Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

beep by grandpa posted:

i watched Oppenheimer a few weeks ago and it sent me on this deep dive all month reading up/watchin lots of videos about historic WW2 battles and history and it's given me real bad itch to play Battlefield 1942 again seeing all the familiar vehicles i spent many many hours in as a teenager.

Is there any legal place to buy it digitally or do I have to go dig up that 8 cd-rom spindle i bought in 2004 or is the only way now to find a place less legally?(not asking where) I'm not interested in mp, private servers or anything, I just wanna gently caress around with bots and blow up nazis from the sky and listen to the sick main menu music

The bf42 servers went offline in 2014 apparently. As an alternative you can try the WW2 mod called Forgotten Hope for battlefield 2 that is updated last I checked.
Also there's Battlefield V, which has less focus on vehicles, but it's much more recent.

Maybe you just need to see that sick rear end intro movie on YouTube. That's what I'm gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Voice chat in video games is probably the single biggest social engineering disaster since the creation of the American suburb.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

Voice chat in video games is probably the single biggest social engineering disaster since the creation of the American suburb.

Even bigger than social media?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

voice chat is social media

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Voice chat came first.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Remote Ridicule was already there, with voices!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

It's fine but you need a game that's not too serious about the competition so people's brains don't break. And ideally community servers with actual moderators who can kick people for being little shits. Every game being random ranked matchmaking 6v6 nonsense ruined voice chat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's fine but you need a game that's not too serious about the competition so people's brains don't break. And ideally community servers with actual moderators who can kick people for being little shits. Every game being random ranked matchmaking 6v6 nonsense ruined voice chat.

Spoken like someone who was never called the n word by a twelve year old in Halo 2

It was always terrible

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Metal Gear Solid V just kinda... keeps going past what would seem the obvious ending, and so you basically just choose to stop playing, and the introductory level is painfully tedious to have to replay if you ever wanted to start a new game.... but holy poo poo it is so much loving fun to play once you get into the game proper.

My issue is that it doesn't go to an obvious ending ever, it never feels complete. I consider it the greatest incomplete game I have ever played.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I appreciate that a large part of V's story was essentially a way to address the first plot hole the series ever had way back in Metal Gear 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it always comes back to the poisonous Zanzibar hamsters

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The finale being an abridged remake of Metal Gear could have been cool. Have Hayter come back maybe fight Dirty Duck or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Remember Xbox Uno with video chat in game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RBA Starblade posted:

Spoken like someone who was never called the n word by a twelve year old in Halo 2

It was always terrible

TF2 was fine maybe xbox players just suck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

TF2 was fine maybe xbox players just suck

No lol, I never played that in open comms unless I wanted the same

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
someone called me an aids ridden fa**** because I wore the iPod headphones in TF2, it was pretty funny how mad he was

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

someone called me an aids ridden fa**** because I wore the iPod headphones in TF2, it was pretty funny how mad he was

The best was wearing the angel halo "I didn't cheat" hat or whatever it was

That one super pissed people off

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as someone who preordered Brink i still remember that the hat i got for it was called "Genuine Anger"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

no my xbox didn't have uno

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dabir posted:

no my xbox didn't have uno

mods?????

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Getting called slurs by tilted 12 year olds isn't good but at least it basically falls into the category of trash talk and is easily forgotten. When I played Overwatch I regularly got called stuff like "human garbage" and "worthless" by members of my own team, on one occasion by an IRL friend of a friend. The rise of "casual competitive" gaming is really the crux of the problem, not voice chat itself. Ironically Call of Duty is probably the place where I've experienced that the least. Nobody seems to give a poo poo if you're playing the correct meta or whatever in casual CoD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How could I forget, it came free with my Xbox!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

People do get extremely mad if you don't play gun game in CoD and instead play knife game though, it's a lot of fun

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Playing multiplayer games wrong is often a good time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah "casual competitive" is a thing, routinely the biggest assholes i've seen in competitive games are the people who don't actually want to put in the effort to improve, but still want to trash-talk and complain all the time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Volte posted:

Getting called slurs by tilted 12 year olds isn't good but at least it basically falls into the category of trash talk and is easily forgotten. When I played Overwatch I regularly got called stuff like "human garbage" and "worthless" by members of my own team, on one occasion by an IRL friend of a friend. The rise of "casual competitive" gaming is really the crux of the problem, not voice chat itself. Ironically Call of Duty is probably the place where I've experienced that the least. Nobody seems to give a poo poo if you're playing the correct meta or whatever in casual CoD.

I bet you use the fuckin noob tube

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

It was always terrible

Destiny made a lot of mistakes but the best thing it ever did was cutting off public voice. Bungie were the ones who created this problem so it's poetic that only they could dare to kill it

(A vocal minority of the community kept demanding public voice, so they eventually added it but made it opt-in so almost nobody uses it)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The newer Battlefield games innovated online communication for the better by allowing you to turn of all chat, including text .

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bone emulator posted:

The newer Battlefield games innovated online communication for the better by allowing you to turn of all chat, including text .

I want this but only if there's a way to have someone who's trying to poo poo-talk you get a notice that you're ignoring them.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Rainbow Six Siege is one of my favorite multiplayer games ever because--when everyone on your team is firing on all cylinders and giving unique and nuanced calls to each other--working as a well-oiled, tactical machine in that game is one of the best feelings ever.

But all it takes is one single rear end in a top hat who just wants to blame everything going on wrong on everyone else and it makes you feel like you're being held hostage by a 14-year-old from the early 2010s. I pretty much only play that game if I have 2 or more irl friends in my squad with me for that reason lol.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoy the proximity voice chat in Warzone 2 because a ton of people have open mics so you can hear when someone is nearby and use that information to kill them + hear their reaction to getting killed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One time a guy called me a pussy for not fighting like a man (I ran him over with a truck)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Srice posted:

One time a guy called me a pussy for not fighting like a man (I ran him over with a truck)

you own

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Srice posted:

what did you do in the game tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hitting someone with a truck is just about the manliest thing there is

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I still remember the two games I purchased from the Xbox Arcade.

Geometry Wars and Geo Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Y'all ready for Skull and Bones to be the video game equivalent of Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

hitting someone with a truck is just about the manliest thing there is

unless the game has a way to weaponize heart disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

External Organs posted:

Y'all ready for Skull and Bones to be the video game equivalent of Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time?

...famous mostly for being impenetrably long?