Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm looking for the next distraction from the Heresy to spend my audible tokens on. I've got the Infinite and the Divine, Vaults of Terra and The Devastation of Baal done. I'm considering my boy Fabby B, but I also recall someone mentioning some ork stuff upthread that was real good. Seems like the Dark Coil stuff is more easily handled in paperback or ebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As I recall, Mike Brook's Warboss is available in Audiobook format. As is Brutal Kunnin I believe.

I think it's in Warboss, according to the author, where the audio team had to get crafty with the chapter headings, as otherwise after a certain point they just say "Lots".
Either that one or the Gazghull book.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brutal Kunnin' is a wonderful book with one of the most horrible scenes I have ever read thrown in off the cuff

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Both Brutal Kunnin' and Warboss slap.

And the one with funny chapter headings is Warboss.

Black Griffon, if you're done with the Vaults of Terra-trilogy, I recommend the other related series by Chris Wraight consisting of Emperor's Legion and the Regent's Shadow so far. They take place partially concurrently with Vaults of Terra, and I really recommend them as audiobooks, because each they have three readers each.

If you haven't already read Valdor during your Heresy readings, do so, it is great. Oh, and get it as an audiobook. You won't regret that.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Are Brutal Kunnin and Warboss linked in order? Or are they stand alone?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Standalone, though Brutal Kunnin does happen first chronologically.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dog_Meat posted:

Are Brutal Kunnin and Warboss linked in order? Or are they stand alone?

There are some cameos if you read them in order, nothing too impactful, however they are pretty much standalone stories and can be read in whatever order you wish.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

He's not wrong. The audience needs reminding that Marines are nightmarish posthuman living weapons with extremely good PR

True, but it doesn't always have to be brain eating. Like he doesn't even use it as a "marines getting intel", there's a scene where it's used to punish a marine by making him "remember" the person he killed's experiences (also a Marine). Have them spit acid again, I know he knows that the ability is there he mentions it in Spears of the Emperor, but he just likes the cannibalism.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Listened to TEatD and the first vaults of terra book back to back, and I feel they're pretty good companion pieces. Seeing the contrast between HH era Terra and the absolute shithole it has turned into 10k years later is fascinating. Wraight does a REALLY good job at building scenes and setpieces around the ecumenopolis and its advanced state of venerated decay. Also loved John Banks' narration- sometimes his pronunciation of "Terra" comes funnily close to "Terror"- no wonder Spinoza notes that everyone is afraid all the time.

Vaults also had a cool antagonist, but I can't help but feel like that poor dark eldar would have had his mind blown way before he could actually do any actual harm to the emperor, if his plan was to actually step into the throne room and lay eyes on him. Although, who knows if the emperor's psychic presence is as overwhelming to a non-human

I've read an embarrassing amount of 40k fiction, but it strikes me that very few pieces actually use 40k's Terra as the backdrop. I guess the very, very first black library book has some questionable Terra content, but unless I've missed something, it seems to have been relatively sparse since 1990!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I mean that particular Dark Eldar is possibly even older than the Emperor and literally witnessed and took part in the Fall of the Eldar, if anybody could get an eyeful of the Emperor and live it'd be him

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AnEdgelord posted:

I mean that particular Dark Eldar is possibly even older than the Emperor and literally witnessed and took part in the Fall of the Eldar, if anybody could get an eyeful of the Emperor and live it'd be him

the emperor is way, way, way older than the Fall, which took place a few hundred years at most before the start of the great crusade

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the emperor is way, way, way older than the Fall, which took place a few hundred years at most before the start of the great crusade
He claims to be one of the first humans, and while the dude is normally a rather unreliable narrator, he has flashbacks to being born in a proto-civilization that’s still dwelling in caves. So that one might be true.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CapnAndy posted:

He claims to be one of the first humans, and while the dude is normally a rather unreliable narrator, he has flashbacks to being born in a proto-civilization that’s still dwelling in caves. So that one might be true.

it's all psychic smoke and mirrors and he's just a Dark Age of Technology weapon that gives everyone false memories :colbert:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

