Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

priznat posted:

Why *isn't* there a hot hatch EV this doesn't make any sense.

They could get away with super low range because most owners would just use it to drive to work at best buy, then go out hooning around at night and then plug it in at their parents where they also live.

Having gobs of torque and just making them insane drift/donut machines sounds like a license to print money and/or start a lot of battery fires when it piles into a telephone pole sideways.

The EV6 GT could be considered one I guess, and ioniq 5N

Young people can’t afford new cars, much less a new EV and old people want something bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

The Model S Plaid is a hot hatch. :colbert:

It's a wagon. :colbert:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Honda E fills a lot of dots except it's not available in NA, and it's $40k for some reason.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh yeah the EX30 is it.. I really hope they can produce a lot of them because they are going to sell like crazy I bet.

Now they just need something in between the EX30 and EX90, wagon, and stupidly overpowered.

EV60 T8 Polestar when?!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

the Spark EV is a hot hatch

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

The Model S Plaid is a hot hatch. :colbert:

Cars spontaneously combusting don’t necessarily make it a “hot hatch”

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I’d say the Mini counts too. Range is garbage, but they’re supposed to be fun.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Young people can’t afford new cars, much less a new EV and old people want something bigger.

Seems to be a North American thing.

Elsewhere in the world stuff like the Honda Jazz or Kia Rio is the quintessential grandma mobile (slowly shifting to small crossovers like the CX-30 or Kona). The Jazz is actually really nice these days with it’s pseudo electric drivetrain.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The Honda E fills a lot of dots except it's not available in NA, and it's $40k for some reason.

It also has rather tame performance so I wouldn't call it hot hatch...

The smart #1 is technically an ex30 with shittier infotainment but it has a brabus variant which has the same specs as the twin engined ex30, less than 4s for not to 100kmh.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 16, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ROFLBOT posted:

but the fact is Tesla's are the best EVs at this point. The MYP is easily the best car I've ever owned (and i have owned some pretty reasonable cars over the years)

Is that actually the fact?

My limited understanding is that several other companies are at least on the same tier as Tesla, and that the Korean companies are producing even better EV products.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My limited understanding is that several other companies are at least on the same tier as Tesla, and that the Korean companies are producing even better EV products.

The value add is in the supercharger network, plus the suicide booth ADAS features.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Teslas are kinda mid-tier, but they're cheap and easy to find.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Telsa has price/perf on lock, that's for sure. They top the charts on Bjorn's 1,000 KM challenges if that's important to you. But yeah, mid tier on everything else.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Tesla definitely has the best Level 3 charging network in North America, and it's not even close.

I'm pretty confident in saying that nobody else is approaching Tesla's EV volume yet, either.

Beyond that I would agree that there's enough subjective wiggle-room. The Kia/Hyundai/Genesis models may better match some folks' needs, and stuff like Rivian and Lucid are definitely strong competitors.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Teslas are really efficient (but lie and say they're even more efficient despite being top of the heap anyway). They've also got climate control and battery temp management more sorted than most.

The tax credit plus current discounts on in-stock Teslas make them an extremely competitive value to buy, but I think you can lease a nice Kia / Hyundai for cheaper than you can lease a similar Tesla. Tesla's leases are also uniquely lovely and don't let you buy the car at the end of the lease. The stated reason for this is that all the lease returns will be used as driverless taxis.

I don't know why anyone would buy "Full self driving" now that it's a $15,000 option that disappears when you resell the car.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Cars spontaneously combusting don’t necessarily make it a “hot hatch”

Bolt in shambles

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know why anyone would buy "Full self driving" now that it's a $15,000 option that disappears when you resell the car.

It's a stupid tax.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My wife has an irrational hatred for tesla not for any of the normal reasons but simply because of the door handles.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

My wife has an irrational hatred for tesla not for any of the normal reasons but simply because of the door handles.

Doesn't sound irrational to me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gwrtheyrn posted:

Doesn't sound irrational to me

I suppose not but I don’t see the big deal. I dislike frameless doors more than the flush handles

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

priznat posted:

Same for my wife. Maybe wanting to be able to easily escape a car in an emergency setting isn't irrational.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Teslas are really efficient (but lie and say they're even more efficient despite being top of the heap anyway). They've also got climate control and battery temp management more sorted than most.

