Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

spunkshui posted:

It sounds like he had no exhaust fan in the back of the computer though and I don’t think that is a good idea nor do I think it’s a good idea to run with a 20 year old fan which is going to be louder than brand new fan.

oh, yeah hadn't realized the default setup didn't include an Out

grack posted:

Get a pair of Arctic P12 PWM fans, replace the the fans that Thermalright ships with the Peerless Assassin. They'll be a bit quieter under load than the stock fans.

Use one or both of the Thermalright fans as an exhaust.

Cheap, simple, should lower overall system noise.

I like this plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

Get a pair of Arctic P12 PWM fans, replace the the fans that Thermalright ships with the Peerless Assassin. They'll be a bit quieter under load than the stock fans.

Use one or both of the Thermalright fans as an exhaust.

Cheap, simple, should lower overall system noise.
Is there any need for the PWM version when my motherboard can control fan speed anyway?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any need for the PWM version when my motherboard can control fan speed anyway?

Honestly, no. If you know your motherboard can do what you want with 3 pins go for it.

e: nvm, I was a bit confused. I thought you were talking about case fans only. You should use pwm fans on your cpu cooler. Good old 3 pins for your case.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 16, 2023

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9C7SQH

What cables do I need to connect it to my system and where can I buy them?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NotNut posted:

I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9C7SQH

What cables do I need to connect it to my system and where can I buy them?

You need a SATA cable, which typically comes with your motherboard. Check your motherboard box if you still have it, otherwise they're very cheap to buy extras of. e.g. normal or with a 90-degree connector.

You also need to power it with a power cable attached to your PSU. If it's not modular, it's already attached. If it's modular, check the cables that came with it for SATA power (should be labeled).

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You need a SATA cable, which typically comes with your motherboard. Check your motherboard box if you still have it, otherwise they're very cheap to buy extras of. e.g. normal or with a 90-degree connector.

You also need to power it with a power cable attached to your PSU. If it's not modular, it's already attached. If it's modular, check the cables that came with it for SATA power (should be labeled).

It's fully modular and I don't have the cables that came with it anymore, as far as I know. Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQYM74W/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NotNut posted:

It's fully modular and I don't have the cables that came with it anymore, as far as I know. Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQYM74W/

You have to be 100% sure about the model before getting a replacement then, because using the wrong cable can fry any components you hook up to it. Seasonic has a cable compatibility chart here: https://seasonic.com/cable-compatibility

I found this post on Reddit which contains an email from Seasonic support that links to this store as an official source for replacement cables. This cable looks compatible with the Focus GX according to the compatibility chart. There are other cables on that store that are not compatible, so don't buy them. Get that one specifically.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

You have to be 100% sure about the model before getting a replacement then, because using the wrong cable can fry any components you hook up to it. Seasonic has a cable compatibility chart here: https://seasonic.com/cable-compatibility

I found this post on Reddit which contains an email from Seasonic support that links to this store as an official source for replacement cables. This cable looks compatible with the Focus GX according to the compatibility chart. There are other cables on that store that are not compatible, so don't buy them. Get that one specifically.

Thanks.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
That 4070 deal from Amex has me thinking about selling my 3080. I think I could get about $400 for the 3080. Is the 4070 worth a $100 upgrade? The 3080 seems more powerful but DLSS 3 also seems like a game changer.

I’m at 1440p 144hz

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Josh Lyman posted:

PWM fans allow more precise control of speed, and thus noise, compared to DC. You generally want PWM fans on coolers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

That 4070 deal from Amex has me thinking about selling my 3080. I think I could get about $400 for the 3080. Is the 4070 worth a $100 upgrade? The 3080 seems more powerful but DLSS 3 also seems like a game changer.

I’m at 1440p 144hz
DLSS3 is mainly for single player games due to increased latency. I'm guessing with DLSS2, you're probably close to or hitting your 144Hz cap with your 3080.

Double check that you actually have the deal in your Amex since it's a target offer (I don't have it).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

Double check that you actually have the deal in your Amex since it's a target offer (I don't have it).

same or else I woulda used it! drat you... financial algorithms!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looking to update my old 1060 and can't really gage between the 3060 ti or 67xx since they seem to be comparable in just about everything. I'm largely gonna just use this for gaming but nothing super high end.

