Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

WaltherFeng posted:

Serious question though does the game have tank armour similar to Judges from FFXII?

I always thought those looked really sick and the bad guys from 2.0 had a similar style.
Yes, they're the second stage armor from the level 80 adventuring foray Bozja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdBEXimtPU4

Getting them dyable will be a loving nightmare, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

There's definitely a vocal subset of weird Garlean supremacist RPers who do stuff like modding in SS armbands and talk about gassing the catgirls but I assume that they're not the majority of Garlean RPers who just want to be Garlean soldier #1423434 for a lark, and even they're a general minority in the RP sphere.

None of that is what TLD posted about wanting or doing or ever implied in their posts so it's pretty hosed up and deranged to call him specifically a nazi

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Five pages of top tier content

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sunday Morning posted:

Five pages of top tier content
I heard the thread gets much better later on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

GilliamYaeger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdBEXimtPU4

Getting them dyable will be a loving nightmare, probably.

Great thanks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mekchu posted:

None of that is what TLD posted about wanting or doing or ever implied in their posts so it's pretty hosed up and deranged to call him specifically a nazi

Yeah I'm not calling him one, I'm saying why people tend to associate any sort of Garlean roleplay with that weirdo crowd. Ain't saying that that's what he's doing or endorsing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Today I learned that you can get more than one collectible out of a node by saving some integrity.

I've been playing (with a few huge gaps admittedly) since the 2.x patches :negative:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Serious question though does the game have tank armour similar to Judges from FFXII?

I always thought those looked really sick and the bad guys from 2.0 had a similar style.

GilliamYaeger posted:

there's also the elemental set from eureka (the stb adventuring foray) that might scratch the same itch

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Serperoth posted:

Today I learned that you can get more than one collectible out of a node by saving some integrity.

I've been playing (with a few huge gaps admittedly) since the 2.x patches :negative:

There's also a skill that can return you 1 integrity and can proc a free 2nd integrity

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I liked hanging out with the Doman kids :smith:. It’s a humble little “celebrity takes time with the refugees” thing.

But it has been nearly a decade since I played those things myself, and this was the era of patch design that said “we need to “””engage””” the player for x minutes” so the running around was pretty dire.

You’re uh… you’re gonna keep getting errands like this for the rest of the game. Because “let’s understand the locals by doing their chores” is a continuing theme.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the chores are slightly more tolerable if you made your character an abomination

the children are hiding, send this enormous drow looking freak with glowing eyes and bloodied horns sticking out his face to find them. they'll be delighted

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
also echoing not to call people 4chan nazis because they think the villain side has cool designs or don't like lalafells or whatever

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serperoth posted:

If it makes you feel any better it took me till 3.1to pick up the challenge log because my old computer would die in Limsa from overcrowding.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I think I've just gained access to airship travel (or at least I'm being given a pass for it, haven't visited the area yet) and it felt like the 'main' questline was pretty short, is that what it's like for all major utility access/plot advancement stuff across the game? I started off doing every single other quest I could see so I was like level 15 before I actually decided to focus on them, when they were around level nine or so. Should I be prioritising the 'main' questline more or should I keep picking up random quests I see around? Like can following the main line take you all the way to cap or are sidequests necessary?

Having fun as a marauder lalafell although I am wondering when/if I get access to character re-customisation like the barbershop in wow - I'm not looking for much, just a new hairdo.

I said this in the main thread but I'm playing mostly blind, so sorry if my questions are really obvious.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Pyrotoad posted:

I think I've just gained access to airship travel (or at least I'm being given a pass for it, haven't visited the area yet) and it felt like the 'main' questline was pretty short, is that what it's like for all major utility access/plot advancement stuff across the game? I started off doing every single other quest I could see so I was like level 15 before I actually decided to focus on them, when they were around level nine or so. Should I be prioritising the 'main' questline more or should I keep picking up random quests I see around? Like can following the main line take you all the way to cap or are sidequests necessary?

Having fun as a marauder lalafell although I am wondering when/if I get access to character re-customisation like the barbershop in wow - I'm not looking for much, just a new hairdo.

I said this in the main thread but I'm playing mostly blind, so sorry if my questions are really obvious.

You'll level cap just doing msq, but do side quests if they interest you.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The barber is also unlocked by a sidequest (in Limsa Lominsa I think?), look out for a big blue + quest there, it'll be one of those.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If anything, I'd recommend doing another couple of classes (preferably in different categories but no big if that's not your speed) for both their stories and for something to do once you clear ARR's Main MSQ and are going through Seventh Astral Era (ARR's postgame patches) such that you're not touching HW's lv cap as your main class / job.

