Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Relyssa posted:

The Ul'dah monetarist lalafells are absolute scum and you're meant to hate them. Dunno what his beef with Nanamo is, but so far I can understand the reaction to meeting some characters the game explicitly sets up as villains and wanting them gone. I don't read it as wanting the entire race exterminated, just the ones he's met so far. I don't even think it's "ironic racism", just a reaction to villainy.
What other mandatory lala contacts do you have at this point in the game other than monetarists, corrupt/criminal Ul'dah guards, Gegeruju and Nashu's stalker (:v:)?

I mean there's Tataru and Papalymo, but the former is barely even a character yet and the latter is as boring as the other core scions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

orcane posted:

What other mandatory lala contacts do you have at this point in the game other than monetarists, corrupt/criminal Ul'dah guards, Gegeruju and Nashu's stalker (:v:)?

I mean there's Tataru and Papalymo, but the former is barely even a character yet and the latter is as boring as the other core scions.

Pretty much nobody, which is the point. They're either boring or outright evil villains.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I do think that Lalafell could do with not looking quite as baby-like as they do, but it's not like they can change it at this point.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alxprit posted:

I do think that Lalafell could do with not looking quite as baby-like as they do, but it's not like they can change it at this point.
I feel like a lot of the issue there is their animations. Give them a normal walk instead of the baby waddle and you're a good way towards making them look like actual people.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

The HW studio change where they're directed to stay within human hearing wavelengths definitely helps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lalafell are mostly fine to me as someone who plays one but yeah i dont like their walk waddle

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

flatluigi posted:

fwiw the twins are young but I've always had the impression that the game wants you to think of them as your peers in all of this. it's going to be colored a bit by how old you personally are and how old you consider your WoL, of course, but "why do I care about these children" is the wrong position to sit on imo

flatluigi posted:

the twins are teenagers, old enough to have graduated Wizard College which means they're probably like 17 since it's a piece of media from Japan. they are not ten year olds lol

flatluigi posted:

it's the new player thread so nobody is going to post direct spoilers but you are rapidly approaching some of the story points that do have significant effects on the rest of the game, so just try to take the reassurances to keep an open mind instead of just rushing through so you can erp in slightly different surroundings or w/e

flatluigi posted:

i genuinely don't actually care if someone erps in the game, it's far from my thing but if it's how someone wants to spend their time i can't stop them. you don't need to get defensive about it

Like Clockwork posted:

If you're being made super miserable by ARR and it's impacting your enjoyment of the game, you stop playing (many do this), stop posting to mash through 2.x being a slog faster, or you get the drat skip. You don't post through it and throw a tantrum at anyone who tells you to just get the skip if you're that miserable about it and don't want to quit.

Ojjeorago posted:

That’s nice but lay off the edgy nazi jokes, this isn’t 4chan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Like Clockwork posted:

This is the playerbase that needed to have an expansion that was dedicated to The Empire Is The Baddies You Stupid Fucks so I don't think I would trust Garlean soldier #73636262 RPers to not be fash unfortunately

Kwyndig posted:

Perhaps like me they're tired of "ironic"racism even against fantasy people and think calls for the extermination of a people to be beyond the pale.

FeatherFloat posted:

I mean yeah, that's where it is for me. Yes ARR is slow and kind of sucky, we've all been there, but it feels different coming from someone whose sense of humor is calibrated at the "wanna kill the cute/small things in this game, hate them so much, amirite guys?" level. I think I've gotten too used to most of the forum's population having gone on an irony detox and not needing to prop up their enjoyment of an anime weeb video game with defensive/derisive making GBS threads on the parts that are insufficiently manly/macho/western/normal/something.

LMFAO

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

jjac posted:

The HW studio change where they're directed to stay within human hearing wavelengths definitely helps.
We need more Lalafell that sound like Yuyuhase did in the Japanese version.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think around 20% of my FC are lalas and so far everyone in game I've met who hates lalas has turned out to be an insane freak

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Lalafell waddle is not even the worst animation in the game while male Au Ra exist

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love Crash Bandicoot tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I love Crash Bandicoot tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCJz8Ip8jaA&t=152s

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Endorph posted:

lalafell are mostly fine to me as someone who plays one but yeah i dont like their walk waddle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know what that means tbh

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Endorph posted:

lol, thats good I guess since I like you but it was too good a joke to pass up

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

lalas are commonly referred to as potatoes, op

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relyssa posted:

lalas are commonly referred to as potatoes, op
oh i knew that but for some reason i didnt make the connection of that being a french fry fryer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Lmfao

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just having a normal one in the New Players thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MY NAME IS MUSTADIO BUNANSA, AND ALL PATHS LEAD THROUGH ME.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

lmao

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77OktmPJic

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so here's where i'm at with 47 on WAR

