Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Probably, GW is oddly consistent about more or less everyone being left handed shooters.
Which can sometimes be really, really annoying when doing conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought for sure that other guy was a re-sculpt of this archon:

But two 40k models seems unlikely.

E: that femur cross-guard on the sword seems pretty on-brand for the vampire counts.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rantmo posted:

When you Fire Overwatch, you get to use all available guns on a model like normal, right?

Yep but they only hit on 6 no matter what.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

rantmo posted:

When you Fire Overwatch, you get to use all available guns on a model like normal, right?

Correct. All legal guns, anyway. You can’t fire pistols along with other guns etc.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Thanks all, that's what I figured I just wanted to make sure.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does it seem weird to anyone else that they don't make torrent weapons also have to roll to hit on overwatch? It's just such a night and day difference in overwatch.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they don't make torrent weapons also have to roll to hit on overwatch? It's just such a night and day difference in overwatch.

It doesn't feel weird to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You just roll for number of attacks, no? Torrent automatically hits.

E: oh, no not weird at all - that's what they're for.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Even in a game with a lot of arbitrary weirdness, the idea of flamethrowers being the ideal weapon for overwatch is deeply bizarre.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It just means that when I finally pull the trigger on buying into Blood Angels that a Baal Predator is going to be a much earlier purchase than it might otherwise have been.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I know this has been asked a billion times before, but I can't seem to find the answer in searches of the old thread, but where in the gently caress can I find "Rubber Steel" sheets in the USA?

I've been using the "Really Useful Boxes" for mini storage and overall love it, but the magnetic rubber sheets i've found aren't quite cutting it. It sounds like "Rubber Steel" or "Ferrous Rubber" is what I want, but I can't find anything outside of paying through the nose for shipping. It's baffling to me that nowhere in the US has this stuff, but that seems to be the case.

The best I could find is this stuff , but it's all sold out with no ETA on when it will be back.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kaal posted:

Even in a game with a lot of arbitrary weirdness, the idea of flamethrowers being the ideal weapon for overwatch is deeply bizarre.

Flamers have a pretty short range, if one is hitting you on overwatch you are basically within assault range. It makes sense to me that a dude with a flamethrower can see enemies coming at him and just blast the area with fuel. The difficulty to hit on overwatch is I guess supposed to reflect the difficulty of making an accurate shot in quick response, and it's not like you have to aim a flamethrower except in the most rudimentary sense. It makes more sense to me than the fact you can also use Overwatch to fire an Indirect weapon at a unit.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm asking less about the abstraction of what's going on, I mean mechanically, it feels kind of weird to me that there's this immense flattening of to-hit rolls that's essentially universal except for this one weapon type that is completely unaffected.

Charging a old style tactical squad with one flamer would be one thing, but how are you going to charge a large unit armed entirely with them?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jack B Nimble posted:

Charging a old style tactical squad with one flamer would be one thing, but how are you going to charge a large unit armed entirely with them?

If you're a GEQ you probably just don't.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

FishFood posted:

I know this has been asked a billion times before, but I can't seem to find the answer in searches of the old thread, but where in the gently caress can I find "Rubber Steel" sheets in the USA?

I've been using the "Really Useful Boxes" for mini storage and overall love it, but the magnetic rubber sheets i've found aren't quite cutting it. It sounds like "Rubber Steel" or "Ferrous Rubber" is what I want, but I can't find anything outside of paying through the nose for shipping. It's baffling to me that nowhere in the US has this stuff, but that seems to be the case.

The best I could find is this stuff , but it's all sold out with no ETA on when it will be back.

I use really useful boxes too, but I just use sheet metal. You can get a 10'x1' roll for ~$10 and some tin snips for about the same. More attractions force than ferrous rubber too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kaal posted:

This is actually one of the less bizarre ideas. In WW2 the British were working on an anti-aircraft flamethrower, the Lagonda, to repel German dive-bombers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Probably, GW is oddly consistent about more or less everyone being left handed shooters.
Which can sometimes be really, really annoying when doing conversions.

I've always viewed that as they are right handed and you put the most important weapon in your dominant hand, which is the sword as you're going to use that a lot and the pistol is basically just so you're not totally useless at range.

