Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
sounds like a bad overhaul OP. If you want better scaled and no bloated healthpool NPCs there's a synthesis patcher for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The one time I tried Requiem, I looked up an early level advice thingie and the recommended spending literally hours chopping down trees to get wood to build flutes until you had enough money to buy equipment so you maybe wouldn't die while killing the bandits in that mine next to Riverwood.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I once played a wabbajack mod list that had Requiem. I couldn't get part of the journey to Riverwood from Helgen without a Khajiit screaming from the bushes and then blasting me with some black holes. Instant death every time.

Understandably I stopped playing after that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

Grey Cowl is decent once you get through the incredibly, incredibly long dungeon and to the actual zone.

I found the actual zone empty and too stretched-out for what it was. The scarab beetle thing was neat enough, but it all wore out its welcome really fast. And I hated the ending. I thought the first dungeon was the best part of it, even if it was far too long.

Clockwork... man actually it's been a while since I played that. It has maybe one "jump" scare I can think of, and I didn't jump at it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

I found the actual zone empty and too stretched-out for what it was. The scarab beetle thing was neat enough, but it all wore out its welcome really fast. And I hated the ending. I thought the first dungeon was the best part of it, even if it was far too long.

Clockwork... man actually it's been a while since I played that. It has maybe one "jump" scare I can think of, and I didn't jump at it.
I am probably not gonna be going back to it this time despite it being in Lost Legacy, yeah, but I think it's worth doing if you haven't before. Lost Legacy does have more than one mod to add more Stuff to the zone, though.

Lost Legacy does do some delveling stuff but not super hard. You can't just go into Bleak Falls Barrow the instant you get to Riverwood but I did it fine at about level 10. (I did the Relic Hunter start instead of vanilla so I hosed around a fair bit before even going to Helgen)

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I tend to like at least some deleveling, if not more, and these days I generally gently caress about quite a bit before rolling into the main quest, but from a general mod design perspective, I feel like going into the first real dungeon of the game should be an option before you've filled out two skill trees. Especially since the game takes a lot of pains to point it out to you and go "yeah you're definitely loving going there soon." Shaving off options in general when modding an open world game should be handled with care anyway. Like Elden Ring doesn't have any sort of scaling and it will push my poo poo in with glee, but if I want to say "lol gently caress you Elianora's poleblade is the best Altus here I come" I can do that, because that game is designed around the PC cartwheeling through danger, and it doesn't withhold the dodge button until I've put enough points into dex. Skyrim just wants you to bash the other guy with a sword until one of you falls down."

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That sounds similar to my requiem experience from when it first came out as a mod many years ago, there is a very narrow area of "level appropriate content" that you just have to guess where to find because the ruins across from the starter town might be for level 1 or level 30 and the real challenge is finding that to level up on and then expanding on where else you can go, repeat until strong enough to go everywhere.

Do low level archers still 1-2 shot you? that was my main experience and had to adjust enemy damage in the menu's down to 10% just so I could survive a single arrow at level 20+ while pumping health and keeping armor spells up.

I didn't really level far enough to find out, but the vibes were it was a little more forgiving than it used to be. A little. It might take three or four shots to murder you instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kartikeya posted:

I tend to like at least some deleveling, if not more, and these days I generally gently caress about quite a bit before rolling into the main quest, but from a general mod design perspective, I feel like going into the first real dungeon of the game should be an option before you've filled out two skill trees. Especially since the game takes a lot of pains to point it out to you and go "yeah you're definitely loving going there soon." Shaving off options in general when modding an open world game should be handled with care anyway. Like Elden Ring doesn't have any sort of scaling and it will push my poo poo in with glee, but if I want to say "lol gently caress you Elianora's poleblade is the best Altus here I come" I can do that, because that game is designed around the PC cartwheeling through danger, and it doesn't withhold the dodge button until I've put enough points into dex. Skyrim just wants you to bash the other guy with a sword until one of you falls down."

