Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Drunk Canuck posted:

Kevin Porter Jr is a passer

This is the biggest lie in this whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china klay
Jul 4, 2018

Here in Golden State, we believe we have the most versatile roster in the league. Let me give you a few examples...

Starting 5:
Jalen Suggs, 6'4", 22 y/o, 10/3/3
Jalen Williams, 6'6", 22 y/o, 14/5/3
Kevin Durant, unknown, 34 y/o, 29/7/5
Paolo Banchero, 6'10", 20 y/o, 20/7/4
Myles Turner, 6'11", 27 y/o, 18/8/1

KD, Banchero and J-Dub will score at will. Suggs will not be asked to do anything on offense. He will simply hound the other team's primary ball handler for 100% of his minutes. Myles Turner is elite at what he does. Hit 3s and block shots.

But once we go to the bench is where we really start to shine. We believe we can match up with anyone.

We can go all offense:

Jordan Poole / Jalen Williams / Kevin Durant / Paolo Banchero / Dario Saric

We can go all defense:

Jalen Suggs / Gary Payton II / Patrick Williams / Jarred Vanderbilt / Myles Turner

We can go small:

Jalen Suggs / Jordan Poole / Gary Payton II / Kevin Durant / Patrick Williams

We can go jumbo:

Jalen Williams / Kevin Durant / Paolo Banchero / Jarred Vanderbilt / Myles Turner

And, of course, we can mix and match as needed.

While the PG spot might seem like a weakness (it is), all of our primary scorers are also willing and capable passers. (Durant, Paolo, Jalen Williams, Poole all averaged over 3 assists per game last year)

Official depth chart:
Jalen Suggs / Jordan Poole / Patty Mills
Jalen Williams / Gary Payton II / Keyonte George
Kevin Durant / Patrick Williams / Jae'Sean Tate
Paolo Banchero / Jarred Vanderbilt / Dario Saric
Myles Turner / Isaiah Jackson / Jaylin Williams

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
About an hour left on your hype posts. It can technically go into tomorrow but, yeah.

:siren: BYOGM '23 GOON AWARD VOTING QUESTIONS! (PM/EMAIL me your answers privately!) :siren:

1. What team is your favorite built team and why? (can be a "good" or "bad" team, just your personal favorite)

2. What GM made your favorite hype post?

3. What was your favorite moment of BYOGM '23?

4. Your top 3 predicted offenses of BYOGM '23.
Your top 3 predicted defenses of BYOGM '23.

5. Who made the best team? (PLEASE LIST YOUR TOP 5 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE)

Please answer truthfully. Look over Giggs' sheet and the hype posts. Don't try to game the system not giving points to other teams you think are good. That's lame! Also, if you don't submit a list, I can't count any votes towards you!

:siren: PART 2, '23 BB-GM SIM LINEUPS (also PM/email me this) :siren:

Basketball-GM uses:

0 (no minutes)
- (spot minutes, 15 ish)
blank (normal 30-34)
+ (34-40)
++ (40+) for lineups - so specific minutes cannot be specified.

I will need your rotation (which usually doesn't play goes over 10 players unless it's a blowout) and your rotation will be set for the entire season and playoffs. I am a bit busy this week so this will be a quick sim but I will go more in depth with playoff results (although not as in depth as last year).

For example, send me your lineup with either "Let the CPU control lineups and minutes" or you can be more detailed like:

Trae +
Garland
Michael Porter Jr
Mobley ++
Adams -

... (and the rest of your rotation guys, etc.) Put nothing after their name if you want the normal (blank) minutes.

Got it? Thanks!

:siren: All of this will be due by 9:00 PM EST, Wednesday, August 16th! :siren:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are you allowed to vote for yourself or nah

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

That would be pretty gauche

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

No self voting!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That would be pretty gauche

I just want it explicitly stated!

Deadbeat Dad posted:

No self voting!

Cool ty

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I vote for myself

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Well then you're gauche.

