Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My only thought is "sky island chain made up of Mist fractals of weird hosed up versions of existing areas" is both a good excuse for reusing assets and a cool idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I saw plenty of lukewarm takes complaining about reused assets, but I think it's a cool idea to have us explore these weird uncanny versions of familiar places. Even still, they seem to be touching up old models when they reuse them-- compare the houses in that shot of Garenhoff with the ones currently in the game and they've clearly had some work done.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My expectations are high because this is the first release in almost five years that wasn't damaged by Covid, rushed out to meet a deadline, or reduced in scope to move resources toward a future release. Everything from the end of IBS through Gyala Delve has been mediocre to slightly above average at best. They literally did nothing in Cantha to mark the celebration of the Lunar New Year. I wasn't expecting expac-specific events, but they could've at least put up some decorations or a temporary NPC or something.

SotO is supposed to mark the beginning of their new content release model, so I'd hope that Anet wants to make a good impression with it.

As for the re-using assets specifically, anet has already done the "places you've been before but magically different" in Jahai Bluffs and they've done multiple magic libraries before.

Yes, I'm probably grumpier about it that I should be, but it's mostly because I think GW2 has the core of a really great game and I think anet (or at least their management/NCSoft) is squandering its full potential.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 16, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TeaJay posted:

With EoD, Elden Ring took hold for me so when I finally got into the campaign, everyone had already ran through and maybe it was another factor on why it felt bad for me.

Same, the choice between EoD or Elden ring was a easy one to make.

whydirt posted:

SotO is supposed to mark the beginning of their new content release model, so I'd hope that Anet wants to make a good impression with it.

As for the re-using assets specifically, anet has already done the "places you've been before but magically different" in Jahai Bluffs and they've done multiple magic libraries before.

Yes, I'm probably grumpier about it that I should be, but it's mostly because I think GW2 has the core of a really great game and I think anet (or at least their management/NCSoft) is squandering its full potential.

My first thoughts are they saw how everquest is STILL making paid expansions once a year and they want to get in on that instead of free living story updates, so they'll have a skeleton crew reuse assets and make a expansion once a year from now on and probably go back to working on whatever failed projects they went to work on instead of gw2.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 16, 2023

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

complaining about the expac is the most content the game has ever had for me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB57Lxgb-M0

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

That looks like the Point-Tipped Corvus Griffon being shown off here - my favorite skin. Plush Griffon is also amazing.

Good video, nice demo. Smart of Anet to partner with the Griffon academy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I hope the changes make using the griffon more pleasant.
It's the best feeling mount once you get going but it's kind of a pain.

Skyscale, I love you but you're boring as poo poo.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Joined the Griffon club for 'Barnstormer' but will stay for the updrafts.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oh now we're talking!

Also very cool they gave this to ThyWeepingWillow to show!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I dream of a GW2 that didn’t try to fix what wasn’t broken with the genre:

- Tank/Heal/DPS is more content and depth than just DPS.
- Long non-interactive balanced buffs beat every class sharting 2-second overpowered buffs.
- “Horizontal progression” is an oxymoron, not a design feature.
- Players avoid underwater content not because it’s boring, but because it adds an axis to combat and makes them feel like they’re drowning.

A lot of GW2’s fundamental issues are cases of hindsight being 20/20, but many were very clearly stupid from the start.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Horizontal progression is awesome and one of the best parts of this game. More games should have it. I also think less adherence to the trinity of classes is something cool about it and allows a lot of build creativity even when filling one of those roles. It’s not just “pick x class and y spec”.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ort posted:

Horizontal progression is awesome and one of the best parts of this game. More games should have it. I also think less adherence to the trinity of classes is something cool about it and allows a lot of build creativity even when filling one of those roles. It’s not just “pick x class and y spec”.

Absolutely. The issue is you just can't design traditional raid style content around it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

boho posted:

I dream of a GW2 that didn’t try to fix what wasn’t broken with the genre:

- Tank/Heal/DPS is more content and depth than just DPS.
- Long non-interactive balanced buffs beat every class sharting 2-second overpowered buffs.
- “Horizontal progression” is an oxymoron, not a design feature.
- Players avoid underwater content not because it’s boring, but because it adds an axis to combat and makes them feel like they’re drowning.

A lot of GW2’s fundamental issues are cases of hindsight being 20/20, but many were very clearly stupid from the start.