I didn't really level far enough to find out, but the vibes were it was a little more forgiving than it used to be. A little. It might take three or four shots to murder you instead.
Yeah, defaultish settings on Lost Legacy are more like "maybe don't go into the place until somebody asks for the Dragonstone" rather than "fill out your main combat tree"

I do have a question though, for people familiar with Vorkinator Black:

Is, uh, stacking defenseive alteration spells and perks and heavy armor supposed to make me, like. Not... possible for enemies to harm? I'm not actually immortal, some traps and like, falling into lava can still make my health bar move, but enemies don't. Is this how things are expected to work, or has something gone wrong?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zereth posted:

Yeah, defaultish settings on Lost Legacy are more like "maybe don't go into the place until somebody asks for the Dragonstone" rather than "fill out your main combat tree"

I do have a question though, for people familiar with Vorkinator Black:

Is, uh, stacking defenseive alteration spells and perks and heavy armor supposed to make me, like. Not... possible for enemies to harm? I'm not actually immortal, some traps and like, falling into lava can still make my health bar move, but enemies don't. Is this how things are expected to work, or has something gone wrong?

Nothing about that mod is intentional about anything. The whole point is to mash together a bunch of perks from disparate systems that weren't made in the same room. What did you expect?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

Grey Cowl is apparently one of the first big quest.mods that are really showing its age at this point. It's handful of neat ideas that are stretched out to the point of becoming extremely tiresome. My particular thoughts:

-Really tired of everyone and their mother just using Sheogorath as the 'wacky and random' god. Haha look the final fight with him has cheese, isn't that hilarious???

-The voice acting is awful, in particular the main questgiver once you hit Hammerfell.

-The quest line does a very bad job of explaining what the hell is going on. From best I can tell you're apparently the heir of Tiber Septim's legacy but also a master thief and sometimes you relive moments in the past as Tiber Septim and also Sheogorath is there? It hops from setpiece to setpiece without doing a great job of explaining why.

-The dungeons in Hammerfell are obnoxious. Literally gauntlets full of nearly impossible to see pressure plates that cause instant death.

-The ultimate reward, the Grey Cowl, is literally copy/pasted from Oblivion, looks terrible and out of place, and the item effects ensure you'll never actually use it. For a quest line that takes easily 5-6 hours at least, you'd expect something worth using.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao if the CC version is straight up better

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Caphi posted:

What did you expect?
I expected to be able to explode things with magic more better.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I've been weighing up whether I prefer Requiem's unlevelling or the various mods like Morrowloot Ultimate that use min-max levels on encounter zones. I'm still not 100% clear on how big the difference will be in practice.

Requeim allows enemy NPCs of all levels to spawn. Encounter zone mods should have a tighter level spread on NPCs, and on average they would be weighed more towards PC level. Requiem works by designing specific enemy types in difficulty tiers, while encounter zones assign difficulty levels per location. Is that the gist of it? It doesn't seem extremely different, it seems somewhat similar.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dolphinbomb posted:

Grey Cowl is apparently one of the first big quest.mods that are really showing its age at this point. It's handful of neat ideas that are stretched out to the point of becoming extremely tiresome. My particular thoughts:

-Really tired of everyone and their mother just using Sheogorath as the 'wacky and random' god. Haha look the final fight with him has cheese, isn't that hilarious???

-The voice acting is awful, in particular the main questgiver once you hit Hammerfell.

-The quest line does a very bad job of explaining what the hell is going on. From best I can tell you're apparently the heir of Tiber Septim's legacy but also a master thief and sometimes you relive moments in the past as Tiber Septim and also Sheogorath is there? It hops from setpiece to setpiece without doing a great job of explaining why.

-The dungeons in Hammerfell are obnoxious. Literally gauntlets full of nearly impossible to see pressure plates that cause instant death.

-The ultimate reward, the Grey Cowl, is literally copy/pasted from Oblivion, looks terrible and out of place, and the item effects ensure you'll never actually use it. For a quest line that takes easily 5-6 hours at least, you'd expect something worth using.

I must have played another version because I remember no fight with cheese, I just remember the author's Oblivion character telling me all the things that I also did in Oblivion goddamnit and it took forever and then I had to walk after him across the longest room in existence.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Corsec posted:

I've been weighing up whether I prefer Requiem's unleveling or the various mods like Morrowloot Ultimate that use min-max levels on encounter zones. I'm still not 100% clear on how big the difference will be in practice.