Probably will need to update my psu from my current 520W too, but that's an easier switch.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Xelkelvos posted:

Looking to update my old 1060 and can't really gage between the 3060 ti or 67xx since they seem to be comparable in just about everything. I'm largely gonna just use this for gaming but nothing super high end.

Probably will need to update my psu from my current 520W too, but that's an easier switch.

I just made the move from a 1060 to a 6700 XT and it's been a great upgrade so far. You're right that both parts are extremely comparable in gaming performance, and you'd probably be just as happy with either. The 3060 Ti has less VRAM (which might have some ramifications down the road if you're gonna stick with the card for a while) and performs a few frames worse in some games, but it's also got nicer bells and whistles as well as broader compatibility / functionality with AI and production stuff. I'd let your heart make the decision or, failing that, your wallet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

slidebite posted:

Talk him into a modern case and having a $20-$30 external optical drive on the off chance it's ever needed?

This is what I'm intending to do. I sent him a list of nice modern/modern-retro cases that to my eyes look a drat sight more interesting and will offer much better airflow that the sarcophagus of the Fractal Design Define R4. He says he definitely still needs a disc drive to rip his CD collection but I imagine he was probably able to archive the majority of those many years ago. And a USB drive can be brought out otherwise.

So assuming he's going to go for a new case, though he uses a variety of USB hubs plugged into the motherboard, his main needs are sufficient space for 3-4 internal hard drives. Would all mid-towers provide space for those? Any particular cases with a nice range of front I/O ports? I'm thinking of £150 or less, some of the cases are hundreds of pounds and that's out of budget.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 17, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lancool 2 Mesh. Supports a ton of drives, has good cooling, and should be available well under 150 pounds

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fractal Meshify 2 will hold as many 3.5" drives as you could reasonably care to shove in it.

Front ports are limited to 2 USB3 type A ports and one USB-C, which is fairly average these days.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m at 1440p 144hz

DLSS3 is neat, not a game changer. Presumably, you have the 10gb vram 3080, in which case is it worth it to pay $100 for 2gb more vram, better power efficiency, and dlss3? The latter you may never even use. If you have a 12gb version, I would argue a hard no, don't bother.

Either way, the 3080 is extremely capable. Nvidia will have the 50xx series in a year to year and a half from now. AMD...who knows what the gently caress they are doing. Were I in your shoes, I'd wait it out unless you are immediately vram constrained (in which case, going up to just 12gb is a bandaid that will fall off in a year).

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Yudo posted:

DLSS3 is neat, not a game changer. Presumably, you have the 10gb vram 3080, in which case is it worth it to pay $100 for 2gb more vram, better power efficiency, and dlss3? The latter you may never even use. If you have a 12gb version, I would argue a hard no, don't bother.

Either way, the 3080 is extremely capable. Nvidia will have the 50xx series in a year to year and a half from now. AMD...who knows what the gently caress they are doing. Were I in your shoes, I'd wait it out unless you are immediately vram constrained (in which case, going up to just 12gb is a bandaid that will fall off in a year).

Thanks for this. It’s the 10GB version, yeah. I think I’m gonna stick with my original plan and wait for the 5 series.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Friends asked me to price out a PC for them that I will hopefully have the honor of building. I want you to tell me how to make this better.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? :pcgaming:
What's your budget? ~$1000 with flexibility.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 60hz, existing Mac monitor. Desired graphics settings and FPS is at least exceeding a current gen console experience.