Activia
Apr 13, 2022

Goal: some kind of neat moth
The Phoenix Suns

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Bradley Beal
SF - Jaylen Brown
PF - Dwight Powell
C - Deandre Ayton

Bench

DiVincenzo
Hardaway
Harris
Avdija
Plumlee

Okay so this team is fairly weirdly constructed, it has a lot of basketball dudes but no one is quite sure if it will work. When asked for comment GM activia was unavailable due to being on vacation for the last fourth of the offseason. Perhaps this explains the failure to acquire a backup PG until waiver time, or the acquisition of five small forwards.

I feel like the starting lineup will be hard to stop on offense. The triple threat of Kyrie, Brown and Beal, plus Ayton down low is undeniable. Will chemistry matter? Just ask team captain Kyrie Irving, who is reportedly very excited to lead this team to victory. He’ll be staggering bench time with Beal who will be primary ball handler in his absence. Basketball reference tells me that DiVincenzo has played PG before so maybe he’ll pitch in too. (Speaking of which Donte and Joe Harris are two of the best knockdown three point shooters in the league!)

Defensively… hmm Jaylen Brown is good at defense I think. Is Beal good at defense? The wizards aren’t on tv so I don’t remember off the top of my head. Hmm

In conclusion I’m confident this is a playoff team, I think even second round before collapsing spectacularly!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hype Posts for reference (e: not including that one ^^^ )

Red Rox posted:

LET'S GO CLIPPERS!

kingcobweb posted:

Your BYOGM Denver Nuggets!!

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

WELCOME TO YOUR ONE AND ONLY ZARDS ROSTER

G-Hawk posted:

Your Houston Rockets

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Let's talk about the BYOGM 2023-2024 Boston Celtics

Doltos posted:

New York Knicks BYOGM Post:

Paul Zuvella posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEKK3GVd150
YOUR PHILADELPHIA SEVENTY-SIXERS, DEFENDING BYOGM CHAMPIONS

Lockback posted:

Milwaukee Bucks

BWV posted:

Welcome to Your 2023/2024 BYOGM Toronto Raptors

IcePhoenix posted:

Welcome to your BYOGM 2023 Minnesota Timberwolves

Punkin Spunkin posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN YOUR SAN ANTONIO SPURSSSSSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULwKP0rehI

Drunk Canuck posted:

The 2023 BYOGM Dallas Mavericks.

xbilkis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UywKZcH_Wk0

And now, the starting lineup...for YOUR BYOGMv.8 Bulls!

Carlosologist posted:

Alright, welcome to the Sacramento Kings: MAXIMUM BEAM

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Indiana Pacers Effort Post

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

quote:

Basketball-GM uses:

0 (no minutes)
- (spot minutes, 15 ish)
blank (normal 30-34)
+ (34-40)
++ (40+) for lineups - so specific minutes cannot be specified.

That's not quite correct. BBGM uses its own ratings of a player as a baseline to set lineups and then the minutes settings just modify this up or down. The only exception is anyone on 0 will never see the floor (unless they have to in order to put a legal lineup on the floor, see below). So you can have a player rated 45 in the sim and put him on ++ and he'll still probably only play 25 mpg. Likewise a player rated 65 on - will probably still play 25 mpg. Leaving on blank just let's the AI decide what minutes to give them.

The exceptions is BBGM always requires a legal lineup on the floor at all times according to positions in the sim. You always need at least 1 G and 2 F or C on the floor at all times. That means anyone with that letter in their position, so SG counts as G, SF counts as F, GF counts for both and so on. So if you dream of any super small lineups with four guards BBGM won't allow that and will override your minutes and play a center 18 minutes even if you had him on 0.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tanglewood1420 posted:

That's not quite correct. BBGM uses its own ratings of a player as a baseline to set lineups and then the minutes settings just modify this up or down. The only exception is anyone on 0 will never see the floor (unless they have to in order to put a legal lineup on the floor, see below). So you can have a player rated 45 in the sim and put him on ++ and he'll still probably only play 25 mpg. Likewise a player rated 65 on - will probably still play 25 mpg. Leaving on blank just let's the AI decide what minutes to give them.

