Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarcusSA posted:

Pure decadence.

Deckadence. C'mon, man, it was right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

History Comes Inside! posted:

When you say they’re not scaling do you mean they’re literally running in a 640x480 box in the corner or is it centred and stretched to fit top and bottom with black bars either side? The latter is the best you’re gonna get out of the box.

Those games aren’t gonna run natively widescreen on anything without some kind of third party hack because they were never widescreen to begin with.

Some lovely phone pictures to illustrate. It's centered within the Deck screen. I'm not looking for it to go widescreen, just scale to the Deck's screen. As a point of comparison (not a good one I know) if you fire it up on Windows it scales vertically and has black bars on the sides without any further configuration.

I did load up one of the ddraw replacers (there's a fork of the XWA ddraw replacer that adds support for the other games here) but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

If I can fix this issue I think they will be really great to play on the Deck. I might try to load up Freespace 2 SCP and see how that runs too.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

hannibal posted:

Some lovely phone pictures to illustrate. It's centered within the Deck screen. I'm not looking for it to go widescreen, just scale to the Deck's screen. As a point of comparison (not a good one I know) if you fire it up on Windows it scales vertically and has black bars on the sides without any further configuration.

I did load up one of the ddraw replacers (there's a fork of the XWA ddraw replacer that adds support for the other games here) but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

If I can fix this issue I think they will be really great to play on the Deck. I might try to load up Freespace 2 SCP and see how that runs too.

You're running it DOSBox right? Just configure the video settings

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What scaling setting are you using in the qam?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cicero posted:

I have two decks, was thinking it'd be cool to do local wireless play with emulators with the wife. Is there a current standard for easy use of different emulators on the deck? And has anyone tried to do local wireless play like this?

I also have two decks, one for this guys wife

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I sleep with a big deck and my wife

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Now everyone has a Deck you need to tell women you have 2 just to stand out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd tell you what I'd do man. Two decks at the same time man.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I just stopped emulating on my PC entirely. When I want to play some old stuff I just pick up my deck and game. It's just so much easier.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So apparently the RetroAchievements.com API is down. But the folks on the EmuDeck Discord said you can still earn the achievements, it just won't pop up in game?

However, I'm getting an invalid user token error.

It's clearly related to the emulator, since I un-installed the RetroAchievements decky plugin, but I don't know how to fix it :saddowns:

Where is the login info stored?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If you like personal computers,
and emulating atari games

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Annath posted:

So apparently the RetroAchievements.com API is down. But the folks on the EmuDeck Discord said you can still earn the achievements, it just won't pop up in game?

However, I'm getting an invalid user token error.

It's clearly related to the emulator, since I un-installed the RetroAchievements decky plugin, but I don't know how to fix it :saddowns:

Where is the login info stored?

im not sure this is true i thought it was basically all handled through the api

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Super No Vacancy posted:

im not sure this is true i thought it was basically all handled through the api

Well this is straight from the Emuchievements thread on the DeckyLoader discord:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
That's a neat looking design, I'll give them that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wait, somebody finally managed to design one of these "Steam Deck competitors" and actually include a trackpad?! Wonders never cease!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was another handheld gaming PC with detachable joycon-like controllers, but they didn’t work when detached so what was even the point?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

homeless snail posted:

What scaling setting are you using in the qam?

Ah, this was it. I had it on integer (for some reason? emulators?). Every other setting fills the screen just fine.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hannibal posted:

Ah, this was it. I had it on integer (for some reason? emulators?). Every other setting fills the screen just fine.

integer means it scales each pixel by 1x, 2x, 3x etc. so everything is always pixel perfect. sometimes you get annoying situations like this where the 1x resolution is very tiny but the 2x resolution is too big to fit so it has to go with 1x

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Michaellaneous posted:

I just stopped emulating on my PC entirely. When I want to play some old stuff I just pick up my deck and game. It's just so much easier.

Same here, but also PC gaming for the most part.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BoldFace posted:

Looks cheap and nasty

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
ya that's some cheap ipega-grade mobile looking poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wtf, why is my "other" section in storage on my SSD 59GB?! :psyduck:

To be clear, I have maybe 20 roms installed, all NES/SNES. I've uninstalled (and emptied the trash of) Timesplitters 2, 3, Burnout 3, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I had previously had downloaded. All told, THAT was less than 15gb.

The 59GB was after that stuff was removed. What could possibly be taking up that space? The only thing I could think of would be custom artwork for titles, thanks to a plugin.

Maybe startup movies? I'll delete a bunch of those tonight but I really only have maybe 6-7 of them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008980/XENOTILT_HOSTILE_PINBALL_ACTION/ this just appeared and now i realize i need something like the flip grip for the steam deck

someone please tell me there is something like the flip grip for the steam deck. i have so many pinball games and now i want to play all of them on the deck

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wtf, why is my "other" section in storage on my SSD 59GB?! :psyduck:

To be clear, I have maybe 20 roms installed, all NES/SNES. I've uninstalled (and emptied the trash of) Timesplitters 2, 3, Burnout 3, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I had previously had downloaded. All told, THAT was less than 15gb.

The 59GB was after that stuff was removed. What could possibly be taking up that space? The only thing I could think of would be custom artwork for titles, thanks to a plugin.