AnEdgelord posted:

He's also getting turbo juiced by the insane suffering the Emperor is experiencing. Remember kids, to the Dark Eldar, other people's pain is food!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For anyone who gets the SoT books in large format paperback like I do, The End and the Death 1 became available to purchase on Amazon today.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The fall of the Eldar and the birth of Slaanesh is what kicked off the warp storms that started the Age of Strife/Old Night, so around the 25M

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's all psychic smoke and mirrors and he's just a Dark Age of Technology weapon that gives everyone false memories :colbert:

If the Emperor gives himself false memories even he believes, he isn't lying, technically.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The fall of the Eldar and the birth of Slaanesh is what kicked off the warp storms that started the Age of Strife/Old Night, so around the 25M

I thought it was the other way around: the warp was in turmoil and charged right before the birth of Slaanesh, and the actual event consumed all that energy into the ocurrence of the new deity, leaving the warp calm and allowing the Crusade to set off.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sephyr posted:

I thought it was the other way around: the warp was in turmoil and charged right before the birth of Slaanesh, and the actual event consumed all that energy into the ocurrence of the new deity, leaving the warp calm and allowing the Crusade to set off.
The Warp sneers at causality. It can be both.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Slaanesh's imminent birth created the warp storms, which faded as the Eye formed.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Incorrect. Slaanesh started coalescing in the warp in the 25th century and that caused the warp storms but their actual birth was just before the great crusade and calmed the warp which made the GC possible.

quote:

In the Immaterium, the collective psychic reflections of their indolence and amoral hedonism caused a new major Chaos power to stir, beginning in the 25th Millennium of the Terran calendar. Created by one species' pure dedication to indulgence and excess, the first psychic motes of what would become Slaanesh began to coalesce. The dormant Slaanesh fed upon the unchecked collective psyche of the Aeldari, drawing on their lusts and ambitions, their artistry and pursuit of excellence in all things. In turn, as Slaanesh grew, its nascent dreams trickled into the minds of the Aeldari and fuelled their desires, pushing them ever onwards towards their eventual doom.

Eventually, the Aeldari civilisation devolved into little more than pleasure cults dedicated to every act of physical, mental and spiritual fulfillment. Blood stained the statuary of their plazas as crowds of drug-addled maniacs sated their violent desires in the streets of the Aeldari homeworlds. On one particularly depraved night, the debauchery reached a terrible crescendo that tore out the heart of the Aeldari Empire and left it ravaged beyond recovery.

The Fall of the Aeldari in the early 30th Millennium was signalled by the birth-scream of Slaanesh, a tsunami of emotion and psychic power that heralded the Prince of Pleasure's arrival in the Realm of Chaos even as it shaped a new dominion within that dimension to serve as its home, the Dark Prince's Realm. The psychic implosion caused by Slaanesh's birth swallowed hundreds of worlds at the heart of the Aeldari Empire in what is now the Imperium of Man's Segmentum Obscurus.

The blast killed billions of Aeldari in a single instant and devoured a great section of the galaxy in the process. Such was its ferocity that it overwhelmed the barrier between the material and the immaterial, forming the massive, permanent Warp rift later named by Humanity as the "Eye of Terror." Rampant and hungry, Slaanesh devoured the minds and souls of the Aeldari, absorbing them into its essence. Across the galaxy, that ancient species was almost wiped out.

After its birth, Slaanesh slew most of the Aeldari and their gods in the Immaterium, except for the Aeldari god of war Kaela Mensha Khaine. Khaine's psychic energy was instead dispersed into many separate pieces scattered across the various Infinity Circuits of the Aeldari craftworlds. The Laughing God Cegorach also survived Slaanesh's birth by fleeing into the Labyrinth Dimension of the Webway. While Isha, the goddess of fertility and the harvest, was defeated alongside her divine brethren, she was not destroyed outright and absorbed by Slaanesh like the rest of the Aeldari pantheon. Slaanesh vanquished her as it had all of the other Aeldari gods within the Warp, but only took her prisoner rather than absorbing her energies outright.

