Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol of course, dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
put everything together with screws but then have the customer brick it via a software option to qualify for a discount on a newer model

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

have the customer brick it via a software option to get a discount on a newer model

sonos literally did this a few years back. i think they walked it back after people got upset

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, that is what i was referencing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
screws can be a good aesthetic. bunch of countersunk spanner head screws all clocked the same direction? nice.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i've gotten pretty good at hiding screws or making them blend in with the rest of the design when i'm 3D printing cases for my electronics projects, hire me as a Screw Consultant

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yes, that is what i was referencing

it as a good idea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

i've gotten pretty good at hiding screws or making them blend in with the rest of the design when i'm 3D printing cases for my electronics projects, hire me as a Screw Consultant

these days they prefer to be called “intimacy coordinators”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
“helical loose tenons”

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

there was, back in the mists of time, the expectation that you might own more than one phone battery, keep them charged (on a separate charger, no less), and swap them in as needed

this went away as the smartphone era dawned

yes, im aware. we werent talking about that. we were talking about replacable smartphone batteries, which you dont need to replace "every day"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

screws can be a good aesthetic. bunch of countersunk spanner head screws all clocked the same direction? nice.

we spend way too much money on little design details lol. one of my first products as a product manager, we were basically asked to copy this thing in terms of features, size, and general design. but make it look "more premium"

so our industrial designers came up with this, which i guess does look more "premium"

but the problem is the original xiaomi one is literally just an extruded aluminum tube, they can just punch out the holes and cut off sections from the giant extrusion or whatever. build all the electrical parts separate and attach them to the plastic side cap and just slide everything into the metal housing. done. because of the curves and the overall shape of our fancy one, we had to extrude out the aluminum on each one individually, and we couldnt just use a punching process for all the holes, we had to chemically etch them into the surface. and we had to attach the PCBA into the metal housing first, in a tight space that was not nearly as easy to assemble. so our version ended up literally like 4x more expensive retail price and most of that was from ME cost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol jfc. (also imo the first on looks way nicer)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

lol jfc. (also imo the first on looks way nicer)

the first one retailed for $29.99. we spent $8.50 on mechanical BOM just on the 1 piece aluminum housing on ours. ended up retailing for $150 and nobody bought it

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

fart simpson posted:

we spend way too much money on little design details lol. one of my first products as a product manager, we were basically asked to copy this thing in terms of features, size, and general design. but make it look "more premium"

so our industrial designers came up with this, which i guess does look more "premium"

but the problem is the original xiaomi one is literally just an extruded aluminum tube, they can just punch out the holes and cut off sections from the giant extrusion or whatever. build all the electrical parts separate and attach them to the plastic side cap and just slide everything into the metal housing. done. because of the curves and the overall shape of our fancy one, we had to extrude out the aluminum on each one individually, and we couldnt just use a punching process for all the holes, we had to chemically etch them into the surface. and we had to attach the PCBA into the metal housing first, in a tight space that was not nearly as easy to assemble. so our version ended up literally like 4x more expensive retail price and most of that was from ME cost

i love this kind of thing, 'designed to be cheap' not 'cheaply designed' for the xiaomi product.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

i love this kind of thing, 'designed to be cheap' not 'cheaply designed' for the xiaomi product.

yeah its the difference between designing something to be manufactured, vs designing something to look nice (we'll figure out how to make it later)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

wait the holes were etched in the case after the circuit board was installed??

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

wait the holes were etched in the case after the circuit board was installed??

no, before. we actually were able to punch half the holes but we had to etch the other half. but this was all done before final assembly

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Isn't there any point in this where someone is like "hey maybe we should figure out an alternative way to make it look nice that isn't completely stupid"?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

Isn't there any point in this where someone is like "hey maybe we should figure out an alternative way to make it look nice that isn't completely stupid"?

yes. and then they get rejected by management, who are attached to the pretty renderings of the current design. and also we've spent so much time on this by now that changing the design would cause a significant project delay... and part of my bonus is making sure this launches on time