* always best weapon/chest, rest within 10 levels (soon will be looking at ilvl but not really a thing yet)
* tank stance on all the time for now
* always food (what's best for this? isn't the first stat listed the strongest or something? I'm just eating stuff that offers bigger than max bonuses on all 3 stats, ie says +10 max 50 and i have 300 base stat so i'm maxed, right?)
* rotate CDs on trash pulls including my sleeper favorite arm's length
* AOE on 3+, single chain on 1-2
* Keep provoke open and use it/tomahawk on any adds that creep into the fray after initial pull
* Be nice to healers (esp since i'm doing lower dungeons in DF) and start pulling easy, get a vibe check halfway through and if they want to try, pull doubles
* spin big poo poo towards the back, eat cleaves, don't dance around like an idiot because the melee dps needs all the help they can get

Do i have the basics down?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Goldmine lmfao

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

* always best weapon/chest, rest within 10 levels (soon will be looking at ilvl but not really a thing yet)
* always food (what's best for this? isn't the first stat listed the strongest or something? I'm just eating stuff that offers bigger than max bonuses on all 3 stats, ie says +10 max 50 and i have 300 base stat so i'm maxed, right?)
* Keep provoke open and use it/tomahawk on any adds that creep into the fray after initial pull
* Be nice to healers (esp since i'm doing lower dungeons in DF) and start pulling easy, get a vibe check halfway through and if they want to try, pull doubles
* spin big poo poo towards the back, eat cleaves, don't dance around like an idiot because the melee dps needs all the help they can get

You don't really have to worry about food if you're not doing high end endgame stuff since the stats won't matter that much. As a WAR you can more than most afford to pull extra since you have a good amount of self healing, and single pulling will probably just make things slower for no real benefit. The rest sounds about right.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Jonny 290 posted:

For food just grab a stack of the cheapest one you can find for the 3% exp boost, stats from food don't matter until You're doing extreme or harder content. (Vendors in starter cities will sell boiled eggs for ~10gil each)

Don't just stand in avoidable aoe cleave markers for the purpose of keeping the boss still. Normally if the boss is casting you can move it without it turning anyway, and even if it turns a bit that's minor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

you dont need to worry about food when leveling. just buy 1000 eggs or whatever and eat htem all the time for exp bonus.

generally its okay to default to double pulls once you get to heavensward and onwards, those dungeons are more designed with that in mind and both you and the healer have more survival tools

otherwise basically correct

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Honestly, feel free to just start trying bigger pulls with the lvl 50 dungeons. Everyone has their generally complete kits now and healers should be able to keep up for the most part, barring gear/skill issues. Everything sub-50 is just always dicey since there's always some missing skill or attribute that makes pulls harder.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Relyssa posted:

You don't really have to worry about food if you're not doing high end endgame stuff since the stats won't matter that much. As a WAR you can more than most afford to pull extra since you have a good amount of self healing, and single pulling will probably just make things slower for no real benefit. The rest sounds about right.

Warrior's self-healing comes in at 56/58 aside from single-target Storm's Path (which isn't going to keep you up in a pack). You can do double (or sometimes more) pulls before then and have tools to blunt the incoming damage, but don't have ways to get yourself out of trouble like Raw Intuition can. It depends on the dungeon and who you're running with, there are a few breakpoints that get ugly when someone just doesn't have the tools yet (the main thread was just talking about Haukke, where people are downranked to 31 and have skills from their upgraded job but a healer who's actually leveling might be 29 and just have Cure I as the only button to press).

The main thing to remember for multi-pulls is that tanking cooldowns are better used on trash than saved for bosses, it feels unintuitive since bosses are big but the incoming damage is often much lower.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know why but in terms of "tiny non-dwarf/gnome" fantasy races, I prefer XI's tarutarus more than the lalafells. Could just be spending more time with em, could be that they look closer to sentient teddy bears. Hell if I know.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

loving :eyepop:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Warrior's self-healing comes in at 56/58 aside from single-target Storm's Path (which isn't going to keep you up in a pack). You can do double (or sometimes more) pulls before then and have tools to blunt the incoming damage, but don't have ways to get yourself out of trouble like Raw Intuition can. It depends on the dungeon and who you're running with, there are a few breakpoints that get ugly when someone just doesn't have the tools yet (the main thread was just talking about Haukke, where people are downranked to 31 and have skills from their upgraded job but a healer who's actually leveling might be 29 and just have Cure I as the only button to press).

The main thing to remember for multi-pulls is that tanking cooldowns are better used on trash than saved for bosses, it feels unintuitive since bosses are big but the incoming damage is often much lower.

Ah, fair enough. For some reason I thought WAR's self healing came online earlier than that.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It used to back when Inner Beast/Steel Cyclone vamped and Bloodbath was a MRD skill (and Mercy Stroke existed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They used to have some level of self healing earlier. Steel Cyclone used to heal, and bloodbath was a marauder/warrior skill.