Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

lol okay, I'm increasingly convinced that ISIS is a western proxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The great thing about Isis is nobody knows who is under those robes. Could be tribals, locals, maybe even little green men from a distant faraway land, who can say.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Maybe Daesh was a real thing, since they got big enough to perform that ceremony where they stepped on the Sykes-Picot line. But every ISIS copycat organization can't possibly exist without significant foreign backing, and if it's not in the Arabian sphere of influence then that means the United States. I'm sure they even believe in it themselves, but every ISIS copycat in the world only seems to exist to make things harder on states either directly opposed to the US or who are getting too independent for the rules based international order to tolerate.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

fund a bunch of extremists through a network of cutouts on the one hand, prop up state security on the other, sprinkle in some austerity and let nature take its course

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Poppers posted:

all the faggots I know

Turn your monitor on

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they tried to fight the chuds. alas
Hundreds gather for liturgy at Turkey's Sümela Monastery, sparking nationalist outrage

www.turkishminute.com posted:

Hundreds of Orthodox Christians gathered at the historic Sümela Monastery in Trabzon on Aug. 15 to observe the Divine Liturgy performed by the İstanbul-based Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, drawing the ire of pro-government and opposition figures alike.

Earlier on Monday, Turkey’s nationalist opposition İYİ (Good) Party urged authorities to cancel the Divine Liturgy, citing a violation of the 1923 Treaty of Lausanne.

However, no such cancelation took place and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, the spiritual leader of Eastern Orthodox Christians globally, presided over the service in honor of the Orthodox feast of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, attended by 350 people who came from Greece, Georgia and Russia.

Anastasios Bakasetas and Dimitrios Kourbelis, two players on the Greek national football team who play for the Trabzonspor football club, were also among the attendees.

“We commemorate our common value, Mother Mary, in whose name there is a chapter in the Holy Quran,” Patriarch Bartholomew said in a sermon to those present.

However, his calls for recognizing common values between Christians and Muslims did not resonate with some Turks, who viewed the ritual as a concession to the Greek government.

quote:

Trabzon- Sümelâ Manastırına âyin yapmak için gelen Yunanlı turistlerin tamamı Yunan İstihbaratının elâmanları olup, asıl maksatları âyin olmayıp, ‘’HAYALİ PONTUS DAVALARININ’’ propagandasını yaparak, Sümelâ üzerinden kirli davalarını dünya efkârına duyurmaktır. https://t.co/dmlTlNzVGj

— Metin KÜLÜNK (@mkulunk) August 14, 2023

Metin Külünk, a controversial figure and a close confidant of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, claimed that the attendees were working for “Greek intelligence,” and that the ritual was nothing more than “propaganda for the Pontic Greek cause.”

Following its conquest by the Ottomans in 1461, Trabzon, which was once predominantly Christian and Greek, experienced a gradual change in its demographics.

During the Turkish War of Independence, Christian Pontic Greek communities in the province rose up against the Turkish army led by Mustafa Kemal, the country’s founding father. Following a forced population exchange with Greece as stipulated in the Treaty of Lausanne, the Christian presence in the city ceased, although many Greek-speaking Muslims continued to reside there.
[quote]
Bugün 15 Ağustos.
Fatih, 1461 yılında bugün Trabzon'u fethetti.
Bugün Sümela Manastırı'nda Patrik Bartholomeus âyin yapacak!
Trabzon'un fethedildiği gün böyle bir yerde ayin yapmak neyin nesidir? Meydan okumak değilse nedir bu?
Böyle bir şey aslâ kabul edilemez! pic.twitter.com/No6gymcGrq

— yusuf kaplan (@yenisafakwriter) August 14, 2023
“Today is August 15. Fatih [Mehmet the Conqueror] conquered Trabzon today in 1461. Patriarch Bartholomeus will perform a ritual at the Sumela Monastery today! What is it like to hold a ritual in such a place on the day Trabzon was conquered? If that’s not a challenge, what is? Such a thing is totally unacceptable!” tweeted pro-government columnist Yusuf Kaplan.

Last year, authorities designated Aug. 15 as the day commemorating Trabzon’s conquest by the Ottomans. Prior to that, the celebrations were held on Oct. 26.

Lütfü Türkkan, a lawmaker from the İYİ Party, pointed to the Greek refusal of entry for the chairman of an association representing Turks in western Thrace and compared it to Turkey’s approval of the liturgy at Sümela.

