Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah so do I but not like .. Live garden snails lol.

Thanks to everyone who talked about curry earlier, I did a pot of Japanese curry thanks to that discussion and my kid thankfully ate a giant plates worth

Isn't it nuts? I spent so long getting a nose turned up at highly seasoned dishes and mixed up dishes, now here I'm serving a highly-seasoned mixed-up dish and she's eating like she's breathing it. Fine, whatever. Do you, kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
My two year old loves washing her hands. We have a bathtub with a faucet that she can reach while standing up from outside the tub, and she will constantly ask to go wash her hands. Normally I think a parent would be happy about a toddler wanting to wash her hands, but she gets her clothes wet every time she does it, and then she'll demand to change her clothes even if it's only a tiny spot that's wet. I've been able to keep her requests mostly at bay by telling her that her hands are already clean, but yesterday she finally found a way around that.

"Wanna wash your hands!" (she calls herself "you")
"No, you just washed your hands. Your hands are already clean."
*sticks both of her hands in her mouth* "Mamma mash mor mands!"

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Brawnfire posted:

Didn't someone die from eating a slug? Can you die from eating an unprepared snail?

I'll have to warn all the ones I eat, first

Yes :( https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/11/05/health/man-dies-after-eating-slug-on-dare/index.html

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Spoggerific posted:

My two year old loves washing her hands. We have a bathtub with a faucet that she can reach while standing up from outside the tub, and she will constantly ask to go wash her hands. Normally I think a parent would be happy about a toddler wanting to wash her hands, but she gets her clothes wet every time she does it, and then she'll demand to change her clothes even if it's only a tiny spot that's wet. I've been able to keep her requests mostly at bay by telling her that her hands are already clean, but yesterday she finally found a way around that.

I would get a waterproof poncho/smock situation to keep next to the faucet for when you aren't able to convince her away

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Three is definitely worse than two in case anyone was wondering. My god, the need for independence...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Last Saturday: missus suggests we take Little Ms 1 Year Old to the doctor, the cough is getting worse.

Sunday: Take her in in the morning, get cough medicine, get her down for a nap. Wakes up from the nap into a 102 F/39 C fever, take her back to the clinic, get fever medication and an appointment for Monday to check for viruses.

Monday: Fever goes down but jumps up once meds wear off. Negative for COVID and flu. Check the ears but get sent home with “if she’s still got fever on Wednesday, come back.”

Tuesday: not really getting better. Pops fever again.

Wednesday: Take her to nearby E/N/T that have seen her before. Ear infection! Who could have guessed (me, it’s me). Fever down but not out, so keep her home one more day.

Thursday: No fever, antibiotics ripping through the diaper supplies, have to watch her solo most of the day because wife is busy with work and goes to the office in the afternoon.

Kinda feeling shattered today, can’t lie.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Ear infections are awful, but a diagnosis feels good, yeah? Plus she's probably feeling better today?

Did no one at the clinic check her ears on Monday?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Spoggerific posted:

Holy smokes I could have written this, it's an epidemic of tiny hand washers making a mess

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

harperdc posted:

Last Saturday: missus suggests we take Little Ms 1 Year Old to the doctor, the cough is getting worse.

Sunday: Take her in in the morning, get cough medicine, get her down for a nap. Wakes up from the nap into a 102 F/39 C fever, take her back to the clinic, get fever medication and an appointment for Monday to check for viruses.

Monday: Fever goes down but jumps up once meds wear off. Negative for COVID and flu. Check the ears but get sent home with “if she’s still got fever on Wednesday, come back.”

Wednesday: Take her to nearby E/N/T that have seen her before. Ear infection! Who could have guessed (me, it’s me). Fever down but not out, so keep her home one more day.

Thursday: No fever, antibiotics ripping through the diaper supplies, have to watch her solo most of the day because wife is busy with work and goes to the office in the afternoon.

Kinda feeling shattered today, can’t lie.

Yea this was us for years 1-2.5. Almost every viral infection led to an eventual ear infection that doesn’t show up for 2-3 days after the initial fever. They check the ears on the first visit and they are fine but then 2 days later the fever is gone or lower and the kid is still miserable. Seems to have gotten better after we have gotten closer to age 3 though. All you really learn is how to give antibiotics effectively.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I took my kid to the dentist for her first visit AND to the ENT (two days, back to back). I’ll take my medal in gold, thanks

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

She actually did okay at the dentist, we practiced at home (sitting in a chair that I leaned back, shining a flashlight, counting her teeth with a chopstick). Didn’t try the fluoride treatment though.

