Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Musse's uncle or Jusis's dad if you count minor characters?

But there's a bunch of minor characters who be like that so I dunno if they should really count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Whoever created the clear file for my CS4 playthrough was a sick pervert who chose to omit bond events for most of the male characters; they have all the female character notes except for one of Laura's, and even missed out on Crow's great second bond event. What kind of sicko would be like "I'm more interested in Emma or Alisa's second bond event than Crow's"?! Unacceptable!

Oh poo poo. I thought crow died.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He got better

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’ll forget by the time I get there anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But there's a bunch of minor characters who be like that so I dunno if they should really count.

The uncle is a comic relief character in Reverie. Additionally unrepentant assholes, surely (to be safe let's say Reverie spoilers) Shirley? Guenter? Luciola is unrepentant for what she did, even if she is personally nice to Schera. I know that Walter appears in Kuro so I'm guessing he gets absolution.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

The uncle is a comic relief character in Reverie. Additionally unrepentant assholes, surely (to be safe let's say Reverie spoilers) Shirley? Guenter? Luciola is unrepentant for what she did, even if she is personally nice to Schera. I know that Walter appears in Kuro so I'm guessing he gets absolution.

Wrong uncle.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ohhh that uncle. Yeah the one I was thinking of is basically like Kloé's uncle who's also kicked out of the line of succession and relegated to comic relief as a stuff rich bastard who keeps getting spurned.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Ohhh that uncle. Yeah the one I was thinking of is basically like Kloé's uncle who's also kicked out of the line of succession and relegated to comic relief as a stuff rich bastard who keeps getting spurned.

Dunan and Wilhelm best uncles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I think Kloe's uncle somehow managed to turn his life around and became a successful diplomat?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall he becomes a diplomat but is furious about it, considering the role beneath him.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
my recollection was by the end of Second Chapter, he had turned his attitude around and helped resolve the crisis, though I don't remember what exactly

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

He stood up to ouroboros and was a cool dude briefly in TC. Not as cool as Gilbert, the star of the game of course.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Musse's uncle is merely a buffoon. Self-absorbed, but relatively harmless, especially since Musse plays him like a fiddle.

Jusis' dad is a case of a minor character whose asshattery has had series-spanning consequences.

(Cold Steel arc spoilers)

His decision to have the Northern Jaegers raze Celdic not only causes his own imprisonment and more or less permanently places Jusis in the position of acting Duke of Kreuzen, but that act is also used by Osborne as an excuse to annex North Ambria later on, granting Aurelia an opportunity to earn a pardon in the process which eventually lead her to Thors. In addition, his decision to treat his biological son like dirt while putting his pretend-son in the position as heir in order to keep up appearances leaves Rufus with a very hollowed-out sense of self, eventually causing him to become Osborne's first protege and leaving a rather unsavory mark on Erebonia and Crossbell.

It's pretty crazy how different Zemuria might have been if Helmut Albarea had been slightly less of a deplorable rear end in a top hat.

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall he becomes a diplomat but is furious about it, considering the role beneath him.

I know he's occasionally mentioned in newspapers as being present as a diplomat at events where Klaudia cannot attend, but I don't recall ever hearing how he feels about that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Erpy posted:

Musse's uncle is merely a buffoon. Self-absorbed, but relatively harmless, especially since Musse plays him like a fiddle.

No, her CS2 uncle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I decided that getting the character notes achievements was not worth the price of seeing a lot of the bonding events and stringing along a bunch of characters I had no intention of going any farther with anyway.

But it's not his fault, it's that dang magic curse which made Wads do it. It's just like Ash, except Ash took responsibility for his actions and had actual lingering guilt for them. After all, we can't have assholes in the game, even assholes have to have a heart of gold or really be victims themselves, or otherwise be depicted as sympathetic. (Seriously, other than Campanella/Novartis, who was the last human character who was an out-and-out rear end in a top hat?)

To be fair, Wads is not entirely excused, and Hugo finally "indefinitely suspends" him. It's explicitly stated that the curse took root due to Wads' existing ambition. The funny part to me is that Wads was even still employed and not in jail after his previous crimes.

Also, I get the impression that Campanella is going to get the redemption treatment. CS4 has been making a point out of Campanella being genuinely bothered when Juna is like "you're an rear end in a top hat!" (which was pretty lol, though I did appreciate Juna just outright being like "what the gently caress is your problem, drat you're a condescending piece of poo poo"). And later Campanella is mad at Gilbert for attacking Eryn. Like somehow this is "beyond the pale" for the guy who is helping to start a continent-spanning mega-war.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Oh poo poo. I thought crow died.

