Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macatt
May 3, 2005

Looper posted:

mutant mayhem was a blast. I'm not a big turtle head or anything but this was the most I've enjoyed just watching and listening to the individual brothers chatter and play off each other.

The brotherly dynamic among them was great. It's fun when they all just, to put it simply, get along. On that same note, I love how in this movie and the "Rise" show, they call Splinter "Dad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
7th guest, is there a reason you're reviewing these specific movies or is it just a grab bag of stuff you've wanted to see? Been out of the thread for a while so I missed any explanations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Macatt posted:

The brotherly dynamic among them was great. It's fun when they all just, to put it simply, get along. On that same note, I love how in this movie and the "Rise" show, they call Splinter "Dad".

I saw some behind the scenes thing where the 4 va's were in the same sound booth at the same time. So when they riff off each other they were doing it IRL as well. Really made it feel good and organic and I love it. Saw it last night, it was a ton of fun. They all 4 have very distinct personalities and it showed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

readingatwork posted:

7th guest, is there a reason you're reviewing these specific movies or is it just a grab bag of stuff you've wanted to see? Been out of the thread for a while so I missed any explanations.
I have like an insane backlog to get through. I still have around 40+ movies from 2016-2023 alone. It started with wanting to catch up on Pixar and Disney but then I decided to branch out

e: this weekend my planned watches are... Storks, Penguin Highway, Rise of the Guardians, Missing Link, and Lightyear. next weekend: The House, Road to El Dorado, Josee the Tiger & the Fish, possibly The Bob's Burgers Movie, and Finding Dory

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 16, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched a stop motion animated movie yesterday, Pied Piper made in the 80s and from Czechoslovakia. It's 50 minutes and there's no dialogue (the movie uses a made up language with no subtitle). The art direction is gorgeous, sadly it's not anywhere streaming I picked up a bluray release for it. I think some of yall would really enjoy it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Macatt posted:

I haven't seen every single TMNT movie, but is this the first time that Splinter had a character arc? That really stood out to me.

I thought this incarnation was really interesting because Splinter always comes off as this fully-formed ninja master whose weakness is that he's older and sometimes frail. Here, he's on the same starting line as the turtles, despite being older. So when it comes time for him to start fighting, it's a pleasant surprise that he is a wrecking machine because up until that point, there was no guarantee that he was that competent.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1691789860397359490?s=46&t=7AyWHP8XWihGbIRks1uduQ

It's in the same style as the graphic novel!! I'm so excited now!!! :toot:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TIL that Colleen Ballinger had a cameo in Wreck It Ralph 2 :yikes:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sir Lemming posted:

TIL that Colleen Ballinger had a cameo in Wreck It Ralph 2 :yikes:

Ralph wisely cuts off her internet access.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'm actually disappointed the Scott Pilgrim anime has the movie cast, as I believed and still believe that Michael Cera was grossly miscast.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm actually disappointed the Scott Pilgrim anime has the movie cast, as I believed and still believe that Michael Cera was grossly miscast.
I thought michael cera sucked in that movie, but after seeing stuff where he's doing the voice, I think he might be fine if it's animated
1) Scott pilgrim vs the animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitByGeWGxU
2) This clip someone animated using audio from the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9vXFOK69M

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 17, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Michael Cera fuckin owned in that movie

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah Michael Cera was perfect casting, and also he crushed it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
thirding that cera's "sad wet puppy" take on scott was surprisingly effective

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Scott Pilgrim movie gets better every time I see it, gaddam.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
If the anime doesn't bring back Thomas Jane and Brandon Routh for their roles I will be extremely disappointed.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

If the anime doesn't bring back Thomas Jane and Brandon Routh for their roles I will be extremely disappointed.

I absolutely saw Routh's name in the trailer, would bet even money on Jane being in as well.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Maxwell Lord posted:

I absolutely saw Routh's name in the trailer, would bet even money on Jane being in as well.

hell

YES

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I also liked Cera as Scott :shobon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Cera's Scott was a fundamentally different take on the character, and the script is part of why, too. Brash, outspoken dick Scott from the comics needs to find the power of understanding, and when he meets Nega Scott has to internalize his flaws as a part of himself. Meek, milquetoast movie Scott needs to find the power of self respect, and befriends Nega Scott because he isn't half bad.

