Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I mean, if you added in those Joe Maddon added wins, the Yanks wouldn't be under .500 now would they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here's how insane I am: I still think Joe Maddon could be an effective big league manager. Not for the Yankees though lmao.

Oh the clubhouse is 100% behind Boonie

https://twitter.com/maxtgoodman/status/1691994563819254144

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

It is right in front of them. In fact the whole division is in front of them. Some pretty far in front of them, come to think of it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
with analysis like "if we win a lot of games we might make the postseason" I guess Judge is angling to move into broadcasting when he retires

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

all the Yankees have to do is win 10 games in a row, like the Dodgers, and they might get all the way up to third in their division!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All they need to do is start hitting the ball well, score runs, get good outings from their starters and strong performances from the bullpen. It's the formula for success!

Also shannon sharpe has ruined the noun form of "skip" for me forever.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pungry posted:

This has been a rough week for the Rays.

:shepicide:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I would personally appreciate it if the Yankees ended the season 63-99, with their only wins in the remainder of the season coming against the Milwaukee Brewers.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/VinRBI/status/1691978246601204203?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nelson Velazquez is absolutely raking for the Royals. Uh, lol, lmao.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's unreal that Rendon is actually a worse contract than Pujols

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'm a little hesitant to rely on someone who claims to have played an unspecified sport a week after "almost tearing their ACL" for medical expertise

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mariner Dylan Moore just Javy Baez'd himself by hitting a single to left field and reaching first base but thinking it was caught (it was dropped) and so turned and started walking back down the 1st base line towards the dugout and was subsequently tagged out.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Mariner Dylan Moore just Javy Baez'd himself by hitting a single to left field and reaching first base but thinking it was caught (it was dropped) and so turned and started walking back down the 1st base line towards the dugout and was subsequently tagged out.

It's so so so bad.

https://twitter.com/DKramer_/status/1692269245957038529

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm a little hesitant to rely on someone who claims to have played an unspecified sport a week after "almost tearing their ACL" for medical expertise
His injury is a deep bone bruise which is apparently a step below a fracture on the severity scale. This guy makes it sound like he’s sitting out because his kid whacked him on the leg with a stick and left a little yellow-purple mark.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bees x1000 posted:

Things I Don't Like About The Los Angeles Angels, as I think of them

consistently bottom ranked farm and terrible player development
Arte Moreno
Phil Nevin
dropping the California name
dropping the Anaheim name
'The Angels' Angels
red
west coast game times
7 years at <.500 and counting
that stupid brawl with the Mariners
Rendon
their radio broadcast commercials are twice as loud as the broadcast itself. yes this is a problem with commercials in general but they could make the broadcast louder.
can't beat good teams

They have a super generic stadium experience. The best food offered is like "catered work lunch" tier. Their beer selection is dogshit despite having a ton of good breweries in Anaheim. The music and canned "make some noise" type poo poo they do is terrible and most of the time fans can't even be assed to finish the chants. They've desperately tried to get some kind of 7th inning stretch thing and it sucks. The rally monkey for better or worse was at least a thing they invented and I don't think they have done it much in the last decade, probably because the team has zero chance of rallying anyways.

If it were anyone else I'd be hesitant to call out missing time with a seemingly innocuous injury, but he has been such an rear end in a top hat to the media and fans about it. Plus starting stuff with that Athletics fan on opening weekend.

The other weird thing going on with the Angels is that they've paid the entirety of Max Stassi's 7M salary this season and he has been on the 60 day IL with family problems, as opposed to the restricted list (like Zobrist was when the infidelity stuff was going down). Its probably impacted their financial flexibility and pushed them over the luxury tax amount, too. There has been zero update on him missing the entire season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm sure the Angles would have spent that 7million wisely.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Like paying their radio broadcast team's travel expenses for the equivalent of their entire franchise history.

Or avoiding the luxury tax threshold for a year before signing someone expensive in the near future.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Pete Crow Armstrong hit a walkoff dinger and then the next night made two crazy wall catches.

There is some rumblings that they'll call him up in September. Even if it's as a pinch runner or defensive replacement, it's worth it.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Nelson Velazquez is absolutely raking for the Royals. Uh, lol, lmao.

I don't think Velazquez will be a star or anything but this was such a comically bad trade for the Cubs because they were too cheap to add a decent bullpen arm.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

We've basically got Javy again except Morel is better at not chasing way out of the zone in exchange for not being able to field any position at all even remotely competently. Honestly I'm fine if he settles in as the full time DH but my guess is the Cubs will still try to make him work at 3B for at least a while since we have zero good options in the immediate pipe there.

Morel has drastically improved his plate discipline this year. He absolutely would have swung at that 0-2 slider away last year during that at-bat. They need to get him to some level of respectability in the field at some position, but he may be destined as a DH/utility guy. It's pretty exciting to see his improvement year over year and he's still only 24.

Looking back at the beginning of the season when they just threw away all those at-bats on Mastruoboni, Mancini, Hosmer, Rios, etc while good players lurked in the minors may cost them a playoff spot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Just realized the Cubs end the month of August and September playing the Brewers. Oh god I'm going to have a heart attack.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Intruder posted:

It's HoF level of impressively bad management

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1692225995871588618?s=46

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In Krusty voice: "Give 'em ten grand"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Is this a real photo of the ground breaking ceremony for the Astrodome?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

probably given that the team was the Colt .45s and it was just the "Harris Coutny Domed Stadium" and not the Astrodome at the time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astrodome-ground-break-1962-Houston-history-10832176.php

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

all those dudes pictured absolutely loved saying the n word

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

THese guys too

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

:ironicat:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tatsuta Age posted:

Narbage can

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Note that the Red Cross is maybe the single worst organization to give money to in case of disasters.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

But still not even close to Strasburg

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

Niwrad posted:

Looking back at the beginning of the season when they just threw away all those at-bats on Mastruoboni, Mancini, Hosmer, Rios, etc while good players lurked in the minors may cost them a playoff spot.

To be fair Ross gave as few AB's to Rios as he could. :v:

But yeah it's really frustrating the Cubs insisted on giving a ton of AB's to washed up vets and rule 5 roster filler when they had MLB-ready talent just wallowing in the pipeline. And even when they did begrudgingly call up exciting prospects they got gently caress all rope before getting bounced, meanwhile Hosmer got to ground into 48584936271 double plays before the Cubs moved on. Hell the only reason Morel managed to stick around was because he came up insanely hot and hit 10 HR's in 8 games and it absolutely forced the org's hand.

Remember when Nelly hit a game winning grand slam and then got benched the next day and quickly shuffled back to Iowa so Mancini could get some OF starts?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Eric Hosmer had 100 PA before getting cut, that's really not a lot. I think it was fine to not go into the season solely relying on Mervis. Signing Hosmer and then Mancini was a bit odd though, not sure why we needed both of those guys.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Saw a car with cardinals plate holders and a vanity tag that said "Yadi M."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hosmer sucked and had sucked for years, there was no reason to bring him in in the first place. Ross treating him like an everyday starter for almost two months was dogshit no matter how ready Mervis was or wasn't in the eyes of the org.

I'm more forgiving of the Mancini move, he was a legit bounce back candidate and had played well for stretches last year. Did take them a bit too long to acknowledge his utter loss of any athleticism because of the sunk money though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Saw a car with cardinals plate holders and a vanity tag that said "Yadi M."

Red?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

But still not even close to Strasburg
as noted upthread, Strasburg's can never be considered the worst contract because he's just being paid for what he's already done for that franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Hosmer sucked and had sucked for years, there was no reason to bring him in in the first place. Ross treating him like an everyday starter for almost two months was dogshit no matter how ready Mervis was or wasn't in the eyes of the org.

Hosmer's OPS+ was 107 last season