Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ironhead posted:

This sounds pretty rad.

Didn't George Miller just pass away earlier this year? I wonder how that will affect the Furiosa movie.

Don’t put this poo poo out into the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Whoa poo poo my bad, apparently there is another director George T. Miller who died earlier this year, in Australia, at the age of 79.

He directed The Never Ending Story II, apparently, which I'd never heard of.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ironhead posted:

He directed The Never Ending Story II, apparently, which I'd never heard of.
It's a very bad sequel that I loved as a kid. But I think the later sequels are far worse

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I loving hate John Wick and it is in no small part thanks to goons.

I remember posts like "hey guys, just watched the apartment fight again in slow mo and yeah, he does always shoot them twice in the head! First I was confused because the Beretta MHVUGG9x only has a 9 round mag but he has one in the chamber so he can shoot 5 guys twice in the head. Im loving rock hard wathching people get killed and I've got precum dripping on the floor but I'm waiting for the one handed shotgun reload part. He really trained in spetznatz CQC and progressive shootmans and it shows, when I dream of shooting a bunch of guys I would definitely wear my long arm sexily swinging on my back just like that and gripping my making my pistol cu shoot cum b oh poo poo its the one handwd shotgun relo

Now he stabved somre guy, what a mensch!

Ps. They used cgi in some of the head shooting but thankfully it was competent and artistic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sir this is an Arby’s

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

W424 posted:

I remember posts like "hey guys, just watched the apartment fight again in slow mo and yeah, he does always shoot them twice in the head! First I was confused because the Beretta MHVUGG9x only has a 9 round mag but he has one in the chamber so he can shoot 5 guys twice in the head. Im loving rock hard wathching people get killed and I've got precum dripping on the floor but I'm waiting for the one handed shotgun reload part. He really trained in spetznatz CQC and progressive shootmans and it shows, when I dream of shooting a bunch of guys I would definitely wear my long arm sexily swinging on my back just like that and gripping my making my pistol cu shoot cum b oh poo poo its the one handwd shotgun relo

Ps. They used cgi in some of the head shooting but thankfully it was competent and artistic.

That's cool, see any good streaming movies lately

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

the raid is one of my favorites too, op. if you enjoy Joe taslim (the sergeant in the movie) make sure you’re watching warrior on MAX, which is just a good show by any metric but also features him destroying guys a few times a season

I also always figured dredd ripped it off. they were independently made???

It was the opposite. Dredd was in production for like a year before the Raid was, so the theory was that the people who made the Raid got a hold of the script and ripped it off.

Alex Garland wrote the script for (and possibly shadow directed) Dredd and given that dude's track record, I think the chances of him wholesale ripping off some Indonesian film are pretty much zero.

In reality I think it was probably just a big coincidence. Dredd is so much better than the Raid though.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Imagine they made Mad Max 3 but instead of the movie they made they went really big on the Humongousverse. Instead of Beyond Thunderdome we got Revenge of Brother Humongous, and this fake sequel told you how Lord Humongous lost his hair, why he has that family picture in his revolver case, what the story was on Wez's boyfriend, all that poo poo. And when people said "I'm not sure that we needed to know all that, I would have just preferred more Mad Max adventures with different villains" we were told "well, no actually. You see, all that stuff is required for Mad Max to stay relevant is that they have to keep expanding the world. You need to know about the origin of the razor boomerang and the Council of Humongouses and we needed scenes of Duke Humongous talking with Lady Humongous and Lil' Humongous about what to do about this upstart Mad Max" and it's like, no. That's definitely a choice but not the only choice. You don't need that at all. That is not the only direction you could take this story. And they didn't!

That's why George Miller is the man I guess.

This is my complaint about Better Call Saul, that's it's far too obsessed with explaining things, but I seem to be alone in that

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

W424 posted:

I agree with this sentiment because I also remember goons being weird about it and I personally find the meticulous executions of mooks performed by John Wick off-putting. He's like a reverse Batman whose rule is to always kill.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

W424 posted:

Yeah, me too. I refuse to trust goon movie taste after the glowing praise for The Decent.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Well the name should've tipped you off not to get your hopes too high so that's on you

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

nonathlon posted:

This is my complaint about Better Call Saul, that's it's far too obsessed with explaining things, but I seem to be alone in that

This was my main problem with BCS, learning the logistics of the underground super lab and how Hector ended up in a wheelchair and why Mike technically works for both of them etc etc was much less interesting than the lawyer drama that was the other half of the show

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fury Roads editing is magic and against trends

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

toggle posted:

Yeah, me too. I refuse to trust goon movie taste after the glowing praise for The Decent.

The Descent is cool as hell, I saw it in a theater. Claustrophobic and scary. I know we got the dumb ending in the USA but still. I hear the sequels are baaaad

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Descent is cool as hell, I saw it in a theater. Claustrophobic and scary. I know we got the dumb ending in the USA but still. I hear the sequels are baaaad

Never been more scared in my life than watching it in a theater. Needed a good hour afterward to feel ok again

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, to believe Dredd or The Raid ripped each other off you have to ignore that 1. Kowloon City was a real place that has inspired tons of similar stories and 2. Shooting in a single apartment complex is a great way to stretch your production budget.

