Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

harrygomm posted:

i know it’s overkill and only tangential to covid but the aranet4 has been brought up before here. looks like it’s 20% off on their site right now and this listing on amazon is even a bit cheaper still

It's a useful proxy for ventilation. Someone posted a paper from Japan that looked at it in a hospital setting and showed a pretty good correlation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

High co2 fucks with your cognitive functions and the aranet4 taught me that I was hitting 1900+ ppm in the winter with the door closed while working.

Explains a lot about your posting :smug:

j/k ;-P

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Explains a lot about your posting :smug:

j/k ;-P

No you aren’t

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I am. You post just as poorly in the summer.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ironically, if you wanted to catch covid and mpox at the same time your top three options are probably ComicCon, Sturgis or Burning Man :v:

Stay safe, Lacrosse :ohdear:

I've already survived 2 outdoor festival events covid-free, I'm sure I'll be fine. I feel that it's much less dangerous out in the desert than working in an office like I have been for the past 3 years. I stay out of enclosed spaces and crowds, and wear a mask when I'm outside of my own tent. Taking these precautions have worked not just for me but also the goons who have gone to crowded indoor events in a respirator without getting got.

I haven't been and it's the one thing I want to do before I die so that's why I'm taking the risk. I don't know how I'll survive much longer with covid running amok so I decided this year its now or never.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

PoundSand posted:

Appreciate this post, kind of a bummer because this is the first semester my wife has to go back to teach in person. 2021 Was distance due to covid protocals, she got fall 2022 off from fmla, and her department let her do spring virtually too cause she was still in chemo, but we wrapped up treatments this summer and now they all expect her to go back. Fortunately it's university teaching and she only has a couple classes a week and can stay home otherwise, but they always find ways to pull people in for meetings (and love to have them over lunch!) so we're a bit worried.

I wish your wife the best. I work at a university too but am thankfully research staff so I'm only really around grad students and in a super well ventilated building. I'll be posting wastewater graphs for 30 sewersheds in the state later tonight, so keep an eye out for that.

Maybe she can bring an Aranet4 CO2 meter with her to gauge how well ventilated her classroom and meeting spaces are? I still mask constantly but having that little number as a proxy really helped with my peace of mind. Plus it's just fun to experiment with too :science:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-health-care-crisis-no-doctors-available-for-hospitalized-patients-1.6512995

Oh jeeze, I wonder why :thunk:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I hope all the doctors and nurses out with summer flu right now recover soon so they'll be nice and rested for when they go down with the back-to-school flu in a few weeks

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Stay safe, Ohio poop ghost

BOGO LOAD posted:

I dunno, this is like a xenomorph dropping off your motion tracker.
lmao

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Lacrosse posted:

I hope all the doctors and nurses out with summer flu right now recover soon so they'll be nice and rested for when they go down with the back-to-school flu in a few weeks

A lotta them are retiring either because they can't do it, or they can't take it no more. It's another manifestation of the effect I noted last thread: covid won't be the end of civilization, but it will soften us up for whatever DOES get us.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
North Carolina hospitals having capacity problems as well (video at link).

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/some-hospitals-nearing-capacity-but-covid-not-the-cause-sources-tell-wral/21003639/ posted:

Some hospitals nearing capacity, but COVID not the cause, sources tell WRAL
For the sixth straight week, hospital admissions for COVID patients increased. However, they're nowhere near our peak.

It highlights a thing that is important when looking at hospitalization rates due to COVID, while elective surgery was out, the capacity was higher. Now that they are back, it doesn't take as much. Despite what the piece says, of course the added ~350 COVID hospitalizations are the reason they go from some capacity, to no capacity.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

North Carolina hospitals having capacity problems as well (video at link).

It highlights a thing that is important when looking at hospitalization rates due to COVID, while elective surgery was out, the capacity was higher. Now that they are back, it doesn't take as much. Despite what the piece says, of course the added ~350 COVID hospitalizations are the reason they go from some capacity, to no capacity.

it can't be covid because covid is over

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

And that is the other reason to wear n95 or better everywhere, because if you do get snake eyes and get the golden bb that blasts through your vax and pax, there might not be anyone there to rescue your rear end, and with the retirement rates I'm hearing that gets worse and worse every wave, even before viral evolution is factored in.