Proposed build:

Corsair RM750e 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold $99 @ Microcenter
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe $55 @ Microcenter
ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Dual-Fan 12GB $329 @ Microcenter
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI B650-P Pro WiFi, G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR5-6000 Combo $399 @ Microcenter
Fractal Design Meshify C Tinted Tempered Glass Midtower ATX Case - Black $99 @ Microcenter
Windows 10/11 key from our SA guy $15

Pretax Total, minus CPU cooler: $996

Several questions:

1) What CPU cooler should be added to the 7700X? This will be running at stock settings. Initially I wrote up this build for the 7700 non-x, but we would lose out on the bundle offer.
2) Any issues with a PCIE 3.0 vs a 4.0 SSD at this budget level?
3) Any alternative GPUs I should consider? Will spending $X more give me more leeway?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

Friends asked me to price out a PC for them that I will hopefully have the honor of building. I want you to tell me how to make this better.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? :pcgaming:
What's your budget? ~$1000 with flexibility.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 60hz, existing Mac monitor. Desired graphics settings and FPS is at least exceeding a current gen console experience.

Proposed build:

Corsair RM750e 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold $99 @ Microcenter
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe $55 @ Microcenter
ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Dual-Fan 12GB $329 @ Microcenter
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI B650-P Pro WiFi, G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR5-6000 Combo $399 @ Microcenter
Fractal Design Meshify C Tinted Tempered Glass Midtower ATX Case - Black $99 @ Microcenter
Windows 10/11 key from our SA guy $15

Pretax Total, minus CPU cooler: $996

Several questions:

1) What CPU cooler should be added to the 7700X? This will be running at stock settings. Initially I wrote up this build for the 7700 non-x, but we would lose out on the bundle offer.
2) Any issues with a PCIE 3.0 vs a 4.0 SSD at this budget level?
3) Any alternative GPUs I should consider? Will spending $X more give me more leeway?

The Thermalright Peerless Assassin is cheap (~$30) and can handle that CPU easily.

No, with a drive as fast as the 970 Evo you won't notice any difference. I have the 2tb version of that drive, and one of the fasted PCE4 NVMEs on the market. The number of times I noticed any difference I could count on one hand.

The 6700XT is roughly equivalent to the PS5. To get something more performant, you would need to spend at least $100 more on a AMD 6800--25% faster on average, for 23% more money. After that, the rest of your options are $500 and up (in order of raster performance, the 6800xt at $500, 4070 at $590, and the 6950xt also at $590). If you are willing to buy used, there are some nice prices on 3080s out there, though I can see why you might be reluctant to go that route. It really comes down to what games you want to play, and how much you are willing to stretch your budget.

Edit: also, where is the PSU? Are you recycling and old one? If so, how old is it?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So this thing POSTs with everything in except the graphics card--I'm looking at it now and powering the GPU seems to rely on plugging four PCI-E 8-pin connectors into a single 12-pin adapter. This PSU (Corsair RM1000x) didn't come with four PCI-E cables, but it did come with two cables that have two 8-pin connectors each.

Can I plug the same cable coming out of the PSU into two connectors on the GPU power adapter?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

Can I plug the same cable coming out of the PSU into two connectors on the GPU power adapter?

Yes, it's how they're designed.

Unless desk space is at an absolute premium, I'd suggest the Lancool 216 over the Meshify C. Same price, better airflow, better fans, better front panel design, better I/O.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
Couple of RAM questions.

I was planning on getting this RAM for my system: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B15DST2L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 but I noticed it was meant for an Intel motherboard and my build is using an AMD motherboard. Will this RAM still work with an AMD board? Also, is getting RAM at CL36 worth the $15-$20 price increase over something that's CL40?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

For AMD you want CL30.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yudo posted:

The Thermalright Peerless Assassin is cheap (~$30) and can handle that CPU easily.

No, with a drive as fast as the 970 Evo you won't notice any difference. I have the 2tb version of that drive, and one of the fasted PCE4 NVMEs on the market. The number of times I noticed any difference I could count on one hand.

The 6700XT is roughly equivalent to the PS5. To get something more performant, you would need to spend at least $100 more on a AMD 6800--25% faster on average, for 23% more money. After that, the rest of your options are $500 and up (in order of raster performance, the 6800xt at $500, 4070 at $590, and the 6950xt also at $590). If you are willing to buy used, there are some nice prices on 3080s out there, though I can see why you might be reluctant to go that route. It really comes down to what games you want to play, and how much you are willing to stretch your budget.

Edit: also, where is the PSU? Are you recycling and old one? If so, how old is it?

