Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I haven't had any issues with this car yet, but the one time I washed my old Miata some water got down in the plug well and fouled the coil pack somehow. Prolly a thing if it rains frequently, to be fair.

Sounds good. I have a slight hood lift on my daily first gen and I’ve been looking at the Verus kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I just got back from the weekend just east of Denver at High Plains Raceway. Only thing I can think now is why tf do I live in Arizona. Also, that tow was soul crushing.

Denver real estate prices? That’s what did it for me.

Car looks great. Was that…12 hours?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BlackMK4 posted:

I just got back from the weekend just east of Denver at High Plains Raceway. Only thing I can think now is why tf do I live in Arizona. Also, that tow was soul crushing.

Plz move here and we can be racing friends. I don't race but I'd like to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ThirstyBuck posted:

Denver real estate prices? That’s what did it for me.

Car looks great. Was that…12 hours?

Oh, I hadn't actually looked... maybe I should :v:

14.5hr each way, the elevation and altitude in northern New Mexico was brutal for fuel / mental sanity. Constantly downshifting to maintain 65.

Full Collapse posted:

Sounds good. I have a slight hood lift on my daily first gen and I’ve been looking at the Verus kit.

I think they make stick-in things to close up the vents if you're getting a lot of rain or something.

StormDrain posted:

Plz move here and we can be racing friends. I don't race but I'd like to.

Time to browse Zillow :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Time to browse Zillow :v:

It's depressingly expensive there; I've been looking to maybe relocate to Denver/Boulder for a while and periodically check Zillow myself

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just picked up a new autocross slut since I sold two cars that weren’t getting driven, and my wife pointed out that I really shouldn’t ruin my DD or S2K by turning them into autox cars.

2007 NC Miata, with Bilstein B14 coilovers, Good-Win exhaust, and Fab9 93 octane tune. 138k miles, clutch was replaced at 132k.

The exhaust is definitely rowdy but it’s pretty reasonable when cruising, and has some nice non-artificial pops and burbles.

Plans are just to throw some Azenis RT660 rubber on it and go to town. Oh and get rid of the spike valve stem caps…

https://youtu.be/l6iZKpwdeTA

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sab669 posted:

It's depressingly expensive there; I've been looking to maybe relocate to Denver/Boulder for a while and periodically check Zillow myself

That depends on where you're coming from I guess and what you're looking for. The actual city of Denver and especially Boulder, yeah, very expensive. Beyond that? Not bad, and not terribly far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I live in a city that makes the Top 10 for "Highest Poverty Rates in America", so everything is expensive relative to here :v:

I can't decide if proximity to climbing gyms or to the mountains are more important. Hopefully visiting in October to help answer that, but that depends on how much more the E91 violates my wallet this year I guess :(

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some more/better pics of the NC

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Looks great! I'm getting tempted to get some Work Emotion Kiwamis when I wear the OEM tires out. I can't decide if I want to go with a bronze color or hyper silver, or gunmetal tho.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Primary purpose is for autocross use (not like I’m gonna be a National champ or anything) so I just ordered a set of 16” Enkei wheels with 215/45/16 Azenis RT660 rubber. I might keep them fresh in the garage til spring season, but we still have a couple more events to attend this year. The wheels are about 5lb lighter than the Advan1’s on there now, and there’s no way the current Toyos will compare in grip to the Falkens. I’ll still run the 17’s on the street.

MetaJew posted:

Looks great! I'm getting tempted to get some Work Emotion Kiwamis when I wear the OEM tires out. I can't decide if I want to go with a bronze color or hyper silver, or gunmetal tho.

You have an ND right? Those things are absolute killers in the cone races. I was considering one but it would have maxed my budget before tires and other costs. This way, I bought the NC, wheels/tires for it, and I can still buy suspension for my son’s Z4 for next season and be way in the black budget-wise.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 16, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I absolutely love my bronze, but the trend already seems to be setting in with like the M5, Blackwings and a few other cars offering bronze/gold from the factory now.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Primary purpose is for autocross use (not like I’m gonna be a National champ or anything) so I just ordered a set of 16” Enkei wheels with 215/45/16 Azenis RT660 rubber. I might keep them fresh in the garage til spring season, but we still have a couple more events to attend this year. The wheels are about 5lb lighter than the Advan1’s on there now, and there’s no way the current Toyos will compare in grip to the Falkens. I’ll still run the 17’s on the street.