The tax credit plus current discounts on in-stock Teslas make them an extremely competitive value to buy, but I think you can lease a nice Kia / Hyundai for cheaper than you can lease a similar Tesla. Tesla's leases are also uniquely lovely and don't let you buy the car at the end of the lease. The stated reason for this is that all the lease returns will be used as driverless taxis.

FSD stays with the car unless you use the new transfer feature to transfer it to a new tesla.

This "FSD disappears" comes from like literally one instance when a car wasn't supposed to have FSD but it got accidentally put on during a service visit and then when the car got sold (with FSD that the seller knew they didn't pay for) it eventually got removed. The only other thing is that if you sell your car to Tesla when they resell it they offer the buyer the option to buy it or not but as the seller that's not really your problem or business, its no longer your car Tesla can do whatever they want with it.

That said, FSD is basically a ponzi scheme/outright fraud so no, no one should ever buy it for more than like 3 grand or so.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Flush door handles are common now in the age of hyper-efficiency.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Unless she starts reaching for her emergency molotov cocktail whenever one drives by, it's understandable. The logic ("reduce drag at all costs") makes sense, but also the implementation could be better.

Depending on my mood and how much of a rush we're in, it's amusing to annoying when someone just stares at the hockey stick confused for a few moments.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

priznat posted:

They could get away with super low range because most owners would just use it to drive to work at best buy, then go out hooning around at night and then plug it in at their parents where they also live.

Having gobs of torque and just making them insane drift/donut machines sounds like a license to print money and/or start a lot of battery fires when it piles into a telephone pole sideways.

https://www.motoringfile.com/2023/08/10/exclusive-photos-details-2025-mini-cooper-jcw-electric/

MINI is going to have a 2dr JCW EV with the new generation next year (not coming to the US for a few model years because *China*). Should be a pretty fun EV hot hatch

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

I’d say the Mini counts too. Range is garbage, but they’re supposed to be fun.

Seems to be a North American thing.

Elsewhere in the world stuff like the Honda Jazz or Kia Rio is the quintessential grandma mobile (slowly shifting to small crossovers like the CX-30 or Kona). The Jazz is actually really nice these days with it’s pseudo electric drivetrain.

I'm so mad at Honda for not bringing the new Fit/Jazz here with the hybrid drivetrain. Guess I'll hold on to me 2013 Fit for another 10 years.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

I suppose not but I don’t see the big deal. I dislike frameless doors more than the flush handles

You directly interact with the door handles every time you get in the car, so even if you mildly dislike it, you're encountering it on a regular basis. The frameless doors are mostly an indirect interaction until you're trying to escape the car in an emergency, and even that is technically indirect.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Same for my wife. Maybe wanting to be able to easily escape a car in an emergency setting isn't irrational.

No not the internal ones (although she thinks the button is stupid) just the outside flush ones. I haven’t even told her about the emergency exit issues they have!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They top the charts on Bjorn's 1,000 KM challenges if that's important to you. But yeah, mid tier on everything else.

The 3 and Y are pretty close to the Koreans on those charts. That's with European charging networks of course so will not translate to North America.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

dissss posted:

The 3 and Y are pretty close to the Koreans on those charts. That's with European charging networks of course so will not translate to North America.

Yeah, hats off to Kia/Hyundai. Having effective battery cooling and overall health management makes all the difference for fast charging.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kill me now posted:

https://www.motoringfile.com/2023/08/10/exclusive-photos-details-2025-mini-cooper-jcw-electric/

MINI is going to have a 2dr JCW EV with the new generation next year (not coming to the US for a few model years because *China*). Should be a pretty fun EV hot hatch

Wait, the next gen is not coming for a couple of years or the JCW isn't? The next gen Mini EV looks terrific, I am really interested to see how the infotainment system ends up because if they really pulled it off it looks like it is going to be one of the best on the market.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Three Olives posted:

Wait, the next gen is not coming for a couple of years or the JCW isn't?

Former. Production is locked down to their core markets and then, once the main sales are done, they'll add the US.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Your in NZ, should have access to the MG 4, supposedly the closest thing to a hothatch EV.

