Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

That Little Demon posted:

Dear god... no....

Post the name of your current msq quest and I'll look it up:

Edit: since we're posting about this. I quit twice during ARR before finally getting through and then mainlined it through the rest of the msq from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

One thing I do appreciate about this game is the sheer number of cat girl prostitutes trying to gently caress me for being a tall elf, which is apparently a rare race and gender to be lol

flatluigi posted:

he posted about all the prostitutes he was getting as an elezen

Not quite the same thing you are saying....

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

Post the name of your current msq quest and I'll look it up.

Recruiting the realm

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

flatluigi posted:

he posted about all the prostitutes he was getting as an elezen

they were seeking him out, not vice versa, please work on your reading comprehension

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Recruiting the realm

Yeah you're nearing the end of the patch 2.3 quests. You have 2.4 2.5 and 2.55msq content to come. So I'd say you're a little past halfway (to be fair it does pick up a bit during these patches)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tekopo posted:

There’s a lot of baggage in terms of how the game was patched post-arr. There were actually more quests during that period that were cut, but it’s still a struggle. My personal journey having started playing when Endwalker was about to come out was that I really struggled through the pre HW patches and almost quit because the story was extremely generic, the characters were grating and the quests were boring. I struggled on because of what I heard of the later expansions and I’m glad I did, personally. ShB especially really resonated with me, and made me appreciate how the scions had developed.

My same story. Down to me signing up on EW release weekend because a bunch of people were talking about that FFXIV game for some reason, hm i will try it [bashed in the face with 4k person queues, almost quit right there]

the twins rock hard in shb.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This thread is mostly making me realize that a "don't skip any content, but give me a teleport link to all the housing zones regardless of MSQ unlocks so my alts can go to Shiro house parties from level 1" paid option would print money

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also I'm pretty sure you're supposed to loving hate Alphinaud at this point; it's pretty universal, and the plot will definitely acknowledge that he's an insufferable little poo poo in ARR

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

This thread is mostly making me realize that a "don't skip any content, but give me a teleport link to all the housing zones regardless of MSQ unlocks so my alts can go to Shiro house parties from level 1" paid option would print money

I know you can go to the later housing districts if you're in an FC with a house in one of them regardless of msq progress. Is there really no other way to get to them?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Relyssa posted:

they were seeking him out, not vice versa, please work on your reading comprehension

i genuinely don't actually care if someone erps in the game, it's far from my thing but if it's how someone wants to spend their time i can't stop them. you don't need to get defensive about it

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you're supposed to loving hate Alphinaud at this point; it's pretty universal, and the plot will definitely acknowledge that he's an insufferable little poo poo in ARR

you are but they also don't do enough to redeem him imo. like yeah he gets a pretty big comeuppance and he deserves every bit of it but i still want to throw him into the ocean

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I enjoyed playing through ARR because I liked the gameplay. But I'm known to be a pretty easy to please person that would be satisfied by even the tiniest bit of number go up.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Relyssa posted:

you are but they also don't do enough to redeem him imo. like yeah he gets a pretty big comeuppance and he deserves every bit of it but i still want to throw him into the ocean

he throws himself in the ocean multiple times tbf

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

he throws himself in the ocean multiple times tbf

well he should stay there and think about what he's done

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Alxprit posted:

I enjoyed playing through ARR because I liked the gameplay. But I'm known to be a pretty easy to please person that would be satisfied by even the tiniest bit of number go up.

lol same - and all those zones with side quests to clean off the map

very satisfying to my sicko brain

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I liked ARR well enough, but I love games where I help stupid little people with their stupid little personal problems, so a lot of ARR didn't feel tedious to me

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I for one think we should stop feeding the “actually the thing you like is dogshit” troll every time he Kramers into the thread.

If you like the gameplay but hate the plot just mash B/O for God’s sake.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

hopeandjoy posted:

I for one think we should stop feeding the “actually the thing you like is dogshit” troll every time he Kramers into the thread.

If you like the gameplay but hate the plot just mash B/O for God’s sake.

Really insane response to legit criticism my guy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You come in here every time to bitch about how every part of the game widely praised is crap and enjoy everyone jumping in to tell you how it’s not crap we swear, what else am I supposed to think.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

hopeandjoy posted:

You come in here every time to bitch about how every part of the game widely praised is crap and enjoy everyone jumping in to tell you how it’s not crap we swear, what else am I supposed to think.