The exceptions is BBGM always requires a legal lineup on the floor at all times according to positions in the sim. You always need at least 1 G and 2 F or C on the floor at all times. That means anyone with that letter in their position, so SG counts as G, SF counts as F, GF counts for both and so on. So if you dream of any super small lineups with four guards BBGM won't allow that and will override your minutes and play a center 18 minutes even if you had him on 0.

This is also why the coward sim won't allow Point Slo-Mo but hopefully it at least doesn't force McConnell into the starting lineup

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Yoooooooouuuuur

Orlando Magic

STARTING LINEUP

PG: Shai Gilgeous Alexander – 31.4/4.8/5.5 – .510/.345/.905 TS .626
Last year Shai took the leap and became a top 10 player in the NBA. Unstoppable going to the basket in any scenario, Shai forces teams to collapse and foul him constantly, and then makes over 90% of his free throws. He's long and athletic and improves as a defender every year, and the pressure he puts on the rim opens up the court and makes the young guys around him shine. But on this team he doesn't have to lift young guys who are still learning. As he enters his prime, he's surrounded by a cast that is ready to go now. And then of course, there's the fact that Shai HAS shot over .400 from three in the past. If his shot returns to that level given the jump he's taken everywhere else, there may not be a better basketball player in the world.

SG: Kentavious Caldwell Pope – 10.8/2.7/2.4 – .462/.423/.824
The best perimeter defender on two of the last 4 championship teams and a deadeye shooter. KCP is the NBA's premier 3 and D player at the moment, a seasoned vet with two rings from two different teams still in the middle of his prime. He's not a multifaceted player, but he doesn't have to be. He'll fit next to SGA every bit as perfect as he did next to Lebron and Jokic. The perfect role player. Every team would benefit from the way he plays.

SF: Khris Middleton – 20.4/6/5.4 – .476/.414/.898
Khris played an injury shortened year and never got healthy and into his groove in 2022. The stats above are instead what he posted playing wingman to Giannis on the way to a ring 2 years before. Still in his prime and back to full power, Khris is the perfect second banana. An intelligent and ferocious defender, sniper who creates his own shot, and fantastic secondary creator at the wing, Khris completes a back/midcourt with no weaknesses.

PF: John Collins
Collins has been disgruntled, misused, and forced to look directly at Trae Young for multiple seasons in a row and it shows. at age 22 he put up 21.6/10.1 on .582/.401/.800 shooting. One of the league's most explosive dunkers, he's a versatile offensive weapon who can finish over multiple defenders, stroke it from deep, and take slower bigs off the dribble. He doesn't create for others but he doesn't have to here, and playing with Shai and two widely respected veteran leaders will get him back in the game. The Baptist is back.

C: Rudy Gobert
Rudy was the Defensive Player of the Year 3 of the last 5 seasons, and it should have been 4 (marcus smart get the gently caress out of here). He is an all time middle presence, one of the greatest rim protectors of all time and actually pretty capable when forced to rotate - he kept Utah at the top of the defensive standings despite not having a single other outright good defender on the starting roster for half a decade. That's not a problem here, because KCP, Middleton, and Shai won't be letting guys stroll into the lane. After fighting through a perimeter defense where every player is a 6'5"+ defensive star, anyone who hasn't already lost the ball or bricked a desperate jumper now has to face the most imposing interior defender in the league. On offense, Rudy gets to return to his ideal role from his Utah days, with multiple skilled creators getting him the ball off of pick and rolls and broken defenses, with .400 shooters all around to give him room to get open and jump.

Also, he's an annoying shithead and no one likes him, probably because he's French and he shut down the whole drat league!!!!1

ROTATION GUYS

Guard: Terry Rozier
The ideal bench gunner. Over the last 4 years Scary Terry averaged 19.7/4.3./4.5 and shot .433/.373/.836. He can play starters' minutes and be a borderline all star player, but instead he gets to pick on the bench and do what he does best, light it up.

Wing: Christian Braun
A second year player who came into his own in the Finals as a rookie last year, Braun is a pugnacious perimeter defender who is always in the right spot. A young guy with outsized experience.

