Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They’re starting a weekly comic series on Twitter it seems:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1689310640228442112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I love the little Yas-style drawings on the chalkboard

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Sonic thread, my kid thinks Chaos are cute and I want to get him one of the sonic adventure GameCube games. Is the chao garden stuff easier to access in adventure one or two? He has a pretty short attention span and I want to set him up to succeed with me personally playing as little of the actual game as necessary. Thank you

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Sonic thread, my kid thinks Chaos are cute and I want to get him one of the sonic adventure GameCube games. Is the chao garden stuff easier to access in adventure one or two? He has a pretty short attention span and I want to set him up to succeed with me personally playing as little of the actual game as necessary. Thank you

I think it's easier to access in SA2, since you'll just load up the garden from a menu, while SA1 has the hub world and you need to physically walk to the garden. There should be more stuff to do in the SA2 Chao Garden too.

But even in both games, you need to get upgrade stuff from killing enemies in levels, and you buy stuff in the gardens with rings from levels, so it'll still need you to play the game to get the most out of it.

But all of that is based on fuzzy memory, I've not played either game in over a decade and I never really got into Chao stuff myself.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 12, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

I think it's easier to access in SA2, since you'll just load up the garden from a menu, while SA1 has the hub world and you need to physically walk to the garden. There should be more stuff to do in the SA2 Chao Garden too.

But even in both games, you need to get upgrade stuff from killing enemies in levels, and you buy stuff in the gardens with rings from levels, so it'll still need you to play the game to get the most out of it.

But all of that is based on fuzzy memory, I've not played either game in over a decade and I never really got into Chao stuff myself.

You still have to unlock the garden in the first place by beating a level with a Chao Key in handy (which come from blue crates found in all the stages, they’re pretty easy to spot).

In other news, Paramount continues to be stupid:

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1316516-sonic-the-hedgehog-3-will-begin-filming-without-actors-during-strike

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Shadow is a scab

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Palmtree Panic posted:

Shadow is a scab

"This is like taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m assuming this means they’re doing all the CG work for the movie first and then once the strike’s over going back and filming the live action stuff. Still seems weird when they could have just delayed the production entirely

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Veotax posted:

This is helpful, thank you. I think the chao stuff will be the main draw for him so if I can get him to that part quickly he will probably be more ok with the normal gameplay etc. thank you

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Go with Sonic Adventure 1 then for sure. As a kid, it's much more fun to wander around and find the chao gardens and then be able to go there any time you want instead of having to break open crates and poo poo looking for a key while getting shot at every single level

And collecting baby animals is way better than little coloured vials

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry just to be clear, you only have to find a chao key once per character. It's always what comes out of the first chao box you break per level (and if you don't collect it, the second and third too), but once a character has finished a level after finding a key, that character can go to the garden from the world map any time.

And the levels still have animals. Badniks drop animals when they're destroyed, and all levels have animals scattered around. If anything it's better because it's consistent, you can learn that Punpkin Hill has bone dogs here and here and here and a cheetah here and etc. And there's still room to get a fun surprise by finding the pipes, whistling into them gets you a random animal or two from the level's normal selection.

SA2's chao raising is a lot more in depth too, with Chao kindergarten giving them a lot more cute things to do, like singing and learning to draw and stuff. There's more races and they're presented a lot better, and there's karate too. And if your kid wants to get more into the stat training stuff later, SA2 exposes chao stat grades to you so you can get an idea of what kind of potential for growth your chao have.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 13, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Jackbotnik/status/1690362142455685120

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
New SAGE trailer dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rov4-sQuStU

Almost 30 minutes has both reminded me that this really should be two or three events, and led me to forget about the cool poo poo (mostly near the start) that made me shout "GIMME GIMME" internally.

Still, Classic Sonic, Advance/Rush Sonic, and various types of 3D Sonic all seem well represented, plus some indie stuff that looks cool, plus a new Toree game at the end!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Captain France posted:

New SAGE trailer dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rov4-sQuStU

Almost 30 minutes has both reminded me that this really should be two or three events, and led me to forget about the cool poo poo (mostly near the start) that made me shout "GIMME GIMME" internally.

Still, Classic Sonic, Advance/Rush Sonic, and various types of 3D Sonic all seem well represented, plus some indie stuff that looks cool, plus a new Toree game at the end!

Another Frogun? is the first one even one year old? Wild.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I appreciate the simple humor of Dr Robotnick's Mean bean tetris

Also a game called StarCosmo FoxVulpes

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 14, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would like to thank the SAGE '23 trailer for reminding me Message From Nightopia is a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iodeu8VVK2U

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The Sage trailer was good, I'm just sad that despite the NiGHTS logo and music, there was only 1 NiGHTS game I think? I wanted more :(

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would like to thank the SAGE '23 trailer for reminding me Message From Nightopia is a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iodeu8VVK2U

I've been on a NiGHTS kick lately so it's more fresh for me, but yes NiGHTS music is so good.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ventana posted:

The Sage trailer was good, I'm just sad that despite the NiGHTS logo and music, there was only 1 NiGHTS game I think? I wanted more :(

There's another one on Wii. But I heard it's really bad.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hrist posted:

There's another one on Wii. But I heard it's really bad.