It’s the Corsair at the top of the original post. I realize now how weird it is to post the PSU first.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

It’s the Corsair at the top of the original post. I realize now how weird it is to post the PSU first.

Sorry, missed it. Long day.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Couple of RAM questions.

I was planning on getting this RAM for my system: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B15DST2L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 but I noticed it was meant for an Intel motherboard and my build is using an AMD motherboard. Will this RAM still work with an AMD board? Also, is getting RAM at CL36 worth the $15-$20 price increase over something that's CL40?

Intel vs AMD ram is not a thing, DDR5 is DDR5, go nuts. AMD does tend to be more sensitive to ram speed and timings but it's only going to be a few % difference in most cases. If you can swing the cost difference easily go for it (but maybe consider going even faster as mentioned above) but if it's a budget build you could live happily on slow ram and never notice it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For non-X3D Ryzen 7000 chips, I do actually recommend spending the $25 extra or whatever on DDR5 with tighter timings. Hardware Unboxed did a video that shows the difference, and it can vary a lot by the game, but it's enough that the extra money for faster memory seems pretty worth it, especially when you consider the contribution to your PC's overall cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOatIQuQo3s

The best gains of course come from manually tuned timings, and the timings given in the video generally work fine for almost everyone, but I'd still recommend just setting the expo profile and forgetting it unless you want to spend a while stability testing your memory overclock.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

doesn't look like cards are ever going to drop to non-obscene money ever again so scew it, time for a new gaming pc.

What country are you in? UK
Do you live near a Microcenter? Nope
What are you using the system for? mostly gaming, mix of AAA shooters and nuerodivergent nerd poo poo like factorio and dwarf fortress. some CAD/Blender.
What's your budget? £2k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1400p @ 144Hz, got gsync but not freesync so sticking with green all other things being equal

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£368.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (£191.64 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory (£176.60 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£112.99 @ Box Limited)
Video Card: PNY VERTO GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card (£754.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case (£119.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850GF 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£119.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1844.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-08-17 16:18 BST+0100

any obvious flaws or performance left on the table? apart from the over provisioning of ram which is for sure overkill, but on the otherhand big number

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

See, I would actually recommend going cheaper on the CPU and heatsink and getting a 4070 instead. 64GB is also pretty overkill, especially since that's always upgradeable. If you're worried about longevity, going with a Ryzen 7000-based system should also be a consideration since those CPUs are on a socket that should see new products for several more years. For example, this collection of parts costs slightly less than the new parts you're buying here but would net you much more gaming performance in the short term while also having more upgradeability in the long term. The bonus of getting a 7700 is that you can use a much cheaper cooler since it draws less power/generates less heat while not sacrificing gaming performance. If you live near a micro center, you can save a lot more money with this bundle: https://www.microcenter.com/product...ter-build-combo

Or if you want to stick with a cheaper GPU to save money, then I'd still recommend not buying a $400 13700K in your situation. In fact, I'd recommend it even less. Get a Ryzen 7600 or something in that case, in my opinion.

I've been traveling the last few days, thus the delayed response.

I really like this idea. I did some digging and the Ryzen is comparable for gaming performance with the 13700k, but has a better upgrade path. However, I Have to ask... is that heat-sink adequate? It looks very similar to my current i5 heatsink minuse one 120mm fan (which i would move). I presume that a much more modern CPU would have much higher heat output and require a much larger heatsink.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JustJeff88 posted:

I really like this idea. I did some digging and the Ryzen is comparable for gaming performance with the 13700k, but has a better upgrade path. However, I Have to ask... is that heat-sink adequate? It looks very similar to my current i5 heatsink minuse one 120mm fan (which i would move). I presume that a much more modern CPU would have much higher heat output and require a much larger heatsink.

Depends on when your i5 is from but (picking at random) the 8600's TDP is 95 watts and the Ryzen 7700 is 65 watts.

There are some big beefy boy space heater processors but at the lower end of the stack things are extremely efficient when it comes to power consumption.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Yudo posted:

Sorry, missed it. Long day.

