Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
y'all trying to nitpick as if you don't see my point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Nice!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

y'all trying to nitpick as if you don't see my point

I'm not nitpicking. A professional, unemotional suicide bomber is a very new thing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just think out terrifying (and effective) the kamikaze campaign of Okinawa would have been if they could have gathered all the pilots up after a fight, conducted an AAR and tried again.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Just think out terrifying (and effective) the kamikaze campaign of Okinawa would have been if they could have gathered all the pilots up after a fight, conducted an AAR and tried again.

Cyber-punk necromacner poo poo.

I mean, drone directed SVBIEDs were, and are, used to great effect in the Middle East. Recon and controllers learn very well from the successes and failures of the suicide jockeys.

May I recommend Hugo Kaaman for further reading?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Think of it like kamikazes or suicide bombers who get to learn from the experience. It's human decisionmaking strapped to the nose of a bomb without making the guidance system a part of the munition.

Yeah imagine if they did that during the cold war, they'd need to have the weapon rapidly unspool a continuous 'wire' behind it multiple kilometers in length as a sort of 'guidance' for the operator to look at the weapon's sensors and control it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Yeah imagine if they did that during the cold war, they'd need to have the weapon rapidly unspool a continuous 'wire' behind it multiple kilometers in length as a sort of 'guidance' for the operator to look at the weapon's sensors and control it.

You can shoot back at the TOW operator. You have to select your target before you use a TOW. You have almost no window to select a new target. You are not as clever as you think you are.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Could it be towed behind a vehicle?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

:thejoke:

Imagine that they kept the wire, but slaved tracking to a flare on the rear end-end of the ordinance. All the soldier had to do was keep crosshair on target. Nothing fancy. Fire your big rear end missile and wait, while everyone doesn't wait on you.

I've never heard such vitriol directed towards equipment as I've heard about the Dragon. Bitching, yes. Straight up distrust in the thing, not so much.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Skanky Burns posted:

Quit complaining and drink your soycaf latte. The future is now.
I always complain after hitting the buffet at to You Should Not Eat So Much! I can only blame myself. It's right there in the name!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

madeintaipei posted:

:thejoke:

Imagine that they kept the wire, but slaved tracking to a flare on the rear end-end of the ordinance. All the soldier had to do was keep crosshair on target. Nothing fancy. Fire your big rear end missile and wait, while everyone doesn't wait on you.

I've never heard such vitriol directed towards equipment as I've heard about the Dragon. Bitching, yes. Straight up distrust in the thing, not so much.

As someone who was assigned as a Dragon gunner, they are massive pieces of poo poo. It worked, but it was heavy, clumsy to use, and made you a loving target.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

You can shoot back at the TOW operator. You have to select your target before you use a TOW. You have almost no window to select a new target. You are not as clever as you think you are.

I think he’s referring to wire guided torpedoes? Which are a thing. With miles and miles of wire.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CommieGIR posted:

That was inevitable anyways, just means the Navy needs to adapt. Hell, small boats being a high risk to large fleet assets is already a known issue.

As soon as Unmanned Drones became a thing, especially in Sea warfare, everything changed. Frankly the only takeway is that the Navy is dense if they ignore this rising threat.

The answer to this is the same as the answer was 80 years ago, 40mm bofors, just these days it's a single computer controlled barrel on a weapon station with radar and proximity fuses instead of a team of dudes operating a twin/quad with manual sights.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 17, 2023

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
One of the donated Challenger 2 tanks has been spotted in Ukraine, probably close to being in action, cope cage addon included:

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1691732758391836867

Russia has released footage of drones attacking a Ukrainian Stryker East of Robotyne. There's speculation that the reason the video cuts off so quickly at the end is that the Stryker kept on moving.