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

fart simpson posted:

yeah its the difference between designing something to be manufactured, vs designing something to look nice (we'll figure out how to make it later)

yeah i just looked at my xiaomi air purifier and it's just a big tube they could make in various lengths like a 737.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

yes. and then they get rejected by management, who are attached to the pretty renderings of the current design. and also we've spent so much time on this by now that changing the design would cause a significant project delay... and part of my bonus is making sure this launches on time

it’s (dis)heartening to know electronics manufacturing suffers so many of the same dysfunctions as software

maybe it’s… everything that sucks?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i dunno, the karman hardon logo is worth 4x easily

mystes
May 31, 2006

are the electronics in this one totally obsolete now too because it took so long? (i can't keep the products you're talking about straight)

I realize I'm probably not the target market, but if i'm buying a bluetooth audio device the first thing I tend to look at is the bluetooth version, not because the bluetooth version actually matters, but because it shows how recent the chipset is and the more recent chipsets tend to be way more reliable, so there's no way in hell i would buy a very expensive speaker with an older bluetooth version

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fart simpson posted:

I'd rather have the first one on my desk than the second one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

are the electronics in this one totally obsolete now too because it took so long? (i can't keep the products you're talking about straight)

I realize I'm probably not the target market, but if i'm buying a bluetooth audio device the first thing I tend to look at is the bluetooth version, not because the bluetooth version actually matters, but because it shows how recent the chipset is and the more recent chipsets tend to be way more reliable, so there's no way in hell i would buy a very expensive speaker with an older bluetooth version

well, this was 7 years ago so its obsolete by now. but no at the time that wasnt an issue

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

leper khan posted:

I'd rather have the first one on my desk than the second one.

that’s why you don’t get paid the big bucks. ever hear of Premium Feel? heh, didn’t think so.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh yeah, the other fun part is that acoustic volume is hugely important on small speakers like that and curved surfaces add to the silhouette and perceived size, without efficiently adding to usable internal acoustic volume. so our sound quality was slightly worse. lol!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

speaking of cheap design, i had to fix up the milk frother we got to mix up my boy's formula.

they designed it without any wires at all. there are contacts for the two aa batteries, then a spring is pressed down with the plastic button, bridging the two battery contacts. the battery contacts on the other end go directly to the motor using springs.

the little motor had regular solder terminals on it but they just slipped two tightly fitting springs over the terminals and pushed them up against the battery contact.

this all worked about as well as you'd expect. the battery contacts actually had a tab coming out so the angle of the spring that bridged the contact would change as you pressed the button, so it would just sometimes not go very fast at all. after flattening the tab and cleaning up the contacts everything actually worked.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well-read undead posted:

it’s (dis)heartening to know electronics manufacturing suffers so many of the same dysfunctions as software

maybe it’s… everything that sucks?

at least on stuff like this, we spend a year on it and then its "done" and everyone moves on to new projects. i havent worked in software but it seems like people are commonly working on the same product forever?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

at least on stuff like this, we spend a year on it and then its "done" and everyone moves on to new projects. i havent worked in software but it seems like people are commonly working on the same product forever?

that is often the case, but not always

so just imagine if your speaker were eternally in the design and production phases simultaneously, and people were constantly coming up with new bad ideas for it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know “great artists ship” is attributed to steve jobs but in my experience “employed designers ship” is more accurate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they did one about the garfield kennywood ride and one of the concept images from a full theme park was a thirsty boy garfield

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

they did one about the garfield kennywood ride and one of the concept images from a full theme park was a thirsty boy garfield

thanks for reminding me of that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

supposedly jim davis himself made that or something

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3Yr80lPOY

good stuff

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

fart simpson posted:

bluetooth speaker story

you guys should get bought by apple

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i find a tremendous beauty in complex things that have been exhaustively cost-reduced

the internals of those $4 multimeters you can get at harbor freight are a great example: barely anything more than a circuit board with an epoxy blob, a handful of passives, and an lcd, but it works, for a miniscule fraction of the cost of a good meter like a fluke

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BMan posted:

since that story happened we were bought by sarnsung

mystes
May 31, 2006

BMan posted:

It certainly sounds like something Steve Jobs would have done