Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Lol all this time I thought that hard r means ’retarded’ until I googled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i thought craft computing telling people to put their steam library in their NAS through iscsi was one of the funniest jokes ever, but then i realized he wasn't joking

Also had this utterly bizarre 4060 review - basically arguing everyone is doing mid/lowrange card reviews wrong by arguing against a strawman that the 4060 series is getting poo poo on because reviewers are unfairly comparing it to high end products on expensive CPU's.

Like there's some merit that for midrange card reviews, game benchmarks should also show high settings and not just Ultra (which I've seen many do regardless), but that's not why the 4060 series was trashed - it was trashed because it could be beaten by the previous generation of cards, and there wasn't any vram upgrade despite it being clearly limited years ago, let alone now. Just basically a dumbass.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 17, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sorbus posted:

Lol all this time I thought that hard r means ’retarded’ until I googled it.

post on your own forums linus

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Also had this utterly bizarre 4060 review - basically arguing everyone is doing mid/lowrange card reviews wrong by arguing against a strawman that the 4060 series is getting poo poo on because reviewers are unfairly comparing it to high end products on expensive CPU's.

Like there's some merit that for midrange card reviews, game benchmarks should also show high settings and not just Ultra (which I've seen many do regardless), but that's not why the 4060 series was trashed - it was trashed because it could be beaten by the previous generation of cards, and there wasn't any vram upgrade despite it being clearly limited years ago, let alone now. Just basically a dumbass.

I’ve followed him for quite a bit and he really cannot let that video or the fiasco go. Each time it gets brought up he goes on and on about it. He has a bit of resentment about it and towards Steve, who he feels cultivated rabid fans that can only say in unison “you’re doing it wrong”.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

post on your own forums linus

My excuse is that English is not my main language

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
My favourite things about the Linus apology video were the deflection from any sort of responsibility, hollow promising to do better and still blaming others for their dog poo poo ethics.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

https://twitter.com/DubMFG/status/1692018343476441144

Ex LTT employee collaborating that the info Madison was posting was in line with what he heard when he worked there.
He's also made his first reddit post in 5 months with a bit more clarification.

Colin (Former LMG Staff) posted:

Sure - I can say that I talked to Madison often about the hardships she faced while employed at LMG, and I also helped her to find that next job to get out. I'm not her, so what she has to say is just hearsay because I don't have a first person account of much of anything in that post. But, that said, the story as she's told it in the posts today is as I remember it back then.
Something that really stands out for me is the "much of anything" line which doesn't mean he didn't have any first person accounts of what happened.
It also makes the timeline very interesting where he "helped her to find that next job to get out" and then barely a few months later he quit as well (pretty much straight after waiting for his turn in getting his free poo poo from the Intel upgrade series they did).

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
So we have:
  • Madison's reports of abusive behaviour and SA
  • Tweet likes from multiple LTT ex-employees
  • A glassdoor post saying the same that she posted at the time
  • Corroboration from an ex-employee that her claims have been consistent since she was employed at the company
  • A company made up of tech bro senior managers <30 with little to no experience managing teams
  • A meeting that took place the day after she left talking about bad HR processes to deal with SA and bullying/abuse

and yet the LTT forums and about half of the comments on all reddit posts are all still saying sHeS lYiNg bRo and claiming she's making it all up for clout.

I am horrified by humanity.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kalleth posted:

So we have:
  • Madison's reports of abusive behaviour and SA
  • Tweet likes from multiple LTT ex-employees
  • A glassdoor post saying the same that she posted at the time
  • Corroboration from an ex-employee that her claims have been consistent since she was employed at the company
  • A company made up of tech bro senior managers <30 with little to no experience managing teams
  • A meeting that took place the day after she left talking about bad HR processes to deal with SA and bullying/abuse

and yet the LTT forums and about half of the comments on all reddit posts are all still saying sHeS lYiNg bRo and claiming she's making it all up for clout.

I am horrified by humanity.