Forward: Doug McDermott
An efficient scorer and lights out shooter who, despite looking like he works in your IT department, played good enough defense Pop has kept him on the court for years. A plug and play depth guy.

The rest of my team is young guys who are learning what's going on. They aren't going to play a ton on a team that effectively has 7 starters but it will be fun to see how they develop.

Strengths
1) Defense. The best perimeter defenders on 3 of the last 4 championship teams, no starter under 6'5" or lacking bat arms, and the premier defensive anchor of the last half decade. Bad shooting nights won't mean anything to this team, because the other team will ALWAYS be having one.
2) Shai with a real deal supporting cast. This guy scored a super efficient 30 points last season surrounded by children and g-leaguers. Slotted into a veteran playoff rotation, the sky is literally far below the limit.
3) Depth. Rozier and McDermott are starting level NBA players. Rozier plays 34 minutes a night IRL. Braun became a key piece of the playoff rotation for Denver last year on his way to a ring.
4) Balance. A creator who does everything except drain threes (and sometimes does that) surrounded by 4 ++ shooters and a top tier vertical stretch/pnr finisher. Multiple secondary ball handlers, and a defense with a 1-4 lineup that can switch every matchup backed by an elite rim protector.

Weaknesses
1) The back of my bench is just guys (literally three of them are random picks). But Deuce tore up the G League and also who gives a poo poo, the back of your bench is just for guys you like they don't matter.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ah, gotcha.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Pretty sure I can edit it to add positions to certain players if a GM wants to play them there though (within reason) - so that shouldn't be an issue.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Pretty sure I can edit it to add positions to certain players if a GM wants to play them there though (within reason) - so that shouldn't be an issue.

looking at the roster page on the sheet I would simply like to request Kyle Anderson be made a FG (or GF if it doesn't separate by what they play the most) just in case. It probably won't matter but that should cover any weirdness.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
gauche gauche gauche gauche
gauche!!!!

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Chronicles fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 16, 2023

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Just make sure you guys send it when you send in your lineups so I can log it easier :)

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DEPTH CHART

PLAYER NOTES:

Scoot Henderson, PG: I might be higher on Scoot than anyone else, but I'm banking on him being very good out of the gate and becoming great sooner than people think. I'm not sure what more there is to say about it. He's got the physical tools, he's got the skillset, he's got the smarts, and he's got the will of a champion. Come back in a year and tell me that he cannot be the best player on a championship team.

Devin Vassell, SG: Here is the sort of trajectory you want to see from a rangy 3-and-D-type guard in his first three seasons:

Vassell's ready for the spotlight as one of the better two-way guards in the entire NBA. He's an underrated shooter and crafty defender who continues to improve on both sides of the ball. Gregg Popovich has a pretty good track record with guys like him; he's going to fit like a glove in Charlotte.

Trey Murphy III, PF: Another guy absolutely oozing with potential. On the Hornets he'll be relied on heavily for scoring from the wing, where his 6'9" frame and >40% 3PT average will serve him well. He's ready to be a big-time player in this league right now.

PJ Washington, PF: No-frills scorer and rebounder. Can play either F spot or keep the defense afloat at C. Washington will platoon the frontcourt with a stack of teammates based on matchup.

Wendell Carter Jr., C Veteran big who does the dirty work and doesn't need the 3-pointer to impact a game.

Misc bench notes: Josh Hart is as good a sixth man as there is in the entire league ... Christian Wood may be a liability on defense, but he's a bucket on offense, period. Besides, the defense is what you have Jalen Duren for ... Dennis Smith Jr. has bounced around the league before finding a team in Charlotte that gave him a permanent spot in the rotation, based on his energy and his commitment on defense. Terrific mentor for Scoot ... Alex Caruso provides stellar, game-changing defense on a nightly basis and along with Hart will anchor the best second-unit backcourt defense in the NBA. Both will see major minutes at multiple positions...the deep bench is as young as the rotation guys, but there's potential from top to bottom

TEAM NOTES: This is the second year in a row that I've gone with youth, but I'm all in on Scoot and wanted to build a roster around him. As posted ad nausaeum, it's just not a roster where Trae Young would have made any sense at all. The idea was to pair Henderson with a solid backcourt mate on his timeline, add athletes and a shooter or two on the wing, and bigs who prioritize defense and can cover for blown assignments et al while the young guns get their act together. In Caruso and Hart we've got two guys that sell out on defense and bring maximum effort to the table every night - tough to imagine better vets to pair with a young phenom with All-NBA upside.

