Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Det_no posted:

So that HoloCure "Vampire Survivors but vtubers" game was released on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

It's better than Vampire Survivors.

I have never V’d a tube, is it still better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's extremely anime and built on references that will completely miss you, so you absolutely have to have at least some tolerance to both of those things to enjoy it.

That being said, it's a genuinely good game that offers a unique take on the VS formula, has a shitload of content and is both free to play and without any in-game monetization or cash shops, due to explicitly being a passion project.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thankfully, the mechanics are pretty distinct from the innumerable ghastly in jokes. what's an asacoco? i have no fuckin' clue! but it's simple enough to figure out what characters can make good use of that weapon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

thankfully, the mechanics are pretty distinct from the innumerable ghastly in jokes. what's an asacoco? i have no fuckin' clue! but it's simple enough to figure out what characters can make good use of that weapon.

yeah trying to grind coins and min-max runs are going to require 0 knowledge of any of the animes and just going to be the standard excel stat breakdown.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hopefully they patched Quake 4 some time in the last few years. Tried to play it a while back and it has an issue where the lighting doesn't render correctly on modern graphics cards and everything looks completely flat as a result. Gameplay was still fine but it really killed the atmosphere.
Omg I had no idea. I thought I was going nuts.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's extremely anime and built on references that will completely miss you, so you absolutely have to have at least some tolerance to both of those things to enjoy it.

That being said, it's a genuinely good game that offers a unique take on the VS formula, has a shitload of content and is both free to play and without any in-game monetization or cash shops, due to explicitly being a passion project.

What's the unique take on the VS formula, like what is it doing mechanically different?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
each character has a unique weapon, ult, and 3 passive skills. there are a lot of dang characters. there's also a fishing minigame for inscrutable reason.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I got a message that Shadow Gambit is out, but there's no purchase button on the page :saddowns:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

I got a message that Shadow Gambit is out, but there's no purchase button on the page :saddowns:

:shrug:

I want to play it but I still need to finish BG :(
Shadow Tactics / Desperados 3 were both so loving good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was a fuckup on steam's end, apparently. it took an extra hour after the release time. it's available now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ninja: :pirate:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's so much of a passion project that the main dev refuses to put his name in the credits.

He's also been watching vtubers play it and there's a whole bunch of really cute clips on YouTube of him thanking people for inspiration and the like :kimchi:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Det_no posted:

So that HoloCure "Vampire Survivors but vtubers" game was released on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/

It's better than Vampire Survivors.

I played an hour of this and it is pretty good. I have no idea what they are talking about or who any of the vtubers are, but a lot of the weapons have similar VS analogies so it was pretty easy to feel at home with a rotating book with lava (holy water) on the floor build that was fun and effective.

There seem to be a lot of characters and the character weapons seem like more of a focus than VS where I generally end up running the same thing all the time. I also on 2 different runs had 2 different "collab" super weapon combinations but I'm not sure what the restrictions on this system are or what all works together.

I can see myself dumping some time in it but I have no clue if it'll have the legs VS did for me. I've got over 100 hours in that game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i'm gonna dump so many bodies in bushes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

correction: :ninja::pirate::dawkins101:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hwurmp posted:

correction: :ninja::pirate::dawkins101:

adventuring party about to do a dungeon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

each character has a unique weapon, ult, and 3 passive skills. there are a lot of dang characters. there's also a fishing minigame for inscrutable reason.

sold

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Why am I so drawn to fishing minigames?

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Antigravitas posted:

Bright, shiny lures? Tasty bait? Or maybe you just like hammering the X button as fast as you can during a 20ms window

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of fishing minigames, I remember a few people here wanting to like Dave the Diver but being turned off by the QTEs, so heads up that it got a patch today that gives the option to effectively disable those.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

They catch you hook, line and sinker

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shadow gambit did something sort of odd. it has a rather plain set of steam achievements, basically just for game completion. but then there's also badges which are in-game achievements like for hiding a certain number of bodies. these are explicitly not steam achievements. i don't really get why they are split up.

oh well, back to the skeleton pirate ninjas.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

There's a point where a character that you meet for the second time ever (both you as a player and you as the main character) goes "Wow, you helped me. Also, I love you!" and your character also goes "I love you too!" without giving you a choice about it, unlike basically every interaction prior to that, and then it cuts to an implied sex scene and now your "love" just hangs around your house without ever interacting with you in any way.

