Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Motion blur always looks terrible

It's been the least offensive in Q2 though. Good enough that I didn't even notice it was on for most of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Dramicus posted:

Is it just me or is there something off about the motion blur implementation in the Q1 remaster? After having played a load of the Q2 remaster, the motion blur implementation there is quite good, but when I go back to Quake 1 I gotta turn it off. It's not configured the same or something.

You have confused Kaiser, it appears we haven't changed anything about motion blur between Quake1&2.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rocket Pan posted:

You have confused Kaiser, it appears we haven't changed anything about motion blur between Quake1&2.

Maybe it's something weird with my setup, but Q1 has more blur "trails" with something that's not quite but almost stutters (hard to describe) to it while Q2 seems really smooth in comparison. I've got a 6800xt with the 23.7.1 drivers running at 144hz.

If I disable motion blur in Q1 the weird behaviors go away.

Edit: the blur trails almost resemble what you might see on a laptop screen from 1991. They are short, but just long enough to be noticeable. It makes the image look smeared in motion, most noticeable while strafing and turning the mouse at the same time.

None of this happens in Q2, it looks really good.

Edit 2: Just hopped between Q1 and Q2 and yeah, Q1 motion blur has more of a vaseline smear to it in motion and some very slight visual stutter that doesn't seem to be a game stutter. Like the game is not stuttering, but corners of objects are stuttering very slightly as they go by. None of this happens in Q2. I've got all the settings the same in both, the only setting that might be different is Q2 is rendering in vulkan while Q1 doesn't have that option.

https://imgur.com/LTNerMN

It's really clear going back into Q2, none of the smearing or stuttering. It's buttery smooth with a crisp image, even when in full motion.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 17, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The rest of operation corpse run was better, I just really didn’t like that first stage. The moon base was really slick aesthetically even if the level design itself was fairly basic.

Laser Eyes is more my speed so far

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quake 2 64 is pretty tough between all the cramped spaces and berserkers with that lunge attack.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man there is so much content in this Quake 2 remaster, and playing everything on Nightmare has provided a decent level of challenge that's kept me engaged in the process of blasting through these campaigns. I realize the price officially doubled to $10 on Steam when the remaster dropped, but it's still totally worth it. Another A+ Night Dive remaster.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

spongeh posted:

The end of hub screen will tell you if you missed a secret level by giving you a ??? in the map list, so if you didn't see that, you found em!

Great, thanks! Shame that Laser Eyes didn't have a secret level because I thought the design of that one was pretty great and another level would have been neat.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man there is so much content in this Quake 2 remaster, and playing everything on Nightmare has provided a decent level of challenge that's kept me engaged in the process of blasting through these campaigns. I realize the price officially doubled to $10 on Steam when the remaster dropped, but it's still totally worth it. Another A+ Night Dive remaster.

Yeah they REALLY boosted the AI on Nightmare from when I played the vanilla Q2 campaign. Q2 was and always will be my favourite game of all time so seeing it given a fresh lease of life is freakin' epic.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

All the quake talk got me to buy the remaster so I could play the expansions. Scourge has been sick so far.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
AE: Black Labyrinth out tomorrow right? God I'm looking forward to it. I get a strong suspicion it might be the last title I'm interested in that might get a release this year. Cultic ch 2 maybe, but I think Selaco and Beyond Sunset are gonna be next year for sure

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

AE: Black Labyrinth out tomorrow right? God I'm looking forward to it. I get a strong suspicion it might be the last title I'm interested in that might get a release this year. Cultic ch 2 maybe, but I think Selaco and Beyond Sunset are gonna be next year for sure

Robocop game is out next month too, same people that did Terminator: Resistance (which is amazing)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

Robocop game is out next month too, same people that did Terminator: Resistance (which is amazing)

I still gotta play terminator. It’s so annoying the DLC and next gen patch never came to series x

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

While you're at it, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death is a steam bargain classic. I'll sentence myself to 20 years of gaming in the cubes.

So I appreciate an underdog licensed game etc (though that one is by the company that publishes the comic). But that Terminator game looked pretty dull, so I'm a little cautious on this Robocop game. I feel like sometimes they just throw a license at us and we're supposed to clap like a circus seal. Like say all the licensed characters in Mortal Kombat games. I can play as a stiff not too fitting to the game version of uh oh is it Danny Glover from Predator 2? And he's fighting Cyrax? Yippee kay yay, capitalism.

(Hope that Robocop game is charming though.)

And my grognard take, on that Terminator game, I don't like every game having iron sight aiming and we have those same square dot sight thingies every time. Who decided looking at that thing covering half your screen is better than a crosshair. Just have a button to zoom in a bit further. Doom and Doom Eternal get it. Show me the screen, don't cover it with silly tacticool stuff.

