Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Doltos posted:

I voted you bottom last place because I'm working a conspiracy against you and your team
:rolleyes: the ole "icing the mouse" spiel, thoroughly debunked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'll do it in parts!

Deadbeat Dad posted:

What team is your favorite built team and why?

Winner:

New York Knicks x4 (Comment: The Knicks are not really good but all Jalen in one place made me laugh.)
Houston Rockets x3 (Comment: Love the balls of building an all youth+size team. It probably won't be good, but it would be an impressive spectacle in person.)
Milwaukee Bucks x2 (Comment: Lockback turning The Bucks into the most toxic team possible was :discourse:)
Miami Heat x2 (Comment: Miami is incredibly well built, it's the best team right now. Good idea and execution.)
Chicago Bulls x2 (Comment: Bulls look fun. I love Bane. Giannis is the man.)
Sacramento Kings (Comment: Kings, got a group of young guys I love that I think would be fun to watch.)
Toronto Raptors (Comment: Toronto Raptors because I like the combo of Tatum, DeRozan and Murray on one team.)
Los Angeles Lakers (Comment: Because it has good-to-incredible value throughout (FVV $186, Giddey $33, Wiggins $142, Sabonis $253) AND somehow $100 left unspent which is wild.
Philadelphia 76ers (Comment: 76ers are world beaters. Offense, defense, size, playmaking. They have it all.)
Utah Jazz (Comment: Yuta Jazz.)
Minnesota Timberwolves (Comment: Two of the most fun scorers in the league who are also sick dunk guys, plus Slo Mo weirdness tossed in for good measure. Bonus points for potential BO99MAN drama.)
Oklahoma City Thunder x2 (Comment: Weird as hell, it's made up almost entirely of the "4th best guy"s of their respective teams. It'll either smash everybody's asses or absolutely flounder despite having such a high average level of skill. Weird is always the best option.)
Orlando Magic (Comment: Orlando Magic.)
Cleveland Cavaliers (Comment: Mobley might die trying to cover up all the defensive mistakes the Trae/Garland/Buddy/MPJ foursome make but they should score 200 ppg.)
Charlotte Hornets (Comment: I'll give this one to Charlotte. Only one other team, the Wemby Rockets, committed to building for the future, but that squad is full of intriguing question marks. Hornets did a nice job surrounding Scoot with talent that's more assured, that's also still on the young side (Trey, Vassell, WCJ, Duren)... Caruso is on a different timeline but I like him too.)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

There were lots of great teams, it was hard to choose just one.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Best hype Post?

Winner:

rivetz x13 (Comment: Rivetz because it actually improved how I felt about his team by a fair margin while reading it (sorry Rivetz I still think your team is bad.)
Giggs x4 (Comment: Has to be Yuta Jazz come on. Top effort. Runner up to Hornets nice effort.)
a new study bible! x2 (Comment: Cavs, because of the fantastic Fellowship of the Ball image.)
Doltos x2 (Comment: Jaylens.)
Punkin Spunkin x1
IcePhoenix x1 (Comment: (Liked that it was a persuasive argument and not just a list of guys, even if I wasn't convinced.)
kalensc x1

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

You're all on my poo poo list, fuckers

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'll do it in parts!

Winner:

New York Knicks x4 (Comment: The Knicks are not really good but all Jalen in one place made me laugh.)
Houston Rockets x3 (Comment: Love the balls of building an all youth+size team. It probably won't be good, but it would be an impressive spectacle in person.)
Milwaukee Bucks x2 (Comment: Lockback turning The Bucks into the most toxic team possible was :discourse:)
Miami Heat x2 (Comment: Miami is incredibly well built, it's the best team right now. Good idea and execution.)
Chicago Bulls x2 (Comment: Bulls look fun. I love Bane. Giannis is the man.)
Sacramento Kings (Comment: Kings, got a group of young guys I love that I think would be fun to watch.)
Toronto Raptors (Comment: Toronto Raptors because I like the combo of Tatum, DeRozan and Murray on one team.)
Los Angeles Lakers (Comment: Because it has good-to-incredible value throughout (FVV $186, Giddey $33, Wiggins $142, Sabonis $253) AND somehow $100 left unspent which is wild.
Philadelphia 76ers (Comment: 76ers are world beaters. Offense, defense, size, playmaking. They have it all.)
Utah Jazz (Comment: Yuta Jazz.)
Minnesota Timberwolves (Comment: Two of the most fun scorers in the league who are also sick dunk guys, plus Slo Mo weirdness tossed in for good measure. Bonus points for potential BO99MAN drama.)
Oklahoma City Thunder x2 (Comment: Weird as hell, it's made up almost entirely of the "4th best guy"s of their respective teams. It'll either smash everybody's asses or absolutely flounder despite having such a high average level of skill. Weird is always the best option.)
Orlando Magic (Comment: Orlando Magic.)
Cleveland Cavaliers (Comment: Mobley might die trying to cover up all the defensive mistakes the Trae/Garland/Buddy/MPJ foursome make but they should score 200 ppg.)
Charlotte Hornets (Comment: I'll give this one to Charlotte. Only one other team, the Wemby Rockets, committed to building for the future, but that squad is full of intriguing question marks. Hornets did a nice job surrounding Scoot with talent that's more assured, that's also still on the young side (Trey, Vassell, WCJ, Duren)... Caruso is on a different timeline but I like him too.)