Yeah actually in retrospect we do have access to quite a range of small EV hatches down here:

- Ora good cat, ~$23k USD (which apparently is going to be the base for a new Mini EV, which might explain why it apparently drives quite well)
- MG 4, ~$29k USD (which is apparently quite good but I don't like how it looks, more expensive than the Ora but much more range)
- Mini SE, ~$37k USD (looks cool, probably drives well, really short range and quite small interior)
- Cupra Born, ~42k USD (VW id.3 but better looking and with a better quality interior, crappy capacitive touch steering wheel and infotainment, pretty expensive)

Any of them would meet my needs just fine I guess:

- At least 4 seats
- Enough space inside to fit a bicycle or two with the rear seats folded down
- Enough range to get me to and from the local mountain bike parks in a pinch (but would in reality 99% of the time be used for short trips)

I suppose I should try to drive them and see which ones I like. I doubt the Cupra Born is worth almost double the Ora, the mini is pretty expensive for the range, the MG4 is probably the 'best value' option based purely on the spec sheet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah actually in retrospect we do have access to quite a range of small EV hatches down here:

- Ora good cat, ~$23k USD (which apparently is going to be the base for a new Mini EV, which might explain why it apparently drives quite well)
- MG 4, ~$29k USD (which is apparently quite good but I don't like how it looks, more expensive than the Ora but much more range)
- Mini SE, ~$37k USD (looks cool, probably drives well, really short range and quite small interior)
- Cupra Born, ~42k USD (VW id.3 but better looking and with a better quality interior, crappy capacitive touch steering wheel and infotainment, pretty expensive)

Any of them would meet my needs just fine I guess:

- At least 4 seats
- Enough space inside to fit a bicycle or two with the rear seats folded down
- Enough range to get me to and from the local mountain bike parks in a pinch (but would in reality 99% of the time be used for short trips)

I suppose I should try to drive them and see which ones I like. I doubt the Cupra Born is worth almost double the Ora, the mini is pretty expensive for the range, the MG4 is probably the 'best value' option based purely on the spec sheet.

The peugeot e208 should also do the trick(more expensive than the ora but cheaper than the cupra).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Ioniq 5N is the one I'm looking forward to but it's hard to get too excited about stuff that's probably going to be limited quantity/high demand and thus impossible to get without paying an extra $10k.

No that's not the fact. I very strongly considered moving from my Polestar 2 to an MYP but I don't like that I'd be giving up a lot of things I like in exchange for the roomier interior.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 16, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Corsa too which is the same thing but cheaper.

With the e208 watch out for where they’ve come from - the cheap ones will all be Japanese imports which a Type 1/CHAdeMO

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Three Olives posted:

Wait, the next gen is not coming for a couple of years or the JCW isn't? The next gen Mini EV looks terrific, I am really interested to see how the infotainment system ends up because if they really pulled it off it looks like it is going to be one of the best on the market.

The Countryman EV is coming as a 2025, then likely the production version of the Aceman and once they have the production switched over at the Oxford plant for the 2dr EV they will have them available likely as a 2027MY in the US.

In Europe, Asia and most other locations the 2dr MINI EV will be available as a 2025MY and will be produced in China as part of their partnership with Great wall

SlowBloke posted:

Former. Production is locked down to their core markets and then, once the main sales are done, they'll add the US.

It doesn't actually have anything to do with focusing on core markets. It's got everything to do with the sizeable (27.5%) tariff on Chinese produced vehicles imported to the US put in place by Trump. Until they spin up production of the 2dr EV at MINI Oxford they aren't going to send them to the US.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 16, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ioniq 5N is the one I'm looking forward to but it's hard to get too excited about stuff that's probably going to be limited quality/high demand and thus impossible to get without paying an extra $10k.

I'd love a 5N, but the styling on it seems too much for a middle aged dad like me lol

I imagine they'll be able to sell all they make but they probably won't make that many. Nothing like GTI/R numbers. Less than the Focus ST even. Too spendy for 20 somethings, too crazy looking for old farts.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

priznat posted:

I'd love a 5N, but the styling on it seems too much for a middle aged dad like me lol

I imagine they'll be able to sell all they make but they probably won't make that many. Nothing like GTI/R numbers. Less than the Focus ST even. Too spendy for 20 somethings, too crazy looking for old farts.

No 20-somethings are buying a 600+ HP EV SUV, which is probably a good thing tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Genuinely shocked that the local Honda dealer has multiple Hybrid CRVs in stock, while Hybrid Ravs are still 6-12 month deliveries and Primes are supposedly still approx 2x that.