Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I have a Calsynth Rangoon and it's a great feeling module. My actual chatting with the owner was brief but he seemed pretty cool and willing to answer any questions I had. I'm definitely going through them to get my Ripples clone now that I'm upgrading from the Neutron bit by bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I keep meaning to grab a couple more Calsynth MI clones; my Pleiades (Plaits) certainly feels like it lives up the the "Rolls-Royce of MI clones" moniker I've heard in a couple circles.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Had a rings clone from Calsynth and one of their ST Modular builds. Another vote for them - quality feeling stuff.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Calsynth and Michigan Synth Works seem like they have the best reputations, everyone seems to love the Calsynth guy on other forums. Also a more stylistic option that I always liked and heard good things about build quality with is Big T Music at slateandash.com (UK-based).

After Later has a good reputation and seem like nice people but personally I think their panel designs are kinda ugly.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

edgar_ posted:

Calsynth and Michigan Synth Works seem like they have the best reputations, everyone seems to love the Calsynth guy on other forums. Also a more stylistic option that I always liked and heard good things about build quality with is Big T Music at slateandash.com (UK-based).

After Later has a good reputation and seem like nice people but personally I think their panel designs are kinda ugly.
What's not to love?

LoL

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller posted:

What's not to love?

LoL

lol if you don’t go from Splarf 2 to Splarf 1 when you look at this panel

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

What's not to love?

LoL

unironically one of their best designs

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Slow down, I’m gonna splarf

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

What's not to love?

LoL

nah this loving owns

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

B33rChiller posted:

Cool to hear, re; the ALA folks.
So far out of the small outfits on the West coast, I've now heard good things about after later, noise engineering, capital city transistor and valve,
And read some incredibly poor online behaviour from the owner of synthrotek.
Any others to add to the piles?

The guy from Acid Rain is a regular on the RMR Discord and he's a stand-up dude. And when I had a capacitor fall off my Bad Comrade, the guy from Recovery was really nice about fixing it personally and didn't charge me a dime. I met the guys from Mystic Circuits and AI Synthesis at Velocity Festival briefly too, and they're both super nice folks.

And of course Thea from Winterbloom is amazing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

^^^^ cool, thanks. It's nice to hear of pleasant interactions with good folks.

watho posted:

nah this loving owns
Agreed.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 17, 2023

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

G-Storm Electro is a great dude as well. Makes a lot of vintage repro Eurorack stuff (Roland Oscs and Filters, Synton Syrinx vocal formant filter, Korg filters etc). Went out of his way to offer me solutions to a voltage scaling issue my system had with his SH-101 Osc, which was totally my end and just typical issues with mixing stuff that looks for -5v - 5v vs 0v - 10v. He took the time to ask what utilities I had, offered solutions with what I had as well as a couple of modules at different price points as other options. He owed me exactly none of that, and it seems as though he just makes all this stuff in his own workshop and sells direct on Reverb, so about as small time as you can get.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

RocketMermaid posted:

The guy from Acid Rain is a regular on the RMR Discord and he's a stand-up dude. And when I had a capacitor fall off my Bad Comrade, the guy from Recovery was really nice about fixing it personally and didn't charge me a dime. I met the guys from Mystic Circuits and AI Synthesis at Velocity Festival briefly too, and they're both super nice folks.

And of course Thea from Winterbloom is amazing.

Yeah, the Acid Rain dude is super personable. He pipes up in a few discords now and then.

The Synthfox guy is in the New York Modular Society Discord and is super cool, he'll talk to you about custom builds pretty easily.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
synthfox uses they / she pronouns

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Oh right on, sorry about that.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

Anyone got any theories how he's sequencing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5RRIReM7g

It kinda sounds like a loop being fed through a plugin that does a "ratchet glitch" type thing with probability. I guess I should just try to mimic it in VCV but it also sounds like a fun topic to chat about.

I could also just ask him directly but youtube comments are poison.

generally, i find with these sort of rythms most people are doing it the obvious way - programming/sequencing it all by hand. It's not really as time consuming as people assume, i think its probably faster to just program what you want rather than gently caress around with some sort of midi plugin to get the right effect.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Making oatmeal by hand? No! This is what Rube Goldberg machines are for

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
They're roasting Bad Gear today at noon eastern for his 100k sub special. Looks like hainbach and the rest of the yt synth scene will be there

https://youtu.be/9XNoP19uSco

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
that ratcheting effect might me easy to add to an instrument using something like 2hp slice + any gate seq with probability

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcyP51Eqx4

Posted in wind thread too, but lol. Time stamp 1:20 makes me so happy.

Getting a pickup to play into my racks, soon.

edit: watching this it occurs to me that however she's monitoring this, she's hearing the dry signal loud and clear since reeds reverb in your loving skull cavity. Seems like that will be an interesting listening game, especially also having to pick my tinnitus out of the mix and put a mental block on it.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 19, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Makes me wonder if it's possible to play a tone to destructively interfere with your tinnitus. The mechanism of disorder might prevent picking up that frequency though. I don't know enough about that.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Magnificent.

Have you tried the trick where you tap on the back of your neck?

Some news since I've been away: First, I wrote up a python script that takes a rhythm (4/4 only for the moment) and offers some variations. If anyone uses it, let me know what you think!

Second, I changed my pronouns to she/her.

Ciao!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

So Math posted:

Magnificent.

Some news since I've been away: First, I wrote up a python script that takes a rhythm (4/4 only for the moment) and offers some variations. If anyone uses it, let me know what you think!