It hurt my heart to not give Ant/LaVine TWolves this but I would 100% cheer for this kings team irl

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I appreciate the votes of confidence in the Fun categories thank you friends.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I voted for your hype post, I was just concerned by your PG depth (just TJ)

My teams only hope for respect is from the sim. Or from after the NBA season when it’s too late to vote or do anything but everyone is like wow LaMelo and Cade are the new best players in the NBA

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

You're all on my poo poo list, fuckers

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Favorite moment of BYOGM '23?

Winner:

• "Rivetz getting and trading Trae Young and then everyone being mean about it except for the person that benefited from the trade."
  • "The Embiid reveal."
  • "Embiid getting only one bid and almost going to waiver."
  • "Joel Embiid, ostensibly the league MVP, only having one bid."
  • "Chaos-World Bids from Day 1 onwards and The Trae Young Saga."
  • "Drunk Canuck winning half their roster in one evening with $1 bids."
  • "Joel Embiid second place bid 0."
  • "Embiid almost going to waivers as reigning MVP."
  • "The Trae Young bid and then trade."
  • "The Yuta Jazz reveal."
  • "Luke Kornet/Kennard mix-up."
  • "Embiid $0 runner up bid."
  • "Joel Embiid receiving one (1) bid!"
  • "Trae getting drafted for cheap then traded."
  • "Joel Embiid almost going unbidded, of course. But the whole bidding market was really entertaining."
  • "Embiid almost going for nothing and if this isn't unanimous I'll be floored."
  • "All the teams who focused too heavily on hoarding caproom all rolling the dice on getting screwed on Day 18."
  • "The Drunk Canuck $1 bidpocalypse on Day 9."
  • "Mavs day 9 performance."
  • "Joel embiid 2nd highest bid 0$."
  • "There were a bunch of fun and funny moments this year, but: Scooter overbidding an excess of nearly $750 for two players."
  • "Selfishly it was my Embiid bid where NOBODY ELSE loving BID FOR A MAX PLAYER."
  • "Drunk Canuck winning 7000 straight winners, but there were a LOT of good ones this year."
  • "The Trae saga."

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Top 3 offenses?

Winner:

Toronto Raptors x16
Phoenix Suns x12
Indiana Pacers x9
Philadelphia 76ers x7
Cleveland Cavaliers x6
Memphis Grizzlies x6
Golden State Warriors x3
Miami Heat x3
Chicago Bulls x2
New Orleans Pelicans
Boston Celtics
Orlando Magic
Oklahoma City Thunder
San Antonio Spurs
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Washington Wizards

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Top 3 defenses?

Winner:

Orlando Magic x9
Los Angeles Clippers x8
Denver Nuggets x6
Utah Jazz x5
Golden State Warriors x4
Chicago Bulls x4
Milwaukee Bucks x4
Miami Heat x3
New Orleans Pelicans x3
New York Knicks x3
Oklahoma City Thunder x3
Atlanta Hawks x2
Cleveland Cavaliers x2
Philadelphia 76ers x2
Detroit Pistons x2
Dallas Mavericks x2
Minnesota Timberwolves x2
Indiana Pacers
Brooklyn Nets
Charlotte Hornets
Memphis Grizzlies
San Antonio Spurs
Washington Wizards
Phoenix Suns
Sacramento Kings

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Who made the best team? (BYOGM Goon Winner)

Split Winners: //

Orlando Magic x13
Phoenix Suns x13

Toronto Raptors x12
Philadelphia 76ers x12
Miami Heat x10
Cleveland Cavaliers x10
Golden State Warriors x10
Indiana Pacers x8
Chicago Bulls x7
New Orleans Pelicans x4
Los Angeles Clippers x2
Memphis Grizzlies x2
Minnesota Timberwolves x2
Boston Celtics x2
Oklahoma City Thunder x2
Milwaukee Bucks x2
San Antonio Spurs x2
Los Angeles Lakers x2
Utah Jazz
Denver Nuggets

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I couldn't count it how I used to since some people just sent in one team, some weren't really in order from best to worse, so just did totals. Grats to both DeimosRising and Activia for having the most votes from the goons, but as we can see, this field is wide open this year!

