Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dango Bango posted:

Is there a text messaging app that everyone prefers? I've always just used the stock Samsung app, but some of the group chat limitations have become really annoying (e.g. not being able to rename group chats)

If you donīt give a poo poo about privacy, Telegram is IMO the nicest and most featureful messaging app out there.

If you care about privacy, SimpleX Chat is probably the best that exists right now.

If you kinda care about privacy but still want to talk to people using phone numbers, go with Signal.

The self-hosting thread has a bunch of people running Jellyfin, too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985071

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

I still use Textra and think it's great for SMS/MMS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra

This?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Yep, that's the one. I use Textra too and I love it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is there anyway to have a rotating album of images as a lock screen, independent from the wallpaper?

It seems the only way to keep it separate/different from the live wallpaper is to use a single static image. (OnePlus 9P)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NihilCredo posted:

If you donīt give a poo poo about privacy, Telegram is IMO the nicest and most featureful messaging app out there.

If you care about privacy, SimpleX Chat is probably the best that exists right now.

If you kinda care about privacy but still want to talk to people using phone numbers, go with Signal.

The self-hosting thread has a bunch of people running Jellyfin, too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985071

SimpleX is pretty neat and honestly more portable than Signal since it's not tied to your phone #.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
What was the music app people liked that wasn't PowerAmp? The last update broke shuffle - it'll play two songs and then leave the playlist or album and shuffle all songs - and I can't get any sense if it is being fixed. Might as well look what's out there now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

effika posted:

What was the music app people liked that wasn't PowerAmp? The last update broke shuffle - it'll play two songs and then leave the playlist or album and shuffle all songs - and I can't get any sense if it is being fixed. Might as well look what's out there now.

AIMP?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

teethgrinder posted:

Is there anyway to have a rotating album of images as a lock screen, independent from the wallpaper?

It seems the only way to keep it separate/different from the live wallpaper is to use a single static image. (OnePlus 9P)

Tapet seems to do this, but it randomly generates wallpapers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

My tablet has a feature called Magazine Unlock, and it lets me pick any images on my device to use as the lock screen wallpaper. It changes every time you turn the screen on.

Unfortunately, it seems to be part of the custom version of EMUI it uses, because I can't find it as a stand alone app. I've been looking for something similar for the last few years, and so far, no luck.

If you so find something, please share it. I'll do the same if I find anything.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'll be taking a trip soon for which I bought various tickets (plane, train, events). Is there an app that lets me add the various pdfs? I thought Google Wallet might but it seems fairly limited and doesn't let you add just any pdf or screenshot.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Wasn't quite it, but I did find Musicolet while investigating. It is pretty stripped down and doesn't even ask for network permissions. It's just a music player with some quality of life options.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I'll be taking a trip soon for which I bought various tickets (plane, train, events). Is there an app that lets me add the various pdfs? I thought Google Wallet might but it seems fairly limited and doesn't let you add just any pdf or screenshot.

My solution to this would just be a folder on google drive. It won't look fancy but it should work.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

St_Ides posted:

My solution to this would just be a folder on google drive. It won't look fancy but it should work.

I'd recommend this. If you want to be really fuckin' lah-di-dah fancy, do yourself an itinerary in Google Docs with links to the PDFs, Google Maps directions etc as needed, set everything to 'available offline', and then you've pretty much built your own version of every trip planning website out there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like att has finally blocked me from tethering. Is there a socks/http proxy I can run on my phone so I can route my tethered laptop and get internet access on the go? I am happy to pay, just not att.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Incessant Excess posted:

KDE Itinerary is made exactly for this purpose.

Nowadays they only release on F-Droid, but if you donīt have that, there is an older version on the Play Store that I imagine still works fine (since it's an offline app).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there an app that gives me a mild electric shock every time I try to install one of those stupid gatcha/microtransaction games?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

YggiDee posted:

Is there an app that gives me a mild electric shock every time I try to install one of those stupid gatcha/microtransaction games?

I can do it. Just pay me $1 per shock.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Uthor posted:

I can do it. Just pay me $1 per shock.

For $0.99 I will give you a chance at winning greater and increasingly rarer shock levels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I was thinking about this some more (not like I don't have a poo poo load of other things on my mind right now!). Would it help if you removed all payment information from your device, thus making you enter everything when it comes to buy? Then you have to jump through many more hoops. I can see extra steps making you rethink your transactions.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can make them require full authorization each time which if you couple with a long password you have to go to a PW manager to retrieve, should give you long enough to think about your awful choices.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm looking for an app that can 1) do all the podcast app things, fetch them off the web automatically etc, but also 2) actually play files from the Podcasts folder on my phone, which every music player seems to deliberately ignore (and I want them to do that, so that I don't randomly shuffle hour long podcast episodes into my music). Is there one that does both?