Requeim allows enemy NPCs of all levels to spawn. Encounter zone mods should have a tighter level spread on NPCs, and on average they would be weighed more towards PC level. Requiem works by designing specific enemy types in difficulty tiers, while encounter zones assign difficulty levels per location. Is that the gist of it? It doesn't seem extremely different, it seems somewhat similar.

They're similar, yeah. With the caveat that I'll probably get some of this wrong, this is basically how it works. Every place in Skyrim, dungeon or otherwise, has an encounter zone that determines what level of mobs can spawn there. So let's say vanilla Bleak Falls Barrow has an encounter zone from level 5 - 40 (I'm making these up, I haven't looked), and the level spread is 1-5. What that means is that the game will look at the list of possible spawns classed as 'draugr' and pick something within 1 - 5 levels of the player's current level, with the minimum being level 5 (so no matter how low a level you are, you'll never get anything lower than 5) and the max of 40 (so matter how high a level you are, you'll never get something higher than 40). Most mods that delevel the game will also tweak encounter zones, so let's say Requiem is all "draugr should be way higher level than that" and so it changes the encounter zone to being 20 - 50. Now, if the mod delevels things, what will happen is that it completely unhooks the player's level from what the game looks for when it picks something to spawn. Regardless of PC level, you can encounter draugr from level 20 to level 50 in Bleak Falls Barrow. Something that tweaks encounter zones, however, may change Bleak Falls Barrow to 20 - 50, but change the level spread to 4 - 10 so you get more variety of spawns, but not the wild party levels of a complete deleveler. So if you're level 30 when Bleak Falls Barrow is populated, you'll never see something lower than 26 or higher than 40. Now, iirc, boss spawns can be set independently, so the mod might decide the draugr boss can spawn anywhere from level 30 - 60, but it works the same way.

In effect, a mod that tweaks encounter zones is switching up how difficult an area is, and usually tightening the spread so that things the author believes should be more dangerous in general are, but it still works along a (usually adjusted) curve that takes the player's level into account. A mod that delevels everything takes the curve away, so spawns don't care about player level at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Because we're talking about Wabbajack I love* when some weird interaction of deleveling mods and other things make it when 95% of the dungeon will be level proportionate, but the boss will be 30 levels higher than you.

*love means I loving hate this bullsiht, in this context.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Because we're talking about Wabbajack I love* when some weird interaction of deleveling mods and other things make it when 95% of the dungeon will be level proportionate, but the boss will be 30 levels higher than you.

*love means I loving hate this bullsiht, in this context.

i have an old septimus 2 or 3 mod setup that's fuckin dead in the water at the lotd deep archives dungeon ending with a level 95 ayleid lich for some goddamn reason

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

i have an old septimus 2 or 3 mod setup that's fuckin dead in the water at the lotd deep archives dungeon ending with a level 95 ayleid lich for some goddamn reason

He's had a lot of time to chop wood, okay.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I love this modding community. :allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Skyrim Modding: Lydia got pregnant while in Riften which is pretty irresponsible

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SkyrimModdingPostOrArrestedDevelopmentPlotline.com

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Raygereio posted:

I love this modding community. :allears:

Is this going to be something I regret looking into? Cause having a kid and raising one in a video game could be a... well it is a concept alright but I'm betting whatever this is, is veering into creepy territory?

edit: yup, ok

slightly disappointed that you couldn't make a son/daughter of Dragonborn, raise them and if you're a deadbeat parent, you've just created the origin story of your nemesis. How long is a skyrim year in real time again?

Commander Keene posted:

Skyrim Modding: Lydia got pregnant while in Riften which is pretty irresponsible

Splorange fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 16, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dragon'bort

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Splorange posted:

slightly disappointed that you couldn't make a son/daughter of Dragonborn, raise them and if you're a deadbeat parent, you've just created the origin story of your nemesis. How long is a skyrim year in real time again?

Kinda related but there's a mod called fat idiot son or something to that effect where you're basically a deadbeat dragonborn parent.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Kinda related but there's a mod called fat idiot son or something to that effect where you're basically a deadbeat dragonborn parent.

Immersive :eng101: fat idiot son
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/47941

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

:laffo:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tankbuster posted:

the current bleeding edge of skyrim mods are all SKSE dependent.

Can we appreciate how insane it is to be talking about the bleeding edge of Skyrim mods when it came out in 2011?