Ciao!
Whoa cool, and congrats.
I don't actually have tinnitus, I was just sharing thoughts. No way to test myself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if there's tones to "destructively interfere with your tinnitus" but there are absolutely frequencies that make some songs unpleasant to listen to. There's some spots in the treble range that sound like I'm listening to a low bitrate mp3.

No idea if it's different for every tinnitus sufferer, like maybe the uncomfortable spots for me are where the damaged follicles are, and everyone got damaged in a slightly different spot? I ain't no doctor.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

So Math posted:

Magnificent.

Ciao!

congrats!!!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'll go post in the goon doctor, "asking for a friend" so we can all learn more about hearing.

Maybe some morphine will help that hearing?
No. bad chiller. [insert handslap smilie]

watho
Aug 2, 2013

So Math posted:

to expand on this this only works with tension or stress related tinnitus and not hearing damage, from my understanding the former is way more common than the latter tho but probably not in this thread or sub forum

So Math posted:

hell yeah :glomp:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

watho posted:

to expand on this this only works with tension or stress related tinnitus and not hearing damage, from my understanding the former is way more common than the latter tho but probably not in this thread or sub forum

I don't wanna turn this into the tinnitus thread but the current neurophysical model, which I tend to agree with having been a lab rat in some studies, is that (excluding the extremely rare cases of tinnitus with some kind of direct physical/anatomical cause), nearly all "typical" tinnitus (tonal, sometimes oscillatory, but not correlated to heart beat, which is pulsatile tinnitus, vascular in nature, less common) is the result of this chain of events:
* loss of hearing ability in the cochlea (may be a tiny amount of damage, disproportionate to the tinnitus that results) (may be noise trauma, or drugs like cisplatin that nuke hearing, same results)
* the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus, which receives input from the auditory nerve, increases signal gain to compensate for hearing loss
* neuroplastic changes cause now-dead hearing pathways to get cross-wired into touch-sensing nerve endings from cranial nerves
* you end up "hearing" electrical activity from touch-sensing nerve pathways.

The vast majority of people with tinnitus can in some way modulate the sound through muscle changes, this is why. This is also why stress and posture can make the condition seem worse, but do not actually cause it.

To the extent the head trick works you are in some way loving with this mechanism for a period of time. A much more effective thing to do, based on personal experience, is to have the audiology lab at University of Michigan hook you up to a thing that generates electrical impulses that follow audio beeps by ~20ms or so. The device was an aurdino with a headphone and an electrode and using it 30 mins a day resulted in a substantial tinnitus reduction after 2 weeks, which persisted for the remaining 2 weeks of the trial. (The effect wears off, and the devices are not yet commercially available, though I may eventually dick around with making one for myself if they don't get this poo poo into production in the next year or two)

I was one of the 20 people in this study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29298868/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQoazdaZK14

I think it would be possible to make something that does what this device did in Eurorack format pretty easily; might even be able to make a Max patch that could be flashed to DaisyPatch: the voltages used were low and within eurorack range, the device was powered by a 9v

Of course you couldn't sell it as a medical device, or, possibly, at all without getting sued. Funny idea, though.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 20, 2023

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

If you try this please don't stimulate directly from the synth. The apparatus in the study was battery powered for a reason! Optically isolate the stimuli you generate from the eurorack b4 piping them into your flesh with a battery powered circuit.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Synths and Synthesis MkII: please don't stimulate directly from the synth

watho
Aug 2, 2013

jokes aside that's very interesting stuff to learn and i'm pretty excited to see where the research leads. i have a (mostly) mild case and it usually doesn't affect my day to day life but i know i'm lucky there

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rodney The Yam II posted:

If you try this please don't stimulate directly from the synth. The apparatus in the study was battery powered for a reason! Optically isolate the stimuli you generate from the eurorack b4 piping them into your flesh with a battery powered circuit.

If I was going to build one I'd just use an Arduino like the study did, but the eurorack anti-tinnitus module is a funny idea

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Sure, but if you're running direct current across the cranium you wouldn't want to lose out on all that analog warmth in the signal

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

voltages here are lower than a TENS unit so the risk is less than strapping a TENS unit such that it's conducting directly into cranial nerves

of course, that's a thing that literally every TENS unit I've ever seen explicitly directs you not to do. But, having done it a number of times, I'm still here and the only downside seems to be that I'm gradually becoming more accepting of Behringer stuff.

someone I was talking to is freaked out by the control-voltage stuff that passes basic eurorack CV and similar through the body (https://www.controlvoltage.net/soma-laboratory-enner.html is the big new hotness, looks like?)

I have some of their little 1/8" jack touchplate "patch cables". They are fun and I do not think they're more likely to make me electric than touching any other part of my rack.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 21, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
brb, gonna go wire my buchla to my prostate and my microbrute to the inside of my peehole

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wearing my subwoofer like a hat and putting a 50hz sine wave through it

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

It's not so much voltage but current that is the worry, and while everything might be fine and dandy for you in your experience jacking wall-powered electronics across your body, it would suck to get zapped 2 deth because of a short or some other unforeseen malfunction.

To be clear I'm not trying to drag you down or anything, running electricity across parts of the human body is hella rad! I've worked in BCI related tech and I guess I'm paranoid about best practices during stuff like trans-cranial direct current stimulation ("digital drugs!!")

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

wearing my subwoofer like a hat and putting a 50hz sine wave through it

Subpak but it's a hat. Subhat

Woofedora?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
"this year, Seaboard is proud to announce our new partner in designing revolutionary and forward-thinking control interfaces for synthesizers: Bad Dragon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

"this year, Seaboard is proud to announce our new partner in designing revolutionary and forward-thinking control interfaces for synthesizers: Bad Dragon"

im sure someone has made a eurorack or vcv rack module that can interface with the buttplug.io standard at this point