You have an ND right? Those things are absolute killers in the cone races. I was considering one but it would have maxed my budget before tires and other costs. This way, I bought the NC, wheels/tires for it, and I can still buy suspension for my son’s Z4 for next season and be way in the black budget-wise.

How wide of wheels did you get? the rt are wiiiiide my 205 staked taller than BIL re-71 in 215

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

no lube so what posted:

How wide of wheels did you get? the rt are wiiiiide my 205 staked taller than BIL re-71 in 215

16x7. Tire Rack let the package go through 😬

If it ends up a tiny bit tall it’s ok, the current tires are 215/45/17 which is nominally 1” bigger than 215/45/16.

GRM ran 225/45/17 RT660’s on the stock ND 17x7 wheels and found them to perform very well despite being “pinched” on the narrow wheel, so my thought was that the 215 would be a tiny bit less pinched so still OK.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 17, 2023

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wife upgraded from the Highlander to celebrate finishing nursing school and starting her new career. 2019 4Runner TuRD Pro in Voodoo Blue aka Big Blue

It's hilarious and dumb but she loves it, fits in the garage with a bit over an inch of clearance. I'm going to have paint correction and ceramic coating done to keep it shiny.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Congrats! How bad was the Toyota tax?

That generation 4Runner and Tacoma are so outdated chassis and drivetrain wise, but man the styling and TRD Pro exclusive colours really make up for it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wife upgraded from the Highlander to celebrate finishing nursing school and starting her new career. 2019 4Runner TuRD Pro in Voodoo Blue aka Big Blue

It's hilarious and dumb but she loves it, fits in the garage with a bit over an inch of clearance. I'm going to have paint correction and ceramic coating done to keep it shiny.

I love 5th gen TRD Pros in the year exclusive colors. I don't think they have put a bad one out. Voodoo Blue is particularly awesome though. When are the BFGs going to hit?

As a weird observation; here in Utah I have seen so many from the BMW community add a Toyota/Lexus off roader as a counterpart it is wild. Extremely common. All of the guys that used to stand around parking lots with their BMWs and organize drives now get together with their Toyotas and go driving in the mountains/desert and go camping.

Here is a picture from last week

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I love 5th gen TRD Pros in the year exclusive colors. I don't think they have put a bad one out. Voodoo Blue is particularly awesome though. When are the BFGs going to hit?

As a weird observation; here in Utah I have seen so many from the BMW community add a Toyota/Lexus off roader as a counterpart it is wild. Extremely common. All of the guys that used to stand around parking lots with their BMWs and organize drives now get together with their Toyotas and go driving in the mountains/desert and go camping.

Here is a picture from last week

Is that the ARB awning/tent kit? We love ours!

Showing off the integrated lights ;D

And over the last week I did the first ever paint correction on the ol' mullet mobile. Hard to believe it's old enough to drink now!

Process was wash/clay with a nanoskin mitt, then Meguiar's ultimate compound, ultimate polish, and then two coats of Blackfire Blackice hybrid wax.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Congrats! How bad was the Toyota tax?

That generation 4Runner and Tacoma are so outdated chassis and drivetrain wise, but man the styling and TRD Pro exclusive colours really make up for it.
This is the most either of use have ever paid for a vehicle by a fairly significant amount. She doesn't like searching or messing around so she found it on Carmax in Texas and had it shipped. Drove up with the highlander and drove away in this a few hours later. The absolutely horrendous use of space inside is pretty funny, all the buttons are BIG TOUCH TRUCK BUTTONS.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm 95% sure at this point she car shops primarily by color, it looks so good. Once these wear out we might look at something beefy for rubber but we have to be careful it doesn't ride any higher.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is that an ‘02 SS?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

amenenema posted:

Is that the ARB awning/tent kit? We love ours!

Yes! This is the ARB 2.5M x 2.5M awning and the room. Our setup pre-dates the added lights. The awning I have had for a number of years but the room we only got within the last couple of years and only used it for the first time this year. The room is a "must have" setup as part of our camp now particularly since we have the tiny RV the outdoor room/space is super nice to have. Of all the unnecessary nonsense things I have bought for camping the awning is the best ROI as far as usefulness is concerned.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm 95% sure at this point she car shops primarily by color, it looks so good. Once these wear out we might look at something beefy for rubber but we have to be careful it doesn't ride any higher.