Since she’s not on our dental insurance, we did spend about 185 bucks to have her teeth brushed by a hygienist and shake hands with the dentist

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

dismas posted:

She actually did okay at the dentist, we practiced at home (sitting in a chair that I leaned back, shining a flashlight, counting her teeth with a chopstick). Didn’t try the fluoride treatment though.

Since she’s not on our dental insurance, we did spend about 185 bucks to have her teeth brushed by a hygienist and shake hands with the dentist

I bet if you math it out putting her on your insurance for a year is way more than 185. It certainly is for me, waiting on some more adult teeth before I start paying for insurance (Though the kid still goes to the dentist of course.)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

I bet if you math it out putting her on your insurance for a year is way more than 185. It certainly is for me, waiting on some more adult teeth before I start paying for insurance (Though the kid still goes to the dentist of course.)

Our increase in dental insurance going from covering two adults to covering adults + kids was only $48/year.

Dental insurance generally tends to be less expensive than health. It is an increase of $1500 a year for the health insurance for a family versus two adults.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

sheri posted:

Our increase in dental insurance going from covering two adults to covering adults + kids was only $48/year.

Dental insurance generally tends to be less expensive than health. It is an increase of $1500 a year for the health insurance for a family versus two adults.

Well, I guess people do have to math it out. It's about 400 for me to add my "children" (regardless of #) to my dental plan.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's ridiculous that health insurance doesn't just cover teeth anyway. And eyes.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

...or ears!

I pay for dental insurance in case my kids have a catastrophic issue with their teeth.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The entire concept of health insurance is ridiculous.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

External Organs posted:

Three is definitely worse than two in case anyone was wondering. My god, the need for independence...

And at the same time the need for mommydaddy to be right there paying attention so you can't actually capitalize on the independence by doing anything else.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

sheri posted:

It's ridiculous that health insurance doesn't just cover teeth anyway. And eyes.

We have universal healthcare here in Canada and it also doesn't cover teeth. I also think it's ridiculous. I haven't been to the dentist in many years because I have a mild phobia of dental work. I prefer just getting put under to get a bunch of work done, but I also don't want to pay through the nose for the pleasure.

My daughter has a dentist appointment on Monday. Sometimes I can get her to brush her teeth, and sometimes not. So far it's just been part of the bedtime routine but I really gotta start working it into morning routine as well.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessa posted:

We have universal healthcare here in Canada and it also doesn't cover teeth. I also think it's ridiculous. I haven't been to the dentist in many years because I have a mild phobia of dental work. I prefer just getting put under to get a bunch of work done, but I also don't want to pay through the nose for the pleasure.

My daughter has a dentist appointment on Monday. Sometimes I can get her to brush her teeth, and sometimes not. So far it's just been part of the bedtime routine but I really gotta start working it into morning routine as well.

I mean they just rolled out universal dental care for families making under $80K/year too. But yeah, it should just be universal for everyone.

Re dentist, there's totally a Sesame Street episode about going to the dentist, for free on YouTube. We showed that to our kid before his last visit and it seemed to help.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

harperdc posted:

Wednesday: Take her to nearby E/N/T that have seen her before. Ear infection! Who could have guessed (me, it’s me).

I bought the world's second cheapest ear scope on amazon for like $25, it comes out if a fever persists for more than 12 hours; do not regret that purchase one bit

I don't suggest trying to diagnose your own kids for ear infections, but in like 3 seconds you can generally decide if you should get them checked out by a doctor and it's not just a viral thing, you get to skip the 12-48 hour "should I/shouldn't I" mental dance about taking them in for an appointment

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dismas posted:

She actually did okay at the dentist, we practiced at home (sitting in a chair that I leaned back, shining a flashlight, counting her teeth with a chopstick).

This is super smart

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

hallo spacedog posted:

Holy smokes I could have written this, it's an epidemic of tiny hand washers making a mess

Oh the joy they learn when they can grab mommy and daddy's toothbrush and play in the sink

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

GoutPatrol posted:

Oh the joy they learn when they can grab mommy and daddy's toothbrush and play in the sink

I caught my little dude with my husband’s toothbrush trying to brush the dog’s teeth last night lol. He is very enthusiastic about brushing!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

I hope posting back to school pictures is ok

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

Ear infections are awful, but a diagnosis feels good, yeah? Plus she's probably feeling better today?

Did no one at the clinic check her ears on Monday?