What fell purpose Slaanesh had in keeping Isha alive, none amongst the Aeldari now know, but the Prince of Pleasure was ultimately denied its spoils: for some reason Nurgle, the Plague Lord, waged war against Slaanesh to "rescue" the Aeldari goddess. Why Grandfather Nurgle intervened is unclear, although some Aeldari savants believe that one of the older major Chaos Gods wanted to give the youngest amongst them a good lesson about its proper place in the order of things. What is known is that Nurgle's Daemonic legions proved victorious and the Plague God took the Aeldari goddess back to its domain in the Realm of Chaos.

Only a relative few Aeldari survived Slaanesh's birth-feast. Other Aeldari survivors included the Harlequin, and those Craftworld Aeldari or "Asuryani" who were very far away from the Aeldari homeworlds when the Warp rift formed. Most of the survivors that remain have become sworn enemies of the Dark Prince, and yet a few of them -- the Drukhari -- have formed isolated cabals that still behave as their ancestors did, perversely following the downward spiral of excess and hedonism.

That is how events are viewed from the chronology of the material universe. In the Warp, however, things are different, for the Immaterium is not bound by linear four-dimensional time, and events do not occur in a strict sequence of cause and effect. As its rival gods reckon it, Slaanesh has always existed in the Warp, and yet has never existed at all.

quote:

During the Age of Strife the Emperor, who had spent all the years of His immortal life since His birth in the 8th Millennium B.C. seeking to guide Mankind to a better destiny, was trapped on the techno-barbarian-ravaged Earth. This was due to the massive Warp Storms prevalent throughout the galaxy in the 5,000 standard years before the birth of the Chaos God Slaanesh once more made travel and astropathic communication through the Warp possible.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 17, 2023

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have recommendations, or even just a list, of the Black Library books that deal with the xenos from their perspective? I just read “Da Gobbo’s Revenge” and “Ghazghkull Thraka” this week and like them a lot. I read “Brutal Kunnin” a while back and liked it. I get these are all about orks, but I generally am more interested in books about any of the xenos from their point of view.

I’ve read some of Gaunt’s Ghosts and a few others and they did nothing for me. I am just not interested in Space Marines or the Imperial Guard. I did read Matt Forbeck’s Blood Bowl novels and liked those, and the 3 or 4 books I read on the Sisters of Battle were alright. I really like the Necromunda books I’ve read (which I think is all of them). I think maybe I just don’t like Space Marines and the Guard and it seems like that is a lot of what Black Library puts out.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone have recommendations, or even just a list, of the Black Library books that deal with the xenos from their perspective? I just read “Da Gobbo’s Revenge” and “Ghazghkull Thraka” this week and like them a lot. I read “Brutal Kunnin” a while back and liked it. I get these are all about orks, but I generally am more interested in books about any of the xenos from their point of view.

I’ve read some of Gaunt’s Ghosts and a few others and they did nothing for me. I am just not interested in Space Marines or the Imperial Guard. I did read Matt Forbeck’s Blood Bowl novels and liked those, and the 3 or 4 books I read on the Sisters of Battle were alright. I really like the Necromunda books I’ve read (which I think is all of them). I think maybe I just don’t like Space Marines and the Guard and it seems like that is a lot of what Black Library puts out.

The Infinite and the Divine is the gold standard for Necron shenanigans. Twice Dead King is a close second.

As for the rest... the pickings are a bit slim.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Sephyr posted:

The Infinite and the Divine is the gold standard for Necron shenanigans. Twice Dead King is a close second.

As for the rest... the pickings are a bit slim.

Thanks, I just ordered copies of the necron books you mentioned. Well, 2 of them anyway, it looks like Twice Dead King has 2 different books out and I couldn’t get one of them.

Yeah, I was worried there wasn’t a lot of books in this vein out. They seem to be doing more of them at least with the orks lately which is fine, but they have a lot more to work with if they would only want to.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a lot of this history has been retconned but the last date we have for the fall of the eldar was 750M30, which is roughly contemporaneous with the end of the unification wars and the beginning of the primarch project. Constantin Valdor is older than the fall of the eldar.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

Recommending Valedor again, for eldar.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Sharkopath posted:

Recommending Valedor again, for eldar.