Sim results will be posted tomorrow evening! Goodnight.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

that's partially on me for not reading the instructions clearly while trying to do too many things at once.

Congrats to the winners and everyone else who made fully sick and good teams. Refreshing the internet with you all is always great fun and DBD is the best for organizing and the championship trophy should be named after them.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

BWV posted:

Congrats to the winners and everyone else who made fully sick and good teams. Refreshing the internet with you all is always great fun and DBD is the best for organizing and the championship trophy should be named after them.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Thanks for running this. It’s such a welcome distraction and a really fun way to burn the off-season. Also, Toronto got robbed! Best team in the league imo.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

This was so fun, as always. Can't wait to see the results of the sim.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
This was somehow even better than last year, great stuff. Thanks again for taking the time to run it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pretty happy to still get some votes. Should've trusted my gut on the last day and gone for DeRozan or Giddey but them's the breaks

e: also hot drat I wasn't expecting to get votes for defense I guess my hype post really did work

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 17, 2023

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

A lot of haters out here about my group of winners

Shameful

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jaylen is short for Jay Leno

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

About an hour and 20 minutes left to get votes in for the BYOGM '23 Goon Voting!

Ahhhhhh loving poo poo gently caress I forgot

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Thanks for running DBD, you are a hero.

Yeah it was a very close year this time around no stand out teams, but equally not many bad teams.

I don't really get that Magic team finishing so high personally and the Raptors offense totally slaps but they would be a tire fire on defense. Was I the only voter who really liked the Pels?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I actually ranked everyone when I thought the user choice was gonna be for top 8 in every conference, I’m curious to see how they’ll stack up to the sim tomorrow (I judged based on how I thought they’d do irl so I’m sure it won’t line up exactly)

Western Comference (minus Grizz)

Clippers (Fox, Jarrett Allen, Scottie)
Warriors (KD, Paolo, Turner)
Suns (Kyrie, Beal, Brown)
Pelicans (PG13, Lauri, Brogdon)
Jazz (Hali, Maxey, Dray)
Kings (DMitch, Keegan, Dejounte)
Lakers (Sabonis, Wiggins, VanVleet)
Timberwolves (Ant, LaVine)

Thunder (KAT, Dort, Smart)
Trailblazers (Klay, Harden)
Nugs (Zion, Kessler, Jrue)
Dallas (AD, Siakam, Kuz)
Spurs (Luka,Bam, Derrick)
Houston (Wemby, Ja, Jabari)

Eastern Conference

76ers (Lebron, Brunson, Gordon, Vuc)
Raptors (Tatum, Jamal, DeRozan, Jonas)
Cavs (Mobley, Porter Jr, Garland, Trae)
Magic (Shai, Khris, Collins, Gobert)
Bucks (Butler, Bridges, Simmons, Dinwiddie)
Heat (Steph, Harris, JJJ)
Wizards (Horford, Simons, Randle, CP3)
Pacers (Embiid, Lillard)

Hawks (CJ, Mikal, Sengun)
Pistons (Cade, Lamelo, Brook Lopez)
Celtics (Joker, Grant)
Bulls (Giannis, Bane)
Nets (Book, Clax)
Hornets (Scoot, Caruso)
Knicks (Zingis, OG)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Whoa, getting any votes was an awesome surprise! Gives me hope the Thunder may just have a shot at matching their BYOGM v7 record.

Huge thanks to DBD and Giggs for putting in the effort to make this all come together. It's the most fun & frantic draft/vote/sim I've seen across all the various SAS/TFF/TRP/PSP threads I've participated in.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Yes, huge shoutout and thanks to Giggs as well - this would not be as organized or run as smoothly as it has the past two years without his record keeping + all the cool graphs as well!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah it was a very close year this time around no stand out teams, but equally not many bad teams.

I don't really get that Magic team finishing so high personally and the Raptors offense totally slaps but they would be a tire fire on defense. Was I the only voter who really liked the Pels?

drat, to think I put you at the top of my list. A hater born every minute smh

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

tanglewood1420 posted:

I liked the Pelicans, but they were just outside my top 5 best teams (like 6th or 7th). It was really hard making the cuts, i had like 10 contenders for everything, but in the end it turns out I voted with the majority a lot.

