Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They've scrubbed all mention of his existence from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website. I don't think being replaced for illness typically leads to a damnatio memoriae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Vastly entertaining soap opera poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Atopian posted:

Vastly entertaining soap opera poo poo

banned for using xi jiping thought for your own personal amusement

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
xi mengze was a harvard lass, werent she? wonder where she is now

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A great country is one where posting someone’s ID card gets you 14 years in jail

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Can someone tell me what the deal was with Albania and China

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

free hubcaps posted:

Can someone tell me what the deal was with Albania and China

John Cena is Albanian. (He really is you son of a bitch.)
John Cena famously learned Mandarin.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Fur20 posted:

banned for using xi jiping thought for your own personal amusement

Going on ten years and not yet deported!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

John Cena is Albanian. (He really is you son of a bitch.)
John Cena famously learned Mandarin.

cave cenam

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toxic Mental posted:

A great country is one where posting someone’s ID card gets you 14 years in jail

Truly a freedom to aspire to!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

That lovely expat news wechat page posted an article (though I don't think it originated in China) about a Chinese woman who married a man in Pakistan.

Like that was it, that was the whole story. What a shock, god I loving hate the whole "expat-*" media bubble, it's all garbage.

They published a full uncensored picture of the woman's passport, ID number and all, with it.

Think they're gonna go to jail for 14 years? Equal protection under the law, right? So they probably should.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

xi mengze was a harvard lass, werent she? wonder where she is now

Living somewhere in the USA apparently lol

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BrainDance posted:

That lovely expat news wechat page posted an article (though I don't think it originated in China) about a Chinese woman who married a man in Pakistan.

Like that was it, that was the whole story. What a shock, god I loving hate the whole "expat-*" media bubble, it's all garbage.

They published a full uncensored picture of the woman's passport, ID number and all, with it.

Think they're gonna go to jail for 14 years? Equal protection under the law, right? So they probably should.

Yeah, expat news feeds are the loving worst. Just a bunch of sensationalist garbage at best.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

BrainDance posted:

What a shock, god I loving hate the whole "expat-*" media bubble, it's all garbage.

Strong agree.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

thetoughestbean posted:

Jackson Hinkle calls himself a MAGA Communist whose main ideology is just being a huge piece of poo poo. Assume everything he says is a lie, even if it’s true

I was wondering WTF? What happened to this guy, until I realized I the guy I was thinking of was named Jason Hickel.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Now I'm worried about Liu Shichao, world's best binge drinker

yo how much time do you get though

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/601158298875592716/1137497715249528853/VID_119480811_174819_340.mp4

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This dude owns.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1691098600963756032

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The pipe-floater's stance pleases girls completely.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
So i heard that heven mandated xipigfat should gently caress off, but he has been damage controlling like a champ.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You know, Ive been hearing that too lately

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As somebody who lives in Heaven itself, it is true, Heaven has mandated that Xi should be removed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

McGavin posted:

The pipe-floater's stance pleases girls completely.

the unnamed pipe layer can only salivate

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tarkus posted:

As somebody who lives in Heaven itself, it is true, Heaven has mandated that Xi should be removed.

So comrade Xi should be declared Great Sage, Equal to Heaven, is what I'm hearing here?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

*Great Sage Xi emerges from Flower Fruit Mansion to survey the forces of heaven arrayed against him. He expertly plucks nine hairs from his head and blows them away into the roaring wind, where they settle gently but firmly in the South China Sea. The Great Sage smiles warmly and turns himself into a cumquat.*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Has anyone seen the feelings of the Chinese people be hurt recently? I was thinking that I can't remember hearing about that for a couple years, I wonder if someone at the foreign ministry finally found out how it sounds in English.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the chinese economy is collapsing because everyone is just too emotionally wounded to get out of bed :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The economy can't collapse if you ban everyone from publishing economic data. :eng101:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

The economy can't collapse if you ban everyone from publishing economic data. :eng101:

*stares blankly at you, slightly confused expression* That's not what's happening.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Toxic Mental posted:

*stares blankly at you, slightly confused expression* That's not what's happening.

I had our guys look into the numbers - what he's saying adds up

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Adding up is counterrevolutionary

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQGXFwkvptI i saw this and thought of great chinar thread

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I will admit that China news has been fairly boring lately.
Maybe all the weirdness is building up for something fascinating.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Atopian posted:

I will admit that China news has been fairly boring lately.
Maybe all the weirdness is building up for something fascinating.

it's more like it's super depressing and it sucks to engage with any of it

xi is still speedrunning the next iteration of the great cultural revolution and it sucks massive amounts of rear end

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
evergrande filed bankruptcy in the us

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/18/china-property-developer-evergrande-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-in-us.html

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I saw an Al Jazeera thing in the gym this week about another round of arrests in Hong Kong after a new security law had been pushed through, but that could've been a recap.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

PBOC has also started selling off their foreign currency reserves to buy up yuan to prop the price up. While lowering interest rates to stimulate economic growth.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Has anyone seen the feelings of the Chinese people be hurt recently? I was thinking that I can't remember hearing about that for a couple years, I wonder if someone at the foreign ministry finally found out how it sounds in English.

i dont think they used the phrase, but they took canada off their approved travel destinations list because we hurt their feelings too much (by opening a probe into their potential meddlings in our democracy, clandestine overseas police stations, etc etc etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

You know, I don't think I've seen that feelings phrase used in a while but yeah they're still meeting criticism with petty revenge tactics.

The two big stories from China have been one, the birth rate:

quote:

China's fertility rate is estimated to have dropped to a record low of 1.09 in 2022, the National Business Daily said on Tuesday, a figure likely to rattle authorities as they try to boost the country's declining number of new births.

The state-backed Daily said the figure from China's Population and Development Research Center put it as having the lowest fertility level among countries with a population of more than 100 million.

And two, the underperforming economy. As usual obfuscation by the state means it's difficult to know exactly how bad things are. The yuan has performed terribly against the dollar so state run banks have been selling foreign currency and buying the yuan in order to prop it up. Evergrande finally filed for bankruptcy in US court. They owe $340 billion. A great deal of China's recent growth has been via property development via massive borrowing so for it's #2 developer to be up against the wall is a poor sign for not only property development but the larger economy. Evergrande has a lot of business that has nothing to do with property development also.

Pretty good article on the latter topic here https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/08/china-never-grand/

One good quote but there are many

quote:

China’s $60 trillion property edifice is by far the largest asset class in the world.

It accounts for half of the world’s entire property sales, an astonishing figure given that China’s workforce is already contracting and net migration from the countryside has stopped.

The developers have debts of $5 trillion. By comparison, this is six times greater than America’s $800bn subprime property debt on the eve of the Lehman crisis.