That is not the worst way to shop though. Trim levels/colors will keep a premium over bog standard boring models. KO2/s come in all sizes so I am sure you will find something to fit.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah I have a stock ND2 RF.

I would like to do some occasional autocrosses or track days but it's been over 105° in Texas for 40+ days I think so I haven't bothered even looking for events.

No desire to stand in an unshaded parking lot in this heat.

Sab669 posted:

I absolutely love my bronze, but the trend already seems to be setting in with like the M5, Blackwings and a few other cars offering bronze/gold from the factory now.

Yeah, it becoming more common of a color changes the calculus slightly. I've also seen at least two local miatas with the Advanti Storm S1s, and I couldn't tell if they were bronze or extremely dirty silver... So I think I've changed my mind about going with those wheels.

Oh well, we'll see when that time comes.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Is that an ‘02 SS?

Indeed. SLP Y2Y car (intake, exhaust, Auburn diff, Hurst shifter)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Goodbye 2016 WRX, hello technology! Got a new job with a 51mi commute in Los Angeles, manual WRX had to go.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Goodbye 2016 WRX, hello technology! Got a new job with a 51mi commute in Los Angeles, manual WRX had to go.

a... 51 mile... commute? In Los Angeles? I did 11 miles one way for 15 years before just saying "I'm remote now". Good luck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hell yeah, these are so cool. Still surprising how big they are vs how they seem in pictures. As mentioned though sorry about your commute

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
cancel the lease on your apartment, just live in the ioniq op since you'll pretty much never be home anyway.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's only 2 days a week and was a 65% raise, I couldn't say no. The worst (best?) part about it is the last time I commuted it was 16mi from the south bay up to hollywood, took just as long as this new 51mi freeway stint. It's mostly against the flow of traffic (LA to OC) which is cool.

All the tech and features are so cool, I have so much to learn, there's so many buttons and screens and settings, oh my!

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 18, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

It's only 2 days a week and was a 65% raise, I couldn't say no. The worst (best?) part about it is the last time I commuted it was 16mi from the south bay up to hollywood, took just as long as this new 51mi freeway stint. It's mostly against the flow of traffic (LA to OC) which is cool.

All the tech and features are so cool, I have so much to learn, there's so many buttons and screens and settings, oh my!

Has Hyundai fixed the issue where, when single pedal driving, the brake light doesn't come on when you let off the throttle? That seemed bad.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MetaJew posted:

Has Hyundai fixed the issue where, when single pedal driving, the brake light doesn't come on when you let off the throttle? That seemed bad.

Hello fellow technology connections viewer.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The EM1 is leaving on a transport tomorrow so I shuffled everyone around and put the S60R in the garage for safekeeping.

I’m surprised it fit to be honest

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

MetaJew posted:

Yes; there is a service campaign for it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MetaJew posted:

As mentioned, yes, in regen levels 2 and 3 the brake light logic is now proper. I like using my pedal though so not applicable in my situation, but I hear a lot of people like the one pedal control. Ran the vin through the service bulletin/recall thinger today and found out that I got sold a car with two open safety related TSBs. Woo! So, car's going back to get that poo poo handled, what should I demand for the inconvenience? Also, reported to Hyundai of America because I strictly asked both the sales person and the finance guy if any open TSBs/Recalls have been handled as I knew they were out there going into this.

On a lighter note, the car is amazing thus far. So plush, so much tech, absolutely do not regret the purchase.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got all the family roadsters out in the sunlight today

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I envy your garagespace. Nice collection!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Did about a 200 mile round trip with this (i obvs strapped everything down). It went pretty well except that the poor little 350 needs to be upgraded to a 454.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Honestly, I'd go LS. 6.0 and then turbo/super as needed.
But I guess if you don't want to deal with fuel infection...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even if you really didn't want to deal with fuel injection, buying the bespoke parts needed to make a LS run with a carb would probably still be better performance/$ over any BBC. A cheap junkyard BBC is liable to make about the same power as a stock 4.8, and one that already has a heads/cam/intake upgrade is probably going to cost quite a bit more.

Though at this point with the level of aftermarket support for various fuel injection options, I don't see any reason to carb an LS (or much of anything) these days unless it's needed for class rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a boosted 6.0 in a van and it's fantastic.