I voted Hornets for favorite team because there wasn't a "best team in 5 years" vote this year and I didn't know how else to give a vote to a team focusing on youth instead of being all-in now. Lots of rookies went completely without bids so it seems like there wasn't much emphasis on that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

tanglewood1420 posted:

Thanks. I had you in my five, as well. It seems at least three other people liked my team, as DBD didn't use ranked votes because not enough people sent them.

Personally, I spent a long time reading the rosters again and again, before I ultimately went with the Bulls as my pick. I also had Deimos at the top briefly, but kept either finding virtue elsewhere, or further flaws in the team. I still put them in my top five, but lower.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Yeah I had the Bulls way higher. I also the teams that didn’t put a roster together in time I ranked lower but maybe that was just being a hater.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I agree that I didn’t see the draw with the Magic. Shai is obviously great and an MVP candidate, but Middleton, Collins, and Gobert have pretty big question marks.

For me, it was between the Sixers and Raptors, and while I love Brunson, I think Vooch is soft and lame and I question their wings ability to score from distance. Toronto has great scoring on all levels, and Jonas is a tough guy who can get a million rebounds.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Surprised to see Golden State fall out of the top five, I think that's a great roster.

Happy to see a single vote for the Wizards in offence and defence, befitting their status as a low playoff team :cheers:

Thanks again for running this, super fun as always.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I also only had the Suns as my 5th overall. Putting Brown, Kyrie, and Ayton on the same team seems like you might get some interesting results. The Powell and Ayton pairing is a bit strange.

Im a fan of the Phoenix Hoteps.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was a Magic #1 voter. I just felt like it was really solid guys at all the spots and at both sides of the ball, and like the players would fit will together. Like, sure Gobert has question marks but we know he's an elite defender and rebounder. Khris is really really good and I don't hold a bad start coming off injury last season against him. He had returned to his old form for the last month of the seasons and produced in the playoffs again. Collins is the biggest question mark but he's a solid fit next to Gobert and we've seen what he can do before, and being the 5th out of the starting 5 that's a solid guy. Shai obviously is a stud and KCP is a proven 3&D winning player, so you've got some shooting with he and Khris, plus Rozier coming off the bench as a 6th man? That's really good I felt...

I did affirmatively have the Sixers in my top 5 but wasn't as sold on their defense; Vuc is no Gobert and LeBron doesn't really bring it on defense anymore. It's not a bad defense per se but most of the teams I ranked above them were better there imo. I had the Bulls Warriors and Heat up there. I did also have the Raptors and Suns #1 and #2 overall in offense, maybe it'd carry them idk, the Suns are pretty dire on D.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i definitely have to retract all criticism i made of the Trae trade because when i was weighing the Cavs i kept thinking in my head like "Ehh Trae is really bad at defense and even hurts offensive vibes" and bumping them down slightly lol

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
All right, starting the sim now - all rosters and lineups should be set.

Will reveal the 15th-11th place teams from each conference before announcing the playoffs!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

15th place in the Eastern Conference is... Paul Zuvella's 14-68 Philadelphia 76ers!

GM comment: "Uh... what the gently caress happened? :laffo:"

Reporter comment: "Paul Zuvella is apparently cursing out every player, the Commissioner, the coach.. it's not a good look inside of that locker room right now."

Insider comment: "Apparently Zuvella set + for almost every starter, negative for the 5 bench guys, and 0 for 5 others.. All the starters averaged 14-17 points, Brunson and LeBron both averaged over 22+ points... but these guys are exhausted. The bench gave them little to nothing with barely any minutes. This ain't 2K, and Zuvella forgot what worked for him last year and completely messed up the lineups.

15th place in the Western Conference is... G-Hawk's 13-69 Houston Rockets!

Insider comment: "This was a bit expected. It was Ja just babysitting a bunch of young guys. Wemby and the kids did decent, but too many teams were experienced and bullied them. Look out for them in a few years."

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I let out the loudest cackle

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

14th place in the Eastern Conference is... Salvor_Hardin's 31-51 Boston Celtics!

Insider comment: "The East is tough, man. One of these teams had to be bad. Their guys played decent, especially Jokic who averaged 25/11/7, but outside of Gary Trent Jr. and AJ Griffin, their bench was also their Achilles' heel.

14th place in the Western Conference is... Drunk Canuck's 23-59 Dallas Mavericks!

Insider comment: "I don't know. He didn't want to cut any of his $1 winners that made up half of his roster and his best 3 players all overlapped in the same positions. Some solid talent but it was all messed up because their GM is a drunkard!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’d like to change my answer for “best moment”