Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CPColin posted:

Where should I set the "tone" knob on my speakers though
sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CPColin posted:

In the garbage so you can replace it with a mother of pearl knob

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

mystes posted:

sarcastic

This would be good for Zoom meetings

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

johnnyratbastard posted:

Should have cooked it at aloha temperature.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CPColin posted:

1:00

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CPColin posted:

If (and only if) you're listening to Funky Cold Media, set it to "Loc".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

CPColin posted:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
"Soundin' aint easy"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The tone knob goes from "-" to "+" btw

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

can't go wrong with the rule of lahey: six outta ten

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Those panels should be in the opposite order and "you" should be "ye", hth

:hmmyes:

e:

Grassy Knowles posted:

In the garbage so you can replace it with a mother of pearl knob

Pearl? Get on my level you absolute audio scrub I actually feel sorry for you if you don't have one of these:

quote:

Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!
Only $485 each!!!

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Aug 16, 2023

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Poor Carl :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The complaint is that it's already compressed to poo poo and sounds awful, this just helps equalize the volume difference so you aren't constantly having to adjust every five mins.

... What? No. The complaint is that dialogue is too low while music and action FX are too loud, is that not what we're talking about? That's a dynamic range that's too wide, which is the opposite of being too compressed. I don't disagree with using such a high ratio (although anything over ~8:1 is basically no longer a compressor, for all intents and purposes that's brickwall limiting), but in the pictured example of the VLC comp/limiter settings the threshold is set so low that you're squashing everything. Ideally with a ratio that high you just want to lop off the very loudest sounds and bring up a bit of makeup gain. With the threshold that low and the ratio brickwalled, you're likely going to start crushing room tone into your dialogue scenes which will sound like dogshit.

EDIT: Also I would go with a quicker release, in conjunction with the above. Release time that long is going to give you some weird 'breathing/pumping' effects whenever there's a gunshot or explosion. Again all of this is predicated on the ratio and threshold being set more accurately, but digital comps are fairly surgical these days and don't do as much weird poo poo as their predecessors when the ballistics settings are on the aggressive side.

A lot of the complaints of being unable to hear dialogue are due to aging audiences, but there is absolutely truth to the idea that films (and some TV shows) are mixed to bizarrely-wide dynamic ranges that are unrealistic for most viewing environments outside of theatres. Christopher Nolan (and whoever his mixers are) famously not only prefers dialogue mixed low, but adamantly refuses to use ADR, so if that on-set audio is mumbly or garbled, that's what you're hearing in the theatre. I might be wrong about this but I seem to remember the studio had to force him to go and ADR Bane's dialogue for TDKR because test audiences couldn't make out a word he was saying in that mask.

lobsterminator posted:

This reminds me of how ages ago people would share their Winamp EQ settings for the perfect sound and they were always some over the top hosed up boost/cut combos that had no chance of sounding good.

Say what you will about those kids, some of them grew up to be exceptional mastering engineers.

... Not me, but some of them.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Aug 16, 2023

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I get a really funny feeling looking at those Winamp screenshots

I guess I know now why the word nostalgia was originally related to a disorder

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Amphigory posted:

I get a really funny feeling looking at those Winamp screenshots

The only cure is whipping a llama's rear end

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That poor llama :(

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Don't worry the llama lloves it

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

CPColin posted:

The tone knob goes from "-" to "+" btw

fartknocker posted:

This one goes to 11

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's a lot of memes in the Winamp Skin Museum

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
All these winamp screens and no milk drop visualizer, shameful.

Good info, thanks for the explanations. I may mess with the threshold and ratio a bit. I just found that image a while back and it helps me watch a pretty wide variety of stuff without subtitles or scrambling for the remote during poorly mixed ranges for action/music scenes.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

proclick

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I tried the foot thing and it’s easier than I thought

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Amphigory posted:

It's delicate... but potent. Translated literally from Greek it means 'pain from an old wound' :smuggo:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My god, it's beautiful

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Good info, thanks for the explanations. I may mess with the threshold and ratio a bit. I just found that image a while back and it helps me watch a pretty wide variety of stuff without subtitles or scrambling for the remote during poorly mixed ranges for action/music scenes.

No problemo! Sorry I hope I didn't come off as rude there. And really, these settings are all case-by-case. You might have a mix where the dialogue is legitimately mixed that low that you'll have to really bring the threshold down. Basically what I do is start with the ratio and ballistics (attack/release) to decide what kind of compression/limiting I want, then bring down the threshold from wide open until it's doing what I want - in this case, grabbing the peaks and leaving the quieter stuff alone.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Best skin, hands down

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://botsin.space/@winampskins is a fun follow. Also, because of that, I briefly forgot where on the internet I was

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

freeedr posted:

I tried the foot thing and it’s easier than I thought

It really is easy; I’ve always weirded people out doing it, but I bet if they tried doing it themselves it wouldn’t have been a big deal

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Lol

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Old Surly posted:

Best skin, hands down

https://youtu.be/atBO6e7k5Wo&t=17m48s

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Aug 17, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

You can fix this for some stuff by messing with the compressor settings in VLC if it's a media that isn't streaming:

Hmm, yes, let me just modify my knee radius, that should fix it. I think this thing is broken, I keep moving the Makeup Gain slider up and down but I've still got the same amount of makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Have you tried flimbling your digiorno