Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

Lmao gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

just occurred to me that Monday would be day 5 if she realized she had COVID yesterday

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

salient posted:

trust the experts imo, lest screaming over covid thread anti-intellectualism is heard elsewhere and out of context

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

I'm an devoted believer in beetopathy

I made an iraqi beet stew with chicken kubbeh this week and have rarely been more powerful

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

U-DO Burger posted:

got BA.X COVID? get Paxlovid

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

salient posted:

i cant think of a better way for a prof to teach people about infectious disease outbreaks

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

i cant think of a better way for a prof to teach people about infectious disease outbreaks

lmao at the "covid doesn't spread in schools" brain poison

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I made an iraqi beet stew with chicken kubbeh this week and have rarely been more powerful

whoa

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Baddog posted:

I believe you are mixing up sensitivity and specificity (it happens, I don't use it all the time so I always have to double check I'm remembering what is what).

I see 6% false negative, 2% false positive.

But yes, a false positive can and will happen to everyone eventually if you test enough. Always verify that positive.

Edit: Can't actually find it on their website now because its all been shuttered, but here was a story referencing those claims, and I see that 6/2 in a couple places.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-authorizes-first-home-covid-19-test-gives-users-results-n1248069
Another:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/04/1024450/at-home-covid-test-review-accuracy-binaxnow-lucira-ellume/

Fwiw when I took ~24 Luciras in Dec 22 my false positive rate was 8% (and another 8% tests “errored out” flashing the lights, which Lucira refunded). This is what spurred us to buy a Cue (we used a friend’s Cue and the Walgreens mail-in PCRs against the false positives).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Poppers posted:

It’s definitely a cost benefit thing which is unfortunate but a real part of healthcare. Hospitals are already one of the most insane garbage generating entities in all of modern society and there is at least some conceptual merit to reducing waste

imo the "reduce waste" solution is to give your staff elastomerics, and its cheaper in the long run too

San Antonio hospital could have an answer to the PPE crisis-- elastomeric masks
https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...6c-33ce89e193cc

quote:

Kizilbash is an associate professor in Internal Medicine and the Medical Director at The Texas Center for Infectious Disease or TCID.

She says the Elastomeric North 7700 Respirator is Hypoallergenic and made 100 percent of silicon and the center has 130 of these masks being routinely used.

TCID is organized under the Texas Department of State Health Services under the public health division. The hospital specializes in treating tuberculosis patients.

Dr. Kizilbash says the Elastomeric is highly effective against airborne diseases such as Tuberculosis. She says the center has used them since 1996 and not once did an employee test positive for TB.

(...)

As for the cost, she says it’s significant. For 170 employees, Kizilbash says the disposable N95 masks costs the center more than 44 thousand dollars a year. The Reusable Elastomeric masks cost just over two thousand dollars and only needs a filter change once a year.

“These masks can be used for years if you take care of them.”

It's disappointing that people are so hard on elastomerics, because they work really well and they don't break the bank over several years the way disposable masks do

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

imo the "reduce waste" solution is to give your staff elastomerics, and its cheaper in the long run too

It's disappointing that people are so hard on elastomerics, because they work really well and they don't break the bank over several years the way disposable masks do

we can reduce waste even more by not doing that either

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

U-DO Burger posted:

Also, they're more comfy then the auras I tried. Woof, the ITCHING!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

general thread thing

I'm begging everyone to please put at least some context around tweets about a celebrity being unspecifically ill

is this related to covid? he had it earlier, right? is it something else? is there some element to the story that makes it fit itt?

I get enough contextless celebrity gossip from my bing.com homepage

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah even a fairly small hospital on full all-n95-all-the-time, no reuse, fresh one only, will go through an INSANE amount of auras, elastomeric would be a huuuuge improvement in waste generation and might even be cheaper, it just requires the staff to keep track of them and take care of them and.. well, I won't hold my breath lmao

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

hailthefish posted:

yeah even a fairly small hospital on full all-n95-all-the-time, no reuse, fresh one only, will go through an INSANE amount of auras, elastomeric would be a huuuuge improvement in waste generation and might even be cheaper, it just requires the staff to keep track of them and take care of them and.. well, I won't hold my breath lmao

Would be?

