Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Your Computer posted:

i love everything about darkest dungeon except playing it

yeahhhh. its funny how it has all these amazing stylistic trappings of horror and fantasy, the sound and design are just impecable, but its all just a front end. once you learn to look past it, you begin to see a resource management sim with a deliberate focus on RNG mood swings, and it isnt especially concerned about your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Darkest Dungeon is Pokemon for people who grew up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

wizard2 posted:

a resource management sim
lol what

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

actually that's pokemon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pokemon is the most mature game known to man

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

if i grew up, why on earth would i be playing video games?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

pokemon is the most mature game known to man

it's this, and frankly I'm glad someone finally said it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

B33rChiller posted:

No, it's not proof on its own, but part of a larger group of indications.
Shmups from the 90's and some twin stick shooters are my exceptions.
I'll keep dieing in Gunbird2 forever.

Consider picking up that M2 Shottrigers Dodonpachi Daioujou port that's coming out this December. Physical pre-orders are still available on Amazon JP, Playasia and elsewhere for anybody that wants to grab one. Gonna be total banger

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love Pokemon and Darkest Dungeon, and the gameplay does feel like a more mature Pokemon game. You develop a big team of individuals with their own unique traits and train them up for the final battle.

That Anderson review mentioned some issues that have since been patched in the seven years since he made it. And then he spends a lot of time describing the best things about the game, like the unpredictable nature of the combat and permanent consequences for taking risks, and says that he thinks they are bad. I guess the genre is not for him, but I love it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is Darkest Dungeon the game where you can just lose your entire team and you have to start from a pool of fresh recruits if so? If that's the case, I can't think of a greater waste of my time in a video game. The thing that will absolutely kill my drive in playing a video game is when I lose progress for some reason, like a save glitch or something, and have to repeat a large chunk of content again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The characters are meant to be disposable, the main progress is how you update your town. Those town upgrades are persistent, so you don't lose that progress

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Morpheus posted:

Is Darkest Dungeon the game where you can just lose your entire team and you have to start from a pool of fresh recruits if so? If that's the case, I can't think of a greater waste of my time in a video game. The thing that will absolutely kill my drive in playing a video game is when I lose progress for some reason, like a save glitch or something, and have to repeat a large chunk of content again.
lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I fell in the hole and now I'm back at the start of the level? WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo??? UGH

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

American McGay posted:

I fell in the hole and now I'm back at the start of the level? WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo??? UGH

Okay now imagine the level is a few hours long.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I also bounced off Darkest Dungeon; just not a fan of rogue-likes.

Except for Hades. Which owns.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dorkest Dungeon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had a great run my first Vampire Survivors on Switch. Made it far enough to unlock a ton of stuff and like 2000 coins, even got a five reward treasure box which I e only ever gotten twice in like 40 hours on other versions.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Jockest Dungeon :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

American McGay posted:

That's a funny way to spell Shin Megami Tensei.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Darkest Dungeon made a lot more sense to me when I realized the player character is actually the town and the fighters are a weapon durability system.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

American McGay posted:

i thought that was shin megami tensei

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Party wipes aside, I found the dungeon crawling to be really unsatisfying and lacking any sense of exploration. There's really zero dungeon crawling to be had it's just screen after screen of encounter.

I wanted to like it especially since I paid full price for it but eh the gameplay loop wasn't as aggressively satisfying as rougelites need to be

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
YeahI liked everything about it except the actual dungeons. Kinda wanted something like Wizardry with rude traps and fun mazes

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Morpheus posted:

Okay now imagine the level is a few hours long.

Champion's Road

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Hot tip to anyone who owns Marble It Up: you can download the new deluxe edition, Marble It Up Ultra, for free.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Someone explain why when I have Remnant 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Pikmin 4 and Persona 5 in the backlog I keep playing Monster Harvest, a game I only kinda like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Thats a 300 hour backlog. It's not even fun to think about at that point.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
sometimes you just don't want to start a thing that you know is gonna comprise your next 100 hours worth of gaming time

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh also SMT V, which I'm about halfway through.

Yeah I have a ton of light games because after work my brain is usually fried but my favorite games are deep RPGs.

It's a curse to be so smart and cool but with the constitution of wet tissue.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Vampire Survivors is neat. I got to 30 mins in the first stage, which gave me a check mark despite being destroyed in a second by some blue thing that appeared, while playing Porta the lady with the lightning ring. I found that, the magic wand, and garlic to be a killer combo. Anyway, I can see how it works on people despite being stupidly simple. I think 30 mins per stage is too long though, unless they're infinite or something. Especially since you can't just stop a run. Sleep mode helps but you have to finish something in full before doing anything else.

Updog Scully posted:

Hot tip to anyone who owns Marble It Up: you can download the new deluxe edition, Marble It Up Ultra, for free.

Funny that's been on my wish-list for ages because it looked like the racing mini-game from Super Monkey Ball.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

No Wave posted:

Thats a 300 hour backlog. It's not even fun to think about at that point.

half of which is Persona 5

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Video games are too long

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if backlogs are real then castlevania 2: simons quest is still in mine and for that reason im comfortable voiding the concept of backlogs

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Vampire Survivors is neat. I got to 30 mins in the first stage, which gave me a check mark despite being destroyed in a second by some blue thing that appeared, while playing Porta the lady with the lightning ring. I found that, the magic wand, and garlic to be a killer combo. Anyway, I can see how it works on people despite being stupidly simple. I think 30 mins per stage is too long though, unless they're infinite or something. Especially since you can't just stop a run. Sleep mode helps but you have to finish something in full before doing anything else.

Getting to the 30 minute mark counts as having Vampire Survived a stage. Once you can do so with any consistency, you'll start unlocking the spicier game modes. There's an "Unlocks" tab in the main menu if you're looking for anything to work towards.

Also you can end a run at any time under "options" in the pause menu, if that's what you're asking.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

if backlogs are real then castlevania 2: simons quest is still in mine and for that reason im comfortable voiding the concept of backlogs

Backlogs are real and they can hurt you
See the thread title :smith:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Getting to the 30 minute mark counts as having Vampire Survived a stage. Once you can do so with any consistency, you'll start unlocking the spicier game modes. There's an "Unlocks" tab in the main menu if you're looking for anything to work towards.

Also you can end a run at any time under "options" in the pause menu, if that's what you're asking.

Good to know on the ending there then.

! Oh that helps for the options, but it just ends the run right? Doesn't save progress or anything. I mean it's not a huge deal. 30 mins is long, but I guess if you've made it 20 mins you can just put the system to sleep and do 10 mins later. It's just for such an arcadey game not having a way to save progress is odd. I could see myself picking it up for a few minutes here and there, in between bouts of TotK or Pikmin 4, but I can also do full 30 mins at a go I guess.

Edit: Last question regarding DLC: Should I leave those stages for later or just go for them now?

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 17, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Meowywitch posted:

Video games are too long

Only when they're bad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

JollyBoyJohn posted:

"Backlogs" are just for games you still want to play, not just ones you haven't started or beaten.

I own a boatload of games on Epic that I got for free but they aren't in my log since I know I'll never get to them.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just be glad there are no achievements/trophies on Switch. Some people's brainworms dont allow backlog progression without 100% completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Yeah I just picked up Vampire Survivors too cause I needed something dumb, in a good way. I got to the 30 minute mark in the first stage on my 3rd run with the second character. I forget what I had but I was just mowing poo poo down until the boss came out and pushed my poo poo in. $4.49 well spent so far

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 18, 2023