- I think they would have done better just getting rid of tank classes, instead making every spec a damage or a support. Damage specs get tank stances that make them way harder to kill but also makes all their normal attacks grab aggro.
- Buffs are too easy to stack up, but the buff system is better than the 'push button for a buff that lasts an hour' stuff
- Horizontal progression rules, actually
- Underwater combat in GW2 has underwater-only abilities and weapons which is just so dumb, not that there's an addl axis-- this seems like it was a huge waste of dev time/resources. Like, I love the elementalist abilities underwater but that's like 20 abilities-- fully formed abilities-- for a single class. The three underwater weapons thing is insane, too. Also the feeling of drowning isn't a thing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think fixate tanking/kiting is fine but should be consistent in how it works and have at least 1 mechanic dedicated to it in every strike, raid, and more involved fractal

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Absolutely. The issue is you just can't design traditional raid style content around it.

I also hate raid content being the focus of every single MMO so that colors my opinion strongly

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
FF14 at this point is basically proof of concept that an all dps raiding system can work. The actual problem with PVE progression in gw2 is just lack of commitment from the devs. The #1 thing that contributes to the healthy raiding environments in wow and ff14 is every so often there is a new raid tier that obsoletes the old one. Putting veterans and new players on the same footing frequently is great for onboarding people into raids and for keeping the raid experience fresh. Gw2 instanced content on top of being stale has really unappealing rewards because you have to commit to 12 weeks of clears and do daily provisioner token chores and save up 1200 gold or whatever to actually get your reward from raids and strike cms are just like a title and 4 gold a pop.

Horizontal progression has also just been executed really poorly by anet. It works in a game like Warframe where they add 4 new classes every year on a schedule and add new gearing options that overlap and compete with existing ones. In gw2 new options are added infrequently and miss the mark a lot of times when they do show up so the horizon doesn't really expand. All pve content is solvable with berserker, viper, minstrel and there's no real progression within that sphere other than going from exotic to ascended.

But comparing gw2 to other mmos isn't really fair because it's spiritually a n64 collectathon where you run around pressing buttons for fun and grabbing shiny things and it has mmo themed minigames by coincidence.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I hate forced group instanced content in GW2 and dislike that pve is balanced around it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Neutron posted:

Traditional raid content sucks poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am terrified to interact with human beings so I stick to open world :)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

from someone with massive endgame content anxiety, one of the things that finally onboarded me was joining guilds of nice people who schedule beginner friendly strike runs every week. easier to hop into these things when you know the specific time they're happening and know that your squadmates will be chill

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Instancing sucks, when I bought gw2 back at release I hoped they did less of it after the success of gw1 let them go for a bigger project

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

an iksar marauder posted:

Instancing sucks

is... is this posted by an actual iksar marauder???

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the problem is the open world content model will only get you so far,

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

gnoma posted:

FF14 at this point is basically proof of concept that an all dps raiding system can work.

Uhh...what? The holy trinity is extremely rigid in that game, most dps have no self sustain whatsoever.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

As someone who'd rather both instanced and open world exist in tandem, and has been playing this dumb game for over a decade now, it's absolutely not the lack of horizontal progression that killed it. What killed it was an all-in push by the hardcore community/management that decided to fully embrace them way too much, way too fast.

It's easy to forget now that it's like seven years old, but Heart of Thorns very nearly killed the game. First expansion and it dialed up the difficulty by an enormous amount, promised content like legendary weapons simply weren't in, and the first three releases were Raids (and some of the prior mentioned missing legendary weapons). It was eleven months if you weren't into raids before you got new content.

FFXIV had the same problem (a considerable % of their content had atrocious engagement because of a lack of a more accessible version), and they rectified it by splitting raids into normal (really, easy) mode and 'savage.' Meanwhile anet kind of doubled down/refused to provide a easier mode/kind of mocked the idea, and between everything else and their half-assed support of the raid scene (such as poor ingame duty finder), raids ded.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m gonna say that GW2 having basically no new content in 18 months (except for Gyala which is forgettable at best) and having rushed mediocre releases in the years before that is the game’s biggest problem.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 18, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Path of fire was easily the high point of the game.

At EoD they at least figured out they could have the story fights be the "easy mode" for strikes, then you had normal mode and hard mode with people already having a basic idea of what will happen, though a less generous way to frame it is they reused content.

GW2's largest problem has been hindsight and a lack of clear direction in what way to take the game, like focusing on E-SPORTS standing in circles, or wanting the content to be delivered "like a TV show you could miss forever" because reruns don't exist and said content being "hammer 100 signs" for a few months.
I imagine raids would of been MUCH better received by the community if they had a 1 man story mode version on release, followed a couple months later by a 10 man version, followed a couple months after that with a hard mode version that mixes up the fight and takes the training wheels off.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 18, 2023

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Uhh...what? The holy trinity is extremely rigid in that game, most dps have no self sustain whatsoever.