Is, even a hardcore model like my secure click with the waterproof filters likely hits savings with how much I use it

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, that presumes each staff member is issued exactly one which they take care of and don't lose or break. And the number of loving papr hoods and positioning slings that end up in trash cans instead of getting reprocessed makes me less sanguine about the potential cost savings.

for context: I worked in hospital materials management from 2021 until a few months ago

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
if we're getting into the economics of it, aren't we just talking about hospital / business administration and not medicine or public health?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

fosborb posted:

general thread thing

I'm begging everyone to please put at least some context around tweets about a celebrity being unspecifically ill

is this related to covid? he had it earlier, right? is it something else? is there some element to the story that makes it fit itt?

I get enough contextless celebrity gossip from my bing.com homepage

I think the lack of context is the context. There was a whole thing about not being able to specifically mention COVID in relation to cancelled events because if it's COVID some sort of event insurance doesn't have to cover costs related to the cancellation

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BlakeMMurdoch/status/1689685403685752833

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Aug 17, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Lacrosse posted:

I'm losing my health insurance soon, YouTube is my doctor now

mawarannahr posted:

get on Apple health it's been useful for me. I used chpw

Yes to Apple Health. It's helped me out twice, once during actual unemployement and another when I was part-time without insurance.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Aug 18, 2023

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

hailthefish posted:

I mean, that presumes each staff member is issued exactly one which they take care of and don't lose or break. And the number of loving papr hoods and positioning slings that end up in trash cans instead of getting reprocessed makes me less sanguine about the potential cost savings.

for context: I worked in hospital materials management from 2021 until a few months ago
If anything, it would follow that it's economically cost efficient to not let an infectious respiratory virus spread across a country for three years.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Zantie posted:

Yes to Apple Health. It's helped me out twice, once during actual unemployed and another when I was part-time without insurance.

Love to live in a state that cares about its citizens :)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hailthefish posted:

in the article, the cost to equip their employees with non-disposable PPE was a little over $11 per year per employee. By contrast, providing each employee with disposable respirators cost $258 per year per employee. i don't think you're going to bridge that difference in cost unless your employees are extremely gung-ho about pitching non-disposable hospital property. And if they are then you have much bigger problems at your facility

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
which tweeter is it that has the models for extrapolating estimated case numbers based on adjusting for lack of accurate surveillance? Some Lab or another?

it was Hoerger, not a lab. foudn it

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Aug 17, 2023

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

That is extremely cool lookin

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Platystemon posted:

Babe, wake up. The mirror universe’s ivermectin has revealed itself.

Exposure to lung-migrating helminth protects against murine SARS-CoV-2 infection through macrophage-dependent T cell activation

In short, of mice are infected with this curly bugger, they fight off SARS‑CoV‑2 more effectively.

Will one U.S. public health failure cancel out another? Probably not.

There's been some research for a while on hookworms for allergies and autoimmune diseases. My rheumatologist mentioned them to me as an experimental treatment should I wish to pursue that. Sounded kind of hit or miss though, for some people they worsen symptoms. They secrete substances that mess with immune response, so they probably help prevent an overexuberant immune response from wrecking everything.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5401880/

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

bedpan posted:

lmao at the "covid doesn't spread in schools" brain poison

I think it’s more that schools operate as a business rather than institutions of learning and “asses in seats” are super important for their “metrics”. without speaking for that professor I imagine they face a lot of pressure to not cancel class for Covid or such atm, it’s entirely possible that the email they sent out about it was a passive aggressive way for them to let people who care try to make an informed decision about their attendance that week or such.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SardonicTyrant posted:

If anything, it would follow that it's economically cost efficient to not let an infectious respiratory virus spread across a country for three years.

