Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My general rule of thumb is when a company is in meltdown mode because of credible "everyone in power at this company loving sucks and is toxic" allegations, I stop saying things like "Poor [other person in power]." Not for any moral or ethical reason, but because I don't want to be quoted and dunked on in 20 minutes when the next thing drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My general rule of thumb is when a company is in meltdown mode because of credible "everyone in power at this company loving sucks and is toxic" allegations, I stop saying things like "Poor [other person in power]." Not for any moral or ethical reason, but because I don't want to be quoted and dunked on in 20 minutes when the next thing drops.

Incredibly wise move brought on from past experiences eh? :v:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Luke's always come across as an affable, calm person. It doesn't seem like he has that much to do with day-to-day stuff at LMG, as he heads up FloatPlane, which is seemingly in a different building.

It's understandable to feel sorry for the guy, who has seemingly been married to Linus for a decade of bad/weird decisions.

That said, Luke is in no way the victim here.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Luke isn't a victim, I just think the video is hilarious.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Incredibly wise move brought on from past experiences eh? :v:

How could Putin betray me like that?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

How could Putin betray me like that?

It happens to the best of us comrade. :smith:

BEMEFE
Jun 30, 2006

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

well why not posted:

Luke's always come across as an affable, calm person. It doesn't seem like he has that much to do with day-to-day stuff at LMG, as he heads up FloatPlane, which is seemingly in a different building.

It's understandable to feel sorry for the guy, who has seemingly been married to Linus for a decade of bad/weird decisions.

Luke enables a very toxic over work environment at floatplane, and has said I want people that put in 16+ hours and wake up in the middle of night to fix stuff without me asking.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

News to me, but I don't watch WAN show so I suppose I don't have all the info.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

well why not posted:

News to me, but I don't watch WAN show so I suppose I don't have all the info.

It was said off handily by luke in one of the my youtube channel got hacked videos, and being a person that comes from an abusive workplace it sent up some red flags.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

wargames posted:

Luke enables a very toxic over work environment at floatplane, and has said I want people that put in 16+ hours and wake up in the middle of night to fix stuff without me asking.

Well he's going to have fewer people to treat like crap soon because Floatplane is still losing subscribers. 5000+ and counting. If we take the most generous numbers available, that's at least 25k/month of revenue gone in two days.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Years ago they did one of those 'interview the staff' videos, and Linus never turning off and constantly getting unpaid overtime were noted problems even then.

You don't get put in a position of power in that kind of environment unless you're 100% on board.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

well why not posted:

For a while, he didn't have much to do with LMG, but they have folded him back in, and he's actually head of a few departments of LMG now (he mentioned he's Dan's immediate boss, the audio guy).

He's been an enabler of Linus for a long time. He tries, feebly, to stop him from doing anything very serious, but has basically admitted he has no authority to. He either keeps it to himself, or laughs it off with Linus.

An example, the "No Union at LMG" stance that Linus has, he is in full lockstep with. I think he even agreed with Linus over not re-testing of that Billet Labs waterblock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Catpain Slack posted:

People telling you to gently caress off because you post like a dipshit is not "mob mentality"

I took a long time to learn that lesson, thanks YOSPOS for wisdom.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I remember Luke saying on WAN show that he expects new hires to put in hours of unpaid overtime to 'get ahead'.

yeah nah

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I took a long time to learn that lesson, thanks YOSPOS for wisdom.

yospos, bithc

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
But I do agree that Luke definitely comes across as the most likeable of the LMG crew.

Maybe he's just been paired with Linus for too long and has normalised his idiocy and toxic behaviour.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amid all of this, GamersNexus surpassed 2 million subs. A really big milestone achieved through some difficult circumstances. That's gotta feel weird.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

He should celebrate by posting part 2 of his sound chamber

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Linus def on that trump sudafed kick

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Amid all of this, GamersNexus surpassed 2 million subs. A really big milestone achieved through some difficult circumstances. That's gotta feel weird.

Get that bag Steve

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

doomisland posted:

He should celebrate by posting part 2 of his sound chamber

And locking Linus in it, yes

Is it also a Faraday cage? Can that be done?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Craft Computing is doing his live show right now with Lawnrence Systems, and seems to be downplaying everything except Madison. He started with "GN's video doesn't need to exist" but then later said something to the effect "I'm glad he made it" but at the same time said that most of the criticisms were nitpicks (the errors), said them not sending the waterblock back "Is totally understandable and not a big deal," seems to have missed the "it would've cost $$$ to test it properly" angle altogether.

Also responded to a viewer response as "What does that matter to you?"

So, I'm putting him on Team Linus.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lol, Linus went to bible camp. Really, it fits.