“On the day that Turkey allowed to hold a service at Sümela Monastery, the president of the Western Thrace Association, Hasan Küçük, was turned away from the İpsala border gate in Greece, along with his family, without any justification. Is this what you understand by reciprocity in foreign policy?” Türkkan tweeted.

Turkish nationalists oppose the liturgy by invoking the “principle of reciprocity,” a legal principle that involves mirroring legal effects in situations where foreign countries also recognize those effects. Articles 37 to 44 of the Lausanne Treaty mandate that Turkey respect the rights of minorities and ensure their freedom of religion.

However, Article 45 states that Greece should grant the same rights to the Muslim minority within its borders. Citing this article, nationalists argue that since Greece does not permit an Islamic ritual in the Fethiye Mosque in Athens, Turkey should, in reciprocity, disallow such rituals in areas where Christian Greeks are not present in significant numbers.

Turks who advocate for the performance of the liturgy argue that human rights are inalienable and that international treaties should not impede them.

In Turkey Christians, as a minority group, experience various challenges and rights violations, according to the 2022 Report on International Religious Freedom released by the US Department of State. The 1923 Lausanne Treaty formally recognizes the rights of Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Christians, Jews and Greek Orthodox Christians. However, Christian denominations still find themselves grappling with limitations on their religious rights.

A significant point of contention has been the Greek Orthodox Halki Seminary’s prolonged closure. The seminary, affiliated with the Greek Orthodox Church, was shuttered in 1971 after the Turkish Parliament enacted legislation banning private institutions of higher education. Despite multiple international critiques and assurances from the Turkish government, the seminary remains closed, hampering the Greek Orthodox Church’s ability to train clergy domestically.

Earlier, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew had responded to the criticism of the violation of the Lausanne Treaty by reminding that their rights recognized in Lausanne were not being protected by the Turkish authorities.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/african_stream/status/1691443908138721280?s=20

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

https://twitter.com/sethharpesq/status/1691657408953696349?t=6ww7rbTctEXRE7SMeS6kXA&s=19

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

The longer convo this is from was good imo too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPssO8SKQwY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A good watch. Good thing we have a rich plump American think tank lady to tell those ignorant Africans what they're actually thinking.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
A year ago I read a short but well sourced article about how the U.S. was grooming the Nigerian military to be its proxy force in West Africa under Africom. At the time I didn't know how much was motivated reasoning but Nigeria's president's offer to lead the ECOWAS forces seems to bear it all out.
I thought it was published by Geopolitical Economy Report but I can't find it on their website. Any chance someone here knows what I'm talking about or has another similar article? I'd like to show something well sourced to a friend.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1691815555064304056

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol time to watch The Power of Nightmares again

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nice!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/markamesexiled/status/1692245461099286651?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nationalism rocks so hard
Far-right party crafts Turkish flag with supporters' blood in unique stunt

www.turkishminute.com posted:

In an unusual and controversial political gesture, Turkey’s far-right Victory Party (ZP) has attempted to make a national flag from the blood of its supporters.

The Turkish flag, with its striking red background and white star and crescent moon, has long been a symbol of national pride for Turks. This recent endeavor, however, introduces a literal and figurative twist to its iconic red hue.

Over the past two weeks, the ZP set up booths across Turkey, inviting supporters to prick their fingers and stain a piece of cloth with their blood. Dubbed “Our Flag Colored with Noble Blood,” the initiative aimed to produce a flag solely from the blood droplets of its supporters. However, they fell short of the blood needed to complete the flag.

quote:

All you need is a little prick to show love for your country. Fans of the racist Victory Party smear blood on a cloth in effort to create Turkish flag https://t.co/NqxLZNOz1B

— Andy Wilks (@AndyWilks61) August 16, 2023

The campaign quickly became a hot topic after being reported by the Turkish Serbestiyet news outlet, leading many to question the symbolism and safety of such a gesture.

The VP, characterized as far-right, ultranationalist and anti-refugee, defended the event by detailing rigorous safety precautions they claim were followed. These ranged from acquiring informed consent to ensuring on-site medical professionals.

The unfinished flag was eventually handed to the party’s chairman, Ümit Özdağ, during an event in Çanakkale. Notably, Özdağ also added his own droplet to the growing mosaic of blood stains.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man dies while decorating car with six thousand bloodflags

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1692936007249694989?s=20

quote:

The UN, in a statement, said peacekeepers stood in the way of work crews building a road to connect the village of Arsos — in the Turkish Cypriot north — with the mixed Greek Cypriot-Turkish Cypriot village of Pyla, located inside of the buffer zone. It is also near the area where Cyprus’s internationally recognized government sits, according to the Associated Press.

