Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wish John Wick as a series (and esp the last one) actually followed the excellence and concision of the Hong Kong classics (would it be asking too much to not make your okay action movie the length of a godfather film jfc) instead of just the whole surface level rubbing Donnie Yen in your face and going HEY IT'S THIS GUY REMEMBER ALLLLL THE OTHER BETTER MOVIES HE WAS IN THAT YOUD RATHER BE WATCHING

Then again I didn't drool over myself laughing and dribbling popcorn chunks clapping like a seal when I saw Scott Adkins in a fat suit so I'm not the target audience.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will say though the stair fall in John Wick 4 was my top comedic movie moment of the year. Just pure Homer Simpson jumping the gorge amazing

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I wish John Wick as a series (and esp the last one) actually followed the excellence and concision of the Hong Kong classics (would it be asking too much to not make your okay action movie the length of a godfather film jfc) instead of just the whole surface level rubbing Donnie Yen in your face and going HEY IT'S THIS GUY REMEMBER ALLLLL THE OTHER BETTER MOVIES HE WAS IN THAT YOUD RATHER BE WATCHING

Then again I didn't drool over myself laughing and dribbling popcorn chunks clapping like a seal when I saw Scott Adkins in a fat suit so I'm not the target audience.

jw4 was very long but it kicked an unholy amount of rear end throughout and it was the most fun I’d had at a movie in like a year, the camera sliding moving to the top down shot with the fire shotgun had me going nuts

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There were multiple people falling asleep in my theater tbh. I guess I just miss the era of the tight 90 minute action film.
It's still my favorite comedy of the year though. Keanu had some amazing deliveries.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I loudly said "this movie is boring" and then everyone stood up and snored

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well I should say by "multiple" I just mean two people in my row. Still, I was pretty surprised. So much noise and neon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The trick is to actually do the stuff. You can composite it into whatever but you can't just make it in a computer, there's 100 subtle things that don't happen there and your brain says "it's fake". As opposed to actually doing it and removing the wires/compositing people into the shot/removing safety equipment/moving people closer or farther from the explosion/whatever.

I disagree, a lot of the time that people are complaining about bad CGI what they're actually noticing is the compositing of elements, even if those elements were a miniature or live action or whatever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Orvin posted:

... will take the hokey looking shot of the steering wheel flying into the middle of the screen near the end ...

I'm looking for it but I could have sworn George talking about how that was some weird sfx filmed in reverse

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I will say though the stair fall in John Wick 4 was my top comedic movie moment of the year. Just pure Homer Simpson jumping the gorge amazing

I laughed so god drat hard at that. It almost seemed unintentional but there’s just no way lol

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Here you go. Each entry in the John Wick series has been worse than the preceding one while still being perfectly entertaining. John Wick 4 was also three hours long, and it felt like it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This doesn’t make you better than anyone else

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I disagree, a lot of the time that people are complaining about bad CGI what they're actually noticing is the compositing of elements, even if those elements were a miniature or live action or whatever.

I'm sorry you read "try to get as much of the scene in reality as possible and then use compositing instead of making entirely virtual scenes" as "compositing can never result in bad vfx shots".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched Hard Boiled last week for the first time and it is absolutely excellent, yeah.

It’s not really on the same level (and Rob Schneider is a definite mark against it), but Van Damme’s Knock Off is another recent action watch that I really enjoyed.

https://youtu.be/LlwFzSGc770

It’s a Tsui Hark flick, so you know the action’s solid.

lol its great. you know your in for a movie when the movie starts off with Van Damme being whipped through the streets while he pulls a tuk tuk

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I'm sorry you read "try to get as much of the scene in reality as possible and then use compositing instead of making entirely virtual scenes" as "compositing can never result in bad vfx shots".

No, what I mean is “Sometimes when people are complaining about bad CGI they’re looking at something that was done physically”. And similarly there’s a lot of CG people don’t notice.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

This doesn’t make you better than anyone else
🤯 woah bro

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I laughed so god drat hard at that. It almost seemed unintentional but there’s just no way lol
It was absolutely fantastic. Also loved most of Keanu's line deliveries. I know they're supposed to be like, Grizzled Ronin but they felt more like Lost Joe Biden. Works either way.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 16, 2023

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

All this talk of action movies and nobody mentions The Raid? It's definitely one of my favorites.

I was going to say Dredd may have borrowed from it but it looks like they could've been being made concurrently.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 16, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

A Proper Uppercut posted:

All this talk of action movies and nobody mentions The Raid? It's definitely one of my favorites.