E: Just found one - AntennaPod. It's on the FDroid store.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 28, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've played podcasts I've downloaded on Pocket Casts, but I don't remember if they automatically get added to my library/playlist or if I had to add them myself.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah pocketcasts has it. You just have to add them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like Podcast Addict, for that one you can add a folder of downloaded files by making a virtual podcast. So I have a folder called "audio" where any old files not associated with a subscription are etc. And also one for audiobooks.

Say, any good habit/reminder apps where you can just pick some things to remind you every day, and you can enable or disable some etc? And you don't have to mark it checked or reset it like Microsoft To-Do makes you etc.

I've been mainly using Google Keep reminders, and this app called Habits for notifications, though I don't tend to keep up with checking them off every time. And it'd be handy to disable and re-enable some reminders without having to edit/delete and then remake the reminders again etc. Or something.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Just to save someone else a headache: if you're using Facebook and have set up two factor authentication despite the app saying you'll get a code via sms (and not receiving one) it wants one from an authenticator app.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
so, I have a rooted pixel 6 pro, and currently I use swift backup to backup all my apps and app data to the cloud. this happens on a schedule every morning at 3am because it usually takes an hour or so, and so it's done when I wake up. this works great for me, but recently I went to do a fresh install of lineageOS, and realized that the only way I've been transferring my actual media data (photos, music, podcasts, etc) is to just manually drag the folders on to my computer from my phone, and then drag them back when I'm done.

I'm wondering, does anyone here have a nice solution for doing nightly backups of media data that would ideally work the same way swift backups nightly scheduled backup works? I'd imagine something like this is out there and exists, I just don't know about it. I'd like to stay away from Google products and services if possible.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's probably a lot of specific tools to do this, but I use syncthing. It's opensource and you can just have it sync A to B with very little effort.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Khablam posted:

There's probably a lot of specific tools to do this, but I use syncthing. It's opensource and you can just have it sync A to B with very little effort.

does it have the ability to auto sync on a schedule? I've heard of it before (and synctrezor or whatever the other thing is) but I never really dug in to check it out

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hark posted:

does it have the ability to auto sync on a schedule? I've heard of it before (and synctrezor or whatever the other thing is) but I never really dug in to check it out
Not without external scheduling - which isn't hard to achieve, you can tasker the android app and schedule on windows - but I don't know why you need this. That's a feature sold to cloud users as a perk but it's mostly about them load managing. You can just leave it on all the time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

hark posted:

No. I have mine set to sync while charging and connceted to my home wifi, which is possible.

Before switching to Syncthing I was using Foldersync, which does have the ability to sync on a schedule. I was syncing with an smb server, but it has options for most common file hosting systems.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Anyone got a decent free Roku remote app that doesn't pop up ads while I'm trying to press buttons? I've tried three, including the official app, and I'm dangerously close to hurling my phone violently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Organic Lube User posted:

Anyone got a decent free Roku remote app that doesn't pop up ads while I'm trying to press buttons? I've tried three, including the official app, and I'm dangerously close to hurling my phone violently.

I got so annoyed by the app and hated the physical remote it came with (very little functionality) so I ended up just buying a $20 universal remote. Not the answer you're looking for...but I was where you're at.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s weird, I use the official Roku iOS app just for the remote and there’s not an ad to be seen. I’m surprised the android one would be so different.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Ads on a remote app is just
:bighow:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

I got so annoyed by the app and hated the physical remote it came with (very little functionality) so I ended up just buying a $20 universal remote. Not the answer you're looking for...but I was where you're at.

That's funny, I think the Roku remote is near perfect. The only thing I wish is they included the IR codes for receivers, which must take several extra kb of memory. I asked why they wouldn't and basically got told I was a moron. Like I just want to control the volume on my receiver with the same remote that I do 100% of my TV watching with, sorry. The new ones are even USB rechargeable.

(To make it truly perfect - remove the mic and paid placement buttons and replace them with more 1/2 shortcuts.)

Also I don't remember popup ads on the roku remote, but I remember it doing unsolicited notifications and other stuff I thought was annoying so I only install it when I can't find the real remote or want to troll my kid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

want to troll my kid.

Can you use the app to turn on the TV? Do you have to be in the house to use it? I suddenly am having evil ideas.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Can you use the app to turn on the TV? Do you have to be in the house to use it? I suddenly am having evil ideas.

Maybe via HDMI-CEC? I've always found that a bit hit or miss so I haven't played with it. Plus you have to leave your TV in a "not the deepest possible sleep" state so that hdmi is powered up and listening for commands.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have an IR remote app I use but either it's sideloaded or it was removed from the play store.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How many phones have an IR blaster anymore? I think the last one I had was an LG Volt from like 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Misread. Ignore me.