I like both but Raid gets a higher mark for me because it's practically a horror movie with martial arts and seeing it in a packed theater at Sundance was the highlight of the festival for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Raid also has an all-timer showdown between Mad Dog and Rama/Andi. Dredd doesn't have anything that really matches up to that scene.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah. I'll put Dredd over Raid 2 though. I know people loved that but a lot of the magic for me of the original was the single location and how tight and restrained it all was and honestly it just goes full cartoonish in a way that wasn't really that fun for me (baseball bat guy and hammer girl are just corny and parts of their fights don't even look that great) and felt like more of just a conventional action film or some kind of Joe Carnahan bullshit where they just got more money to work with

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

The Raid also has an all-timer showdown between Mad Dog and Rama/Andi. Dredd doesn't have anything that really matches up to that scene.

Yeah this plus Joe taslim, it’s impossible to defeat

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Joe Taslim's eyebrows need their own movie. Those suckers rock.

Seriously, tho: The Raid leads directly to John Wick. Dredd is a good flick but one of the things that hurt it is that most of the fights aren't fights, they are one sided slaughters - cool to watch once, but a rewatch is pretty dull.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Idk, I’ve seen dredd like 25 times probably. Rewatchability is high. The raid is good but I like dredd way way more

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Same but legend of the drunken master 2

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah. I'll put Dredd over Raid 2 though. I know people loved that but a lot of the magic for me of the original was the single location and how tight and restrained it all was and honestly it just goes full cartoonish in a way that wasn't really that fun for me (baseball bat guy and hammer girl are just corny and parts of their fights don't even look that great) and felt like more of just a conventional action film or some kind of Joe Carnahan bullshit where they just got more money to work with
Yeah, it's not like the action in The Raid is perfectly realistic, but the sequel is a much more conventional modern-day kung fu flick with zany themed assassins and one-on-one standoffs. The original created a believable context for this guy forced to Silat his way through a building full of machete-wielding street thugs, and the second has a cool guy who kills people with baseballs. It feels straight out of a grisly-but-silly manga, and on that basis it's still worth a watch, IMO.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 17, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Same but legend of the drunken master 2

that was a primo movie theater experience

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing that Dredd does have over Raid is an absolutely loving balling soundtrack, though. It worked really well at setting the tone and mood, and stood out as very memorable. Raid's soundtrack was decent as far as I remember, but not on that level.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah and tbf Raid could've some fictional drugs those are always fun
It's called SPEW, man, the latest stuff on the street...it makes you SEE ANOTHER WORLD

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can definitely understand why someone might prefer Dredd to The Raid, if you're into sci-fi then it has that element going for it. You're in this weird dystopian world so it's more fun from a production design standpoint and it has a lot of good worldbuilding to it. The Raid is obviously not that kind of movie.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 17, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah and tbf Raid could've some fictional drugs those are always fun
It's called SPEW, man, the latest stuff on the street...it makes you SEE ANOTHER WORLD

Also magic guns and a psychic

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've rewatched Dredd to because Karl Urban's glower and line reads are top shelf action hero poo poo and the production design does indeed rock - plus the actual action scenes are competent and fun. It really is a shame we never got more of that; I cannot believe that during that pre-COVID period where these streaming services were throwing 100 million at anything that moved we didn't get another Dredd, preferably a 10 episode case-an-episode actionfest with a rotating cast of sidekicks that get murdered or instantly promoted if they survive and the occasional appearance by Thirlby (or even the whole "an episode built around this character" with a different tone to the main series).

(for whatever reason, I'm spending a lot of posts in this thread lamenting what could have been. Alas.)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 17, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Shankar gave us castlevania and I consider that a good enough consolation prize

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dredd is the superior film because Karl Urban is dreamy, even under the helmet.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Sexualizing a Judge, punishment: Death.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Raid 2 has this hilarious over the top deleted scene and that rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_Qhmiz40E

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheMopeSquad posted:

Sexualizing a Judge, punishment: Death.

Come on, he's a fascist cop but he's shown to be at least a little lenient. It would be six months hard labor cleaning the isocubes.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Basebf555 posted:

I can definitely understand why someone might prefer Dredd to The Raid, if you're into sci-fi then it has that element going for it. You're in this weird dystopian world so it's more fun from a production design standpoint and it has a lot of good worldbuilding to it. The Raid is obviously not that kind of movie.

I don't think it's really fair to compare the two movies and from what I remember the Raid was set like it was to save money because Gareth Evans wasnt well known but always wanted to direct action movies so he found some crazy Indonesian stunt team and designed a movie around them. It was just a coincidence they came out close to each other

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 17, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dredd wins over The Raid because it takes place in the future and that is cool and good

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mama is a solid villain as well

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

feedmyleg posted:

Dredd wins over The Raid because it takes place in the future and that is cool and good

I saw the movie and I'm not sure I agree the future is cool and good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dunno slo mo looks badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No the real future is uncool and bad but movies about the future are cool and good