Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only person I'd listen to talk for over 3 hours about anything is Sean Seanson on PS1 games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7N6QcwDR28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

lol amateurs

12 hours talking about Oblivion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-otpq6oI2Q

and 20 hours talking about Skyrim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHP02JEC5H0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsQRhK_ktY

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tornhelm posted:

Who knows if his editors will post it, but Asmongold reacted to the LTT stuff on his last stream, so if they do things will flare up a bit. The Asmongold effect on the Youtube algorithm is ridiculous.
What's the tl,dw?

(Not sure if I want to watch it myself. Most clips I've seen are him hollering about things like a drunk monkey.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone know if the youtube recommendation algorithm for others take into account if a bunch of people have ignore this channel selected?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

gently caress that.
I don't want to hear 2 hours of opinions from anyone, about anything
these twats are tripping

I'm partial to this one myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-_r0w7ykI

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

slidebite posted:

Anyone know if the youtube recommendation algorithm for others take into account if a bunch of people have ignore this channel selected?
can't imagine that being the case with how much asmongold's poo poo keeps getting recommended to everyone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've watched a two hour video essay on Ghost Recon Wildlands, a three hour essay on the Sierra simulation-strategy game Outpost from the 1990s, and a five hour essay on survival-horror game The Forest, but those were actually good

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:smug:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

kliras posted:

can't imagine that being the case with how much asmongold's poo poo keeps getting recommended to everyone

Oh, so its not just me then? The gently caress is up with that. It appeared out of nowhere a couple months ago and keeps creeping back in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I enjoy Tim Rogers' style but I can't bother watching the ones on some Japanese game I'd never heard of and isn't something I'd be interested in.. Although when I have tried it has worked great in just putting me to sleep because he has a very soothing voice.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If we're listing our favorite super-long videos, Noah Caldwell-Gervais's travelogues are excellent. His Lincoln Highway video is worth all 7.5 hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmFQR0IltDQ

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Gros Tarla posted:

Oh, so its not just me then? The gently caress is up with that. It appeared out of nowhere a couple months ago and keeps creeping back in.
he's just one of the awful people randomly boosted by an algorithm for no discernible reason. kind of like some of the random twitter celebrities after they added the algorithmic feed. at least dieworkwear seems like a decent dude

the asmongold videos went away when i explicitly youtube to bugger off with the recommendations

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Which one is the video that's just like 3 hours of silence on a black screen? Bloodborne maybe?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

priznat posted:

I enjoy Tim Rogers' style but I can't bother watching the ones on some Japanese game I'd never heard of and isn't something I'd be interested in.. Although when I have tried it has worked great in just putting me to sleep because he has a very soothing voice.

Tokimeki Memorial, though you've never heard of it and don't care to play it, has probably influenced some of your favorite games in ways you couldn't even imagine.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

kalleth posted:

So we have:
  • Madison's reports of abusive behaviour and SA
  • Tweet likes from multiple LTT ex-employees
  • A glassdoor post saying the same that she posted at the time
  • Corroboration from an ex-employee that her claims have been consistent since she was employed at the company
  • A company made up of tech bro senior managers <30 with little to no experience managing teams
  • A meeting that took place the day after she left talking about bad HR processes to deal with SA and bullying/abuse

and yet the LTT forums and about half of the comments on all reddit posts are all still saying sHeS lYiNg bRo and claiming she's making it all up for clout.

I am horrified by humanity.

Only thing here i disagree with is making GBS threads on people under 30 being in management positions, the whole you need to be 50+ is a loving boomerism and we need to put younger people in a position of authority to learn.

wargames fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 17, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Tokimeki Memorial, though you've never heard of it and don't care to play it, has probably influenced some of your favorite games in ways you couldn't even imagine.

Yeah that’s the one I tried (twice!) and couldn’t make it past 45 minutes either time (2nd time continuing from about where I left off) without dropping off.

Gave him him 2 full views for the view count though :haw:

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A lot of what happens in startup culture is textbook Peter Principle. Bootstrapping, crunching early employees with poor senses of what is reasonable get promoted into management because they’ve been around the longest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

quote:

The Peter principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn a promotion to a position that requires different skills. If the promoted person lacks the skills required for the new role, they will be incompetent at the new level, and will not be promoted again.

Though with modern startups a lot of these people get promoted far beyond their abilities and stay there because of internal relationships and career momentum.