Is that what you think is happening? It seems like it is a pretty good mix of agree and disagree? I also post about what I like about the game, and a poor story so far isn’t enough to ruin the rest. I’ve said as much multiple times. For someone so invested in reading you seem to lack the ability to comprehend it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

this is what started the latest run of people responding to you and if you're going to insist you can't see why people might think you're being overly hostile it isn't a hard leap to conclude you're doing it on purpose

hour 600 of finishing the main ARR story and still somehow dealing with the most dreadfully boring refugee crisis or something now that I honestly couldn't give two fucks about. When people say the story of this game is really good, I think they have to be loving trolling. Oh, and every single Lalafel story character in this game I wish would loving die, The sultaness, the uh syndicate guy who has a mustache and is bad, they are absolutely loving awful and have terrible voice actors and it really takes me out of the game. It's a struggle to do any of this story without just skipping every single cutscene and text box about this and its ENDLESS. It has me teleporting around the map 90 times just to uncover a plot the game explicitly showed you was happening 5 hours prior.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Relyssa posted:

well he should stay there and think about what he's done

I like Alphinaud, but for what it's worth you're not alone. An acquaintance of mine finished the ShB post patches recently and his impression of it on Twitter was just a screenshot of a full chat log saying "You slapped Alphinaud. You slapped Alphinaud." over and over again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hopeandjoy posted:

ARR might have been widely praised when it came out but I don't see many defending it nowadays

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

flatluigi posted:

this is what started the latest run of people responding to you and if you're going to insist you can't see why people might think you're being overly hostile it isn't a hard leap to conclude you're doing it on purpose

How the gently caress is giving my opinion in the new player thread about a new player experience “doing it on purpose”? Christ

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

ARR might have been widely praised when it came out but I don't see many defending it nowadays

Yeah, if anything, I see mostly "ARR sucks, wait for HW where it gets good" these days, which I think is doing new players a disservice. The writing and pacing get better from HW on, but it's still the same game, and isn't going to magically not be a "talk to a guy, fetch an item, watch a cutscene where an elf speaks to you of ill omen" game from HW on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the Scions are cool and my friends, except for Yda, Yda sucks and never gets better.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Funky Valentine posted:

All the Scions are cool and my friends, except for Yda, Yda sucks and never gets better.

Aww I like her Stormblood arc.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yda gets poo poo on more than she deserves imo, there's valid crit of how they handled her writing in StB but a lot of the hatred of her character is completely out of proportion to that criticism.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I like Yda and I never got the hate for her or Lyse for that matter.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
tbf if all i had to go on was crystal tower, hildibrand, and coils vs. the ARR main story by 2.3 i'd wonder why the main story was so slow too. it's funny how all the side content from back then is a way better indicator of what the game becomes than the main story at the time

i also remember experiencing heavensward patch-by-patch, nobody had the current level of confidence in the writing back then and weren't expecting it to be as good as it turned out, or to actually pay attention to all the details it put down.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

tbf if all i had to go on was crystal tower, hildibrand, and coils vs. the ARR main story by 2.3 i'd wonder why the main story was so slow too. it's funny how all the side content from back then is a way better indicator of what the game becomes than the main story at the time

i also remember experiencing heavensward patch-by-patch, nobody had the current level of confidence in the writing back then and weren't expecting it to be as good as it turned out, or to actually pay attention to all the details it put down.

I mean it helps that CT was literally written by the woman who would go on to be the lead writer for ShB and EW. Ishikawa is an amazing character and emotion writer and the game is stronger for it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

plenty of people have come through here to grouse about the 2.x quests so idk why TLD's posts in particular have gotten people this rowdy

heck I bet one of them was YOU

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 17, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Vitamean posted:

plenty of people have come through here to grouse about the 2.x quests so idk why TLD's posts in particular have gotten people this rowdy

heck I bet one of them was YOU

We all know why

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They hated him because he was right.

Born in a mountain
Raised in a cave
Catgirls and blackjack are all that he craves.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I mean I'm mostly bitching about his posting because he won't listen to advice that would make his experience less miserable if he's that uninvested and I'm tired of seeing him (which I have solved) and everyone reacting to him (unsolvable).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

First time dealing with TLD or something?

He’s right though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think it's less that he's complaining about 2.x and ARR, and more that he keeps doing it over and over and over.

We get it, the ARR quests drag on and on. We don't need to hear the same complaint every other quest.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
ARR is just that long.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

TLD is right, I don't know why y'all are getting so wound up about it. Outside of a few high moments the ARR MSQ is a loving slog. I first started playing at the release of 3.0, and got so burned out by ARR that I quit before fighting Leviathan and didn't touch the game again until Endwalker.

I wanted to kick past me for giving up, because everything that came after was so, so good. Yes, even Stormblood despite its faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

when they did the steps of faith rework I started a ng+ run at 2.4 and that patch's travel time alone eats up more time than some modern patch's complete MSQ runs. it's just a long slog.