Like a Commissar wielding a chainsword and a bolt pistol will use their dominant hand for the chainsword because they will use that a bunch in a melee but if they aren't super accurate with the pistol it doesn't matter as they are only firing it as they charge towards someone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Firing it more when someone isn't charging, but same idea.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm asking less about the abstraction of what's going on, I mean mechanically, it feels kind of weird to me that there's this immense flattening of to-hit rolls that's essentially universal except for this one weapon type that is completely unaffected.

Their mechanical usage is also as a charge deterrent.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Well now I know the special feeling of watching a fully finished 3-4k admech army fall off a table and onto the floor! It was beautiful in a way, a tumbling sea of nuln oil and leadbelcher. I think I said something along the lines “jeremy fuckin jesus!” in the moment, for your reference.

Good (?) news is it was kind of a sliding fall on a tray, and only about a dozen minis broke. The one true cost is a cool converted staff bit that has vanished, but for an army where everything has dainty aerials it wasn’t that bad. Also narrowly avoided taking out an unfinished Sylvaneth army on the way down, that part was actually a little miraculous honestly cuz I thought that poo poo was finished for sure looking at the mess.

So anyways, watch what you’re doing when you’re moving stuff around the house.

:stonklol:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Monoliths posted:

Well now I know the special feeling of watching a fully finished 3-4k admech army fall off a table and onto the floor! It was beautiful in a way, a tumbling sea of nuln oil and leadbelcher. I think I said something along the lines “jeremy fuckin jesus!” in the moment, for your reference.

Good (?) news is it was kind of a sliding fall on a tray, and only about a dozen minis broke. The one true cost is a cool converted staff bit that has vanished, but for an army where everything has dainty aerials it wasn’t that bad. Also narrowly avoided taking out an unfinished Sylvaneth army on the way down, that part was actually a little miraculous honestly cuz I thought that poo poo was finished for sure looking at the mess.

So anyways, watch what you’re doing when you’re moving stuff around the house.

:stonklol:

Good lord, the antennae on my Vanguard break when I breathe on them too hard. I can't imagine what would happen in this situation.

Glad things turned out okay for you.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So if Hellblasters die from hazardous rolls on Overwatch, and then they roll a 3+ and they’re able to shoot again(because of their ability), do they shoot with Overwatch rules on 6s hitting or do they shoot normally?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

So if Hellblasters die from hazardous rolls on Overwatch, and then they roll a 3+ and they’re able to shoot again(because of their ability), do they shoot with Overwatch rules on 6s hitting or do they shoot normally?
From how I've seen it played on Bat reps, they shoot normally.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Monoliths posted:

Praise be to the Omnissiah.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

FishFood posted:

I also got some really useful boxes recently and ended up just getting galvanized 8x12 metal sheets and used 2 part epoxy to secure them to the bottom of the container. I did try the rubber magnetic adhesive sheets and they... well sucked.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I did find out that there's a workaround for Canadian Warhammer+ subscribers in that you can still subscribe in the old Warhammer app and it works fine.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
You charge flamer heavy units from behind obscuring terrain of course, so they can't see you to shoot you.

Question re: indirect fire and overwatch - can you still fire overwatch at a unit if you can't see it? Last edition it was a firm no. This edition I'm not sure.

Also, one of the tables at our game day last week wasn't secure and one set of legs folded in and dumped a 2k votann army, half a table worth of terrain, and a few black Templars on the ground. No real damage just some magnetized arms and guns went flying. The whole room got really quiet though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

hoiyes posted:

From how I've seen it played on Bat reps, they shoot normally.

Cool. That’s how I had been playing it and what seemed to be what the rules intended, but I wasn’t sure.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Axetrain posted:

I also got some really useful boxes recently and ended up just getting galvanized 8x12 metal sheets and used 2 part epoxy to secure them to the bottom of the container. I did try the rubber magnetic adhesive sheets and they... well sucked.

Weird to see people saying this. I use ferrous rubber, and I can literally hold the boxes upside down and shake them vigorously and nothing moves. What are y'all doing to need more attraction force then that?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Devorum posted:

Weird to see people saying this. I use ferrous rubber, and I can literally hold the boxes upside down and shake them vigorously and nothing moves. What are y'all doing to need more attraction force then that?
I think there's two different sheets out there. There's the weakly magnetic sheets that you cut out to use as backing for fridge magnets etc. I found that stuff has a crappy hold to magnets in bases. The ferrous rubber, which isn't magnetic in itself just infused with iron, more strongly holds magnets.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Okay, I've read most of the core rule book. . . how do I build an army?

