Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

K8.0 posted:

Naomi Wu is a Chinese woman who has some very unique content but she has a long history of being a huge drama factory, sometimes justified (multiple journalists basically tried to get the CCP to black van her), sometimes completely unjustified. She's by her own admission significantly mentally ill and sometimes that gets in the way. I mean it's not like saying this is going to help but do not drag her into this poo poo, she's just going to start flailing and hurting herself again.

This reminded me of that time on the WAN show that Linus thought the phrase "hard R" was referring the word "retarded" and not the actual word which shouldn't be said by white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mewse posted:

Please don't accuse Linus of being a good spouse without asking him for comment. We follow proper journalistic ethics in this thread.

Going to need Yvonne to post a list of all her partners so we can qualitatively examine her ability to judge men.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sigma posted:

Ok, but how about company founders and owners who name the business after themselves?
Narcissism is a bitch.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Blurb3947 posted:

This reminded me of that time on the WAN show that Linus thought the phrase "hard R" was referring the word "retarded" and not the actual word which shouldn't be said by white people.

Watch his co-hosts face during that segment until he finally figures it out and asks him if he knows what it means.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Blurb3947 posted:

Luke had the opportunity to Walter White the entire channel and didnt

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Blurb3947 posted:

For everyone's viewing pleasure.

https://twitter.com/qwerty_soda/status/1680630807075995648

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

K8.0 posted:

That is the most apt description of Linus I've ever heard.

Yes, obviously everyone who is not cut out to be a CEO is an awful person who is terrible to be around and has no redeeming qualities. Slick CEOs are well noted as being the best spouses.

There are some seriously funny posts in this and the GPU thread over the past few days. Linus is a dink but just LOL if you think you wouldn't be at least 90% as bad if you stumbled into as much success as he has.

I honestly will never understand why your SOP is to defend corporations, CEOs, etc., at all costs. They are not your friends, and you don’t need to defend them. They’ll drag your name through the mud if it means a few more upvotes and views.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mewse posted:

She tasted of cigarette smoke

Still the funniest sentence to have ever come from LTT

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I just don't understand how this could all come from someone with an impeccable reputation!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Please don't take his phones away. Let him dig.

Xakura posted:

He's like a bad decisions elemental

YouTube tech idiots: a bad decisions elemental

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kramjacks posted:

I just don't understand how this could all come from someone with an impeccable reputation!

trust him, bro

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15t0hc4/some_of_you_really_be_like_this/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

lmao holy poo poo

Don't sleep on this if you all haven't seen it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

slidebite posted:

Counterpoint: Most people smart enough to start and run a successful large company probably know when to shut the gently caress up when every time they speak it does more harm than good.

Counter, counterpoint: "most smart enough people" probably represent less than 20% of the horseshit posted on the internet.

I very deliberately firewall my internet postings from my professional persona. Maybe that is a luxury from not being a professional online personality, but holy moly how on earth can you be a first generation netizen and goddamn major tech influencer and not have figured this the gently caress out on your mid 30s?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

the comments on other posts on their sub have gone from wholly critical to a circlejerking cesspit downplaying everything again

whoever was saying before that they could've just ignored it was probably right; putting up a main channel video woke up all the weird nerds who never would've known

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15t1mzn/mandatory_meeting_the_after_madisons_departure/

Someone leaked the mandatory meeting after Madison's departure from LMG. Welp

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

lmao wow the loving sky is falling over there

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

You know a company culture is doing great when work meetings are getting secretly recorded.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Charles Leclerc posted:

Counter, counterpoint: "most smart enough people" probably represent less than 20% of the horseshit posted on the internet.

I very deliberately firewall my internet postings from my professional persona. Maybe that is a luxury from not being a professional online personality, but holy moly how on earth can you be a first generation netizen and goddamn major tech influencer and not have figured this the gently caress out on your mid 30s?

Honestly, considering it's a pattern that's existed since folks got famous enough to run conventions off of the back of webcomics and internet video series in the early 2000s, I think it's somewhat intrinsic to anyone who wields their online success towards those kind of loftier goals. Like, if the idea isn't merely "we're just gonna keep this little thing running for our little clique so we don't have to get normal jobs," but instead "we want to grow this into a huge media and merchandising if not a manufacturing company via our parasocial bonds, maybe even sell out to a conglomerate or become one ourselves," it seems to consistently result in missteps given enough time and growth. Inevitably, between a wide audience and a company bigger than ego(s) alone can manage, it goes sideways. They will always hit a Dunning-Kruger point where their self-confidence reaches farther than their actual capability/empathy, and it'll end at best in a serious apology and massive course correction, and at worst the company and it's IP gradually fade from relevance if not existence entirely.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

I read the transcript and another comment that said it was already posted 6 months ago? and the transcript didn't seem too bad other than the weird common poo poo in startups of gently caress trying to deal with interpersonal stuff

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Inb4 Linus says this is a private meeting taken out of context.