This is a roster that is legitimately ten deep with NBA talent. More importantly, this is a roster where the average age of the ten rotation guys is 24.6 months. That's...exactly where you want your guys to be if they're all still improving, which all of the young guys (particularly Trey Murphy III, who's primed for a h u g e leap forward. Last year I built on potential and made the postseason against most expectations. This team is deeper and more well-constructed with no glaring weaknesses; a deep playoff run may be unlikely this year, but I predict they'll make the playoffs as the youngest team nobody wants to play.

EDIT: Also I'm not going to crunch the numbers, but I think the non-rookies on this roster might have the highest average 2022-23 mpg of any team. It's one thing to have a bunch of young guys, but these are young guys that have already earned their minutes. I also think my top ten guys have the highest average minutes as starters. With the exception of Murphy, everyone logged major minutes as a starter last season. I think overall the team may be deeper and more well-shielded against injuries than any roster in BYOGM.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 16, 2023

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
So there are no injuries, but is there fatigue? Like if you set someone to ++ will they play worse as the season goes on?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Red Rox posted:

So there are no injuries, but is there fatigue? Like if you set someone to ++ will they play worse as the season goes on?

I don't think there is fatigue like as the season goes on but there is endurance so if you play someone 48 minutes a game, you're risking that in a game-to-game way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Way more parity this year. Voting will be tough

rivetz posted:

More importantly, this is a roster where the average age of the ten rotation guys is 24.6 months.
Toddler team

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Red Rox posted:

Players have an endurance rating which determines how tired they get. The in game AI generally doesn't play tired players in the regular season (unless you go to OT), but in the playoffs will shorten the rotations and increase the minutes of your best players. Higher endurance stat means play more minutes before getting tired and also tiredness has a smaller negative effect on ability.

If injuries are turned off then there's no effect across the season, only within individual games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If Zion isn't incredible in this format, I protest.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Changing my vote for best hype post to rivetz

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Fast Luck posted:

Toddler team
Actually those same ten players have 41 combined seasons under their collective belt, i.e. on average this will be their fifth NBA season. I would also note that the rookie/vet balance is across all positions.

Obviously positions are somewhat fluid (and they're meant to be with this roster, with positional flexibility all over the place), but the point is I've got a young lineup and a vet lineup, along with the depth to mix and match

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

impossible they're only two years old on average

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

oh yeah sorry rivetz I definitely was not taking a dig at your team, just joking about the typo

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That Charlotte team could make the play-in in the normal NBA.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If Scoot is good out the gate I could see it

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Fast Luck posted:

oh yeah sorry rivetz I definitely was not taking a dig at your team, just joking about the typo
I completely missed the typo until you pointed it out just now :xd:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Very tough vote lots of people built solid teams. At least 10 out there that could all be top 5

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Very tough vote lots of people built solid teams. At least 10 out there that could all be top 5

Yeah this year is just not like previous years. As weird as the bids were, there is no standout team and very few that are outright bad

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Maybe I'm wrong but in previous years it felt like it was always harder to build a good team than it was in real life because there was no max contract. But now that everyone is dialed into there being no minimum contract it seems like a bunch of people were able to create highly competitive teams. Learned GMs up in this.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
About an hour and 20 minutes left to get votes in for the BYOGM '23 Goon Voting!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Vote for my 90s basketball style team or I'll kick your rear end

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

Pretty sure this isn’t true. The lineups can be whatever.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Counting and compiling the results/answers now.

BYOGM Sim Lineups can be sent until 7:00 PM EST on Thursday, which is when the Sim Results will be announced and we end our merry adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Drunk Canuck posted:

Vote for my 90s basketball style team or I'll kick your rear end

I voted you bottom last place because I'm working a conspiracy against you and your team