Also also use the hunting logs. They give out ridiculous amounts of XP, will encourage you to fill out the maps (which give out xp too) and will take you to the point where you can do dungeons for better XP.

It's also a little ways out but do Coils unsynced via party finder as soon as Seventh Astral Era starts. It gives a lot more context for certain characters.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 17, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ibblebibble posted:

The barber is also unlocked by a sidequest (in Limsa Lominsa I think?), look out for a big blue + quest there, it'll be one of those.

In general you should be at the very least looking at all of the blue + quests, as those unlock new features. That being said most of the ones in ARR are either new classes or levequest unlocks so they're not super exciting, but sometimes you get cool ones like unlocking the glamour system or the aforementioned haircuts one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol at how mad tld is making people with the milquetoast complaints ive seen literally the same posters make, because hes doing it in a slightly more aggro way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

also specifically its a quest called 'beauty is skin deep' in the limsa upper decks - S'dhodjbi at Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (X:11.1 Y:11.0)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

lol at how mad tld is making people with the milquetoast complaints ive seen literally the same posters make, because hes doing it in a slightly more aggro way

Posters are asked to turn tank stance off before entering thread.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Spend tens of hours snoring along to the ARR Scions and the three nations of benign until corrupt, benign until elementals dumb and pirates rule. Fight a bunch of swaggering hams who got all the costume design budget Minfilla didn't and have cool techno-industrial doomsday plants and they fight by sending giant robots and slashing laser Xs at me. Cap off with the most memetic speech in the game, which was preceded by the other most memetic speech in ARR delivered by the avatar of "he did war crimes but I think he's cute."

Why would anyone like the Empire? :confused: poo poo, I think every GNB player would lose it like the soccer bar gif if Terminus Est/Laser X Slash was announced as their lvl 100 move.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think arr is that bad but the empire stuff's definitely the highlight of it, yeah, theyre the only characters who dont look like they're wearing level 20 greens and also they have all the best VAs before the cast switch in heavensward.

and gunbreaker is the tank i play and i definitely want the laser x slash.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

and gunbreaker is the tank i play and i definitely want the laser x slash.

extremely same it looks cool as hell

also the empire sucks and deserve to be murderized

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Endorph posted:

:hmmyes:

Woke up to a bunch of reports about this but the only one that's worth pushing buttons over is the poster who called TLD a nazi for not liking Lalafell...?

One of the unfortunate things about MMOs in my experience is that the oldest, worst content is usually what new players experience. It's almost a running joke in old games like EVE how many times they've had to revamp the new player experience to not make people actively hate starting the game. FF isn't as bad but I did lose all interest in continuing to play through the EIGHTY "Seventh Astral Era Quests" despite people assuring me that the game actually gets good at 60 or whatever.

It's ok to criticize this game, and it's not a critique of you if you love it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Woke up to a bunch of reports about this but the only one that's worth pushing buttons over is the poster who called TLD a nazi for not liking Lalafell...?

i still cannot figure out the reasoning for calling TLD a nazi, people need to chill out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaysette posted:

One of the unfortunate things about MMOs in my experience is that the oldest, worst content is usually what new players experience. It's almost a running joke in old games like EVE how many times they've had to revamp the new player experience to not make people actively hate starting the game. FF isn't as bad but I did lose all interest in continuing to play through the EIGHTY "Seventh Astral Era Quests" despite people assuring me that the game actually gets good at 60 or whatever.
if it helps the last 15 or so are actually interesting

but yeah the post arr stuff is easily the worst part of the game because a lot of it was mostly just the devs wheelspinning as they tried to figure out how to actually run the game as a live service. it goes somewhere but 30 hours of 'heres some more primals i guess' isnt thrilling

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I played through the entire MSQ from 2.0 to 6.4 in the last year or so and the ARR patch content is easily the overall low-point. I have a high tolerance for slow RPGs so long as the world is interesting and the plot is good enough and ARR met those bars, but the patch content is almost what got me to stop playing. If it's any consolation to people stuck in that bit of the story, it's that the story will pick up by the end of the patches and in particular The Parting Glass is a hugely interesting quest that sets the stage for Heavensward really, realy well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Relyssa posted:

i still cannot figure out the reasoning for calling TLD a nazi, people need to chill out