Game Scott sticks with the Power of Love (which is not enough in either of the actual story based mediums) and punches Nega Scott to death, and you literally can't get the good ending playing as him.

Its fun seeing the same symbols take on way different meanings.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 18, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Michael Cera is hilarious man

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
In the Hot Wings ep with Culkin, they talk about how Cera is just one of those people who's just naturally good at everything. He'll beat your rear end at games you teach him, taught himself to play all the instruments, and eats hot wings better than the host. "gently caress you, stop being perfect."

It was cute.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm sure I remember something from behind the scenes where Mark Webber and Ali Pill were complaining about having to work really hard to sound like a mid tier amateur band and meanwhile Cera is deliberately playing sloppy to be a realistic Scott on bass.

I wonder if we'll get an animated tribute to Honest Ed's (RIP). Edgar Wright said he really wanted to film a scene in there but all the reflective surfaces made it completely impossible.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think I saw a clip of the Honest Ed's scene in the trailer.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Michael Cera is hilarious man

Has anyone said he's not? The main complaint has been he didn't really fit Scott as he was in the comic. Which he well. Didn't.

I don't really think it's a problem since the interpretation Cera went with fits the role and arc fine too. But it's pretty different.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Studio Colorido is a relatively young animation studio (founded 2011) with impressive credentials to their name: A Whisker Away, Burn the Witch (regardless of your thoughts on the script, the animation was not the issue!), and Star Wars Visions. Penguin Highway (2018, Crunchyroll) comes from director Hiroyasu Ishida, who, if this film and his second (Drifting Home) are any indication, likes to mix the surreal and mysterious with down-to-earth slice of life storytelling. I wouldn't necessarily tell Sonny Boy fans to jump headfirst into this film, because you won't get any heady philosophy from this one, but you might find the genre mix to be similarly interesting. It is based on a novel from Tomihiko Morimi, who also wrote The Tatami Galaxy, and The Eccentric Family.

Aoyama is a highly precocious 4th grader who buries himself in scientific research and thinks he's a genius, and discovers a series of unexplainable phenomena around the town that might all be connected, from penguins appearing in the suburbs, to parts of street signs being cleanly cut and missing, to unusual creatures in the forest. He decides to start a notebook dedicated to the research of these events, with the help of his classmates Uchida and Hamamoto, and the young adult from the dental office he's been crushing on, who he simply calls The Lady.

These mysteries, or at least some of them, do get solved, albeit in a way that is less logical and more fanciful sci-fi, but the overall story is mostly about kids trying to figure stuff out about the world in secret... it has the feel of a Boku no Natsuyami game but in movie form (if you liked Attack of the Friday Monsters on 3DS, this film might be up your alley), as the film is shown entirely from the perspective/narration of Aoyama, running through forests and fields following penguin paths, building lego constructs to test his theories, and absolutely no helicopter parenting.

I don't know that I'd say that any of the characters go through any significantly meaningful arcs (chalk it up to the relative youth of the cast or the film's focus on the kids' adventures and the mysterious happenings) but you will see a couple of typical character beats for this kind of film... the bully who softens in the final act, for example. I mentioned the lack of helicopter parenting, it's definitely a difference in culture because in America today if you let your kid walk a block away from your house, a neighbor would probably call social services on you. But Aoyama's parents are not only fine with him running off into the deep woods, but also spending most of his time with this random lady in her 20s from the dental office-- he even has a sleepover at her house. Remember, this lady doesn't even get a name in the film, she's just called The Lady. I guess this is just not considered weird outside of America? I also wish that we got a bit more from her perspective given how important to the story she becomes.

Despite being a two hour film it's paced pretty well, resolving some questions as new ones get introduced to keep the energy up. And it's absolutely gorgeous to look at, especially the film's wild finale where all of the rules of physics and perspective seem to snap and fall away one by one. The music is balanced between the adventurous and the sentimental, sometimes going full Ghibli with proud staccato trumpeting.

