Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

99% sure that bone marrow is not a sociological construct employed by racists.

Problematic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

exmarx posted:

ethnicity is also socially constructed

Ethnicity is useful. But if you want to argue that race is an important concept, go ahead.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 16, 2023

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

exmarx posted:

ethnicity is also socially constructed

I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning here. Surely if its anything, its a mix and a large portion of what defines an ethnicity is geography

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All categories are social constructs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

All categories are social constructs.

Nothing is anything. No, not even that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
hearing unconfirmed reports that we live in a society

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
My Mum is making an effort this year to be an informed voter (possibly the first time ever). Are any of those websites still around that can help you compare party policies, or do a quiz and see how your own value line up? I had a quick look but the ones I saw on Google appear to be overseas based. Are the local ones not spun up yet?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Saros posted:

The reason for M/Pi access to things at younger ages is because being M/Pi is literally as bad for your health as being fifteen years older. I worked extensively on this when deciding funding criteria for Covid treatments and the evidence is extremely conclusive.

I don’t doubt the need to increase access is there, I just really don’t agree on the approach.

I mean flu vax is good because there is a large range of health conditions that makes a person qualified to get a free one, and again, we don’t police that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning here. Surely if its anything, its a mix and a large portion of what defines an ethnicity is geography

It depends a bit on what you mean by "ethnicity" but the way stats NZ measure ethnicity is via self-identification, so literally just a construct. Social constructs can and do correspond to poo poo in the real world. But not in the concrete/empirical/positivist kind of way that racists think.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Self-Identify my rear end, I've had forms altered by the admin person as I'm clearly too white to not be pakeha.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Serephina posted:

Self-Identify my rear end, I've had forms altered by the admin person as I'm clearly too white to not be pakeha.

Yes unfortunately the real world things that social constructs often correspond with are human behaviours :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

It depends a bit on what you mean by "ethnicity" but the way stats NZ measure ethnicity is via self-identification, so literally just a construct. Social constructs can and do correspond to poo poo in the real world. But not in the concrete/empirical/positivist kind of way that racists think.

A social construct that takes fifteen years off your life span though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

me, a white guy with an american accent, trying to get treatment:

"yeah I'm a may-orr-eee"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Serephina posted:

I have a similar thing where I'm a multi-generational kiwi with an iwi affiliation so I don't like to record myself as "New Zealand European" but I'm quite white and have no cultural Māori background so I prefer to identify as Pākehā rather than Māori and every time I get paperwork back it's been 'corrected' to NZ European.
Like, it really makes no difference practically but if you're asking me how I identify don't change my answer.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah a lot of people hear "social construct" and think it means "not real" or something. Usually the same people who think that the outcomes of our systems of social relations, like Māori men dying 15 years younger, are the result of things inherent to people themselves. If only there was a word for that, maybe someone should invent one.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

that makes sense

klen dool
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I guess its a social construct that is an approximation for "a group of people in a certain situation". IE We've constructed a category. Maybe I actually don't understand what a "social construct" is in an academic sense lol

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I have a similar thing where I'm a multi-generational kiwi with an iwi affiliation so I don't like to record myself as "New Zealand European" but I'm quite white and have no cultural Māori background so I prefer to identify as Pākehā rather than Māori and every time I get paperwork back it's been 'corrected' to NZ European.
Like, it really makes no difference practically but if you're asking me how I identify don't change my answer.

Are you me? I've got iwi connections through my dad's side, but culturally I'm not Maori. On the other hand I want no part of anything British or American so I normally just refer to myself as kiwi and it kind of annoys me that that's not an option. I'm sure as hell not European so why do I have to call myself that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I used to put european pakeha but I recently got redefined as being of asiatic horde descent and there's no orcish pakeha option afaik so now idk what to do

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

klen dool posted:

I guess its a social construct that is an approximation for "a group of people in a certain situation". IE We've constructed a category. Maybe I actually don't understand what a "social construct" is in an academic sense lol

ethnicity, like race, is an attempt to taxonomise people based on aesthetics. it considers a wider set of factors (like cultural practices, language, etc.), but only to provide more granularity within the same old race science categories.

it's socially constructed because the categories are totally subjective – why is geography/skin colour/religion the right lens? it's also 'real' (like race) because those social categories have material consequences in employment, the justice system, etc.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

Oh also the high fuel prices aren't permanent, they're a result of specific world events and other oil producers are already stepping up production. Meanwhile cutting fuel taxes will be permanent, no loving way this govt is going to reintroduce fuel taxes.

bump

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

exmarx posted:

ethnicity, like race, is an attempt to taxonomise people based on aesthetics. it considers a wider set of factors (like cultural practices, language, etc.), but only to provide more granularity within the same old race science categories.

it's socially constructed because the categories are totally subjective – why is geography/skin colour/religion the right lens? it's also 'real' (like race) because those social categories have material consequences in employment, the justice system, etc.

Bizarre post. Ethnicity is an explicit rejection of racist essentialism in favour of actual features like self-identification, language and culture.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It would be better if all the ethnicity options on forms were replaced with classes so I could just tick poor

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Ouch looks like u got "exmarxed"!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slavvy posted:

It would be better if all the ethnicity options on forms were replaced with classes so I could just tick poor

Landlord is op, nerf plz

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i can't believe bike tory was wrong about cars

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

El Pollo Blanco posted:

it's 2023 and utter smoothbrains still think there's reds under the bed

I fuckin' wish there were reds under the beds, so I could vote for them

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Bizarre post. Ethnicity is an explicit rejection of racist essentialism in favour of actual features like self-identification, language and culture.

under what definition? race, ethnicity, nationality and culture are all deeply intertwined.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I assure you you can still vote for National, the party that has up until a few years ago placed members of the CCP as sitting MPs.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Beartaco posted:

I assure you you can still vote for National, the party that has up until a few years ago placed members of the CCP as sitting MPs.

what communist agenda was the last national government undertaking

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I do hope you charge rent to all the posts of mine living in your head, but yeah genuinely surprised to be wrong about this one. Announcing an increase to fuel tax less than six weeks from advance voting while petrol costs nearly $3/L is not the kind of election strategy I expected to see from Labour. Especially not when National has literally just made up the numbers for their roading policy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I refuse to believe anyone who says that the gas prices will dip in any significant way in NZ. I won't see sub-$2 petrol at the pump again in my lifetime, barring stuff like the collapse of society.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

I do hope you charge rent to all the posts of mine living in your head,

classic landlord...

don't know anything about the gps process, but i wonder if they had to publish the draft now to meet a statutory timeframe. it has actual govt spending decisions, not made up electoral promises.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beartaco posted:

:lol:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

he wants the plot to be foiled and the guy to be caught and executed? :confused:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seymour seems like the kind of guy who really likes v for vendetta without getting it at all

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I'd let off a few crackers if Seymour got caught commuting sedition.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
new pic dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Serephina posted:

I refuse to believe anyone who says that the gas prices will dip in any significant way in NZ. I won't see sub-$2 petrol at the pump again in my lifetime, barring stuff like the collapse of society.

good