The focus of healing in ffxiv is spending every possible resource on dps and casting heals as little as possible. Healing checks in fights are scripted around healer cd timings and don't require you to spend a lot of time actually casting heal spells. Failing a mechanic usually means a damage down and someone picking you up off the ground, not that different from going into downstate in gw2. Tanks also spend a proportionately small amount of time and resources on reducing damage. It's easy to picture a ffxiv style fight where mitigation cooldowns don't exist or are distributed to dps and there aren't dedicated support roles.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

gnoma posted:

The focus of healing in ffxiv is spending every possible resource on dps and casting heals as little as possible. Healing checks in fights are scripted around healer cd timings and don't require you to spend a lot of time actually casting heal spells. Failing a mechanic usually means a damage down and someone picking you up off the ground, not that different from going into downstate in gw2. Tanks also spend a proportionately small amount of time and resources on reducing damage. It's easy to picture a ffxiv style fight where mitigation cooldowns don't exist or are distributed to dps and there aren't dedicated support roles.

nearly every encounter in the game can be done with 1 or 0 healers just most people don't bc it's more consistent and the dps checks are low enough that it doesn't matter

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Looks like new Twitch drops are starting on the 22nd. Something to keep in mind.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/twitch-drops/

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

gnoma posted:

The reality of players focusing on damage to do fights as fast as possible doesn't change the very clear roles that are needed in FFXIV. Every fight needs the healing output from at the healer role (realistically 2, but at least 1) and the group healing and mit does not exist on either other role. The same for tanking, tank busters are generally designed to never be possible to counter with a non tank role, and some fight mechanics explicitly force you to do tank swapping which mechanically is only possible with that role.

Just because it may come down to it only being a few specific cooldowns every so often on whatever fight schedule (assuming everyone is otherwise playing 100% perfectly), I really do not think that FFXIV is any kind of example of a 'dps only' setup. Sure there are edge cases where people may do goofy configurations or maybe swap out one healer for another dps role, but the three roles are integral to how the fights and group content is designed for the normal player in that game.

With things like ageis and more common self healing, I do agree that you could copy a FFXIV style fight over to GW2 relatively well, but I would say you'd need at least one person playing a healing role and any of the mechanics that are distributed based on role would be a bit harder with things being picked randomly. It would only really work because GW2 mechanics allow for more fluid swapping of roles and every class can generally get access to the tools that define the roles in FFXIV.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Raidwides and tankbusters are terribly simple non-mechanics and you could remove them from every modern fight and lose nothing. If they happened alongside random spot damage, and if I were ever afraid of running out of mana and had to actually triage heal everyone, then they might be more than 'did you bring the roles we told you to' checks.

As it is, they exist because healers and tanks already exist (legacy design from a time more closely copying WoW) and they need guaranteed spots in groups too. Even though all your raid content has become primarily choreographed safety dances.

The other problem is, if you spend too long thinking about "how necessary is it, really, to force tank and healers into groups with arbitrary damage numbers", you might end up with the Guild Wars 2 Design Manifesto.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Crafting is really fun (I've never really done crafting b4)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

Crafting is really fun (I've never really done crafting b4)

Mods?!?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

you absolutely can, it's just gw2's encounter designers are really bad at their job like 80% of the time

when they pull a good fight off it's really fun but it doesn't happen very often

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Given everything I've heard about anet i'm willing to cut them some slack because it's highly probable management just put some devs with 0 experience on boss fights on the instance design team.

As always with this game, it's probably just lovely management.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
remember when LWS4 was really good and then suddenly fuckin NCSoft decided that anet doesn't need funding or new expansions for gw2 anymore and we got IBS instead lmao

the fact that they still put out bjora's and drizzlewood and a couple good strikes in that state is downright amazing tbh

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
That was NCSoft? As I remember it ArenaNet quietly put GW2 in maintenance mode and moved almost all assets to their Dune MMO and like three other projects that we never even got a hint of because wait what’s “marketing?”

NCSoft was actually the hero of the story when they yanked ANet’s chain and forced them to cancel everything and put their full attention back on GW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want to get a Bladesworn build going because it's so terribly anime and I am an unrepentant weeb.

What're some brain-dead builds that are all flash and big numbers?