you can get several secure clicks for the cost of even a very modest coffin

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

U-DO Burger posted:

got BA.X COVID? get Paxlovid

It's like poetry it rhymes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

rockear posted:

you can get several secure clicks for the cost of even a very modest coffin

The funeral industry has been posting bumper years though so who can say which is the better investment

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

in the article, the cost to equip their employees with non-disposable PPE was a little over $11 per year per employee. By contrast, providing each employee with disposable respirators cost $258 per year per employee. i don't think you're going to bridge that difference in cost unless your employees are extremely gung-ho about pitching non-disposable hospital property. And if they are then you have much bigger problems at your facility

Is there not some worry about cross contamination as employees go from room to room and patient to patient? I imagine pathogens could hitch a ride fairly easily on a silicon mask (not necessarily Covid but mrsa etc)
At least that was my understanding of why everything’s disposable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

Is there not some worry about cross contamination as employees go from room to room and patient to patient? I imagine pathogens could hitch a ride fairly easily on a silicon mask (not necessarily Covid but mrsa etc)
At least that was my understanding of why everything’s disposable.

Theoretically yes but everything being a single-use disposable ended up with people wearing loving garbage bags for PPE and storing disposable n95s in little paper bags between shifts since they were too precious to be thrown away and there was no provision made for like a closet full of elastomerics and paprs in the basement to fall back on when the poo poo hit the fan

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Dog Case posted:

I think the lack of context is the context. There was a whole thing about not being able to specifically mention COVID in relation to cancelled events because if it's COVID some sort of event insurance doesn't have to cover costs related to the cancellation

Edit:

https://twitter.com/BlakeMMurdoch/status/1689685403685752833

Yeah, I get saying "vaxxed?" at every celebrity death isn't super helpful but musicians constantly cancelling and postponing due to some mysterious illness and them seeming to be contractually barred from mentioning covid is pretty relevant to the systemic overing of covid.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

love a good svekolnik (chilled borscht)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Miss you cali, wherever you are. Now that was a covid thread troll that was actually funny. :unsmith: Hope they're safe and healthy.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
those filthy buggers, they go from concert venue to concert venue

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey Pillowpants you should email them and request the data, if only to see whether they'll actually release it to you

Find me an email and I will

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mistermojo posted:

love a good svekolnik (chilled borscht)

i better not burn my mouth on this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Al! posted:

i better not burn my mouth on this

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
I feel like the low and slow video should be in the OP too still. So much useful info is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Updated Moderna vs EG.5 (nothing about the actual results):

https://investors.modernatx.com/new...ts/default.aspx posted:

MODERNA CLINICAL TRIAL DATA CONFIRM ITS UPDATED COVID-19 VACCINE GENERATES ROBUST IMMUNE RESPONSE IN HUMANS AGAINST WIDELY CIRCULATING VARIANTS
  • Updated COVID-19 vaccine effectively targets EG.5, a dominant variant of concern, as well as the rapidly spreading FL 1.5.1 variant
  • Updated vaccine expected to be available, pending approval, in coming weeks for fall vaccination season
CAMBRIDGE, MA / ACCESSWIRE / August 17, 2023 / Moderna, Inc. (NASDAQ:MRNA) today announced that preliminary clinical trial data confirm its updated COVID-19 vaccine for the fall 2023 vaccination season showed a significant boost in neutralizing antibodies against EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 variants. These results suggest that Moderna's updated COVID-19 vaccine may effectively target the expected circulating variants of COVID-19 during the upcoming vaccination season.
(..)

Updated Pfizer vs EG.5 (nothing about the actual results):

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizers-updated-covid-shot-effective-against-eris-variant-mice-study-2023-08-17/ posted:

Pfizer's updated COVID shot effective against 'Eris' variant in mice study

Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) said on Thursday its updated COVID-19 shot, which is being tested against emerging variants, showed neutralizing activity against the "Eris" subvariant in a study conducted on mice.
(..)

Can't find anything about the actual results for either, but at least now you know they've tested the updated boosters against EG.5 :shrug: