Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

this character came out of nowhere
She's on Subscribe for More!. That's like somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

boredsatellite posted:

welcome to the kafka crew

i like how she keeps sending me anonymous messages like it remotely disguises her identity

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Speaking of which, I know the capital S Subtext is a whole big thing with these games but I'm enjoying how blatantly and overtly Kafka is coded in her texts and companion quest as being basically That One Ex-Girlfriend who keeps showing up--and you the player are constantly presented with options on how you want to deal with that.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Talking to her is depressing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

Speaking of which, I know the capital S Subtext is a whole big thing with these games but I'm enjoying how blatantly and overtly Kafka is coded in her texts and companion quest as being basically That One Ex-Girlfriend who keeps showing up--and you the player are constantly presented with options on how you want to deal with that.
I hope not; she claimed to be my mother in her companion quest. Though I'm pretty sure that was a lie.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

FractalSandwich posted:

I hope not; she claimed to be my mother in her companion quest. Though I'm pretty sure that was a lie.

It is.

anyway, between sw and now kafka, i guess i'm just committed to filling my party with sexy crime ladies

and as we all know there is no greater crime, than wage theft

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FractalSandwich posted:

People mined out the various answer combinations and cross referenced which answers had to be lies and which had to be the truth based on what we know from other sources.

The truth is that at some point in the past Elio handed you to her and she took care of you for an unspecified period of time and taught you basically everything you know. She claims it was just part of a mission and she handled it because none of the other Stellaron Hunters were suited for the job, but after Kafka leaves, Blade says he remembers you and talks about how you were with her longer than anyone else and that she made big sacrifices for your sake.

So the truth is that she's not your biological mom, but she basically is your mom in every other way.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Having Blade’s fun because all the hunters keep borrowing his phone to text you. And if you run into him in the overworld you can try to Bladie him. But Kafka is definitely the standout with the companion quest choices for this patch. Honestly, it feels like the hunters have gotten more love than the Luofu cast. Lightning lord who?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'll try to explain it as best as I can without referring to HI3 concepts too much to not piss off people in this thread.

The simple answer to all the world vs universe vs galaxy nonsense is that GGZ, HI3 and Star Rail are in a single universe (the imaginary tree, mentioned in both HI3 and Star Rail), split across infinite different worlds (GGZ, HI3, Genshin and Star Rail are set in four different worlds) and within each world are galaxies and planets where the laws of physics mostly still apply, hence temporal distortions. That's why the Astral Express can jump between Herta's Space Station, Jarilo-VI and the Xianzhou Luofu instantaneously, it jumps between different worlds, but there's a 20 year time gap between the researcher and his girlfriend, who are on different galaxies in the same world.

The English translation being inconsistent on all this and recent media going all in on a bastardized version of the multiverse concept, when Mihoyo stick much closer to the original concept of the Many Worlds Theory as proposed by Hugh Everett in real life doesn't help and causes confusion.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Day 110 of asking where the gently caress my Qingque companion quest is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meowywitch posted:

i like how she keeps sending me anonymous messages like it remotely disguises her identity

It was really funny when she sent me one like "Even though I'm not there, I know you've completed a lot of missions"

Like, Kafka, honey, you were there. You were actively helping me turn calyxes into loot pinatas.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gacha is non-canon. Yanqing in particular stands out as someone who has only ever been an enemy to us.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Detheros posted:

Day 110 of asking where the gently caress my Qingque companion quest is.

Qingque mahjong minigame tournament arc

come on mihoyo

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/honkaistarrail/status/1692024670097457320

Every time I see her name all I can think of is

Break a what with her what now? Is that a mistranslation?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Yeah, unless a character is specifically with you as a story trial character, they're not actually there. It's like a "what if" kind of situation.

Bronya might be in your party helping fight against mara-struck in the Luofu, but it's only a gameplay contrivance, since the in-universe Bronya would never abandon Belobog.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Kale posted:

Break a what with her what now? Is that a mistranslation?

It is, yeah. Grammar mistake. Correct translation would be "break a stone slab on my chest," it's like a classic vaudeville strongman act. Like breaking a cinder block with a karate chop or w/e. In this case put a stone slab on someone's chest and then hit it with a hammer to break it in half.

EDIT: if you look closely at the subscribe for more light cone you can see she's preparing to do this to sushang

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Those little sniffer doggos are cute though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

Gacha is non-canon. Yanqing in particular stands out as someone who has only ever been an enemy to us.

Sure, but it's funny to shitpost about. :v:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Izzhov posted:

It is, yeah. Grammar mistake. Correct translation would be "break a stone slab on my chest," it's like a classic vaudeville strongman act. Like breaking a cinder block with a karate chop or w/e. In this case put a stone slab on someone's chest and then hit it with a hammer to break it in half.

