Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

are those g wagons that cost like $180K?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Surprised they haven’t proposed something really bonkers like banning fully WFH positions from being based out of SF. I mean, it would probably cause too much chaos as you’d have a lot of valuable high ranking programmers quit en masse and make things worse. On the other hand, they gotta figure something out. These shill articles trying to fool workers into thinking they miss the office just aren’t working and not enough companies are colluding hard enough to truly squash WFH.

Honestly I'm not sure I buy the "companies really care about commercial real estate prices and that's why they want people back in office" thing. It may be partially true sometimes, but the reality is most companies lease office space and are ultra cash-strapped right now. Even firms that own land are exploring sale-leaseback arrangements as a way to raise needed cash during a downturn. I think municipal governments and some parts of the FIRE sector are at odds here with companies that have an office workforce in general.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

veepfake posted:

the thing i dont get about this is like, surely multiple people throughout history have tried something like this before? has it ever worked?

Are you asking if any human unlocked the secret of immortality?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Willa Rogers posted:

Another one bites the dust:

Getting some 2007-08 vibes when my r/e investor clients started going belly-up.

Housing is in high demand, especially in SF. And yet :thunk:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mawarannahr posted:

This is what I can't wrap my head around, since I never found them particularly nice or luxurious.

I'm curious which model is more expensive between MIC bloat and luxury pricing.

e: I bet the base vehicle actually is pretty cheap

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

unfortunately this guy appears to be a nazi. Oh well

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

yes. but what you do is start a "small business / advertising real estate consultant" as a delaware LLC, take out a 300k PP loan, buy a $200k car on company ledger, write it off on taxes, then just drive it to kids school and commute 2 miles to the local Pottery Barn and William Sonoma

bam you've got a publicly paid $200k murder SUV. plus after 2 years you just sell it to yourself then resell it on the market and buy a new Porsche Cayenne 8-door LS Ultra Plus 4K. rinse-repeat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The PPP loans were insanely bad and we're basically never, ever going to grapple with that as a society.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Paradoxish posted:

The PPP loans were insanely bad and we're basically never, ever going to grapple with that as a society.

If we refuse to ever raise taxes again eventually we're going to grapple with it, in the same way that Timothy Treadwell eventually grappled with how dangerous his hobby was.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

If we refuse to ever raise taxes again eventually we're going to grapple with it, in the same way that Timothy Treadwell eventually grappled with how dangerous his hobby was.

Fairly sure something else did the grappling in that case

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paradoxish posted:

https://twitter.com/jwilcox79/status/1689125109213147136

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1692024092428263484?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah but they were all stupid hacks. THIS time it'll work, because I am an actual genius who can commit to my goals, unlike all of them, who were not special protagonists like I am.

The hero's journey and its effects have been a disaster for the human race.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

it did what it was supposed to: money for meee but not for theeee

the sudden rise in expensive murder boats and lovely premium luxury cars can all be traced back to every business owner getting a freee $300k to buy a land yacht

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Can't give money to human beings without giving away a huge pile of it to corporations, too. Wouldn't be fair. Unamerican, even.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's amazing how the large scale management of the fundamentals of the entire economy are just thrown into the laps of a bunch of fed people with minimal oversight or input from congress aside from whining.

so many of these problems are fiscal policy problems but our government is incapable of doing anything about them in a positive way.

There is one ideology that has a solution

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Ammanas posted:

capitalism is completely unable to address the crises it creates

why address a crisis when you can profit from it

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

That's 45-year-old guy that has an insane health regimen to look like an 18-year-old that takes up most of his waking hours which would make anyone totally miserable so he can...look like a 45-year-old with a pretty good skincare routine, right?

It would be funny if it were a monkey's paw situation where he really did look 18 but the only way to maintain it is a cruel regimen that sucks all joy out of eternal life, but it's even funnier that it barely does anything and he still looks his age.

He looks like a jaundiced skeleton dipping more and more toes into Lake Bogdanoff in stills from videos.
I don't remember his insane list of supplements/drugs off the top of my head but he's taking both roids and estrogen and is already growing jugs lmao

bonelessdongs has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Aug 17, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

It's hilarious that everyone can see who has all the money that's sloshing around, but there's absolutely nothing that government can so about it

Push stronger antitrust laws. Could probably get antivax conservatives to support it by playing up their hatred for Bill Gates.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58rZylfxnjE
Props to him for putting in all this effort to ascend to the Bog throne instead of making an account on lookism and hitting his face with a hammer like a normal person

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Which vampire clan is he?

e: lmao he doesn't drink wine

super sweet best pal has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Aug 17, 2023

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

Push stronger antitrust laws. Could probably get antivax conservatives to support it by playing up their hatred for Bill Gates.

A more effective solution would be subsidizing submarine trips kitplanes and private helicopters

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
I will never forget your sacrifice, Comrade Rush

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
All these freaks think they have superhuman decision-making powers because well why would they be so fabulously wealthy otherwise? I must be special!

Did they ever stop doing the raw water thing

Also quick check- Steve Jobs DID kill himself with juice instead of seeking real medical treatment right? That isn't some sorta apocryphal story?

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Monkey Fracas posted:

All these freaks think they have superhuman decision-making powers because well why would they be so fabulously wealthy otherwise? I must be special!

Did they ever stop doing the raw water thing

Also quick check- Steve Jobs DID kill himself with juice instead of seeking real medical treatment right? That isn't some sorta apocryphal story?