They want to do a prebuilt instead off Craigslist :negative: :negative: :negative:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

They want to do a prebuilt instead off Craigslist :negative: :negative: :negative:

Yikes. Get out of tech support duty if they go the mystery box route.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

More modern doesn't necessarily mean more heat output. Ryzen CPUs are very efficient, especially when they lack the X. The 7700X has about a 100 or 200 MHz higher max boost clock than the 7700 but it uses a lot more power to achieve that. The 7700's TDP is 65W, but its real power limit is somewhere around 85W. You can pretty comfortably cool that with a single-tower cooler. If you were to get the 7700X for that little bit of extra oomph though, you should get a bigger cooler (e.g. Thermalright Peerless Assassin)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Idle chit-chat here - my 2021 machine (Ryzen 5 5600x with 16GB 3200MHz RAM) and a Western Digital SN850X drive is pretty sexy. I replaced the Covid-tear (see what I did there?) Nvidia GeForce 710 a short time ago with a AMD Radeon 550. Apart from the GPU, it looks like there's little reason to upgrade within the next few years. Is CPU performance levelling out? I mean the 5600x is no slouch but I'm just curious as to what's next.

Some of those Intel CPUs seem like radiators.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wouldn't say CPU performance is "leveling out," but the 5600X is still a very solid CPU, and I wouldn't worry about replacing it if you're not unhappy with its performance. AMD took a couple years to release the Ryzen 7000 series, and now the next CPU series is expected to release early next year. It will probably be moderately better than the 7000 series, which was moderately better than the 5000 series, but your 5600X won't suddenly be obsolete.

Intel's CPU roadmap is looking a little more sketchy. This year, they're only expected to release a refresh for their most recent CPU architecture, so the 14th gen is likely only going to be marginally faster than the 13th gen. After that, Intel is moving to some very different-looking architectures. They're moving to multi-chip modules like AMD, and then they're going to get rid of Hyperthreading and replace it with something new that sounds like it might allow multiple cores to work on a single thread. But that's likely at least two or three years away still.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 17, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depends on when your i5 is from but (picking at random) the 8600's TDP is 95 watts and the Ryzen 7700 is 65 watts.

There are some big beefy boy space heater processors but at the lower end of the stack things are extremely efficient when it comes to power consumption.

More modern doesn't necessarily mean more heat output. Ryzen CPUs are very efficient, especially when they lack the X. The 7700X has about a 100 or 200 MHz higher max boost clock than the 7700 but it uses a lot more power to achieve that. The 7700's TDP is 65W, but its real power limit is somewhere around 85W. You can pretty comfortably cool that with a single-tower cooler. If you were to get the 7700X for that little bit of extra oomph though, you should get a bigger cooler (e.g. Thermalright Peerless Assassin)

I have an i5 6600 and my system is very well-cooled. At full idle, my core runs below room temperature: 18C... and that's with no liquid cooling. That heat sink that you showed looks so similar to what I have that I am wondering if I need a new heatsink at all. At worst, I will take one of the 120mm fans from my old heatsink and add it to the new one. The hard part now is finding someone to do the assembly for me. I've moved several times since I had my last system built and can't go back to the same lad who did it before and did such a fine job.

I've all but decided to go with that Microcentre package that you showed me, Dr. Video Games. I looked at some major benchmark comparisons for the 7700 and the 13700k and, for gaming, they are neck-and-neck. However, I'm still debating on the video card. I am not comfortable spending so much on a video card given that I'm not a hardcore gamer and I only have 1080 monitors... keep in mind that I've been using the same 1070 for over six years. I may just get a 4060 ti, or I may jump up to the 16gb model as my cohort who builds all is own systems thinks that vram is really important for 'future-proofing'. I am very skeptical about this and am not sure I want to spend another €100 for something that, according to benchmarks, only provides a tiny performance improvement.

Edit: I just noticed that you said that the 7700x should have a better cooler than the 7700. That bundle you showed me is a 7700X, so would that not 'invalidate' (for lack of better term) the heatsink that you mentioned?

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 18, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

It’s not physically possible for a CPU or really anything to be colder than room air temperature without refrigeration or putting ice in your water loop.

It sounds like a malfunctioning sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Below room temp is a sensor error unless you have phase change cooling.