Great, thanks. Just grabbed it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Read Path of the Seer by Gav Thorpe a few years back and was not impressed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks, I just ordered copies of the necron books you mentioned. Well, 2 of them anyway, it looks like Twice Dead King has 2 different books out and I couldn’t get one of them.

Which one did you get? Because Ruin is the first one, and Reign is the second, and they really need to be read in order.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I got Ruin, so should be good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There are the Tau books.

But then they are also written by Phil Kelly.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Working my way through Mathew Farrer's Shira Calpurnia books, halfway through #2 so far. They came out a long while back, in the early 2000s, and Farrer is not nearly as polished a writer as he'd become by the time he wrote his Urdesh duology, but I appreciate the focus on the Byzantine nature of the Imperium. It also does a good job of showing how fascist and unjust the Imperium is, the protagonists are not precisely the good guys.

e: For example on the "good guys" point, the heir to a Rogue Trader charter at the center of the plot in book 2 is introduced as appearing to be weak and diffident in part because his version of a traditional race merely involves the likelihood of injury and a small chance of death instead of being straight up lethal for the competitors.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 17, 2023

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Cooked Auto posted:

There are the Tau books.

But then they are also written by Phil Kelly.

Are those the Farsight books? I haven't read anything about or heard about Phil Kelly before, but a quick search shows some people definitely don't like him. Thoughts on if these are worth a read at all or is the author/his take on the Tau really that bad?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Phil Kelly is one of the weaker regulars and I thought the first Farsight book was pretty mediocre with a few outright terrible scenes. I'd only give them a read if you're absolutely desperate for T'au.

His Tzeentch daemons are unfathomably boring and stupid, which is very funny in a way though.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 17, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Canon is wide open in warhammer 40k. You can kind of do anything with it . The people in the stories don’t even know what is happening

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Breaking news, the Black Library Coming Soon page has updated! :aaa:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/blacklibrarycomingsoon/

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Not really loving Ghostmaker. The structure is so clunky: it's set up like a clip show from a 90s sitcom, and there is no attempt at smoothing the transition from framing device to short story. It's literally just "Gaunt walks over to squad member, looks at them, thinks a thing related to the short story that's coming, then cut to it"

and while I like the short stories themselves, he apparently did not edit them for continuity like you usually would in a fixup. So you have things like the same squad members getting introduced again and again - yes, I know why you're called Try Again Bragg, you've told me like 7 times now!! And worse, you start seeing the same kind of plot devices, like the amount of times the Ghosts have faced an insurmountable chaos army up until they kill the single big bad guy and then the rest of the huge army instantly gives up or commits suicide

I searched back through this topic and saw one suggestion that you should plink away at Ghostmaker in between other books, and I think that would have worked better for me

it's not like I *dislike it* either, and I'm over halfway so I'll just finish it. but I do wish I could reach through the book and like... just change all the things I don't like lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ghostmaker's individual stories are good but the Monthax framing device is kinda weak and doesn't have a real narrative through-line the way that First and Only does. Like you said it's a parade of Gaunt walking from Ghost to Ghost which prompts a story based on the individual in question, and then suddenly the Monthax battle itself is the focus and 20 pages later the book ends with a classic Abnett Just Stops Writing ending. When you pull back and look at the wider context of both the books and the Sabbat Crusade as a while Monthax is this bizarre outlier where it's simultaneously supposed to be one of the greatest single combat actions of the entire war but also completely irrelevant outside of its own existence.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 17, 2023

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
So I read Ruin, the flashback showing what happened during bio-transference and C'tan soul eating is appropriately horrific. It made me feel sorry for the Necrons, which I really didn't expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

One sort of left-field question: Has any important characters just straight up died because they got hosed crossing the rubicon? I don't necessarily want to know who in case they're part of a good book or something, but it would be really funny, like a random mook shooting John Wick in the head or something.