EDIT: if you look closely at the subscribe for more light cone you can see she's preparing to do this to sushang

Yeah thats typically the feat so I was figuring that made more sense

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Hes the Duvalie of this game it seems like. Trained by "the best" (or the student of the best) and might actually not suck in theory, but just seems to exist to job to whatever group of our heroes he ends up pitted against time after time after time in stretched that are canonically fairly close together in the timeline of events.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kale posted:

Hes the Duvalie of this game it seems like. Trained by "the best" (or the student of the best) and might actually not suck in theory, but just seems to exist to job to whatever group of our heroes he ends up pitted against time after time after time in stretched that are canonically fairly close together in the timeline of events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8PqC7i0mEI

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yeah the writers of TNG had a particular obsession with establishing how some alien or creature was a big serious threat by having them beat up the toughest guy around as an establishing gesture which was pretty much Worf or Data. They did it Wolf so often it kind of made him look like a joke at times though. With Yanqing it doesn't make much sense though as hes not the toughest guy around. Having somebody come in and body Welt or Jing Yuan would be more of an establishing of threat gesture basically. :lol:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
gonna break a cinder block with my tits

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kale posted:

Duvalie is a good character though, while Yanqing sucks.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Duvalie is a good character though, while Yanqing sucks.

Just you wait till the general here's what you said about me mgrgrggr!!!!

I dont know we'll see though. It could really just be like Duvalie where he's actually kind of legit but just keeps ending up in these unfortunate situations where he's just plain outclassed so you don't really ever get to see it yet. Like he's had to go up against the Trailblazer and friends, then Jingliu who as far as anyone can tell is the greatest sword master who ever lived in Luofu, then Dan Heng and Blade who are his seniors as well and one is basically an ascended being, then Trailblazer and Kafka the latter of whom has yet to take even a single L from basically anyone. He's super outclassed in all these fights yet somehow seems to keep picking them much like Duvalie.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Ngl, this would actually be very impressive

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Hey I used to know a girl who was a stripper and as she got older she kept getting crazier and crazier implants until her tits were like a pair of titanium howitzer shells. I'm pretty sure that girl could have run straight through a brick wall like the Kool-Aid man, so maybe it's not so crazy after all.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

It brings a whole new meaning to smash or pass.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Symphoric posted:

her tits were like a pair of titanium howitzer shells.

No that’s Xueyi. :v:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I realize I'm sitting on three self-modeling resins and I don't know what to use them on. Is it either ER ropes or Speed boots? I'm assuming I should try to kit out my damage dealers first with these items?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ER ropes are stupidly rare, I’ve used most if my resins making those for my supports that want them.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
ER Rope, then Speed Boots, then CR or CD Chest would be my priority.

If the support that wants the Rope doesn't desperately need it, I might skip them in favor of Speed Boots.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I have gotten a shockingly high amount of speed boots and very few ER ropes

So the ropes for sure

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

During the last double reward event for the SU ornaments I got like 6 ER ropes but they are all Rutilant Arena, which is a DPS set, and I can't really think of a DPS character that really benefits from an ER rope more than say Attack% or whatever. I suppose I can just use them on supports anyway, but it just feels wrong.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clara maybe. But only on Salsotto. I think there's some argument between spd boots, atk% vs atk% boots and err rope.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even if speed boots are the same drop rate as ER ropes the fact that you can just log in and auto battle to farmbboots instead of do actual SU runs for ropes means the effort required is significantly more for ropes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

my MO for resin is if i want a rope, i wait til weekly to run my free SU hits, if i don't get it then i will use it for an err rope if that's what i was targeting. for gear pieces, i run a coc until i get either speed boots or crit chest and then resin the other half. in general, this also works better if you're using them on less popular relic runs in a slight meta gamey sense of you'll probably not run it for a long time once you have the hits

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

my MO for resin is if i want a rope, i wait til weekly to run my free SU hits, if i don't get it then i will use it for an err rope if that's what i was targeting. for gear pieces, i run a coc until i get either speed boots or crit chest and then resin the other half. in general, this also works better if you're using them on less popular relic runs in a slight meta gamey sense of you'll probably not run it for a long time once you have the hits

You run a coc?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Fhqwhgads posted:

I realize I'm sitting on three self-modeling resins and I don't know what to use them on. Is it either ER ropes or Speed boots? I'm assuming I should try to kit out my damage dealers first with these items?

Whoever needs it. I’ve used one for a cdmg chest, one for an ER rope, and one for some speed boots. Using it on common sets like the musketeer and thief is a bad idea unless you have no other artifacts you need to farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meanwhile the regular relic thing just loving sucks