Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mr bad guy had gone too far, and he had best watch his mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dr_rat posted:

None will beat The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFhpctuUwb4

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Police Squad is so loving incredible but hands down my favourite joke in any of those style of comedies is "I loved you in Wall Street" from Hot Shots Part Deux and I can't really explain why :allears:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pilchenstein posted:

Police Squad is so loving incredible but hands down my favourite joke in any of those style of comedies is "I loved you in Wall Street" from Hot Shots Part Deux and I can't really explain why :allears:

That joke works on like 5 different levels

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's just perfect.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

My fave moment also :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

watching hot shots le premiere and i swear to god theres a paul masson champagne in the fridge lmao

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is Police Squad! not on YouTube anymore? The only hits for full episodes are...not. Just short little excerpts. I watched them with my kiddo a while ago, but he's older now and would get a lot more of the humor. :saddumb:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hirayuki posted:

Is Police Squad! not on YouTube anymore? The only hits for full episodes are...not. Just short little excerpts. I watched them with my kiddo a while ago, but he's older now and would get a lot more of the humor. :saddumb:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7v092w

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:cheersbird:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Well that's my evening sorted out, thank you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check out leslies blazer in ep 2

those blue stripes arent video moiré patterns, it really was colored like that, what an amazing thing to do

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/UUywien.mp4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

those blue stripes arent video moiré patterns, it really was colored like that, what an amazing thing to do
Holy poo poo. :allears:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Watching Zootopia. Nick's filled-out police application. Under the 'have you ever been arrested' segment he's ticked 'yes' and then scribbled it out and ticked 'no'.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Watching Zootopia. Nick's filled-out police application. Under the 'have you ever been arrested' segment he's ticked 'yes' and then scribbled it out and ticked 'no'.
Always love the attention to detail in comedies for those sort of props. Sometimes some of the best jokes in a movie you need to freeze frame for.

Although that can be bacause those jokes are so good, but it can be because the rest of the movies drek and the only people with a good sense of humour working on the movie are the ones making the props.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dr_rat posted:

Always love the attention to detail in comedies for those sort of props. Sometimes some of the best jokes in a movie you need to freeze frame for.

Although that can be bacause those jokes are so good, but it can be because the rest of the movies drek and the only people with a good sense of humour working on the movie are the ones making the props.

maybe, but also i think a joke gets better if you dont go ---> HEY THIS IS THE JOKE <---

it allows it to just fade away as a weird line if it doesnt hit the funny bone, instead of being a failed joke

like the old ZAZ films we were just talking about, they only pause to mug for the camera when its part of the joke

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arrested Development again. In season one 'Storming the Castle' Gob shakes Michael's hand as a cover to steal his watch. It only works because Michael is left-handed and wears his watch on his right wrist (as Bateman does in other shows too). This suggests to me that what Gob really has there is a trick for how to steal Michael's watch specifically and this idea gives me joy.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Arrested Development again. In season one 'Storming the Castle' Gob shakes Michael's hand as a cover to steal his watch. It only works because Michael is left-handed and wears his watch on his right wrist (as Bateman does in other shows too). This suggests to me that what Gob really has there is a trick for how to steal Michael's watch specifically and this idea gives me joy.

Gob thanks him "for your time" as he does it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Gob thanks him "for your time" as he does it.

What a delight this show is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HopperUK posted:

What a delight this show is.

I know season 4 is looked down upon, and most of that is sort of deserved, but I still love the entirety of the Fakeblock thing.

For anyone who doesn't know, George Michael is working on this computer project called Fakeblock that Michael thinks is some computer security program, and absolutely runs with that concept, not letting George Michael explain it, or not giving him the opportunity to.

It's eventually revealed that it was a very small project that played the sound of a woodblock, like a metronome, for playing along with. A fake block.

I'm probably forgetting details, but even as I remember it, it was funny, so it's probably actually better than this.

Edit: jfc I completely forgot how insane it got, as shown below (Maeby is also unaware of what Fakeblock actually is, even though she's George Michael's self-assigned business manager)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5794b0OnyuQ

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Aug 10, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Still on Arrested Development. Michael frequently enters scenes at the model home with the mail and will pass it out to people as they're all talking. I saw one scene where he attempted multiple times to give Gob a bill or something by tapping it against his hand and got completely ignored.

I feel like I need to watch every episode a dozen times to see everything that's happening. And this is good because I'm a colossal nerd and can't like anything a normal amount.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ripley owns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around the watching the musical Annette and I love how they use the fact that the title character is played by a puppet as a commentary on stage parents. Since poo poo like Jeanette McCurdy it's interesting how timely that kind of story is, and I liked the bit at the end where Annette shows up, but then gets replaced by a human actor because she's now her own person and no longer an object for her father to make money off of.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Not her actual daughter, but the cat she brought with her. Kinda hosed.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In Aliens Ripley is shown a picture of her daughter who is now a grown woman after Ripley's 57 years in hyper sleep. The woman in the photo is Weaver's mother.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neill as I'd never got around to it before. It's a fun movie. I particularly like the exchanges like "I am not fiction!" "I think, therefore you are." it gives the second line a cute double meaning. I also love the wry bits like "What about the people who don't read?" "There's going to be a movie." "A movie... of course..." And let's not forget the ending that became a meme, with Sam watching the entire story playing out as a movie exactly as he experienced it and just allowing himself to give in as he bursts into laughter at the futility of his struggle and just stays there, watching the movie on repeat.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

BioEnchanted posted:

And let's not forget the ending that became a meme, with Sam watching the entire story playing out as a movie exactly as he experienced it and just allowing himself to give in as he bursts into laughter at the futility of his struggle and just stays there, watching the movie on repeat.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

When we got our first German shepherd (she’s 4 now), I was the one allowed to name her and being a movie lover I said “I’m gonna name her after the most badass woman in the movies” so I named her Ripley because Alien is also one of my top flicks.

She’s a giant ball of anxiety and hides behind us when people come over while yelling at them to identify themselves. Self-defeating prophecy…

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Imperador do Brasil posted:

She’s a giant ball of anxiety and hides behind us when people come over while yelling at them to identify themselves. Self-defeating prophecy…

People you have over are obviously infected by aliens. She's right to not want them in and possibly let the infection spread and everyone die. :colbert:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

She’s a giant ball of anxiety and hides behind us when people come over while yelling at them to identify themselves.

Yes, yes, you already said she was a German Shepard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sounds like you got a terminator infestation. Lucky you caught it when you did

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Dog just wants everyone to wait in quarantine outside for 24 hours before they're allowed in. Nothing wrong with that.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Just don't take the dog to Costco

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

rydiafan posted:

Yes, yes, you already said she was a German Shepard.

Our other shepherd is the most relaxed, easy-going, “whatever” dog we’ve ever had. I guess we have both ends of the spectrum.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mine is currently fused to my leg because wind exists outside.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

rydiafan posted:

drat, that's some strong wind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

rydiafan posted:

You... uh... did you happen to get yours from an abandoned Antartic research post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dr_rat posted:

People you have over are obviously infected by aliens. She's right to not want them in and possibly let the infection spread and everyone die. :colbert:

Wasn't the dog in I Am Legend a shepherd? Maybe the guests are mutant vampires :ohdear: