Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have a feeling this is gonna turn into some half baked philosophical discussion on the nature of rationality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gros Tarla posted:

What’s wrong with that?

He is trying to look smug, since he did a rather crass post on the topic a few pages back using the same point.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Seems to be a misunderstanding by a few posters that equate him calling the act not rational as a criticism of her when it wasn't, that's all.

I think all of us can agree that when an employer stresses you, abuses you, sexually harasses you, gaslights you 1000 miles away from all your family and friends, bullies you into not taking any time off to fill that grindset culture, that is going to tax your mental health to its breaking point where you do whatever the gently caress you gotta do for survivability, which can seem insane to someone not in that situation.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If anyone wants to argue about that, please see the "we didn't 'SELL' it!" critique

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

For those who were asking about Emily.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

All I see is failure at using pronouns in the sense you should be using proper nouns because I'm lost in who's responding to who.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know this guy but at 1:20 he says the self-harm was not a rational choice :thunk:

when the gently caress is self harm a rational choice? what is wrong with your soul? what the gently caress?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
pls see post I quoted below.

Gros Tarla posted:

What’s wrong with that?
Nothing, I think he is correct as well, but yesterday I decided to drop this very line of conversation because:

Xakura posted:

Nobody said working at LTT was like the trenches at somme, they were using it as an example of how terrible situations might make irrational actions like self harm rational.

When you jump in with "well actually, they wont get shot for deserting linus" that undermines her experiences and actions, and imply that she was irrational, and thus not reliable.

It wasn't a hot take, it was a poo poo take.
as I didn't think that trying to follow the discussion in this environment would be productive yesterday.

beep by grandpa posted:

Seems to be a misunderstanding by a few posters that equate him calling the act not rational as a criticism of her when it wasn't, that's all.

I think all of us can agree that when an employer stresses you, abuses you, sexually harasses you, gaslights you 1000 miles away from all your family and friends, bullies you into not taking any time off to fill that grindset culture, that is going to tax your mental health to its breaking point where you do whatever the gently caress you gotta do for survivability, which can seem insane to someone not in that situation.
Yes, pretty much. I actually wanted to emphasize the abuse that she suffered in the hostile environment caused her to do this and contrast to simply not having another out other than in prison/dead. I repeatedly said that Linus as the boss is responsible for the hostile environment but it seemed like it would end with me getting probed for undermining her actions anyway.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 17, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you think I could move this thread to D&D without the D&D mods noticing?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, D&D mods are asleep.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

please don't, the D&D rules are bad

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Arivia posted:

please don't, the D&D rules are bad

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think you COULD move it but I also think they'd notice lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, just checking in on my options here. I have a day job and am VERY behind on YouTube videos.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

kalleth posted:

The LMG MVP

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

People got miffed at you because you did it in the weirdest way possible. I really don't understand what kind of cogs have to turn to produce these words in this order

mobby_6kl posted:

OK I don't know all the backstory and certainly not defending the original comment, but I'm pretty sure refusing to log into Onlyfans isn't punishable as desertion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alright, just checking in on my options here. I have a day job and am VERY behind on YouTube videos.

Linus: bad
Reviews: flawed
LTT: gross
Sexual Harassment: eewwww, gently caress off.

Think that's the major bases.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

it's funny that we have 2 (3 if you count GBS?) current events forums and they all suck so much that you should hide your thread under any other forum you can

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

People got miffed at you because you did it in the weirdest way possible. I really don't understand what kind of cogs have to turn to produce these words in this order
Yes that was probably unnecessarily gross but the issue seemed to be with the subsequent post where I actually tried to explain the point normally.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

use the only good twitter rule: posts can't be more than 140 characters

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes that was probably unnecessarily gross but the issue seemed to be with the subsequent post where I actually tried to explain the point normally.

I see a pattern of that not going according to plan. I think it's time to review the posting process.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vic posted:

I see a pattern of that not going according to plan. I think it's time to review the posting process.

okay but we need to shut down the thread for a week while we do the review.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Arivia posted:

OK but older, finished posts are going to be posted anyways.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

Sorry but that's not really my fault it's the other posters' responsiblity

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

are we still going to post live on Friday?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

StrixNebulosa posted:

OK but older, finished posts are going to be posted anyways.

The apology thread will be monetized.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Glad I purged LTT videos from my Youtube feeds during the backpack fallout. Linus smugly bragging about how much money he made rubbed me the wrong way and the latest news is both infuriating and disgusting.

It has also spread to surprising places. Preach has always been a good egg though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_lepJ_lmZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtomZzkeZRY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bondematt posted:

The apology thread will be monetized.
Check out mobbystore.com

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

kalleth posted:

She might find herself in a situation in the future unfortunately where it's less mentally draining to just switch jobs like Colin (e. conjecture of course)

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 17, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

Linus: bad
Reviews: flawed
LTT: gross
Sexual Harassment: eewwww, gently caress off.

Think that's the major bases.

Reddit doesn't seem to think sexual harassment exists without evidence right now.

As if that disaster of an internal meeting when she left, Colin backing up what she said, and Emily just saying she is trying to get change implemented aren't enough confirmation for them.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Arivia posted:

no no, you let it happen first, and then re-adjust

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

we're losing a record amount of lurkers

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

mobby_6kl posted:

Check out mobbystore.com

Bought a sippy cup, will post a review but I will not retest my prior sippy cups.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bondematt posted:

Bought a sippy cup, will post a review but I will not retest my prior sippy cups.

That's fine, you're not getting a warranty anyway.

E:

Bondematt posted:

Reddit doesn't seem to think sexual harassment exists without evidence right now.

As if that disaster of an internal meeting when she left, Colin backing up what she said, and Emily just saying she is trying to get change implemented aren't enough confirmation for them.
That might be more Linus fanboys thinking that? I came across a related post in a defense shitposting sub (of all places) and everyone is dunking on LTT

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 17, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't believe how you keep using out-of-context quotes in your posts, and didn't ask the quoted poster for comment and right-of-reply before publishing. Just a shameful ethical lapse.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

E:

That might be more Linus fanboys thinking that? I came across a related post in a defense shitposting sub (of all places) and everyone is dunking on LTT

The whole thing has gone critical mass and there are people who have never heard of LTT coming in to defending Linus because a :females: is involved now. r/linustechtips is in a semi-lockdown state and every post has an insane amount of automodded comments in it now

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can anyone find the full statement from this week of Linus denying Madison's accounts "to his recollection" or whatever? Now that there are 3 rock solid accounts*** corroborating that she absolutely was was making those complaints at the time and he 100% knew about it and is caught lying, I just want to read it again so I can get mad

*emily young, current lmg staff
*colin (??), former lmg staff
*leaked vid of the meeting linus talking about a staff departure & harassment protocols (I still can't get over the company policy of "pls take up your sexual harassment grievance with that individual first", I've never heard of that anywhere in my career)

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 17, 2023

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Can anyone find the full statement from this week of Linus denying Madison's accounts "to his recollection" or whatever? Now that there are 3 rock solid accounts*** corroborating that she absolutely was was making those complaints at the time and he 100% knew about it and is caught lying, I just want to read it again so I can get mad

*emily young, current lmg staff
*colin (??), former lmg staff
*leaked vid of the meeting linus talking about a staff departure & harassment protocols (I still can't get over the company policy of "pls take up your sexual harassment grievance with that individual first", I've never heard of that anywhere in my career)

Are you thinking of the statement to the Verge?
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/16/23834190/linus-tech-tips-gamersnexus-madison-reeves-controversy

quote:

I was in a state of shock reading through these allegations, plain and simple. They aren’t consistent with my recollections. They aren’t consistent with our internal processes. They aren’t consistent with our company values.

We pride ourselves on maintaining a safe and inclusive environment. In addition to our existing report systems (both anonymous and otherwise) we’ve proactively reached out internally today to encourage members of our team to report any workplace bullying or harassment they might be experiencing so we can take quick and decisive action.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

(I still can't get over the company policy of "pls take up your sexual harassment grievance with that individual first", I've never heard of that anywhere in my career)

The part that made me go :stonk: was when she said she was told "oh it's just sexual tension, go on a date with them to lessen it". They might as well have told her "it's either gently caress or walk".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

beep by grandpa posted:

Can anyone find the full statement from this week of Linus denying Madison's accounts "to his recollection" or whatever?

Linus responded to The Verge led with that:

quote:

I was in a state of shock reading through these allegations, plain and simple. They aren’t consistent with my recollections. They aren’t consistent with our internal processes. They aren’t consistent with our company values.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/16/23834190/linus-tech-tips-gamersnexus-madison-reeves-controversy

It's not exactly denial, but... yeah.

(This is one of the reasons journalists do reach out for comment so often. Most of the time you get boring nothingness, but every once in a while your subject will shoot themselves in the other foot.)