I want to put together a 500 or 1000 point DKoK army so I have an idea of what to work towards.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

hoiyes posted:

I think there's two different sheets out there. There's the weakly magnetic sheets that you cut out to use as backing for fridge magnets etc. I found that stuff has a crappy hold to magnets in bases. The ferrous rubber, which isn't magnetic in itself just infused with iron, more strongly holds magnets.

That's probably it. There's a world of difference between magnetic rubber and ferrous rubber.

I order all mine from the UK. Place called The Magnet Shop. https://www.themagnetshop.co.uk/

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wrr posted:

Okay, I've read most of the core rule book. . . how do I build an army?

I want to put together a 500 or 1000 point DKoK army so I have an idea of what to work towards.

If you grab the 40k app it's pretty convenient for throwing things together.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So since DKoK doesn't have any characters (as far as I can tell) I just gotta grab some rando from the list?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wrr posted:

So since DKoK doesn't have any characters (as far as I can tell) I just gotta grab some rando from the list?

Character is a keyword some models have and doesn't necessarily refer to a named character. You can use a pretty wide variety of character units as your warlord.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Wrr posted:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Character is a keyword some models have and doesn't necessarily refer to a named character. You can use a pretty wide variety of character units as your warlord.

Yeah, named characters are now keyworded as "Epic Heroes." "Character" mostly just means "Dude what can walk around on his own, not part of a unit." A Space Marine Captain, for example, is a character.

DKoK are Astra Militarum, so you'd need the Astra Militarum index cards and for your DKoK specific options you'd want the Imperial Armor: Astra Militarum Part 1 cards. Very first unit in the latter is the Death Korps Marshal, kinda designed as a potential warlord for DKoK forces.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought one extra screamer-killer which, when added to the levithan boxed set, seems to make about a thousand points. I know absolutely nothing about Tyranids and haven't assembled anything yet, but I want to keep it on hand as a spare army for friends.

Anyway, what's the best single box/unit I could buy to diversify what I have? Still keeping it at a thousand points, but just giving the list more choices or more balanced. I feel like it currently lacks any anti-tank? Maybe a Biovore?

If you can I'd advise waiting a bit before buying anything else, as the codex and new points values may well change a lot about how individual units play. We should have more solid rules details in around 2-3 weeks time.

However under current rules & points, Zoanthropes are the #1 pick for Tyranid lists. They act as a solid synapse unit to help coordinate your army while also putting out very respectable anti-armour firepower. Screen them with 6++ neurogaunts to protect them from charges while also extending synapse coverage. The Haruspex is also currently very cheap compared to the damage it can do.

For other anti-tank, the new Norn Assimilator unit is likely to be effective at breaking heavy armour given the description we've heard for it so far. Biovores are more of a board control unit with limited damage output. Their rules are likely to change to some degree with a new, much larger, model on the way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The codex will have multiple detachments which will most likely significantly change the relative value of various units in the book so just sit tight for that before committing to anything unless you really love x model so much you're willing to get burned for buying the maximum fieldable amount and they turn out crappy.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Stephenls posted:

Yeah, named characters are now keyworded as "Epic Heroes." "Character" mostly just means "Dude what can walk around on his own, not part of a unit." A Space Marine Captain, for example, is a character.

DKoK are Astra Militarum, so you'd need the Astra Militarum index cards and for your DKoK specific options you'd want the Imperial Armor: Astra Militarum Part 1 cards. Very first unit in the latter is the Death Korps Marshal, kinda designed as a potential warlord for DKoK forces.

Oh, thank you. I had the regular index cards but I didn't know about the Armor: Astra Militarum cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Wrr posted:

Oh, thank you. I had the regular index cards but I didn't know about the Armor: Astra Militarum cards.

You'll need at least 20 infantry, but you almost certainly want to run two blobs of 20. I'd also grab a Leman Russ, can't go wrong there. I'm working on the same goal, 1000pts of vostroyan guard. Artillery is also a big must.

I'd strongly recommend you recreate the cadian combat patrol as well. That way you have a working combat patrol, which is how most people are playing the equivalent of 500pts. In my local area people are taking GW saying 500pts games aren't balanced very seriously and won't play that low except for CP.