Footage is both from the drone attacking the Stryker and then from the drone observing the drone attacking the Stryker:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1691379677225463808

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was a Stryker platoon leader in the post-deployment phase of my unit’s rotation, and (thankfully) didn’t actually deploy in that position…but I’m still interested in seeing how well they hold up vs things that aren’t IEDs or Carl Gustavs.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I don't think that's a cope cage, I think that's a grenade cage. It's just a regular chain link fence to bounce grenades away from the hatches.

Or are they all cope cages now?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Kith posted:

I don't think that's a cope cage, I think that's a grenade cage. It's just a regular chain link fence to bounce grenades away from the hatches.

Reportedly the chainlink cope cage works against Lancet drones.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
They're useless against EFP munitions, but against drones packing high explosive charges they can either prevent detonation or protect the vehicle by giving the explosion some personal space.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
additionally both sides have been using drones to drop grenades/bomblets on otherwise disabled tanks as a way of doing considerable further damage to them before they can be recovered and that should protect against that as well. it's interesting that both sides have identified cope cages as useful protection, albeit you almost never see them on russian tanks anymore

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A.o.D. posted:

giving the explosion some personal space.

:unsmith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Herstory Begins Now posted:

additionally both sides have been using drones to drop grenades/bomblets on otherwise disabled tanks as a way of doing considerable further damage to them before they can be recovered and that should protect against that as well. it's interesting that both sides have identified cope cages as useful protection, albeit you almost never see them on russian tanks anymore

No vets to pass along good tips anymore.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Crab Dad posted:

No vets to pass along good tips anymore.

For it to be so rare across the board, I'd assume some of it is top down. Cope Cages were so heavily mocked for their silly look and complete inability to protect against the weapons systems they intended to counter, that I'd bet that multiple people who benefit from the perceived toughness of Russian tanks pushed to keep them off of vehicles that could be photographed and sent to Oryx

I do rather like the idea of a tank with a hemisphere of chain link around it, mobile jungle gym of death to face the unique threats of the modern age

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wonder when we'll start seeing tanks with mini CIWS mounted on top.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

For it to be so rare across the board, I'd assume some of it is top down. Cope Cages were so heavily mocked for their silly look and complete inability to protect against the weapons systems they intended to counter, that I'd bet that multiple people who benefit from the perceived toughness of Russian tanks pushed to keep them off of vehicles that could be photographed and sent to Oryx

Each one being a unique-ish job probably helped Oryx et al early on as well.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

psydude posted:

Wasn't there an idea floated to have strykers with lasers following behind the armour for just that scenario?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Blistex posted:

Wasn't there an idea floated to have strykers with lasers following behind the armour for just that scenario?

That would be so freaking awesome.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

psydude posted:

Put some red paint on there and it will go faster too.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

psydude posted:

In effect thats the current active protection systems for tanks - that the West mostly hasn't rolled out yet. I'd guess the developers are frantically calibrating them for incoming slow/small drones too.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The original Russian cope cages were mostly a shutter of thick metal bars instead of the thinner mesh of the newer covers. It's clear the Russians thought they could actually do something against top attack EFP munitions, when they clearly can't. But the relatively few, thick bars on the original cages means if a drone drops a grenade on it, the grenade might bounce through the gaps. That's not going to happen with these lighter chain link fence-style cages.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

they arrive sometime before Hammer's Slammers

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MORE

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

DAKKA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GD_American posted:

they arrive sometime before Hammer's Slammers

can't wait for nuke powered tanks

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

We're already past the start date for the Bolo Mark 1

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The navalization of land warfare is all but inevitable at this point, I think.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

can't wait for nuke powered tanks

I'm imagining a Russian Ogre with an RBMK in it

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Kazinsal posted:

I'm imagining a Russian Ogre with an RBMK in it
Mobile Chernobyl

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Mobile Chernobyl

What has the Admiral Kuznetsov Pyotr Velikiy got to do with this?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 18, 2023

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Kith posted:

It was a throwaway remark by myself but while a cope cage won't stop anti-armor weapons, I hadn't thought about smaller grenade sized weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

psydude posted:

sadly the US chose the superweapons general instead of the laser general.