Genuinely sorry about this and added spoiler tags to that post.

It may have been obvious to most people, but it also wasn't to me! Granted, the game doesn't exactly let that mystery stick around for very long, but still.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Juna is the best character in Cold Steel for her willingness to just call all the villains horrible pieces of poo poo and try to fight them rather then having MCU banter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think people were really bantering with Campanella.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, they usually just react like they do to any other enemy. It's nice that Juna calls out Campanella specifically, though.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm pretty sure Ouroboros are genuinely trying to save the world from a real threat, they're just arrogant dickheads about it, and maybe misguided in their solution because they underestimate just how much the Power of Friendship can let you get through basically anything without significant casualties.

My favorite comedy option that would piss everyone off would be the Grandmaster knows she's in a video game and the Eternal Recurrence plan is basically "do a bunch of random bullshit for the sake of plot twists to keep players engaged, because when they stop making sequels the world ends". It would make for the world's longest shaggy dog story, and I would find that hilarious.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, they usually just react like they do to any other enemy. It's nice that Juna calls out Campanella specifically, though.

Its so funny they have beef. Its great

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

It may have been obvious to most people, but it also wasn't to me! Granted, the game doesn't exactly let that mystery stick around for very long, but still.

I bear full responsibility for any spoilers I stumble into. I actually bookmarked this thread after I finished CS 1 which I blind bought in 2019 and realized I couldn’t read it because of how plot heavy the games are.

I have since made peace with the fact that I’ll see some spoilers.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Thoom posted:

I'm pretty sure Ouroboros are genuinely trying to save the world from a real threat, they're just arrogant dickheads about it, and maybe misguided in their solution because they underestimate just how much the Power of Friendship can let you get through basically anything without significant casualties.

Are they, though? (CS4) The Grandmaster implies that dealing with Ishmelga extended the lifetime by three years, which appears to be part of their goals. So part of it is specifically provoking that to occur.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Cyouni posted:

Are they, though? (CS4) The Grandmaster implies that dealing with Ishmelga extended the lifetime by three years, which appears to be part of their goals. So part of it is specifically provoking that to occur.

I just watched that scene since I actually missed it when I played the game. I don't think it conflicts with my interpretation. You could also take her saying "3 years until the world returns to primordial nothingness" with an implicit "unless I do something about it". Also, (Reverie post-game) the new president of Calvard seems to be generally aware of what Ouroboros is going for, and seems unconcerned about it enough to make a non-interference pact with them, which I wouldn't expect if they were actually trying to destroy the world.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

TheMightyBoops posted:

I bear full responsibility for any spoilers I stumble into. I actually bookmarked this thread after I finished CS 1 which I blind bought in 2019 and realized I couldn’t read it because of how plot heavy the games are.

I have since made peace with the fact that I’ll see some spoilers.

Respect
Hopefully we tell you the cool ones that excite you, tell anyone to shut up if the opposite though, our goal is maximum enjoyment for all.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Thoom posted:

This is where I'm at as well, though my only real "evidence" is from the book 31 Cypress Trees from way back in Sky FC. I won't paste the full text, but the important bit is the last four segments:

31 Cypress Trees posted:

The good farmer Sheprott
In order to confect a single grand cypress
The good farmer Sheprott
Planted thirty-two cypress trees
The good farmer Sheprott
With his loving goodness for them all
The good farmer Sheprott
Brought thirty-one cypress trees to the depths of ruination
My assumption here is that the Grandmaster has (or possibly will have) access to the Sept-Terrion of Time, which is letting her enact a large-scale "ends justify the means" plan to just churn through timelines until she finds one that works.

As long as I'm throwing wild big picture theories out here, I might as well also throw out my biggest stretch of a thought: Based only on the fact that Campanella seems unaging and the fact that he's most often worked as an observer for the Grandmaster, I'm wondering if he might actually be (or be a part of or an aspect of) the Sept-Terrion of Time. By observing Ouroboros' plans and their results, he then facilitates the transfer of that knowledge to the Grandmaster so that she can make use of that knowledge if she needs to bail on the current timeline and try again.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The fun irony of Trails being one of the first major secret societies, but it's so long-form that those it inspired might get to its plot first since there's only so many variations.

I read a kinda mid novel that spiked in quality just to do a Renne plot better than Trails, and the influences were really obvious.

Main writer loves novels too, so we're gonna be in a situation where there's a circular loop of inspiration.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My other wild speculation is that the Grandmaster is actually Aidios or an avatar thereof, mostly based on her theme being full of pipe organs, and that she's the biggest "big bad" we know of and in JRPGs that's always God. Before CS4 I thought the Grandmaster was going to turn out to be C. Epstein, but that's pretty clearly not true at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MythosDragon posted:

The fun irony of Trails being one of the first major secret societies, but it's so long-form that those it inspired might get to its plot first since there's only so many variations.

I read a kinda mid novel that spiked in quality just to do a Renne plot better than Trails, and the influences were really obvious.

Main writer loves novels too, so we're gonna be in a situation where there's a circular loop of inspiration.

I don't think Trails invented these storylines.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Kuro chapter 1: Falcom, please don't ship the 16 year old high school girl with the 24 year old sketchy not-Bracer and stop joking about the cop hitting on her. It's creepy

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clarste posted:

Oroboros is literally BigFire from Giant Robo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thoom posted:

My favorite comedy option that would piss everyone off would be the Grandmaster knows she's in a video game and the Eternal Recurrence plan is basically "do a bunch of random bullshit for the sake of plot twists to keep players engaged, because when they stop making sequels the world ends". It would make for the world's longest shaggy dog story, and I would find that hilarious.

The problem is that they do a lot of stuff that is pretty inexcusable no matter how you look at it. Like a lot of the stuff they do is just various crimes against humanity. Faceless was literally a guy who abuses children.

I agree that the organization's overall goal is likely something important/sympathetic, but the actual things they do definitely go beyond just being arrogant or misguided.

That being said, I think there's a good chance that the story itself will present them in the way you describe, but as an extension of the way that it's generally really bad about tackling with the stuff its various major characters do.

Clarste posted:

I'm confused if that post is literally suggesting that Trails was the first media with a "major secret society" in it

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 17, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, say what you will, Ouroboros has lines even they don't cross. They straight up destroy a child prostitution ring for no reason than disgust, they weren't even a part of the big raid on DG but Loewe and Joshua sacked Paradise... was it on someone's orders or was it a thing they did alone? either way, Ouroboros was initially an upgrade for Renne.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Junpei posted:

Well, say what you will, Ouroboros has lines even they don't cross. They straight up destroy a child prostitution ring for no reason than disgust, they weren't even a part of the big raid on DG but Loewe and Joshua sacked Paradise... was it on someone's orders or was it a thing they did alone? either way, Ouroboros was initially an upgrade for Renne.

It’s implied in the Crossbell games that Paradise was destroyed because members connect with/pawns of Ouroboros were implicated and being blackmailed due to things they did at Paradise.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Regarding Ouroboros: I have a lot of speculation :siren: (Heavy spoilers for entire series thus far. You have been warned.):siren: I fully believe that they already have the sept-terrion of time, and that their symbol is the holy beast of time, a black snake.

Campanella is Enforcer 0, the Fool.

The Holy Beast of Time will be revealed as Enforcer XXI. (The world. The completion of the Fool's journey. At least one major deck refers to this card as time. Several decks use, instead of a wreath, a loving ouroboros.)

The two might be the same entity. The Fool is the beginning of the tale, the World is the end.

Maybe Campanella's more like what Celine is to Roselia.

That's my most locked down speculation. What follows is a bunch of scattered observations and hypotheticals in no real order. Trying to connect some dots.

The Aureole started creating virtual realities and altering brain chemistry much like taking drugs would. One such world was the higher plane Phantasma. A realm that, among other things, could manifest demons and fiends.

The D∴G Cult invented Gnosis, a drug McBurn described as able to free one from the shackles of this world. It was developed to share knowledge with their sept-terrion. It can manifest people into demons and grant them insight. Guenter describes it as able to channel and absorb the personalities of others.

Various people refer to Zemuria as "this possible world". It's known that Zemuria is a relatively low plane, cosmologically speaking.

The Gnomes and Alchemists are pretty similar. They have more knowledge of the world before the collapse, and their technology seems to lean toward creating or perceiving other dimensions, manipulation of souls, minds, and physical bodies.

The Sept-terrion all seem to act kind of like computers.The sacrament programs, etc, etc.

Souls seem to be real, and can do weird poo poo. Homonculi may have them. It is, in fact, necessary for them to have one to become the Sword of the End, a blade capable of killing a Holy Beast (but also the most powerful fragment of the great one.) At least one person has reincarnated. As an aside, given the similarity of Valimar/Ishmelga recognizing Dreichels to the Recluse cube mistaking Kloe as Celeste, Kloe might actually be Celeste.

Yet, time alteration is also explicitly possible. Maybe Zemuria having linear time is weird.

Septium can do poo poo, but seems finite. The Sept-terrion have godlike power but have been altered/destroyed/vanished. Stigma are at least strong enough to power an entire possible reality. There are never more than twelve.

The Salt Pale probably gets swept aside as a calamity/religious phenomenon, and we accept that because of the Real World Biblical reference to a pillar of salt, but isn't the way it behaves kind of the same as a Grey Goo? If artifacts are just technology from before the collapse, who's to say that "calamities" aren't just the same thing, but wilder.

A speculation claiming that reality is just a simulation doesn't seem like it does the concept justice. It's more that.... It's an infinitely complex web of different simulations, realities, etc, working within/against/in conjunction with one another.

Phew. Taking it all in at once... Doesn't clear things up, but it does seem more coherent and deliberate than it did before.

Edit
Forgot one. Lechter has superhuman insight into the nature of the world, and even surmises at least one weird connection between technology and souls, when he intuits the RAMDA using a "spirit key". Given what we know of the Aureole, the Cult, and Lechter's entire personality, I think it's probably safe to assume that he's a recreational drug user.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 17, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've largely lost interest in speculating. I don't really see much of a point in spending effort and energy trying to logically work stuff out, especially after Reverie introduced (Reverie finale end) a "spontaneously appearing" AI which took over all automated/electronic systems in the world, somehow dismantled millions of tons of military equipment, shipped it to a factory which it also rebuilt, then shipped all those products to a point in the middle of a lake which is visible from every shore, then built a gigantic sky tower - all in no more than ONE MONTH - with literally no one noticing literally any trace of it at all.

Also, I cannot believe that people seriously complained about me calling stuff an rear end-pull earlier, when the "actual answer" was "a machine which can - using power and resources obtained from [NOT SPECIFIED] - perfectly replicate hypothetical stuff which could have happened in some universe somewhere, and can do literally anything at all without regards to "the limits of the possible."" For example, this AI can replicate artifacts. That is something which Extremely Intelligent Super-Genius Schmidt says is Completely Impossible in this very game, and he has the incredibly advanced technology and vast computing power of Reinford, Epstein, Zeiss to work on that problem. ...And somehow all that poo poo together is NOT an rear end-pull?

This is total "Somehow, Palpatine returned" energy. The writers putting in that "somehow" does not make them and their work immune from criticism.

I think I deserve apologies from several people. Somehow though, I don't expect I'll get any.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 17, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Thoom posted:

I just watched that scene since I actually missed it when I played the game. I don't think it conflicts with my interpretation. You could also take her saying "3 years until the world returns to primordial nothingness" with an implicit "unless I do something about it". Also, (Reverie post-game) the new president of Calvard seems to be generally aware of what Ouroboros is going for, and seems unconcerned about it enough to make a non-interference pact with them, which I wouldn't expect if they were actually trying to destroy the world.

I was actually disagreeing with only the last part, whoops. Clarity in quoting.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Also, I cannot believe that people seriously complained about me calling stuff an rear end-pull earlier, when the "actual answer" was "a machine which can - using power and resources obtained from [NOT SPECIFIED] - perfectly replicate hypothetical stuff which could have happened in some universe somewhere, and can do literally anything at all without regards to "the limits of the possible.""

(Still Reverie) It absolutely is specified, it was one of the first things Lapis mentioned when explaining what Elysium is. It's an AI singularity that runs on and operates via a combination the Orbal Net infrastructure and the underground Septium veins. The latter of which is, you know, the literal source of all magic in this universe. If you buy one of this series' central conceits, that being that humans figured out how to harness magic to create 'modern' technology, then the nature and abilities of the Elysium singularity are in no way asspully. That's just you not paying attention to the drat text of the work you're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reverie plot clearly pulling from TC. And as a big TC fan I gotta respect it.