Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
At 500 points you could take a single Cerastus Knight and its a valid army, which yeah I imagine other 500 point lists would have serious trouble with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
500 points only really works if the players work together while listbuilding to create forces that are somewhat balanced against each other. Even then it's usually still pretty skewed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are any of the combat patrols reckoned to be much worse than the others? I know the AdMech box is much fewer points than some others, but did they address that with the special rules?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Thousand sons notoriously hate their combat patrol, but I don’t know how it’s rules hold up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ugh, yeah, have fun playing; introductory 40k as the Tzangore faction.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are any of the combat patrols reckoned to be much worse than the others? I know the AdMech box is much fewer points than some others, but did they address that with the special rules?

I don't know that there's much analysis of the various patrols but they definitely vary in power pretty widely and I don't think that any of them have extra rules to compensate. Closest I can think of is that the Space Marine patrol doesn't have any Battleline units so they have to spend a CP for sticky objectives but that feels more like insult to injury rather than compensation to me. Match ups really seem to make a huge difference too, I've only played Grey Knights into Tyranids and Space Marines and while I'm 0 for 3 those two match ups are wildly different; 'nids have a hard time killing GKs but have so much loving board presence it's almost impossible to out-scenario them and taking out all their numbers is really challenging. I'm getting closer and closer buying another Patrol box already (I should wait until I get my army at least basecoated but isn't that the very essence of wargaming) just to see how differently they play.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Playing against the Eldar CP's functionally unkillable wraithlord and Farseer/Guardian/Starcannon blob overwatching on a 4+ for free every turn on top of fate dice felt pretty bad tbh

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd thought the specific Combat Patrol game mode made each box into a bespoke list with special rules, so that they were balanced? So you could give the weaker boxes special buffs?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That was the stated intent and theory but I'd imagine saying you're doing it and actually doing it are pretty different. It sounds to me like it's mostly fine for buying a box of stuff, building it and getting in some quick games which is probably good enough, maybe if they revisit it they could hammer it into something more long term.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd thought the specific Combat Patrol game mode made each box into a bespoke list with special rules, so that they were balanced? So you could give the weaker boxes special buffs?

Most of the boxes were put together long before Combat Patrol was even conceived of as a separate game mode. They weren't designed to be balanced at all. The Necrons one was so bad, they gave us a new one on paper at the start of 10th because the boxed one would be virtually unusable.

Thousand Sons is one of the worst. 20 Tzaangor, 5 Scarabs , and an Infernal Master that can't embed in either of them.

Necrons is very strong, thanks to the Doomstalker. It's an answer for anything that few Patrols have an answer for themselves.

Eldar is also very strong, for similar reasons.

rantmo posted:

Yeah that's the bit that they're just not going to be able to overcome without releasing new boxes for every faction, which would be a pain in the rear end but also not the worst idea in the world.

Can almost guarantee there's going to be a new Combat Patrol box with each new codex. Or close to it.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 17, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Devorum posted:

Most of the boxes were put together long before Combat Patrol was even conceived of as a separate game mode. They weren't designed to be balanced at all.

Yeah that's the bit that they're just not going to be able to overcome without releasing new boxes for every faction, which would be a pain in the rear end but also not the worst idea in the world.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I asked this in the painting thread, but does anyone have any space Sicarian Ruststalker heads (the dome ones that look like Pit Droid heads) spare to buy or trade? I have a constant need for them and they're starting to get hard to find on ebay and bits sites.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I guess I just thought they were going to use custom data sheets or something to make them more balanced. Or special rules like off board fire support, or respawning units when they're destroyed l, etc. Because like everyone is saying, the boxes were never meant to fight each other.

I mean, doesn't the Dark Angels dreadnaught have a Redemptor Dreadnaught??

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, many of the datasheets are modified but mostly by way of removing/simplifying but they can't go too too far with it or they lose the utility of mode being a useful introduction to full 40k.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I guess I just thought they were going to use custom data sheets or something to make them more balanced. Or special rules like off board fire support, or respawning units when they're destroyed l, etc. Because like everyone is saying, the boxes were never meant to fight each other.