The group of Turkish Cypriot personnel in response reportedly punched and kicked the peacekeepers, and damaged vehicles belonging to them, according to the UN.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

united nazis gently caress off
https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1692631041326878906

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
i cant believe they broke international law

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Is there a reason why they'd block building a road?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Not So Fast posted:

there used to be some cspammers who knew whats up in Cyprus, not sure they still post

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NEOM update:

the official youtube has completely shifted to fluff videos instead of anything involving progress or even projected promises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yf7yCCtSpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDEHZxsE2TU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Not So Fast posted:

according to the rules-based international order, you probably need some kind of dialog with the UN and both sides to build stuff in and possibly around the buffer zone

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Not So Fast posted:

Red is Angloid Occupied Land. (Death to England)
Blue is UN occupied buffer zone.
Purple is the current only way to get to the southeast side of Cyprus from the north.
Green is the proposed road.

The road has been a part of negotiations for decades, I guess the Turks are going through with just trying to build it. Southern Cyprus isn't necessarily opposed to the road, but wants to keep it for negotiations and because the Demon Cracker Nations want to keep control of the highways.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i say swears online posted:

NEOM update:

the official youtube has completely shifted to fluff videos instead of anything involving progress or even projected promises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yf7yCCtSpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDEHZxsE2TU

lol is this your first time with arab megaprojects?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Red is Angloid Occupied Land. (Death to England)
Blue is UN occupied buffer zone.
Purple is the current only way to get to the southeast side of Cyprus from the north.
Green is the proposed road.

The road has been a part of negotiations for decades, I guess the Turks are going through with just trying to build it. Southern Cyprus isn't necessarily opposed to the road, but wants to keep it for negotiations and because the Demon Cracker Nations want to keep control of the highways.

why is the connection between the two british areas just along the road? compared to the un areas theres barely any buffer

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
different reasons for existing. The UN buffer is, in theory, to prevent conflict between Turk and Greek Cypriots, the British border is "that's OUR CLAY and we want a special road to get from one piece to the other".
e: More specifically the smaller landlocked enclave is where the US three letter agencies spy on everyone from. There's not even really a pretension at some higher ideal it's just kinda nakedly colonial.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Aug 19, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This was also why Britain kinda sorta stoked the flames of sectarian conflict on the island in the first place. It was too valuable strategically to give up even at the end of empire, and what do you know? Now the Brits have a reason to stay.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

This was also why Britain kinda sorta stoked the flames of sectarian conflict on the island in the first place. It was too valuable strategically to give up even at the end of empire, and what do you know? Now the Brits have a reason to stay.

Yesh but what do they station two planes at both their airfields on the island?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/LegoRacers2/status/1693156146306265464

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

different reasons for existing. The UN buffer is, in theory, to prevent conflict between Turk and Greek Cypriots, the British border is "that's OUR CLAY and we want a special road to get from one piece to the other".
e: More specifically the smaller landlocked enclave is where the US three letter agencies spy on everyone from. There's not even really a pretension at some higher ideal it's just kinda nakedly colonial.

I believe they're asking about the potential for cross border problems over the British road.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Lol

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

reading the Amhara nationalist manifesto and their planned borders

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol 🤣

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Weka posted:

I believe they're asking about the potential for cross border problems over the British road.

because the british road isn't a buffer zone, and the british don't want an international "peacekeeping presence" on their stupid spook highway, nor do they want a bunch of superfluous villages along it inside the border. Tidier to just put a fence and checkpoints up. the roads like 5 miles long, so you can have like a single security truck patrolling it

PawParole posted:

reading the Amhara nationalist manifesto and their planned borders

Surprised that almost all the energy is focused on loving over the Oromo. No bad blood between Amhara and the "southern peoples"?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Surprised that almost all the energy is focused on loving over the Oromo. No bad blood between Amhara and the "southern peoples"?

Why would anyone hate the SNNPR? They’re not politically powerful and are an ethnically diverse region, I think that oromos nationalists expelled around 800,000 Gedeo people from oromia’s guji zone back in 2018, which is funny since they have historically gotten along with the guji moiety.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I was reading some news about China no longer allowing Japanese fishing imports because of nuclear waste, and I learned that many countries dump theirs in Somalia. wtf

https://www.newarab.com/features/somalias-ecosystem-dumps-toxic-waste-poisons-life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://www.liberationnews.org/psl-denounces-military-raid-on-sudanese-communist-party-in-blue-nile-region/

Sudanese military raiding the Communist Party