I was going to say Dredd may have borrowed from it but it looks like they could've been being made concurrently.

the raid is one of my favorites too, op. if you enjoy Joe taslim (the sergeant in the movie) make sure you’re watching warrior on MAX, which is just a good show by any metric but also features him destroying guys a few times a season

I also always figured dredd ripped it off. they were independently made???

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

the raid is one of my favorites too, op. if you enjoy Joe taslim (the sergeant in the movie) make sure you’re watching warrior on MAX, which is just a good show by any metric but also features him destroying guys a few times a season

I also always figured dredd ripped it off. they were independently made???

Looking at the dates they came right around a year apart, that seems kind of quick but I guess it could have happened.

Oh yea and Warrior is good, I got distracted sometime during the first season though, I should go back.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The raid owns. The sequel goes extremely hard too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I literally get MAX to watch Warrior and Winning Time, mostly Warrior.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ozmunkeh posted:

Here you go. Each entry in the John Wick series has been worse than the preceding one while still being perfectly entertaining. John Wick 4 was also three hours long, and it felt like it.

disagree, JW4 is too long and the guy with the dog should have been cut entirely but other than that it fixed a lot of the problems of JW3

-the super smarmy villain and blind frenemy are vast improvements over the monotone nonbinary person
-the gimmicky super armor SWAT guy fight happens at the beginning instead of as the climax
-the weird desert sultan guy who is king of all assassins or whatever is executed in the first five minutes which seemed to be a very "sorry we know this part was too dumb even for this series you don't have to think about it again" move

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The og John Wick had a story that most people emotionally connected with and a mysterious and nearly inscrutable assassin crime world, as well as Wick himself being vulnerable (seriously go back and watch the movie. He gets hosed up.)

The new ones have Invincible John Wick, nearly no emotional grounding, and none of their reveals of the inner workings of the assassin crime world have been very interesting. Yes, the action is still great and innovative and towers over its contemporaries - partly because yeah, it's really good, and partly because the state of modern movies is so bad. But I really wish they'd been able to keep that emotional throughline and sense of mystery.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

After watching John Wick 2 when it was just released, I went poking around to try and figure out if it was based on an existing IP. There appeared to be a lot going on in the background that was nods to existing or future storyline elements. Turns out there was no existing comic or novel series. But just something seemed to change in the third movie. It went from him being a somewhat proactive assassin to just simply reacting the entire movie. And to me, the movie seemed to lose something in that transition.

It’s probably how the writers were able to deal with sequelitis and the need to make the next movie bigger in every way. I still have to get around to seeing JW4 at some point. Hearing that it might help to fix some of the problems with #3 give me a little hope when facing a 3 hour movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The og John Wick had a story that most people emotionally connected with and a mysterious and nearly inscrutable assassin crime world, as well as Wick himself being vulnerable (seriously go back and watch the movie. He gets hosed up.)

The new ones have Invincible John Wick, nearly no emotional grounding, and none of their reveals of the inner workings of the assassin crime world have been very interesting. Yes, the action is still great and innovative and towers over its contemporaries - partly because yeah, it's really good, and partly because the state of modern movies is so bad. But I really wish they'd been able to keep that emotional throughline and sense of mystery.

There are definitely two schools of thought on John Wick and you've described one of them. There were plenty of people who liked the very streamlined, more emotionally grounded film that was the first John Wick, but then when the sequels started to expand things and become more and more grandiose, they lost some of those people.

But there are also a lot of fans of the series who like the way it's escalated, both in terms of action and also the visuals. For me one of the reasons the sequels have been great is because of the talent they've brought in. Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Rahman from The Raid movies? Yes please. The presence of Mark Dacascos and Donnie Yen elevated JW3 and JW4 waaaay beyond what they would've been without them. Marko Zaror rampaging through every scene in JW4 was endlessly entertaining, the guy has amazing presence.

So yea the series has morphed into a sort of action fan's action showcase, with ridiculously beautiful backdrops in James Bondesque exotic locations. Not everyone's into that but for me it's like a dream action series that I wouldn't have ever expected to go this direction but I'm very glad it did.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Right but I kind of object to your framing that you had to have this Invincible Wick vs Old Europe Courtly Decadence devolution in order to bring those cool guys in.

But there's no use crying over what Wick could have been; we still got great action movies. That's just a fact. I just felt my interest in the actual world and character slip every time the script invented somebody new to either call in or give a favor, every time it tried to go grandiose but instead just became more complicated by banal feudal politics. It elevated the action at the expense of literally everything else but the cinematography. That's a trade they didn't have to make, and it bums me out personally that it happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Right but I kind of object to your framing that you had to have this Invincible Wick vs Old Europe Courtly Decadence devolution in order to bring those cool guys in.