Maybe startup movies? I'll delete a bunch of those tonight but I really only have maybe 6-7 of them.
i know proton versions take up 1GB+ each and there's also stuff like shader caches, but yea i ran into a similar thing where the 'other' part is taking up a huge chunk of my internal storage. not sure how to clean 'em up or if it's possible

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BoldFace posted:

Why would you place that M3 button there, that seems awful and uncomfortable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008980/XENOTILT_HOSTILE_PINBALL_ACTION/ this just appeared and now i realize i need something like the flip grip for the steam deck

someone please tell me there is something like the flip grip for the steam deck. i have so many pinball games and now i want to play all of them on the deck

i know proton versions take up 1GB+ each and there's also stuff like shader caches, but yea i ran into a similar thing where the 'other' part is taking up a huge chunk of my internal storage. not sure how to clean 'em up or if it's possible

I checked my shader cache with the Deck Cleaner utility, and it's currently around 8gb.

So Steam OS is around 10gb (is that classified in Other?), shader cache is 8-ish gigs, let's just round all of that up to 20gb.

What the hell is taking up the rest of that space? Save games? I mainly play BG3, GTA Online, and then smaller games, though I did just reinstall Doom Eternal (which is what brought all of this up, me trying to find space to download it to).

Better question; what is the best way to check this space? Is there a way, in desktop mode, I can literally just see what my largest folder is? Not necessarily interested in the largest files, because it could be a huge collection of somewhat large files altogether rather than a few that are 5gb+.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I checked my shader cache with the Deck Cleaner utility, and it's currently around 8gb.

So Steam OS is around 10gb (is that classified in Other?), shader cache is 8-ish gigs, let's just round all of that up to 20gb.

What the hell is taking up the rest of that space? Save games? I mainly play BG3, GTA Online, and then smaller games, though I did just reinstall Doom Eternal (which is what brought all of this up, me trying to find space to download it to).

Better question; what is the best way to check this space? Is there a way, in desktop mode, I can literally just see what my largest folder is? Not necessarily interested in the largest files, because it could be a huge collection of somewhat large files altogether rather than a few that are 5gb+.

BG3 saves can apparently balloon up to 1+ gigs each, and it keeps like 10 manual and 10 quicksaves by default.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Annath posted:

BG3 saves can apparently balloon up to 1+ gigs each, and it keeps like 10 manual and 10 quicksaves by default.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

Are legit Steam game saves classified under 'other', though? Or are they added into the 'Games' section?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The true Vampire Survivors killer has arrived, Holocure is on Steam and works perfectly on the Deck.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BoldFace posted:

The controllers don't look as good as the deck's, but I appreciate they're detachable. Not just for utility but it means that if you gotta send it in for repair you can just send the controller part in and still get to use the system itself.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Is there a preferred site for the best settings for games on the deck? I used this for Doom Eternal https://steamdeckhq.com/game-reviews/doom-eternal/

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tesh posted:

Is there a preferred site for the best settings for games on the deck? I used this for Doom Eternal https://steamdeckhq.com/game-reviews/doom-eternal/

ProtonDB has community sourced compatibility ratings, and users usually comment on what settings worked best for them.

Not sure if there's a more organized settings database however.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Can someone link a guide on how to get into romhacks for pokemon?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

kneelbeforezog posted:

https://gaminggorilla.com/best-pokemon-rom-hacks/

Mostly romhacks provide a patch file - commonly ".ips". You will be required to provide your own legally dumped ROM file 😉

Use a program like LIPS to apply that patch, and go wild.

Some hacks won't work with certain emulators, or use a different patching method, but the README should instruct you.

For my recommendation, I like Pokémon Prism and Pokémon Sacred Gold.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, somebody finally managed to design one of these "Steam Deck competitors" and actually include a trackpad?! Wonders never cease!

The new* Ayaneo has 2! It costs over $2000! It also has a loving 8.4" screen as we get closer to these becoming just laptops with a controller bolted on. It also has down firing speakers which at this point is an immediate failing grade and a horrible looking circular d-pad.

*new relative to posting time, I think they've announced 2 more models in the last few days.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 17, 2023

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How well does KOTOR 1 run on the deck? If I understand correctly, the pc version doesn’t have controller support?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kneelbeforezog posted:

if you google CD Romance, you will find what you need. Then just load your roms in Emudeck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Or just patch them yourself from RHDN it’s mega easy

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How well does KOTOR 1 run on the deck? If I understand correctly, the pc version doesn’t have controller support?

It doesn't, no, but there are great Steam Input profiles. It runs fine, I even modded mine up on the PC then transferred the files over (same approach I did for Oblivion, works fine). I haven't played past the intro though.

edit: I thought I posted about it, turns out yes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&userid=25321#post532297958

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hmm. Two Steam Decks, you say?

Would my wife and I both be able to play games from my account at the same time? Would there be specific restrictions (like not the same game at the same time but different games at the same time?)

My computer became awfully contended the first time Cyberpunk came out, and she hasn't really seen BG3 yet.

njsykora posted:

The true Vampire Survivors killer has arrived, Holocure is on Steam and works perfectly on the Deck.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

Haha, why not? Don't know who these people are but free's free.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

From the same account? I think it would require one of them to play in offline mode, and then be careful you don’t accidentally overwrite the saves with cloud sync