The LTT forums crowd bullied someone to suicide for the crime of acquiring the old NCIX tech tips youtube button. Why are you surprised about them not caring about someone that experienced harassment?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

The LTT forums crowd bullied someone to suicide for the crime of acquiring the old NCIX tech tips youtube button. Why are you surprised about them not caring about someone that experienced harassment?
where the gently caress is this coming from? that old reddit post of a grieving father who was clearly just grasping for some reason as to why their kid would kill themselves?

there's enough to be angry at linus tech tips about (the theft, the sexual harrassment poo poo going on) without reading into stuff like that, or "remembering" other things so you can get yourself more angry

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

yeah guys clearly it's just a coincidence that the kid who the ltt community relentlessly harassed, doxed, and sent death threats to committed suicide shortly after

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah the most depressing thing has been following reddit links over the past few days and seeing how many more LTT apologists are upvoted to the top today compared to after the initial GN video and right after Madison first came out. Like the one about the office meeting clip is just 'sounds like a normal company meeting I don't get it' even on the post about Madison's twitter comments singling out the issues with specific phrasing in the meeting... Felt like the posts there were 100% making GBS threads on Linus 36 hours ago.

Almost feels like it got chud-brigaded but that is sadly giving too much credit to techbro redditors.

E: think I'm gonna stop phoneposting...what the hell is 'Tachbrook', phone?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 17, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tornhelm posted:

He's also made his first reddit post in 5 months with a bit more clarification.

Something that really stands out for me is the "much of anything" line which doesn't mean he didn't have any first person accounts of what happened.
It also makes the timeline very interesting where he "helped her to find that next job to get out" and then barely a few months later he quit as well (pretty much straight after waiting for his turn in getting his free poo poo from the Intel upgrade series they did).

Women get treated differently.

In my professional carreer (mostly tech) I have never stopped hearing gender based remarks or jabs between men regarding women. And even in the front facing mode, women often get treated weirdly even if it's meant to be positive, like "hurr hurr ladies first" etc.

As a man in a field populated by mostly men, I get to feel included. And when there's some friendly ribbing (or often cringy edginess) I can feel safe, because i'm in the ingroup. I am accepted, because I'm a straight white dude among mostly other straight white dudes.

So I can believe Madison's account as well as that others might have been oblivious to it for various reasons. Or that they've been part of the problem. And that's not a defense, just my experience.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

kalleth posted:

[*] A glassdoor post saying the same that she posted at the time

Madison confirmed this post was made by her in a recent tweet

E: This one

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 17, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shipon posted:

where the gently caress is this coming from? that old reddit post of a grieving father who was clearly just grasping for some reason as to why their kid would kill themselves?

there's enough to be angry at linus tech tips about (the theft, the sexual harrassment poo poo going on) without reading into stuff like that, or "remembering" other things so you can get yourself more angry

Yeah, because sustained and targeted cyber bullying has clearly never led anyone to suicide! :eyeroll: Don't be an insensitive dick.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

Madison confirmed this post was made by her in a recent tweet (see upthread)

Yeah, that's what I meant by "that she posted at the time". My point was to illustrate that her story has stayed consistent for over a year and a half, corroborated by Colin's tweet and the glassdoor post.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Upside for linus: this entire fiasco got them to finally remove his endorsement from their website.

Upside for Anker: they dumped Linus's name and endorsement a week before all this exploded, and don't have to deal with touching the poop.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 17, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just caught up on all the latest LTT controversy stuff and :yikes:

Adding my name to those who are absolutely done with Linus and his channels.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just caught up on all the latest LTT controversy stuff and :yikes:

Adding my name to those who are absolutely done with Linus and his channels.

i never even started lmao

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Palladium posted:

Last one i watched was them plumbing the computer radiators to the outside of the building or something like that, they got Lukes dad roped into doing some of the work.... still ended up as a pile of shite.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I watched a handful of Linus Tech Tips videos over the years but prefer Gamer's Nexus or those two Australian lads who do tech reviews or just random people reviewing gaming laptops (I only ever buy gaming laptops because I have brain damage). The YouTube algorithm however is hell bent on promoting LTT it seems. I always got his videos popping up in my feed even though I haven't clicked on one for months and months. Eventually I got tired of seeing thumbnails of his stupid grinning face randomly pop up on my feed I clicked on the "don't recommend channel" button.

YouTube, I've noticed, has a bad habit of shoving their TOP VIRAL INFLUENCERS up your rear end unless you explicitly click the don't recommend channel button.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
YouTube had this thing for a while (maybe still?) where they wanted to become like a TV station, so they were pushing some preferred creators like Fox News, CNN etc. and channels like LTT over small-time creators. I wonder what the profit sharing agreement LMG has with YouTube and if it's structured differently than a regular user's?

YouTube also did poo poo like only recommending official Scientology org. videos on the side of Scientology's own videos, because Scientology - as an advertiser - were unhappy about videos exposing them appearing next to their videos.