First of all, I was talking about the trailer, not NiGHTS as a franchise in general. But yes, there basically is only the original Saturn game (ported to PS2 and HD consoles/PC later on), Christmas NiGHTS (the weirdest demo/short version of a game ever?), and NiGHTS: Journey of dreams which was basically a sequel/soft reboot thing.

Secondly, I have played the Wii game and I actually like it :shobon: but I don't want to litter the Sonic thread with my bad game takes (not even my bad Sonic game takes tbh). Though generally yeah I think most other fans were very disappointed in it.

I'm just NiGHTS pilled. As much as I hated the Balan Wonderworld demo, and as much as I know everyone (rightfully) shits on Balan Wonderworld for being obviously lazy, part of me still wants to play the full game and hope it'd be ok since I love the artsy unique style of NiGHTS stuff.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nights shouldn’t talk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Journey of Dreams was good, fight me

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

NiGHTs is an enby icon and the paraloop is cool

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gQ6ot46lE

Huh, neat.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Ventana posted:

First of all, I was talking about the trailer, not NiGHTS as a franchise in general. But yes, there basically is only the original Saturn game (ported to PS2 and HD consoles/PC later on), Christmas NiGHTS (the weirdest demo/short version of a game ever?), and NiGHTS: Journey of dreams which was basically a sequel/soft reboot thing.

Secondly, I have played the Wii game and I actually like it :shobon: but I don't want to litter the Sonic thread with my bad game takes (not even my bad Sonic game takes tbh). Though generally yeah I think most other fans were very disappointed in it.

I'm just NiGHTS pilled. As much as I hated the Balan Wonderworld demo, and as much as I know everyone (rightfully) shits on Balan Wonderworld for being obviously lazy, part of me still wants to play the full game and hope it'd be ok since I love the artsy unique style of NiGHTS stuff.

I think there were two in the trailer, one 2D and one 3D.

Also, you may be interested to know that the Special Stages in Sonic Robo Blast 2 are a Nights clone, and there's extra ones that are actually Nights themed, too. No way to play as Nights instead of Super <Character> that I know of, but hey, it's kind of more Nights.

I don't know how much SRB2 you need to play to get to all the special stages, and it can be a bit hard to get the hang of, unfortunately. If you have trouble, I'd either play as Tails for easy mode, or give up on it's weird physics and acceleration for now and download the Adventure Sonic mod, which basically feels like Sonic Adventure.
(Tails would be better if the rest of the game interests you, it's cool as hell once it clicks!)

Also yes, this does mean that Sonic Robo Blast 2 has the best Special Stages in any Sonic game I am aware of.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, Christian tweeted an early story pitch (I assume from soon after the 'four zone' pitch got expanded to 'four new zones and a bunch of classic ones')

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/1691596071049523372

Image because Twitter's being dumb and breaking:

I'm here for the lil depressed Eggman. Also thug Heavy King (Heavy Infinity?) with his handgun.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 16, 2023

tygical
Jul 29, 2023
oh... if only we knew how terrible project 2017 would turn out...

/)(\

tygical
Jul 29, 2023

Pureauthor posted:

"Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great."

Also Sonic Mania opens up an obvious Time Paradox, as Tails is a playable character in it yet in Sonic Generations he does not appear to be familiar with Green Hill Zone at all. :goonsay:
either the timeline splits or tails is just forgetful lmao

/)(\

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
He just thought it was emerald hill

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also Tails had been in multiple Green Hill Zones by this point, off the top of my head there's Mecha Green Hill, Neo Green Hill and Sunset Hill, which is literally just Green Hill at a different time of day.

tygical
Jul 29, 2023

Bismack Billabongo posted:

for a second i thought you were saying he thought Chaos (the water beast) was cute lmao
i mean i'd hug chaos but idk if i'd keep him as a pet or anything

/)(\

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chaos 4 would make a good pet if you had a big enough tank for him to swim in

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I always thought Chaos 6 was cute when I was a kid. If you give anything little stumpy legs and a big frog mouth it usually ends up cute

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Er, excuse me; Eggman in fact, gave Chaos 6 a frogs tail, not a mouth. You're going to have to play Bigs story again I'm afraid.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Paused posted:

Er, excuse me; Froggy in fact, gave Chaos 6 a frogs tail, not a mouth. You're going to have to play Bigs story again I'm afraid.
:colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually Chaos gave Froggy a Chaos tail

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Do Mecha Green Hill again, it’s a solid concept

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trying posted:

Do Mecha Green Hill again, it’s a solid concept

Start the game with Green Egg Zone and end it with Death Hill Zone.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Start the game with Green Egg Zone and end it with Death Hill Zone.

So Colors again?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Desert Bus remake but Green Hill Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

More Superstars news coming next week:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1692234840584712217