That Robocop game's crosshair actually looks respectable though. And they let you zoom in a bit. You know what, this game might be worth it for that alone.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 17, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Terminator Resistance is thoroughly mediocre, don't get baited by the above posts

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Saying that the comics company made a Judge Dredd game is a bit misleading. Rebellion Developments (through its sister company Rebellion Publishing) bought 2000AD comics. Rebellion is probably most notable for making nearly all the AvP games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Terminator Resistance is thoroughly mediocre, don't get baited by the above posts

I played the PC version after it got a load of free updates and it was great. Seems it was very rough at launch though. If you like T2, it's the best game version of the 'future war' segments at the start imo

Edit: also it has the awesome T2 synth soundtrack

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ok Call of the Machine is pretty good. my issues with the first map of Corpse Run aside, Buried Earth and Laser Eyes are great, and one of the other ones I did had nice maziness to it. doing darkest depths next

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Convex posted:

I played the PC version after it got a load of free updates and it was great. Seems it was very rough at launch though. If you like T2, it's the best game version of the 'future war' segments at the start imo
I did not play it at launch, I got it much later and played it too long to refund(about 5 hours), much to my chagrin.
The gunplay is basic and underwhelming, the traversal/level design is very bland, the enemy variety is bad, and the RPG elements are shallow.

If it weren't for Terminator 2 nostalgia nobody would praise this game, and it's not even very good at that because it's a somewhat ugly and, unsurprisingly, very "gamey" version of the future war stuff from T2. Stuff like setpieces where a bunch of human NPCs stand in front of a bunch of Terminators, both just directly shooting each other center mass repeatedly(and the humans outliving the Terminators because they're just scripted to not die) is such a far cry from what Terminator ought to be about that I couldn't possibly recommend it in that context. Not that I would anyways, because whether it's a good videogame is more important than fanservice, and it isn't.

The game has a 60/100 on metacritic, which is not always a good metric but in this case it's what it deserves. If it wasn't for Terminator fans being unbelievably desperate for anything approaching passable in that franchise these days the user score would be about the same.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turbo Overkill can looks pretty at times

(mind you, it looks better on my computer where it isn't compressed in jpeg by imgur...)
It also has surprisingly competent cutscenes, set pieces, and voice acting. Surprised it's mostly a one dev show.

I still have some concerns with the balance and some weapons (what's the difference between the dual uzis and the minigun? same ammo and similar range and rof. Or the dual chainsaw on arms are kinda funny, because they are time limited and only recharged by the chainsaw legs... except the legs can be as good as the arms? and why can you buy and use upgrades to gain extra ammo? this is the kind of game where you NEVER end up without ammo believe me) but still, it seems to me the best FPS of the year.

edit: made a thread for it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039614

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 17, 2023

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Terminator Resistance is enjoyable if you adjust your expectations. Definitely a budget title but fueled by a genuine love for the source material. There's so many little touches and nods to the films including poo poo that no one but a freak of nature like me would notice. For instance, in Kyle's first dream of the future when he goes to sleep in the hotwired car, he signs in on a clipboard when entering the techcom base and then does this little hand wave. Really small movement, and the focus of the shot is more on his chest/face so you don't really notice it. In TR, when you enter the base for the first time, the commander lady you're with does the same hand motion which is easily missable if you aren't looking for it. Made me go :allears:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i had a lot of fun with terminator resistance. a really solid pseudo(mini?) fallout game that aimed for being a budget title and didn't try to over extended itself, with a lot of nods to the material for the fans. definitely would recommend getting it when it's on sale

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Q2: is there any way to turn off the power shield? every time I do from the equipment wheel it just turns back on again after a few seconds and I would really rather use the cells for BFG/hyperblaster stuff.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There a menu option for auto power shield, with always on, full manual, and turning off automatically when you drop down to a few different ammo levels.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Disproportionation posted:

Q2: is there any way to turn off the power shield? every time I do from the equipment wheel it just turns back on again after a few seconds and I would really rather use the cells for BFG/hyperblaster stuff.

It's Auto Power Shield in Gameplay Options.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Turin Turambar posted:

(mind you, it looks better on my computer where it isn't compressed in jpeg by imgur...)
It also has surprisingly competent cutscenes, set pieces, and voice acting. Surprised it's mostly a one dev show.

I still have some concerns with the balance and some weapons (what's the difference between the dual uzis and the minigun? same ammo and similar range and rof. Or the dual chainsaw on arms are kinda funny, because they are time limited and only recharged by the chainsaw legs... except the legs can be as good as the arms? and why can you buy and use upgrades to gain extra ammo? this is the kind of game where you NEVER end up without ammo believe me) but still, it seems to me the best FPS of the year.