The first LTT video I saw was the whole-house water cooling, but I didn't see another "techtuber" video again until Linus did his car video, and Paul's Hardware did his solar roof - so I discovered GN via Paul's Hardware in the pandmeic IIRC.

Vir fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 17, 2023

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

lynch_69 posted:

I watched a handful of Linus Tech Tips videos over the years but prefer Gamer's Nexus or those two Australian lads who do tech reviews or just random people reviewing gaming laptops (I only ever buy gaming laptops because I have brain damage). The YouTube algorithm however is hell bent on promoting LTT it seems. I always got his videos popping up in my feed even though I haven't clicked on one for months and months. Eventually I got tired of seeing thumbnails of his stupid grinning face randomly pop up on my feed I clicked on the "don't recommend channel" button.

YouTube, I've noticed, has a bad habit of shoving their TOP VIRAL INFLUENCERS up your rear end unless you explicitly click the don't recommend channel button.

I think I would just stop using YouTube forever if my algorithm got reset or something.

Every once in a while I open the landing page in incognito mode just to view the poop, and jesus wept is it a hellscape. That gurning gently caress MrBeast staring me in the face every third video, just gently caress no.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Before they replaced it with Shorts, accidentally clicking the Trending page used to be a nightmarish insight into what most people were watching on Youtube. Now accidentally clicking Shorts just shows me a cut down version of a video I probably watched several weeks ago.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

njsykora posted:

Before they replaced it with Shorts, accidentally clicking the Trending page used to be a nightmarish insight into what most people were watching on Youtube. Now accidentally clicking Shorts just shows me a cut down version of a video I probably watched several weeks ago.

i've successfully tricked Shorts into being almost entirely cat and dog videos

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Yeah it was pointed out to him. I was just making a point of how much of a neo lib he was

Argh, on top of everything else now a LIIIBBB!!!???

loose goose
Oct 29, 2012

once i possess what i desire the millenium rod will mean absolutely nothing to me
Reddit admins removed the posts of Madison's thread that were getting large visibility– from both the Linus Tech Tips and PC Master Race subreddits.

R/LTT post about removal

Comment on r/LTT about PCMR removal

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

loose goose posted:

Reddit admins removed the posts of Madison's thread that were getting large visibility– from both the Linus Tech Tips and PC Master Race subreddits.

R/LTT post about removal

Comment on r/LTT about PCMR removal

Reddit mods are scum, water is wet, what else is new?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It was probably mass-reported by hardcore fanboys. The incel-types are really, really angry that her tweets got traction.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Shipon posted:

I'm gonna believe the grieving dad but you're free to side with the LTT community on this one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
should've just kept the thing shut down after June 12th

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
guess linus ran out of people to vent to rang rang up another canadian shithead

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmericanSmallDunlinPhilosoraptor-O8WtBoPvpmohgVPN

no i will not translate what's being said, but you can decrease the playback speed for your own personal convenience

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Palladium posted:

I used to watch it quite a bit. I guess I lost track of time, as when I started hearing about all this drama and realized I stop watching their vids during the pandemic.

It really was just superficial YouTube entertainment. Not a particular ding on them, but I just don’t like the whole YouTube influencer format. TechTV/G4 was actual cable entertainment and looking at it now it feels more objective and less gimmicky than most TV news channels.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It was probably mass-reported by hardcore fanboys. The incel-types are really, really angry that her tweets got traction.

Doesn't Reddit have some weird feature where if a thing gets mass reported it's automatically yanked?

Might be wrong on that, I don't use it beyond using google to find stuff like game specific threads on how to do a weird, hard game thig, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that in the past.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is starting to have an outside chance of reaching escape velocity (for the worse)

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 17, 2023

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is starting to have an outside chance of reaching escape velocity (for the worse)

Unsurprising unfortunately. I think the quarterpoundering already did at least one video on the LTT/GN thing

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 17, 2023

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Reddit mods are scum, water is wet, what else is new?

Well, most of the Mods in R/LTT are LTT staff so I'm surpised it took this long.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1691960098057605541

Since this rear end in a top hat is buddy buddy with the boer dipshit, i guess the expose thread is going to get hidden from search or worse.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

JockstrapManthrust posted:

Well, most of the Mods in R/LTT are LTT staff so I'm surpised it took this long.

They were deleted by Reddit itself (probably the automated system mentioned above, triggered by mass reports) rather than deleted by mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.