Yeah, having her back to normal is a relief. I’m just catching something as well and need some rest.

They did quickly check her ears on the Wednesday, but tl;dr it wasn’t our usual clinic (that one was closed for holidays) and I don’t think the doctor wanted to throw antibiotics at every problem. Understandable.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My kids love the dentist because they have games on the dentist iPad that we gosh darn it just can’t find to put on theirs.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Well, we're pulling the trigger on the little guy's first haircut on Saturday. We made it a bit over 15 months. I definitely don't mind keeping it long, but I'm pretty sure the day care is conducting psychological warfare on me by putting hair ties on him to get it out of his eyes. No son of mine is going to have a man bun! But perhaps we can clean it up but retain the general shape and length. It DOES get in his eyes a lot.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It took three weeks, but he didn't cry when I dropped him off today :unsmith:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
How does everyone choose things for the kid to do? The last year, our daughter did dance and tumbling/gymnastics. She also expressed interest in soccer and ice skating, which she tried but fell once and didn't want to try again. I want her to experience a lot of things but don't want her to burn out. Or have us burn out from driving and doing things every night of the week.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

remigious posted:

I caught my little dude with my husband’s toothbrush trying to brush the dog’s teeth last night lol. He is very enthusiastic about brushing!

Kids just love to brush! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMogM6TRIQ

I was never a Sesame Street kid, but I've settled on that being the one brand we're letting our baby get into. I play a Sesame Street album for him at bathtime, and it contains a lot of songs about toothbrushing that are all in my head now forever.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Absolutely it was worth it relative to putting her on it for now (until she’s getting permanent teeth that we need to care a bit more about)

Hadlock posted:

This is super smart

All credit to my wife for the idea. She’s really good at coming up with stuff like that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I was never a Sesame Street kid, but I've settled on that being the one brand we're letting our baby get into. I play a Sesame Street album for him at bathtime, and it contains a lot of songs about toothbrushing that are all in my head now forever.

https://youtu.be/LPle-aDRxh4

A long-running Japanese public broadcast kids show, Okaaaan to Issho (Together With Mom) has a brushing song and segment they do weekly. NHK appears to have nuked the full episodes or segments off YouTube, but the current remix version of the song is done by a famous J-pop group, Perfume.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sheri posted:

And eyes.
I don't really get vision insurance. Opthalmic issues are covered under standard health insurance, and the cost for eye exams/spectacles/contacts is pretty fixed. I did the math and the cost of VSP premiums was essentially the same as an annual exam and a pair of spectacles so it makes sense to carry if you're keeping your prescriptions up to date. But I'm not going to bother adding our kids to a vision plan if (let's be honest, when) they're in glasses.

I guess the main benefit is that insurance premiums aren't taxed.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Does anyone have good resources for what to do about a stubborn 3.5 year old who won’t poop on the potty? She understands what she’s supposed to do, but won’t do it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

:same: to all of this, from Sesame Street being all we allow for TV at this age and having heard the bathtime album every night for months and months and months. This was actually my first favorite song, but I later really got into the reggae "do the rubber duck" song (lots of funny voices especially in the last verses) and the faux Beach Boys number (love those high notes).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

One of the first things my daughter said to me this morning: "I hope the calendar turns to dust."

Hell of an image this early on

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My daughter has started saying ____ upping, like, run upping, fill upping, climb upping. So cute. English is such a loving joke lol.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Welp. My hitherto unreasonably, almost worryingly well-behaved daughter has entered her first rebellious phase. At 4.

The terrible twos were mild on us and now we're in a constant power struggle over the pettiest poo poo and can never know when she'll get into A Mood. Plus she's smarter than at two, harder to distract and remembers things. I do my best not to lose my poo poo but I will admit to having yelled a couple of times. Now we're making a conscious effort to adapt and work on patience and calming techniques, because tbh we haven't had to actually put in work on discipline until now.

I know it'll pass, but gently caress is it driving me up the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Does anyone have good resources for what to do about a stubborn 3.5 year old who won’t poop on the potty? She understands what she’s supposed to do, but won’t do it.
I know a few families who swear by "Oh Crap!" by Jamie Glowacki. I'm sure there are potty books for just your situation too. Maybe check with your pediatrician if they have any favorites, too?

After 2-ish, it's usually something they've got to conquer in their minds. But, once you solve it (and you will solve it), she'll be a lot better at learning how to get over similar stuff. Many of us never master that skill, even as adults, so honestly, it's not a bad thing, just lovely (:cheeky:) at the moment.