I mean, doesn't the Dark Angels dreadnaught have a Redemptor Dreadnaught??

And inceptors, who are supposed to be ran as bolt inceptors for the combat patrol

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

smug jeebus posted:

Playing against the Eldar CP's functionally unkillable wraithlord and Farseer/Guardian/Starcannon blob overwatching on a 4+ for free every turn on top of fate dice felt pretty bad tbh

I've played my Sisters of Battle Adepta Sororitas patrol into that and it was brutal, the only things I have that can potentially kill a Wraithlord are a tiny squad of Repentia and the Penitent Engine, both of which need a good spike and the Eldar player can remove with relative ease. After that it's just mopping up and punishing me any time I move. Similar issues playing into any of the patrols that have a solid vehicle of monster, unless I'm lucky enough for the Penitent to hit with force I probably can't remove the Deffdread or Dreadnought with the remaining units.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Devorum posted:

Can almost guarantee there's going to be a new Combat Patrol box with each new codex. Or close to it.

I loving hope so

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I know they explicitly want to make vehicles tougher and more desirable to play, which is why meltas didn't get a proportional S increase to keep up, but it seems like several armies like Sisters and Death Guard and so on really struggle with them. Would bumping meltas up to S10 or 12 to keep on par with lascannons really make vehicles so much worse?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know they explicitly want to make vehicles tougher and more desirable to play, which is why meltas didn't get a proportional S increase to keep up, but it seems like several armies like Sisters and Death Guard and so on really struggle with them. Would bumping meltas up to S10 or 12 to keep on par with lascannons really make vehicles so much worse?

The suggestion I've seen that I like was making melta +strength alongside +damage so it's easier to wound when it gets in close. The problem is accessibility - there are enough full meltagun units that making them better boosts those units up a lot, but leaving them toned down keeps a single meltagun in a squad pretty anemic.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Keep them the same str but add anti-vehicle 4+ for the regular melta and 3+ for the multi

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Keep them the same str but add anti-vehicle 4+ for the regular melta and 3+ for the multi

That would work if there weren't units that could take enough Meltas to delete 2 Questoris Knights in a single turn with those rules.

3 Retributor squads could table any vehicle army.

It's a common GW issue with a lot of weapons.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Devorum posted:

That would work if there weren't units that could take enough Meltas to delete 2 Questoris Knights in a single turn with those rules.

3 Retributor squads could table any vehicle army.

It's a common GW issue with a lot of weapons.

Good. gently caress imperial knights.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Many of the dedicated melta units do get access to wound rerolls to help with this. Sometimes it's built-in (Eradicators & Retributors) and other times it's linked to the transport they'll likely be in (Fire Dragons & Retributors).

It sucks for all of the other melta weapons without that crutch, though.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Good. gently caress imperial knights.

Give Railguns anti-titanic :getin:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I think that's the real issue with weapon design in 40k: if some units have one of something per five or ten models, and other units have every model equipped with it, that's just a very different prospect. Like, even a Devastator squad is 4 of them, not 5 and certainly not 10.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Good news, with all units having their own snowflake meltaguns GW can just pick and choose where to make adjustments.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I actually doubt melta would be that oppressive even if it got str 12 or anti-vehicle 4+ or something. For one thing, Grav already has anti-vehicle 2+ now, 3 shots a gun at damage 3 too, and that’s not breaking the game in half. (That’s probably a function of AP1, though.)

With melta down to 18” range, it can no longer do full damage out of reserves or deep strike - which is going to pretty significantly curtail its performance. It was that range nerf, plus now needing 5s to wound anything bigger than a Rhino, plus Eradicators losing double shooting, that just effectively removed melta from the game for the time being.

I think they should consider removing at least one of those nerfs, at the very least for Sisters who have no other anti-tank in an edition where everyone needs it.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
After a decade-long break, I'm trying to get back into 40k. I was never that deep into it in the first place, though. I have a few questions.