Perhaps like me they're tired of "ironic"racism even against fantasy people and think calls for the extermination of a people to be beyond the pale.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

(Also no joke The Parting Glass has the longest cutscene in the game, about 45-60 minutes, pop yourself some popcorn and turn on autoplay for the cutscene, it'll make it a lot more fun)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Woke up to a bunch of reports about this

goons be normal for five seconds challenge (impossible)

funnily enough i remember being pretty content thru the arr patch quests (long before they were trimmed down, even) but heavensward's abysmal maps combined with the still heavily prevalent "run all over the drat place" quests eventually did me in even tho i was much more interested in the story

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I saw some hubbub about TLD and wtf are people getting so aggro at him for posting that the ARR and post ARR quests are a loving slog because they were and still are a loving slog. The real hosed up part is that they used to be worse.

ARR's story has it's high points. Coils, the CT story, and Hildibrand are all top notch. I think the beast tribe captstone is pretty good, as well. A lot of the rest of it is really bad, and TLD is right that it's silly that the WoL is handing out uniforms to scrubs. There is so much filler in ARR and post ARR because they were still scrambling to recover from how lovely 1.0 was and save the game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Perhaps like me they're tired of "ironic"racism even against fantasy people and think calls for the extermination of a people to be beyond the pale.

The Ul'dah monetarist lalafells are absolute scum and you're meant to hate them. Dunno what his beef with Nanamo is, but so far I can understand the reaction to meeting some characters the game explicitly sets up as villains and wanting them gone. I don't read it as wanting the entire race exterminated, just the ones he's met so far. I don't even think it's "ironic racism", just a reaction to villainy.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

Oh right, so instead of calling me a racist or a Nazi, I’m simply an “Ironic” one. Got it, you loving freak. Lmfao. What the gently caress is wrong with some of you? Lalafell look like kids and I hate them, yes, it would be awesome if they weren’t a thing (to me) or replaced with like… I dunno, gnomes or dwarves and be less child coded, especially because of their awful voice actors. Now just let me find the SS armband mod that I recently discovered thanks to this thread and join the empire who, much like everyone who ever cosplayed as a stormtrooper, are absolute fash nazi chuds for wanting to play as an evil character. :D

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

That Little Demon posted:

Oh right, so instead of calling me a racist or a Nazi, I’m simply an “Ironic” one. Got it, you loving freak. Lmfao. What the gently caress is wrong with some of you? Lalafell look like kids and I hate them, yes, it would be awesome if they weren’t a thing (to me) or replaced with like… I dunno, gnomes or dwarves and be less child coded, especially because of their awful voice actors. Now just let me find the SS armband mod that I recently discovered thanks to this thread and join the empire who, much like everyone who ever cosplayed as a stormtrooper, are absolute fash nazi chuds for wanting to play as an evil character. :D

I cannot wait for your reaction when you meet Pippin.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Kwyndig posted:

I mean yeah, that's where it is for me. Yes ARR is slow and kind of sucky, we've all been there, but it feels different coming from someone whose sense of humor is calibrated at the "wanna kill the cute/small things in this game, hate them so much, amirite guys?" level. I think I've gotten too used to most of the forum's population having gone on an irony detox and not needing to prop up their enjoyment of an anime weeb video game with defensive/derisive making GBS threads on the parts that are insufficiently manly/macho/western/normal/something.

ARR is fuckin' rough, though. I am the target audience for boxes and boxes and boxes of text about menial chores for regular citizens and even I was getting a bit exasperated some of the busywork 2.x had me doing. 2.5 made it all worthwhile and things generally improve steadily, but yeah yeah yeah it's been said before and there's nothing they can do to fix ARR other than deleting it entirely and that'd take WAY more dev time and resources than anyone's gonna wanna commit, so welp.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you do know you can just ignore him (not even capital i Ignore literally just, scroll past the posts) instead of clutching your pearls right. its seriously not that big a deal.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Relyssa posted:

I think it was the combination of saying both "I want to exterminate the lalafell" and "I want to play as the empire" in the same post that might have made people a bit hinky.

I understand both statements in a vacuum, but the connotations of saying both at once are unfortunate.

Honestly, TLD's posts have been the only good part of this entire loving debacle today, y'all need to chill

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This poo poo is why everyone hates FF14 fans for real lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This poo poo is why everyone hates FF14 fans for real lol.
its embarrassing is what it is