Also lmao at someone making a dumb joke that could be taken the wrong way during an all hands crisis meeting about someone accusing the company of a hostile workplace and harassment.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kalleth posted:

I read the transcript and another comment that said it was already posted 6 months ago? and the transcript didn't seem too bad other than the weird common poo poo in startups of gently caress trying to deal with interpersonal stuff

the content is mostly fine (except james' incredibly bad taste joke) but it makes linus look like a liar. this meeting (allegedly) happened after madison left and linus claimed today the allegations were shocking to him. the meeting indicates he had foreknowledge of the allegations or at least knew enough that he should have asked more questions

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm not sure what kind of slam dunk, if any, this is.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Three Olives posted:

Any bets if James Strieb has a job after the investigation is complete?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Proof that it's not just Linus who is a bad decision elemental. Literally any other time making a joke about Linus being a stripper would be great, but he had to save it for right then.

In the end nothing about this is really going to hurt LMG, but god they are doing their best to run it straight into the ground. Impressive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ultraklystron posted:

Yeah, they also had a whole video running through the myriad physical deficiencies of the labs building after the fact, and yes, that didn't even include their current problems with the roof only being built to keep a warehouse warm in the winter, not support a full heat pump system for AC and heating, IE: proper climate control. They clearly saw something that was near enough by and not obviously falling apart come up for sale, and given the FOMO nature of Vancouver real estate and the generally lax operating procedures at LMG, they didn't do anything close to due diligence for their use case.

Worth also noting they nearly moved the whole business from Surrey in the Lower Mainland to Kelowna in the Okanogan to save money, and the only reason they backed off on that was because they were already way too big not lose significant head count as they weren't in a position to pay for relocation for everyone. They clearly really considered it though, and Luke in particular seemed keen on the idea in WAN shows.

I live here and I still can't figure out how the vancouver area can support any working population with the way things are with a lack of really high paying jobs (tech or otherwise) and absolutely insane residential rents. Commercial rents are apparently not bad though and there's a lot to choose from these days with the whole WFH transition.

My company is looking for office + lab space now so I have a bit of a view on it, and I find it hilarious LMG settled on one of those warehouses to move into not realizing they basically become big sweaty metal boxes in the summer. They could easily get some regular office space, partition off a lab area, and have to add minimal HVAC to support it. It's not like they're running rows of server racks they just test LED laden gamer PCs for gently caress's sake.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Charles Leclerc posted:

Linus just said he had no recollection of the things that Madison claimed happened.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ultraklystron posted:

Honestly, considering it's a pattern that's existed since folks got famous enough to run conventions off of the back of webcomics and internet video series in the early 2000s, I think it's somewhat intrinsic to anyone who wields their online success towards those kind of loftier goals. Like, if the idea isn't merely "we're just gonna keep this little thing running for our little clique so we don't have to get normal jobs," but instead "we want to grow this into a huge media and merchandising if not a manufacturing company via our parasocial bonds, maybe even sell out to a conglomerate or become one ourselves," it seems to consistently result in missteps given enough time and growth. Inevitably, between a wide audience and a company bigger than ego(s) alone can manage, it goes sideways. They will always hit a Dunning-Kruger point where their self-confidence reaches farther than their actual capability/empathy, and it'll end at best in a serious apology and massive course correction, and at worst the company and it's IP gradually fade from relevance if not existence entirely.

No question, it was certifiably stupid that he didn't take the money on the table and it is apex dunning Kruger that this is the situation he finds himself in just months on from that decision.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

grack posted:

Linus just said he had no recollection of the things that Madison claimed happened.

He's either a small business tyrant, as has been claimed for the last few hundred pages, or a big corpo rear end in a top hat as has not been claimed. Don't be mad you were wrong about the former lol.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Charles Leclerc posted:

He's either a small business tyrant, as has been claimed for the last few hundred pages, or a big corpo rear end in a top hat as has not been claimed. Don't be mad you were wrong about the former lol.