Folks have definitely gotten their money's worth for the 50 bucks or whatever it cost back then

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

My son is also named Dragon'bort.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

Can we appreciate how insane it is to be talking about the bleeding edge of Skyrim mods when it came out in 2011?

Folks have definitely gotten their money's worth for the 50 bucks or whatever it cost back then

its going from strength to strength too. A nice neat mod just came out that lets you bash locks open based on a static formula. It works across multiple versions of skyrim, is incredibly lightweight and is integrated very well into the game's crime system. One can really see the difference when compared to fallout 4. Modders generally give permission to each other
for porting their SKSE mods across different versions of the game. Hell even the weird sexmods have less drama in comparison to fo4. It's a far cry from the days of nexus modders chasing away the SOS guy from the site by repeatedly calling him gay.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 17, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I generally respect zoomers and feel that the kids are all right. That said their infatuation with Oblivion is fundamentally alien to me and calls their character into question.

Morrowind and Skyrim are both great games for different particular reasons. Oblivion is trash. You can make it a technologically inferior, weaker version of Skyrim with a lot of effort. Vanilla it's one of the most disappointing games of all time.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
oblivion has the funny face NPCs and Harvest Dawn

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Like 90% of the time when you ask people, incredulously, what they liked about Oblivion it's either the coliseum (trash) or the dark brotherhood (acceptable).

You talk about how you can see the exact same enemies the entire game regardless of where you go or what mission you play if you don't bother to level past two, how nothing you do matters, how it has a weird theme park atmosphere where it feels somehow faker than any other video game has ever felt, They just shrug and say they liked the VA in the coliseum. You talk about the fact that you were supposed to get rainforest Roman legionnaires riding dinosaurs and we got the most milk toast rural New England setting possible and they shrug. You talk about how every single town has the exact same number of assets just skinned differently; they've stopped listening because zoomer attention spans are even more damaged than ours.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I liked Sean Bean.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

oblivion had acrobatics and athletics skills and i like to jump really really high very quickly

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

oblivion has better writing and characters imo. I like jaufree and Sean bean a lot more than Delphine and esbern. There's a lot of unintentional silliness in oblivion and a lot of bad game mechanics but there's a lot to like there too

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Commander Keene posted:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Like 90% of the time when you ask people, incredulously, what they liked about Oblivion it's either the coliseum (trash) or the dark brotherhood (acceptable).

You talk about how you can see the exact same enemies the entire game regardless of where you go or what mission you play if you don't bother to level past two, how nothing you do matters, how it has a weird theme park atmosphere where it feels somehow faker than any other video game has ever felt, They just shrug and say they liked the VA in the coliseum. You talk about the fact that you were supposed to get rainforest Roman legionnaires riding dinosaurs and we got the most milk toast rural New England setting possible and they shrug. You talk about how every single town has the exact same number of assets just skinned differently; they've stopped listening because zoomer attention spans are even more damaged than ours.

Games fun as long as you don't expect too much. :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Simsmagic posted:

oblivion has better writing and characters imo. I like jaufree and Sean bean a lot more than Delphine and esbern. There's a lot of unintentional silliness in oblivion and a lot of bad game mechanics but there's a lot to like there too
There's some other stuff, too. Getting into the College feels like an accomplishment with having to go to all the cities and get recommendations and stuff. Getting into Winterhold is like "Hello please cast 1(one) spell that I will sell you cheap. Okay now cast a ward while this other guy casts a spell at you. Okay great! Let's go do some archeology"

Mechanics-wise it's worse and a lot more janky even modded up but it's not 100% worse outside the dark brotherhood.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
It has a weird, janky charm to it. I can't put my finger on it, exactly, but I always enjoy my time when I fire it up again. And its Thieves Guild is pretty great!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

i think basically all the guild questlines were better in oblivion, especially dark brotherhood, thieves guild, and mages guild

the game is too jank in ways for me to return but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can we just agree that both oblivion and skyrim's writing was garbage? no need to try and measure them like "ok this sandwich is covered in 45% poo poo, but this other sandwich is only 32% poo poo and one side is almost clean enough to get a bite in"

Ain't nobody thinking back fondly to the oblivion quest lines and thinking "drat, the king of worms was a great story" or "the fighters guild questline is in my top 100 rpg questlines"