I heard the same on YOSPOS so it's the truth

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

the specific kind of pancreatic cancer Jobs had was, by all accounts, very treatable at the time it was detected. He just didn't want to do it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah he did some dumbass juice cleanse because he was dumb as gently caress

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
great man theory is insane bullshit for idiots. everyone is pretty equivalently stupid. people who are elevated into the public eye are the dumbest of all because only a deranged moron would want that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

yeah he did some dumbass juice cleanse because he was dumb as gently caress

Hey that cancer was well nourished and grew up big and strong. So not a total failure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

the specific kind of pancreatic cancer Jobs had was, by all accounts, very treatable at the time it was detected. He just didn't want to do it.

iirc this wasn't entirely true. pancreatic cancer spreads really quickly and like 95%+ people die within several years of being diagnosed with it. most go out quick like swayze. if anything that he lived for like an extra 7 years is a testament to how much money can buy health

but yes he was certainly a dumb rear end. i think he would have died either way even on chemo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

iirc this wasn't entirely true. pancreatic cancer spreads really quickly and like 95%+ people die within several years of being diagnosed with it. most go out quick like swayze. if anything that he lived for like an extra 7 years is a testament to how much money can buy health

but yes he was certainly a dumb rear end. i think he would have died either way even on chemo

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pancreatic-cancer-type-jobs/

quote:

Most pancreatic cancers (53 percent) are diagnosed after they have spread—and those have an exceedingly low survival rate, with just 1.8 percent of patients living for more than five years after diagnosis. (For all types of the cancer, the average five-year survival rate when diagnosed is only slightly higher at 3.3 percent.) So how did Jobs, who was diagnosed in the fall of 2003—and who revealed it publicly in 2004—manage to survive for eight years?

Jobs had a rare form of the cancer, known as neuroendocrine cancer, which grows more slowly and is easier to treat, explains Leonard Saltz, acting chief of the gastrointestinal oncology service at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. "Survival for many years or even decades with endocrine cancer is not surprising." For that type, the sort that Jobs had, "survival is measured in years, as opposed to pancreatic cancer, which is measured in months."

"When you have a pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor, that is substantially different from pancreatic cancer," Saltz says.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xaris posted:

Nah there are a few kinds of pancreatic cancer and he had the rarer, much more survivable version and died like a moron in spite of it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
proud of this country's captains of industry
Health care CEOs hauled in $4 billion last year as inflation pinched workers, analysis shows

www.statnews.com posted:

The health care industry didn’t just provide a safe haven for jittery stock investors in 2022, a year defined by inflation and higher interest rates. It also provided a stable stream of wealth for top executives, who collectively pocketed billions of dollars in what was otherwise a rough patch for the economy.

By almost every measure, 2022 was a bad year for the stock market. But health care stocks fell significantly less than other companies as the amount of care received and prescriptions filled returned closer to pre-pandemic norms.

As a result, the CEOs of more than 300 publicly traded health care companies combined to make $4 billion in 2022, according to a STAT analysis of financial filings. That amount of money could buy Costco memberships for more than 66 million people, and it’s equivalent to the entire economic output of Sierra Leone.

That CEO haul was down 11% from the $4.5 billion recorded in 2021. But the sizable paydays highlight how every niche of health care — from Covid-19 vaccines and obscure technology to orthopedic implants and providing coverage to the nation’s poor — continued to supply its leaders with substantial sums of money even as more people struggled to afford food, housing, and, yes, health care.

“No matter how you slice it, the people at the top — the CEOs of these companies — are making enormous gains every year compared to ordinary Americans,” said John McDonough, a health policy professor at Harvard who has studied health care for nearly four decades. “This is the bitter fruit that we reap from telling the health care industry to act more like a business.”

No CEO made more than Moderna’s Stéphane Bancel, who took in nearly $400 million after governments around the world quickly bought the biotech company’s Covid-19 shot. Bancel is in the process of donating a vast majority of his income to charities. The 10 highest-paid CEOs — a list that also includes the CEOs of Thermo Fisher and McKesson — made a combined $1.4 billion, or about a third of the total studied. That amount is roughly what the National Institutes of Health spends annually to study drug abuse and addiction.

The irony with health care’s massive payouts, according to experts, is how the industry praises itself for attempting to find ways to lower costs. But health care still represents more than 18% of the U.S. economy — similar to what it was before the pandemic.

“Individual companies’ incentive is not to bring system costs down,” McDonough said.

Similar to last year, STAT analyzed executive compensation found in the annual proxy filings of more than 300 companies across all health care sectors — drugmakers and biotech firms, health insurers, hospitals, other providers, medical device firms, health tech companies, suppliers, and more. The analysis focused on companies that were worth at least $1 billion in March, based on data from financial database provider AlphaSense.

The data offer a detailed view of how top executives are incentivized, like how stock continues to comprise most of their compensation and how that drives the wide pay disparities between those in charge and those who work on the ground, like nurses, home health aides, and others. The analysis also highlights outliers within each sector, such as one biopharma CEO who made more than $90 million — all of which came from so-called “management fees.”

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That's 45-year-old guy that has an insane health regimen to look like an 18-year-old that takes up most of his waking hours which would make anyone totally miserable so he can...look like a 45-year-old with a pretty good skincare routine, right?

It would be funny if it were a monkey's paw situation where he really did look 18 but the only way to maintain it is a cruel regimen that sucks all joy out of eternal life, but it's even funnier that it barely does anything and he still looks his age.

His skin looks like poo poo, all those pictures are just photo filters. I watched some youtube vid going through his routine and all his skin has a purple/orange pallor and has some weird rear end chicken skin wrinkles on it that looks really hosed up.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
you can always just look at people’s hands since , to my knowledge, that’s one visible area we can’t smooth out/make younger yet unless people start applying makeup to their dang hands.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mawarannahr posted:

yeah those are G wagons, IDK if they're all that expensive but they are high end luxury suvs for sure

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1692136943063052356?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
just get the american pyscho moisturizer routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I bet the base vehicle actually is pretty cheap

That's 30-40 years old and they look like they cost about 30 grand.