First, which rules do I need to start playing? In the old days, you bought the big central rule book, a codex, and then you built your army from a point budget. There seems to be more options now. I found some index cards for the various armies with unit stats and rules, but no point costs. What's going on here?

Second, I bought some models (custodes, while my wife got harlequins) and a whole bunch of painting supplies. Obviously, since I'm only five models in, my results are still awful, but I remember the basics from my last attempt, and I've watched videos and read guides and so on. Is there a place I can get feedback and suggestions for how to improve? There is a painting thread in this forum, but it seems to mostly be really experienced painters sharing their work, and I'm wondering if there's a better place to discuss basics.

My immediate goal is to have a (small) fully painted army (to a tolerable standard) and play a full game. My previous efforts never quite managed to reach that level. I have an acquaintance who has been in the hobby for years and has a huge Imperial Guard tank army, so it's just up to me to get an army assembled so he can crush it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Athas posted:

After a decade-long break, I'm trying to get back into 40k. I was never that deep into it in the first place, though. I have a few questions.

First, which rules do I need to start playing? In the old days, you bought the big central rule book, a codex, and then you built your army from a point budget. There seems to be more options now. I found some index cards for the various armies with unit stats and rules, but no point costs. What's going on here?

So the core rules are free and available here and the points are in the Munitorium Field Manual document. All the actual army rules and stats can be found in the various indexes which are all here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000-downloads/

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Coldbird posted:

I actually doubt melta would be that oppressive even if it got str 12 or anti-vehicle 4+ or something. For one thing, Grav already has anti-vehicle 2+ now, 3 shots a gun at damage 3 too, and that’s not breaking the game in half. (That’s probably a function of AP1, though.)

With melta down to 18” range, it can no longer do full damage out of reserves or deep strike - which is going to pretty significantly curtail its performance. It was that range nerf, plus now needing 5s to wound anything bigger than a Rhino, plus Eradicators losing double shooting, that just effectively removed melta from the game for the time being.

I think they should consider removing at least one of those nerfs, at the very least for Sisters who have no other anti-tank in an edition where everyone needs it.

Ministorum Meltas all get +6" range. Give me 12" inferno pistols on Sephyrim, you cowards.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Spanish Manlove posted:

gently caress imperial knights.

if you can fill any of those exhaust ports more power to ya

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you can't spell "Throne Mechanicum" without, etc.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

rantmo posted:

I don't know that there's much analysis of the various patrols but they definitely vary in power pretty widely and I don't think that any of them have extra rules to compensate. Closest I can think of is that the Space Marine patrol doesn't have any Battleline units so they have to spend a CP for sticky objectives but that feels more like insult to injury rather than compensation to me. Match ups really seem to make a huge difference too, I've only played Grey Knights into Tyranids and Space Marines and while I'm 0 for 3 those two match ups are wildly different; 'nids have a hard time killing GKs but have so much loving board presence it's almost impossible to out-scenario them and taking out all their numbers is really challenging. I'm getting closer and closer buying another Patrol box already (I should wait until I get my army at least basecoated but isn't that the very essence of wargaming) just to see how differently they play.

Each faction has special rules and strategems to compensate for the differences in points the combat patrol boxes have. The game uses all the same 40k rules, but has different datasheets with different keywords and abilities than the same units have in 40k. It is far from perfect though.

I have guard, which I think is the lowest points? However, I can bring back my infantry units for 1cp, and my orders apply to all my units, to name two of many pretty decent abilities. I think that works well and plays super thematically. I've got an officer and heavy guns towards the back, and I'm just directing waves of infanty into problems.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

Each faction has special rules and strategems to compensate for the differences in points the combat patrol boxes have.

One of the problems is that the stratagems and rules can't really fix the problems with some of the patrols, especially in terms of board presence. I'm not sure the missions are helping either but I'm also not sure how you could build a 40k mission at that scale that didn't exacerbate such fundamental problems.

Virtual Russian posted:

I have guard, which I think is the lowest points?

Second lowest at 385. Deathwatch is only worth 335.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is there a good way to post lists?