Now, to be fair, there could be a plot justification for that, but none of the characters acknowledge that happening again,
and I found that whole thing to be incredibly off-putting to the point where I just quit the game and I'm not planning on finishing it anymore.

what did you pick for your water seal?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Antigravitas posted:

How are you at catching fish in Hades though?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

what did you pick for your water seal?

I don't remember which one was water but, I picked Romance as the thing I desire and "be adored" as the way I wanted to be seen.
I did in fact think at first that what happened was a faustian bargain coming to pass, like "haha you wanted romance so here you get instant noodles romance that you get no choice for, sucker." and it would've been cool if it was that but none of the characters talk about it. No "Faust" going "owned ya" no main character going "wait, what just happened?", nothing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

I don't remember which one was water but, I picked Romance as the thing I desire and "be adored" as the way I wanted to be seen.
I did in fact think at first that what happened was a faustian bargain coming to pass, like "haha you wanted romance so here you get instant noodles romance that you get no choice for, sucker." and it would've been cool if it was that but none of the characters talk about it. No "Faust" going "owned ya" no main character going "wait, what just happened?", nothing.

Yeah like you get an animation for the romance seal activating in that scene and Gerthe even asks if you put a love spell on her. Its intended to feel railroady for sure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah like you get an animation for the romance seal activating in that scene and Gerthe even asks if you put a love spell on her. Its intended to feel railroady for sure.

I was thinking about that, yeah, but it really makes no sense for all the characters involved to ignore what happened. Especially the characters that should be in the know at that point.

It's a good idea but I found it to be offputtingly poorly executed.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

ymgve posted:

I have never V’d a tube, is it still better?

Yes. I only know like two of the characters and still played until 3AM.

I think the gameplay design is a lot better than in VS. Character weapons are more interesting and I haven't seen anyone that feels useless, character skills are cool, supers are cool, extra weapons feel a little limited at the start but they are all useful and you do unlock a bunch more. There's more ways to power up in general and I think levels are better paced too so it's not a snorefest for ten minutes then a nightmare only near the end.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jack Trades posted:

I was thinking about that, yeah, but it really makes no sense for all the characters involved to ignore what happened. Especially the characters that should be in the know at that point.

It's a good idea but I found it to be offputtingly poorly executed.

i mean its your character wish and they are too happy to care. they been on a rock alone for 200 years at this point. it all ties into one of the central ideas the game is going for.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Moonbreaker is doing a free weekend / sale; game launched in a rough state but it's honestly pretty cool now :) Just got updated yesterday with even more Crew to build your lists with

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sab669 posted:

Moonbreaker is doing a free weekend / sale; game launched in a rough state but it's honestly pretty cool now :) Just got updated yesterday with even more Crew to build your lists with

Yeah its pretty neat now. It has massively improve now that its not just "kill the enemy captain" as the only way to win. Game feels way more dynamic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sab669 posted:

Nice, had this on my wishlist for a while now. Never played the 40K tabletop stuff but it's always looked interesting and this seems like a close approximation.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
This may not be the best place for this but not sure where it should go.

I've got a pretty new xbox one controller, easily less than a year old. But the goddamn right stick got some drift where it thinks I'm pulling the stick down at all times. Some games have deadzone settings (although it needs a massive dead zone to make it a non issue) but many don't, and it's incredibly annoying especially in action games where I'll end up looking at the sky unable to see anything I'm doing if I don't have a free thumb to correct it. It also is annoying in menus which accept the right stick as an input.

I've tried pulling the stick out a small distance and cleaning around it, and I've also pushed it in and sprayed compressed air into the gap as much as I could, which is something I saw online. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone ever fixed an issue like this before? I'd prefer to not open the controller up but I suppose I can do that if I have to, although I don't have a torx screwdriver. Really don't want to buy yet another controller so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Play posted:

I've got a pretty new xbox one controller, easily less than a year old. But the goddamn right stick got some drift where it thinks I'm pulling the stick down at all times. Some games have deadzone settings (although it needs a massive dead zone to make it a non issue) but many don't, and it's incredibly annoying especially in action games where I'll end up looking at the sky unable to see anything I'm doing if I don't have a free thumb to correct it. It also is annoying in menus which accept the right stick as an input.