I'm getting my gender care stuff on flank speed atm to minimize the risk of that poo poo getting unhinged by this and the next waves.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Aug 17, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mr. Pizza posted:

I noticed hidrb.com wasn't in the list of Paxlovid providers in the OP and I want to chime in that I got pax through them just last week, $15, never had to actually talk to anyone. Literally took 3 minutes from submitting the thing to receiving email confirmation that it was approved and the prescription had been sent to my local pharmacy. I said I was unvaccinated, former smoker, and moderately overweight.

I also did Sesame but had to talk to a person via video, otherwise easy.

and lol all the expiration dates have been scratched out by hand

I've also had no problem with hidrb, but apparently they have in the past requested a photo id and/or a photo of a positive test (IIRC they only wanted a positive test from me, thank you photoshop) so it's a couple of extra hoops to jump through. It's still the cheapest though so I stuck with it.

RIP to a real one, either the guy or the variant

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

High co2 fucks with your cognitive functions and the aranet4 taught me that I was hitting 1900+ ppm in the winter with the door closed while working.
yeah the aranet4 reminded me to crack the windows or open the vents when driving. no more drowsy spells thank you

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Lacrosse posted:

I've already survived 2 outdoor festival events covid-free, I'm sure I'll be fine. I feel that it's much less dangerous out in the desert than working in an office like I have been for the past 3 years. I stay out of enclosed spaces and crowds, and wear a mask when I'm outside of my own tent. Taking these precautions have worked not just for me but also the goons who have gone to crowded indoor events in a respirator without getting got.

I haven't been and it's the one thing I want to do before I die so that's why I'm taking the risk. I don't know how I'll survive much longer with covid running amok so I decided this year its now or never.

Between the ever worsening variants, the depletion of medical staff, poo poo like that injectables plant getting obliterated and not-directly-pestilence-related security and climate factors, this really is among the last times it's really advisable to try it. Go, enjoy life.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Any hopes of this shaking out into anything resembling sterilizing immunity? https://www.mountsinai.org/about/ne...nd-transmission

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

And that is the other reason to wear n95 or better everywhere, because if you do get snake eyes and get the golden bb that blasts through your vax and pax, there might not be anyone there to rescue your rear end, and with the retirement rates I'm hearing that gets worse and worse every wave, even before viral evolution is factored in.

I was walking to the bus stop in downtown Seattle on the way home today and this woman who passed me on the sidewalk had the nastiest cough as she went by. Even though it's 95F out and my mask is all sweaty underneath I kept it on the entire way home.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Lacrosse posted:

I was walking to the bus stop in downtown Seattle on the way home today and this woman who passed me on the sidewalk had the nastiest cough as she went by. Even though it's 95F out and my mask is all sweaty underneath I kept it on the entire way home.

Secure click forever, with the local air quality. Hell, one of the biggest reasons I am ride or die for this thread is that masking everywhere has brought the single biggest improvement in QOL for me in a very long time, I never get sick any more, poo poo is the best.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

even with the heat it's worth keeping an n95 on when outside to block out or at least mitigate the smell of piss poo poo asphalt car exhaust etc that'll barrage you when anywhere in the city

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Tzen posted:

even with the heat it's worth keeping an n95 on to block out or at least mitigate the smell of piss poo poo asphalt car exhaust etc that'll barrage you when anywhere in the city

Brake powder, tire powder, cold viruses, the hellish pollen and fire poo poo, the non-zero risk you might be one of the poor fuckers hit by birb flu before the alarms go off... even if covid magically vanished, I'd still be part of the secure clique. Do not google how H5N1 can kill mammals, that poo poo is :nms:.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1691842597759627603

quote:

The public was repeatedly told by scientists who claimed there was an adequate immune memory response from infection that infection would contribute to herd immunity, and that protection from infection would be lifelong, similar to sars1.

Now all those people are walking back their definitions of herd immunity to become, "herd immunity from severe disease."

There was indeed a misrepresentation of immunity and herd immunity. The misrepresentation was either in 2020 or it is now, in 2023.