DKoK One (945 points)
Astra Militarum
Incursion (1000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTER

Death Korps Marshal (60 points)
• Warlord
• 1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon

BATTLELINE

Death Korps of Krieg (130 points)
• 2x Death Korps Watchmaster
• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
• 18x Death Korps Trooper
• 18x Close combat weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
15x Lasgun
2x Meltagun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Chainsword
1x Plasma pistol
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
1x Flamer
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Sniper rifle
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
2x Grenade launcher
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

OTHER DATASHEETS

Armoured Sentinels (140 points)
• 2x Armoured Sentinel
• 2x Close combat weapon
2x Hunter-killer missile
2x Militarum multi-laser
2x Sentinel chainsaw

Earthshaker Carriage Battery (80 points)
• 1x Battery close combat weapons
1x Earthshaker cannon

Earthshaker Carriage Battery (80 points)
• 1x Battery close combat weapons
1x Earthshaker cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank (195 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
2x Heavy flamer
1x Heavy stubber
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Lascannon
1x Leman Russ battle cannon

How's this?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Suggestion -

The carriage battery is a forgeworld only offering - though you can get proxies for it.

If you're just starting out, I would suggest avoiding forgeworld units, as they're likely to be dropped from future codexes.

I would try to stick to units that are on standard indexes, so the units you buy now are still playable in future editions.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Suggestion -

The carriage battery is a forgeworld only offering - though you can get proxies for it.

If you're just starting out, I would suggest avoiding forgeworld units, as they're likely to be dropped from future codexes.

I would try to stick to units that are on standard indexes, so the units you buy now are still playable in future editions.
But..... Big gun..

Big gun cool!!

Okay replace it with.. field ordinance batteries maybe?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Athas posted:

lol I posted a giant OP about this...

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Okay feeling better about this!

DKoK One (980 points)
Astra Militarum
Incursion (1000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (75 points)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• Warlord
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
• Enhancement: Grand Strategist
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close combat weapon
4x Lasgun
4x Laspistol
1x Master Vox
1x Medi-pack
1x Regimental Standard
• 1x Veteran Heavy Weapons Team
• 1x Close combat weapon
1x Heavy bolter
1x Laspistol

BATTLELINE

• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
15x Lasgun
2x Meltagun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Chainsword
1x Plasma pistol
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
1x Flamer
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Sniper rifle
1x Vox-caster

• 1x Laspistol
1x Plasma pistol
1x Power weapon
1x Death Korps Medi-pack
2x Grenade launcher
15x Lasgun
1x Plasma gun
1x Vox-caster

OTHER DATASHEETS

Armoured Sentinels (210 points)
• 3x Armoured Sentinel
• 2x Close combat weapon
2x Hunter-killer missile
2x Militarum multi-laser
2x Sentinel chainsaw

Leman Russ Battle Tank (195 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
2x Heavy flamer
1x Heavy stubber
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Lascannon
1x Leman Russ battle cannon

Wyvern (110 points)
• 1x Armoured tracks
1x Heavy bolter
1x Hunter-killer missile
1x Wyvern quad stormshard mortar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if you're gonna bring armored sentinels, always lascannon. they hunt big game and it's the only relevant option.

scout sentinels are also a really good unit to have, too, and can work with lascannon, plasma, or flamers. the weapons are easy to magnetize.

you probably want another infantry character, just for more orders. DK marshals are very good, as is ursula, but another command squad is fine. long-term you're gonna want leontus.

you're going to want a demolisher as your first leman russ, probably played as a tank commander. it does better as a push unit, it just does more damage to everything, and as a tank commander, can give itself orders. the weapon is not hard to magnetize.

speaking of, generally go all flamers on a russ for overwatch, or else switch for more useful guns (pretty much anything else). heavy bolters are probably the iffiest choice after flamers and you only want plasma cannon on a non-commander demolisher.

mortar heavy weapon squads are more efficient than wyverns. wyverns are cool but not so cool it's a good idea to pay twice as much for so much less gun.