In an alternate universe, Linus followed that path and is a youth pastor but treats the kids just like our Linus treats his employees.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Triikan posted:

Craft Computing is doing his live show right now with Lawnrence Systems, and seems to be downplaying everything except Madison. He started with "GN's video doesn't need to exist" but then later said something to the effect "I'm glad he made it" but at the same time said that most of the criticisms were nitpicks (the errors), said them not sending the waterblock back "Is totally understandable and not a big deal," seems to have missed the "it would've cost $$$ to test it properly" angle altogether.

lol what the gently caress? Didn't GN state that Billet was at a standstill because they didn't get that prototype back? Yep, not a big deal to just sabotage a startup without even loving telling them.

Also lol at the defense of cost

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

no one should watch craft computing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

no one should watch craft computing

yep

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I was wondering why Tech Shrek wasn't showing up on video thumbnails for awhile. Happy for Emily, but LMG cannot be a healthy environment at all, hopefully she gets out.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i thought craft computing telling people to put their steam library in their NAS through iscsi was one of the funniest jokes ever, but then i realized he wasn't joking

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

And locking Linus in it, yes

Is it also a Faraday cage? Can that be done?
It's only acoustic, no RF, but even if it did shield RF, it has a normal floor so Linus could still get cell reception, albeit poorly.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Nowher posted:

I remember Luke saying on WAN show that he expects new hires to put in hours of unpaid overtime to 'get ahead'.

yeah nah

Luke is very progressive socially (i remember him getting mad at the "straight man" used in comedy rhetoric term in the last WAN show, he calls his S/O partner, etc) but he definitely has some CHUD tendencies (firearms, labor practices), which I cant blame since everything worked out for him (except for not owning even a percentage of the company despite providing loads of value as one of the presenters during the early days)

Kind of a proto typical lib

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think the term straight man has anything to do with being straight

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

I don't think the term straight man has anything to do with being straight

Yeah it was pointed out to him. I was just making a point of how much of a neo lib he was

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/DubMFG/status/1692018343476441144

Ex LTT employee collaborating that the info Madison was posting was in line with what he heard when he worked there.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Rabid Snake posted:

Luke is very progressive socially (i remember him getting mad at the "straight man" used in comedy rhetoric term in the last WAN show, he calls his S/O partner, etc) but he definitely has some CHUD tendencies (firearms, labor practices), which I cant blame since everything worked out for him (except for not owning even a percentage of the company despite providing loads of value as one of the presenters during the early days)

Kind of a proto typical lib

Yeah that’s the funniest thing about Linus’ and Luke’s relationship.

Luke was practically a founding member of LMG, slumming it with Linus during the very start, and yet he’s just an employee without stake in the company.

It’s so emblematic of loyal company workers in small businesses. They bring an absurd amount of value but because the boss gives them a little fiefdom within the company, the boss can get away with a lot of bullshit like unpaid labour.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i thought craft computing telling people to put their steam library in their NAS through iscsi was one of the funniest jokes ever, but then i realized he wasn't joking

Automatic Steam library backups to a NAS is a feature people have been wanting for a LONG time. I think it mostly exists now with "Steam Local Network Game Transfers" but I haven't tried it.

LTT even did a video of another solution I think involving a DNS server.

Rabid Snake posted:

(except for not owning even a percentage of the company despite providing loads of value as one of the presenters during the early days)

Blows my mind that Luke didn't finagle out a minority stake. I 100% believe this company wouldn't exist without him.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 17, 2023

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Triikan posted:

Linus deserves all of this because it all started when a LTT video said, “unlike gamers nexus, we retest every time.”

Which was a dick line to put in a video and a loving lie.

Steve put them under a microscope because of that and he only used recent poo poo.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

spunkshui posted:

Linus deserves all of this because it all started when a LTT video said, “unlike gamers nexus, we retest every time.”

Which was a dick line to put in a video and a loving lie.

Steve put them under a microscope because of that and he only used recent poo poo.

Not really, Steve has been critical of them before and this is something that's clearly been brewing for a while - that comment was also ignored by Steve when he heard it, the precusor to this seemed to be when Linus went on his wan show and started whining about how unfairly he was treated due to the backpack situation, yet again.

Like it didn't help, but Steve didn't hear that comment and go scorched earth - that's the argument LTT defenders are making that this was all out of feeling slighted, when it's more than they've been sucking rear end for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It really started with the backpack saga. GN published a video tearing into LTT for not having a warranty for their backpack, and Linus seemed to resent him for it ever since. The GN video from a few days ago started with a clip from Linus being a passive aggressive baby about GN which was pretty funny,.

e;f:b