So tell me, did you simply fail to communicate that infection would create herd immunity from 'severe disease' and not infection in 2020?

Or are you all changing your definition of "herd immunity" to now rather become " herd immune response and subsequent protection from severe disease?"

By the way, the NIH just released a preprint showing protection from severe disease conferred by infection wanes and rather becomes susceptibility.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Got covid for the first time this week, frankly, it's tough but I expected far worse. Nothing worth wearing hazmat suits to go and buy groceries tbh.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Odddzy posted:

Got covid for the first time this week, frankly, it's tough but I expected far worse. Nothing worth wearing hazmat suits to go and buy groceries tbh.

Don't count that until you're sure you didn't get long covid... or the distinct possibility of Epstein-Barr style chasers down the line... or that the next one might not be as mild. You need luck every time, the virus just needs luck once to utterly crapshit your life.

Also, it's just a mask and maybe some eye protection, and with that you're very resistant to airborn nasties as a class, of which covid is merely one of the nastiest. There's a carrot that kept elastomere crew at it, not just a stick.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Odddzy posted:

You should consider getting Paxlovid - instructions are in the first post of this thread.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lacrosse posted:

Covid cough is usually dry. If it was nasty and sloppy she might have just had COPD.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I tipped off my bike last week and landed prone in some tall grass.

My helmet didn’t even touch the ground. This is bullshit. Why did I wear it all these years?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Aug 17, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

My helmet didn’t even tough the ground. This is bullshit. Why did I wear it all these years?

for the virtue signaling, duh

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i don't really thinkg this is covid related but my best friend's mom, something of a surrogate mom for me for twenty years now, also died this week. Glioma diagnosis 3 weeks ago and already gone

it doesnt' exactly feel like the sharks circling but gently caress me. the emotional toll of turning 40 is worse than the physical.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Like, uh, viruses with a gnarly delayed action component are hardly new news, chicken pox for one.

Or for that matter, seroconversion flu. We've known this thing for less then a decade, far too early to call that it won't do something seriously weird and horrific down the line.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

My helmet didn’t even tough the ground. This is bullshit. Why did I wear it all these years?

I don't know, but very much doubt, that Odddzy has worn a hazmat suit while shopping. It just sounds like the goon telephone thing :shrug:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

maybe they're just on vacation, like on some summerlong mega cruise or something

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol the uptake numbers on the next booster are going to be even worse

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

U-DO Burger posted:

lol the uptake numbers on the next booster are going to be even worse

the only way I see Pfizer hitting their projected numbers is if the CDC and FDA get it together in the next few months and push boosters as hard as flu shots are pushed (doctors visits, clinics at work and churches, etc)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

fosborb posted:

the only way I see Pfizer hitting their projected numbers is if the CDC and FDA get it together in the next few months and push boosters as hard as flu shots are pushed (doctors visits, clinics at work and churches, etc)

There is a reason why I am digging in and getting shite done, poo poo stands to be very bad this wave as material reality collides with fantasies of return to normal and back to the office in the worst way yet.

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

Are these new boosters going to cost money?

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

According to a posting on the CDC website, the reorganization plan for the already struggling agency began on Aug. 14 with shifts in staffing. That will be followed by administration shifts on Oct. 1. The plan began under the administration of Rochelle Walensky and will continue under the new CDC director, Mandy Cohen. Cohen comes to the directorship from her position as executive vice president of the venture capital-backed startup Aledade Care Solutions, an accountable care organization for primary care doctors.

As with any organization, the CDC’s highest cost is in staffing. Based on her experience at Aledade, Cohen knows that the best way to achieve better efficiency is to reduce overhead. Her first target will likely take the form of staff reduction. When asked directly by STAT’s Helen Branswell in late July about the need for staff layoffs to meet the demands of budget cuts, Cohen was evasive.

https://www.statnews.com/2023/08/16/cdc-budget-cuts-staffing-layoffs/

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Are these new boosters going to cost money?

lol yeah, $100-ish

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
damnit joe give me the juice now, I’ll pay

at least someone posted that kidney trouble is no longer contraindicated for pax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

it’s a loving government agency who cares about the cost! it is just fully funded, you just declare it that way!!

I hate this loving country