The best example comes from Blizzard and their struggles with getting D4 off the ground. That entire project was a death march from day one because it was run by well like producers from WoW who had no real management and project management experience. It was only after they left that things got on track

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

quote:

“Diablo IV” initially began development over five years ago. Under the leadership of director Luis Barriga alongside lead designer Jesse McCree, employees described a sense of inertia as large parts of the game would be worked on and then revamped and decisions stalled out. A battle royale mode for the game was discarded early on. McCree and Barriga did not respond to a request for comment.
Some employees attribute delays to McCree, who they say had a tendency to micromanage and a scattered approach to development. McCree would grow intrigued by different aspects of the game and then lose interest and hand it off to other people without finishing what he started. Employees said once McCree was fired in the wake of the companywide lawsuit, after the initial shock to the team, they reverted some of the changes he had requested.
“You could tell that they [McCree and Barriga] weren’t very confident, there wasn’t a lot of vision for the game,” said a former Blizzard employee. “They were changing their minds a lot, sometimes without even giving things a fair shot, like over the weekend. This started to really slowly start to burn people out.”

And they both left after overlooking sexual harassment and a frat boy culture on their teams

Sigma fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 17, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Businesses, especially smaller ones, are cursed by the view that you "have to" reach management or your compensation hits a ceiling. So people that don't want to or don't know how to get promoted to management, and often there's not anyone in a position of authority able to realize the managers are terrible at it. By the time that's figured out, the original ones can't be unseated, because that would be "demoting" them and they have seniority. I 100% believe LMG is well on this path and there's never an easy way out without upending the entire company.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

wargames posted:

Only thing here i disagree with is making GBS threads on people under 30 being in management positions, the whole you need to be 50+ is a loving boomerism and we need to put younger people in a position of authority to learn.

It's perfectly possible to have good managers under 30, but less likely. Especially when - in LTT's case - a lot of the people who work there, and are now in senior management positions (i.e. managing managers) have no experience or training at being a manager outside of at a single place of employment. This traditionally makes for lovely managers. I've had several, and been one myself.

Managing a team of people who individually do job X, most of the time, requires experience at doing job X. Managing managers requires experience of being a manager yourself, and usually, senior managers should have got that experience in multiple places working in multiple ways, with a breadth of experience dealing with a variety of processes, cultures and "HR-related situations". None of which most of senior management at LTT really have.

You don't need to be 50+. But you do need to have a breadth of experience to do it well. making GBS threads on the value of experience is a horrible idea.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've watched a two hour video essay on Ghost Recon Wildlands, a three hour essay on the Sierra simulation-strategy game Outpost from the 1990s, and a five hour essay on survival-horror game The Forest, but those were actually good

I unironically will watch the outpost one because that game was such an interesting disaster.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Something tells me Ian is going to regret whatever he winds up saying. "Automated testing is hard and Steve was being mean" was at least in his wheelhouse.

I agree, it's well outside his area. :ughh:

edit: my long play vids are limited to multi hour ones by Drachinifel on naval history. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

njsykora posted:

The only person I'd listen to talk for over 3 hours about anything is Sean Seanson on PS1 games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7N6QcwDR28

You'll probably love this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxXGuVL21o&t=3s

longer 2 hour version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHj5UKSylk

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I watched a 19.5 hour BBC documentary on WW1, but not on a video game review.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I don't have time to play games any more, so instead I watch 40 hour video essays about them.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Hey kids, let me tell you about a super cool youtuber from my era! His name is Ken Burns.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

link it tho

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Hey kids, let me tell you about a super cool youtuber from my era! His name is Ken Burns.

SOPHISTICATED DOCUMENTARY VIEWERS
STUPID YOUTUBE* CHILDREN
*LATEST FAD
DOWN THE TUBE

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Branch Nvidian posted:

Which one is the video that's just like 3 hours of silence on a black screen? Bloodborne maybe?

It's only 40 minutes but he made a fake Skyrim video for April fools'... 5 YEARS AGO WHAT?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYwpEzBvulA

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Triikan posted:

I don't have time to play games any more, so instead I watch 40 hour video essays about them.

Literally yes

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Asmon's clip went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-f8934KJE8

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

So this would seem to indicate that Linus's HR team did know at the time. Oops.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Pretty much sums up how I see it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vic posted:

Pretty much sums up how I see it.

Yeah I agree with asmongold 100% and thankfully nothing creepy will ever come out about asmon

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

let me just wipe the teeth blood on my wall before watching this asmongold video

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know this guy but at 1:20 he says the self-harm was not a rational choice :thunk:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
What's wrong with that?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know this guy but at 1:20 he says the self-harm was not a rational choice :thunk:

he is correct.

beep by grandpa posted:

people forced into unreasonable situations often do unreasonable things.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
what

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

He immediately follows up by responding to someone who claimed Madison's workload wasn't that bad with the reasoning she would have come up with to self-harm. Self harm is never a rational decision when looking at it with hard and cold logic, but in the middle of some poo poo it might seem like the only way to get a break, which is what Asmon appears to be saying in the segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

What’s wrong with that?