I've tried pulling the stick out a small distance and cleaning around it, and I've also pushed it in and sprayed compressed air into the gap as much as I could, which is something I saw online. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone ever fixed an issue like this before? I'd prefer to not open the controller up but I suppose I can do that if I have to, although I don't have a torx screwdriver. Really don't want to buy yet another controller so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it

Steam let's you adjust the deadzones globally per controller.

Settings > Controller > Calibration & Advanced Settings

That said, it won't help address every instance of stick drift. It's not enough for my own Xbox controller, for instance. It really pisses me off cause these things aren't cheap.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Play posted:

You can buy the potentiometer sensors from ifixit or elsewhere and replace that module for roughly $15 but it requires soldering.

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
(possibly wrong advice) i feel like when i redid my analog sticks i just pulled the two sides of the little box down and switched out the tiny round sensors?? could be thinking of something else entirely

e: this thing

King Boo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 17, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaRNKx-8r7Y

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nancy posted:

Was watching some dumb top 10 YT video and it called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines an "Immersive Sim"

I can kinda see it but it doesn't feel right

So as someone who literally just got done finishing a full playthrough of Bloodlines for the first time and had a bad time of it:

1) Immersive sim is a nebulously defined genre to begin with.
2) The term is about as old as dirt and is arguably outdated and meaningless now that we don't really need to draw a clear line between Doom and System Shock.
3) As per 1&2 I think there's a case to be made for a more classical definition of immersive sim and a newer one.

The real short of it is that I personally consider immersive sims to be games that offer multiple solutions to problems and importantly also engender emergent gameplay through creative application of gameplay verbs and a sense of improvisation. Bloodlines falls into the same camp that a lot of RPGs do where you don't really improvise solutions or find clever alternatives, instead you prescriptively choose to be good at lockpicking and then solve every problem by lockpicking for the rest of the game because that's what you chose at character creation, maybe eventually generating a different outcome from being good at lockpicking down the line (replace lockpicking with persuasion, stealth, whatever you like).

Though it's actually even worse in Bloodlines because everything is stiflingly, arbitrarily level scaled and stat-driven so it's not like, say, hacking is simply more difficult or more resource-intensive if you're underskilled in it, it's just flatout impossible. Having a token point or two in lockpicking is literally worthless because all locks will universally increase in difficulty as the game progresses. Which also means you need to pay an XP tax to keep your investment in lockpicking relevant. It sucks! And even before the game starts collapsing in on itself from being unfinished, there's quests aplenty that hinge on specific stat checks or do stupid poo poo like place a hackable computer behind a locked door so you need BOTH skills to get anywhere. The tutorial says you'll be able to find password clues as an alternative to hacking, but that stops being true all of an hour into the game. Deus Ex didn't do it perfectly, but it largely avoided those sorts of problems.

I mean, Bloodlines is ultimately an early example of the post-Daggerfall (or post-MW if you're really strict about it) Bethesda-style RPG. New Vegas has all the same elements that Bloodlines does (done way better...and more finished...), so is it an immersive sim? I say no, because there's a lack of truly emergent gameplay and improvisation. But it could just as easily be argued that my definition ironically excludes a lot of early genre progenitors, which were themselves built off the backbone of old school CRPGs...the very same ones that informed games like Bloodlines and New Vegas.

Or is my perspective just skewed and they all count as immersive sim but different kinds of immersive sim and it's roguelike vs. roguelite all over again? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is a clone of Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast

-mind tricks
-force powers
-swords and guns
-colons
-Steve Blum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Det_no posted:

Yes. I only know like two of the characters and still played until 3AM.

I think the gameplay design is a lot better than in VS. Character weapons are more interesting and I haven't seen anyone that feels useless, character skills are cool, supers are cool, extra weapons feel a little limited at the start but they are all useful and you do unlock a bunch more. There's more ways to power up in general and I think levels are better paced too so it's not a snorefest for ten minutes then a nightmare only near the end.

Having tried it out for a bit it seems like the visual clarity is much worse than VS. On multiple runs with totally different weapon loadouts I've had moments where I just can't even see what's going on to dodge because there are too many weapon effects clogging up the screen.
Which is tricky when the game does stuff like spawn enemies at all four edges flying in straight lines that you have to dodge in between.