Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

oh.... i wonder if that explains why the controller support was never backported also
I think so. Which is unfortunate, I think it means playing on SteamDeck can be a little complicated though I've seen some controller setups posted about.

It also is why the consoles aren't getting the new community-developed game updates: https://www.pcgamer.com/one-of-my-favorite-dandd-videogames-is-still-getting-beefy-updates-after-21-years/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

I think so. Which is unfortunate, I think it means playing on SteamDeck can be a little complicated though I've seen some controller setups posted about.

:(

yeah it's possible to play them on the deck and the navigation and stuff isn't the real problem it's the ui, since it's all built entirely around the mouse. talking to npcs, selecting dialogue options, doing inventory or even just selecting abilities becomes a straining chore when you have to use a stick or trackpad for it

pillars of eternity solved a lot of this by just letting some things (like selection dialogue options) be accessible with keyboard input but none of the old crpgs have that. just allllllll mouse controls all day

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've asked the devs whether there's any prospect of getting console controls ported over in a future update. I'd like it too even though I spend much more time creating stuff using the engine rather than playing the game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
N64 controller is in stock

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-64-controller/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Awesome been looking to snag one of these. Stupid rear end $7 shipping charge…

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You would'nt download a controller

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Vampire Survivors unlocked hell yeah :drac:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Waffle! posted:

Vampire Survivors unlocked hell yeah :drac:

I’ve never played VS or any thing it inspired. I just bought it and will be playing it later this morning. I cashed in my gold coins and got it for nothin! If I like it well enough I might pick up the DLCs later.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The DLC is essential IMHO. It’s an incredible game, don’t listen to anyone who tries to convince you any of its imitators are worth playing, they all stink.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The DLC is essential IMHO. It’s an incredible game, don’t listen to anyone who tries to convince you any of its imitators are worth playing, they all stink.

halls of torment is amazing and if it ever comes to the switch i'm slam-buying it just for the pleasing bone noises

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

It’s the best feeling FPS I’ve ever played on Switch

It looks good and the controls are really sharp for how quick the gameplay is.

If we could just get a port of Unreal Tournament now.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

What makes the DLC essential?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know I played it for like 36 hours with no dlc. The switch version will be the first time I try the dlc

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Can’t recommend A Short Hike enough, it’s very short (like, one or two evenings worth, tops) but it’s insanely chill and charming. The dialogue cracked me up the whole way through, the music is hella vibes, and the ending is startlingly poignant. A Perfect Game imo

This really is a perfect game. I slept on it until earlier this year and I recommend not waiting another moment to play it. It's also one of those rare indie titles that has great controls and game feel

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wildtortilla posted:

What makes the DLC essential?

It is essential you give the dev more money.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

elf help book posted:

This. ☝️

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Actually though the DLC has some levels with structure to them (rather than just infinitely looping map tiles), specific location to check out with treasures and such, with some cool new powers and characters as well. Definitely worth the couple bucks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I played the absolute hell out of vanilla vampire survivors on Steam before the DLC and loved it. I’ve been intentionally holding off on the DLC until there’s a lull in my gaming, just waiting for the right moment. It’s such a fun game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Played just enough Vampire Survivors to unlock Christine, and boy howdy does she suck if you don't have any of the passive unlock powerups to back her up, but I don't care, still my favorite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love Queen Sigma ^^^^^

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If we could just get a port of Unreal Tournament now.

Someone would have to go back in time and un-swirlie the "Forever High School Mad and Petty" Tim Sweeney for that to happen.

Or swirlie him again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TotK Question:

I have 1 sky shrine, by my count, to find. I've looked in all the obvious places, you get to notice what in an archipelago has and doesn't have a shrine on it. There's some random solo islands I'm going to scope out, and I may have a sphere left to check out, but I don't think so. I'm a bit worried it's going to be in one of 2 places: 1 in the storm above Hebra or in the hurricane over Faron. I've found 2 in that hurricane already, without having dispelled the fog, and I don't think there's anything left in the Hebra cloud since it's part of the climb to that temple.

I'll check again nonetheless.

I haven't done any plots aside from Dragon Tears so I was wondering if there's a sky shrine that's plot dependent?

Gonna have to try Vampire Survivors but I didn't see any DLC for sale, is it just added in this version?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

elf help book posted:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Gonna have to try Vampire Survivors but I didn't see any DLC for sale, is it just added in this version?

There is a link to the DLC on the eshop page. I bought the game via my iPhones browser, not sure what it looks like on desk top/eshop app.

Here are links:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/vampire-survivors-legacy-of-the-moonspell-70050000042411-switch/

And

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/vampire-survivors-tides-of-the-foscari-70050000042414-switch/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

TotK Question:

I have 1 sky shrine, by my count, to find. I've looked in all the obvious places, you get to notice what in an archipelago has and doesn't have a shrine on it. There's some random solo islands I'm going to scope out, and I may have a sphere left to check out, but I don't think so. I'm a bit worried it's going to be in one of 2 places: 1 in the storm above Hebra or in the hurricane over Faron. I've found 2 in that hurricane already, without having dispelled the fog, and I don't think there's anything left in the Hebra cloud since it's part of the climb to that temple.