You're right about the talent, that was more just an unclear segue I made into talking about the reasons why I like the sequels.

The awesome locations I think are somewhat connected to the larger world of the High Table and all the politics though. You do need to expand the world of the John Wick that was presented in the first film if you want to have him go to Rome and Osaka and Morroco.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Dredd is so badass dude. like mad max theres almost no lines given to the titular character, and the movie is really about the side character's origin story

I always think of the part where the villain unloads a million rounds into that floor, dread walks out with a prisoner and throws him over the edge, then walks back into the smoke without a word.

Definition of bad rear end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick got over all that poo poo in the first one. Go ham on the stupid lore and locations

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s funny how the director/writer admitted that they had no intention of the background lore being anything but shallow window dressing for the first film. They were not anticipating the incredibly stupid audience demanding more of the ‘high table’.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Imagine they made Mad Max 3 but instead of the movie they made they went really big on the Humongousverse. Instead of Beyond Thunderdome we got Revenge of Brother Humongous, and this fake sequel told you how Lord Humongous lost his hair, why he has that family picture in his revolver case, what the story was on Wez's boyfriend, all that poo poo. And when people said "I'm not sure that we needed to know all that, I would have just preferred more Mad Max adventures with different villains" we were told "well, no actually. You see, all that stuff is required for Mad Max to stay relevant is that they have to keep expanding the world. You need to know about the origin of the razor boomerang and the Council of Humongouses and we needed scenes of Duke Humongous talking with Lady Humongous and Lil' Humongous about what to do about this upstart Mad Max" and it's like, no. That's definitely a choice but not the only choice. You don't need that at all. That is not the only direction you could take this story. And they didn't!

That's why George Miller is the man I guess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Imagine they made Mad Max 3 but instead of the movie they made they went really big on the Humongousverse. Instead of Beyond Thunderdome we got Revenge of Brother Humongous, and this fake sequel told you how Lord Humongous lost his hair, why he has that family picture in his revolver case, what the story was on Wez's boyfriend, all that poo poo. And when people said "I'm not sure that we needed to know all that, I would have just preferred more Mad Max adventures with different villains" we were told "well, no actually. You see, all that stuff is required for Mad Max to stay relevant is that they have to keep expanding the world. You need to know about the origin of the razor boomerang and the Council of Humongouses and we needed scenes of Duke Humongous talking with Lady Humongous and Lil' Humongous about what to do about this upstart Mad Max" and it's like, no. That's definitely a choice but not the only choice. You don't need that at all. That is not the only direction you could take this story. And they didn't!

Well if you cast Ian McShane as Lord Humongous and Lance Reddick as his enigmatic biker buddy you might have ran into the same problem!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The fact that we didn't get at least two more Dredd movies in the last 11 years is proof enough that Hollywood is a dumb as poo poo place with idiots in charge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

It’s funny how the director/writer admitted that they had no intention of the background lore being anything but shallow window dressing for the first film. They were not anticipating the incredibly stupid audience demanding more of the ‘high table’.

That's why I love it. It's not really even all that explained. It's just really fun to see them be like "Ok John you're now a part of the holy secret army, now remove three quarters of your ear, and use your blood to mix with this metal and we can pour it in your eyes"

It just cracks me up and i love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The fact that we didn't get at least two more Dredd movies in the last 11 years is proof enough that Hollywood is a dumb as poo poo place with idiots in charge.

Adi Shankar talked about this, it was a huge pain in the rear end to get the first one fully funded, lots of work for little pay trying to get distribution in tiny international markets. And that unless it was easier second time around we won’t get another dredd from him

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

*Dredd voice* "...Yeah."

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Orvin posted:

I think part of what makes Fury Road so great is that they filmed a lot of it on location with real people on real vehicles. It makes the film look beautiful in a way that CGI just can’t quite get. Admittedly the couple of CGI shots in the movie really stand out, but I will take the hokey looking shot of the steering wheel flying into the middle of the screen near the end if that’s what it takes to get the rest of the movie.

They destroyed a chunk of nature reserve in Namibia shooting it but honestly, I'm fine with that if it gave us fury road

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

you are selling me on this movie you are proposing

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Man, Reservation Dogs is great. Shame it's the final season, but the quality hasn't dipped so far.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Miller can't be bought, he makes a movie when he feels like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

This sounds pretty rad.

Didn't George Miller just pass away earlier this year? I wonder how that will affect the Furiosa movie.