Why do you feel the need to defend him, at all?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Charles Leclerc posted:

I made no claims, but I think I'll stick with "general, all-around rear end in a top hat" and figure that will cover all the bases.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

the content is mostly fine (except james' incredibly bad taste joke) but it makes linus look like a liar. this meeting (allegedly) happened after madison left and linus claimed today the allegations were shocking to him. the meeting indicates he had foreknowledge of the allegations or at least knew enough that he should have asked more questions

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Charles Leclerc posted:

quote:

Number three, always wait to hear both sides of a story before passing your own judgment. Be cautious when you know that one side is bound by legal and ethical disclosure guidelines, when the other is not.

If you have any reason to believe otherwise, then I refer you again to point number four, which is to address the issue with the individual directly, or bring it to me or Yvonne, or bring it to our third party HR firm. Since I’m not at liberty to share any details about what occurred, uh, all I can do is ask that you trust me and Yvonne.

It kind of proves that Madison did go to HR about the complaints and they were not taken seriously. Linus knew about the incidents unlike the email he sent to The Verge. And the "trust me bro" attitude ... just wow

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

kalleth posted:

The comments on the first thread from 6 months ago sure is something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/11dltrr/unreleased_meeting_december_9_2021/

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

priznat posted:

I live here and I still can't figure out how the vancouver area can support any working population with the way things are with a lack of really high paying jobs (tech or otherwise) and absolutely insane residential rents. Commercial rents are apparently not bad though and there's a lot to choose from these days with the whole WFH transition.

TBH, a lot of people there just can't move. They have their rent or mortgage locked-in such that that so long as they can get some raises, they're not at risk of losing their home or starving. However, unless they are full WFH and can thus can move to the Okangan/Kootanays or out to Vancouver Island, they're locked in to their current residence in the lower mainland as any new lease or mortgage is likely to be much, much more than their current one. I bailed for the island so I could finally own a home because I could finesse a WFH option pre-COVID, and I've never looked back, but I also can't unless I won Maxmillions or got an amazing job offer in the city with fantastic relocation benefits.

priznat posted:

My company is looking for office + lab space now so I have a bit of a view on it, and I find it hilarious LMG settled on one of those warehouses to move into not realizing they basically become big sweaty metal boxes in the summer. They could easily get some regular office space, partition off a lab area, and have to add minimal HVAC to support it. It's not like they're running rows of server racks they just test LED laden gamer PCs for gently caress's sake.

Again, seems pretty clear it was because it was near enough to their main office that they could share an internet connection over beamed wifi dishes and later even (illegally??) temporarily microtrench fiber to it, and they had money on hand to get it, so they did it, not realizing it probably wasn't even a good place just for storage and order fulfillment, let alone temperature controlled testing. Impulsive thinking, fomo, dunning-kruger again, etc.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 16, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

kalleth posted:

Yes supposedly it was from the original meeting after she left in 2021.

So even worse if he is claiming to have no knowledge, like he just did.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SourKraut posted:

Why do you feel the need to defend him, at all?

I don't have a horse in the race :shrug:

Buuuut, I have defended myself against a multi-million dollar employer and been successful in doing so despite their bully boy rear end in a top hat thousands of pounds an hour litigators. Nailing one's colours to the mast in a very ugly, public airing of dirty laundry is moronic at best. None of us know what was going on, it just looks horrific at face value and all that seems to be happening is a bunch of people are throwing whatever poo poo they can dig up to the wall for Reddit karma to see what sticks.

The bottom line is if anything that happened to Madison is true that entire org should be done with. Everything else is a the lovely online drama chumfest, including this thread lunching itself over the last 48 hours.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The poster of that leaked video also posted this.

quote:

I've been in contact with quite a few LMG employees. Many have given me statements about the abuse and sexual harassment Madison endured while working there.

One of them also gave me a recording of this meeting that was never supposed to be released. This is my proof that I have talked to LMG employees and have sources inside. I post this as verification of that fact.

I cannot out these people or give direct quotes out of fear they will suffer consequences, but I hope they come forward publicly even if it means risking their careers.

I can tell you their accounts match hers. And even go into further detail. One person constantly was mentioned more than others, but she's not naming names so I won't either.

She is telling the truth.

This meeting kinda goes along with how she mentioned her being sexually harassed was regarded as he causing drama.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Weaponized Autism posted:

The poster of that leaked video also posted this.

It's GN Steve in a 1920s investigative journalist get up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's GN Steve in a 1920s investigative journalist get up
gamers noir