I'll check again nonetheless.

I haven't done any plots aside from Dragon Tears so I was wondering if there's a sky shrine that's plot dependent?

There’s only two in the stormy sky island, not there. The Hebra sky temple climb has two as well.

If you wanna just cheat: https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map/?l=Sky&z=3&x=3026&y=-3000

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 17, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

There’s only two in the stormy sky island, not there. The Hebra sky temple climb has two as well.

If you wanna just cheat: https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map/?l=Sky&z=3&x=3026&y=-3000

Thanks for the clarification. It'll save me some leg-work. I don't want to cheat just yet. I've been teleporting, ever since I decided to free the great fairies, and I feel bad about everything I have yet to see because of it.

My next goal will be caves I think. I've already mapped all the Underworld. This game has way too many things to do. It's certainly better than BotW but I sort of prefer how pared down that game. Like you could go somewhere and not be side-tracked by a dozen things in twenty steps. Just like 4.

Wildtortilla posted:

There is a link to the DLC on the eshop page. I bought the game via my iPhones browser, not sure what it looks like on desk top/eshop app.

Thanks! Had to look for the European pages, but have since found them. Got it sight unseen. I'm trusting all of you on this one. (It's also cheap.)

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 17, 2023

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks for the clarification. It'll save me some leg-work. I don't want to cheat just yet. I've been teleporting, ever since I decided to free the great fairies, and I feel bad about everything I have yet to see because of it.

My next goal will be caves I think. I've already mapped all the Underworld. This game has way too many things to do. It's certainly better than BotW but I sort of prefer how pared down that game. Like you could go somewhere and not be side-tracked by a dozen things in twenty steps. Just like 4.

Thanks! Had to look for the European pages, but have since found them. Got it sight unseen. I'm trusting all of you on this one. (It's also cheap.)

I'm going to say You Do You, but I recommend mainlining at least a few of the Regional Phenomena. Just gives you a few extra tools to utilize before running out of content to really use it on.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chieves posted:

I'm going to say You Do You, but I recommend mainlining at least a few of the Regional Phenomena. Just gives you a few extra tools to utilize before running out of content to really use it on.

That's actually not a bad idea... I'll see.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It would be shocking if you were to regret spending half a somethingawful account on this game.
You may even be the first.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

It would be shocking if you were to regret spending half a somethingawful account on this game.
You may even be the first.

I think there's been one or two thread recommendations that I regretted. Not many though. It's a good place for suggestions. I know Darkest Dungeons was one. The gameplay was maybe too granular or something but I left unimpressed and just sort of confused by the experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

It’s this

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Found the last shrine. It was in a sphere I had overlooked. Whew. Glad that search didn't take too long. I wanted to get some gear out the castle, and then I will do. the. plot!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think there's been one or two thread recommendations that I regretted. Not many though. It's a good place for suggestions. I know Darkest Dungeons was one. The gameplay was maybe too granular or something but I left unimpressed and just sort of confused by the experience.

It was a bit too repetitive/punishing for my tastes. Turn based combat that is a little too hardcore wears me down because at the end of the day I'm playing Menu Options the Game except most options get you killed.

That and the tiny text made me loss interest fast. Neat aesthetics though

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Darkest dungeon is the kind of game that people really love if they enjoy it, or else bounce pretty hard off. (it was one of the games that helped me understand and accept I don't enjoy difficulty any more)
Vampire Survivors is much more stripped down, simple, push those psych buttons that most people have, leading them to enjoy exciting sounds, bright lights, and other things core to "oooh, shiny" and "whoa cool 'splosions!" responses.
Highly tuned slot machine display and reward loop with only a one time wager.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There is a lot to object to in Darkest Dungeon, I wouldnt take bouncing off of it as evidence that you don't enjoy difficulty as a concept. You can watch the half hour joseph anderson review if you want revenge on the game for the bad time it gave you: https://youtu.be/_Buwei6ZWqU

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 17, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No, it's not proof on its own, but part of a larger group of indications.
Shmups from the 90's and some twin stick shooters are my exceptions.
I'll keep dieing in Gunbird2 forever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i love everything about darkest dungeon except playing it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i hate everything about darkest dungeon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

i love everything about darkest dungeon

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

B33rChiller posted:

No, it's not proof on its own, but part of a larger group of indications.
Shmups from the 90's and some twin stick shooters are my exceptions.
I'll keep dieing in Gunbird2 forever.

Psikyo shooters are so goddamn hard while not even looking that hard. And they're all, somehow, still so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I enjoyed darkest dungeon a lot but the expansion was described to me as additional misery, with a constant boot on your throat so I skipped it