The chainsaw arms are shockingly powerful I feel and I'm pretty sure stronger than the legs when you're fighting bigger enemies. They're not particularly useful though and I really only use it for prompted fights. Honestly much like the orbital laser or whatever I forget I have it most of the time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know what I just realized and the rest of you likely already realized ages ago? In the Doom timeline of released games, the first two (D/D II) and the latest two as of this post (2016 and DE) are both 100% canonical and made by id.

But of the two in the middle (D64 and D3), the one made by id isn't canonical, whereas the one made by Midway (in other words, not id) is.

Weird.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know what I just realized and the rest of you likely already realized ages ago? In the Doom timeline of released games, the first two (D/D II) and the latest two as of this post (2016 and DE) are both 100% canonical and made by id.

But of the two in the middle (D64 and D3), the one made by id isn't canonical, whereas the one made by Midway (in other words, not id) is.

Weird.

If you want to get into weird territory, now that all of these are owned by the same entity it's actually possible that Doom, Quake and Rage all take place before/alongside Fallout.

And also Starfield also takes place in the Fallout universe because from what I've seen, Earth isn't habitable. And in Starfield you can go to Mars...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
D3 is canonical, it's just a different Doomguy. Doomfella. Doompal. Doombud.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Turin Turambar posted:

Funny story, it turns out the difficulty of this game has been broken since release. I knew it seemed way too easy, like I always have full health and armor. Dev just released a patch that should fix it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HolyKrap posted:

Funny story, it turns out the difficulty of this game has been broken since release. I knew it seemed way too easy, like I always have full health and armor. Dev just released a patch that should fix it
That's interesting, I was playing on the second hardest difficulty and never once felt like I was even taking any damage (and once I got powerups so that the chainsaw leg refilled my health and armor it only got easier). On the other hand I might have to start over if the difficulty goes up too much.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird.

the last thing Doom needs is canon, loving hated Eternal's ~*lore*~

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

the last thing Doom needs is canon, loving hated Eternal's ~*lore*~

Doom needs canon and by that i mean the story of swift death where Doomguy is fighting through infinite hell torture dimensions should be canonized

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
2016 had the right amount of lore. Skippable text but it was all funny poo poo about doomguy being considered the devil to the demons, who would appear in any dimension (wad) to fight them and win and they were scared shitless of him

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
2016 had mostly the same lore and it was just as stupid, but it was heavily back-loaded so the parts of the game everyone remembers didn't have much. Eternal's lore is fully skippable which is nice. 2016 has some dumb in-engine cutscenes that you have to sit through.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The bits of lore I've seen from Eternal has kinda turned me off of playing it. It feels like Diablo, which also got way too in love with its dumb story.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The real lore of Nu Doom is that whenever someone starts talking to Doomguy about lore, he gets angry and smashes the screen/radio/communicator/etc.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Am I the one guy who loved Doom Eternal's goofy lore and how it delivered it with a straight face

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheScott2K posted:

Am I the one guy who loved Doom Eternal's goofy lore and how it delivered it with a straight face

I didn't love it per say, but it was fine. Heavy metal absurdity that was perfectly appropriate for the franchise. The only parts that are really cringy are when Doomguy speaks (both the act itself and what he says) and the audio logs where that one researcher lady is basically having an orgasm while talking about how cool you are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rip...... *heavy breathing*.... and TEAR!!

I haven't gotten through even half of Doom Eternal yet, but I've seen enough videos and played enough to say to anyone still on the fence: play it. Play it now. Who gives a poo poo about the lore? I wouldn't let that stop you from enjoying a fantastic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I agree a loose canon like a Sergio Leone movie or Evil Dead is cool, everything doesn't need to line up or be explained. But I didn't find Doom Eternal to be too bogged down or anything, pretty entertaining vibe to its story.

In general while not perfect, I think whatever they did was one of the finest FPS games in many years.

Random note, I was watching some Starfield footage, and that'll be fun as its own sandbox Bethesda thingy I'm sure. But I noticed the gunplay of course is just so mindless looking, and so many games are like that. The recent FarCry games, Destiny 2, all these boring realistically scaled space trailers and fields of nothing where you just shoot at a bunch of random mooks. Level design perished a long time ago in triple A FPS games, and the combat doesn't fare much better. Thank the gods we have id.

I enjoy a good open world game, but it's just proven to be a pretty boring mix for the FPS genre. It doesn't play to any of its strengths. Why are we wandering around big open places that have no gameplay or traversal quality or anything? Who knew those make your own house or high school maps would be the future of level design.