I do have an issue with Crunchyroll though. The subbed version started having sync issues between the subtitles and the footage, pulling more and more off-sync as the film went on. This might be an issue with certain Roku apps in general, but I'm not sure. So I switched over to the dubbed version with the subtitles off, so that dialog wouldn't pop up onscreen seconds before characters talked. The problem with this is that Crunchy doesn't hard-code any text translation onscreen, so if you have subs off for a dub, the many shots of Aoyama's notebook are flat out left untranslated. IDK, it can't be a mix of soft and hard sub? You'd need them in both versions after all. I also commend Eleven Arts for trying to use child actors for the dub voices of Aoyama and Uchida, but whoever was giving the vocal direction was not guiding them enough, as their performances are more stiff and wooden than the old Charlie Brown specials. This sometimes led to unintentional humor as a child actor robotically reads lines of narration that are, well, very 'anime' in how they're written (particularly an internal narration where Aoyama stares at The Lady while she's sleeping).

Anyway, the film is a fun watch, as long as you go in knowing the mysteries have answers just as untethered to reality as the questions themselves. I think that there's a bit of character development lacking not just in the main cast, but also in just the world of characters around them, and that is enough to keep me from giving it a full 4 star grade (although I do want to know what the hell Aoyama's dad's deal is, he seems to be a researcher of sorts himself and the way he talks is almost like one of those mentors in an Ace Attorney-type game). And I don't know that there's anyone you will really be fully endeared to, either. But it's a film that stays interesting from start to finish and it looks good on top of that. Certainly a better way to end my evening than my roommates watching Luck a second time just to yell at it.

Characterization: 3/5
Pacing: 4/5
Story: 3.5/5
Art Direction: 4.25/5
Sound Design: 4/5
Final Grade: 3.75/5 (3.5 for the dub version)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The 7th Guest posted:

Penguin Highway (2018, Crunchyroll) comes from director Hiroyasu Ishida, who, if this film and his second (Drifting Home) are any indication, likes to mix the surreal and mysterious with down-to-earth slice of life storytelling. I wouldn't necessarily tell Sonny Boy fans to jump headfirst into this film, because you won't get any heady philosophy from this one, but you might find the genre mix to be similarly interesting. It is based on a novel from Tomihiko Morimi, who also wrote The Tatami Galaxy, and The Eccentric Family.

Never heard of this, thanks for posting it.
Do you think this would be enjoyable for a 8yo to watch?

VVV Fair enough, thanks!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IDK, I'm not really reviewing these from that perspective. I don't have kids and my nieces and nephews aged out of that bracket for the most part

it's a pretty long film for a kid to sit all the way through though, like I said it's a full 2 hour film (technically 1hr 54 minutes when the credits roll). but the film is all from a kid's perspective, and there's plenty of strange things that go on as well as some cute penguin antics, so maybe? as far as appropriateness goes, aside from Aoyama being fascinated with boobs (seemingly from an anthropological standpoint) it's pretty G/PG-rated

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 21, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to watching Storks the other day.

Besides the wolf stuff I liked the aspect that the (ending)baby factory visually has a lot in common with the stork beacon that the child and his family build together as they become closer as a family, the shapes are very similar with the positions of the large central lamp and the slides surrounding it. It kind of brings to mind the idea that the baby factory is designed to evoke something that would have been born from a child's imagination. Also just the whole visual bit where Junior shoves the pipe into the letter hole and the entire factory erupts into light and colour is a really fun sequence after the tiny glimpse we got when only Diamond Destiny was being created.

My brother and I also watched the Asterix: The Palace of the Gods movie and we really liked it, it has some great action choreography and a cool hook given that the Gauls can't just beat up the Romans this time because most of them are civillians who have done nothing wrong. Caesar's plan is also genuinely genius too and works completely for most of the movie.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 21, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

folks, what the hell was this movie. Rise of the Guardians (2012, Netflix until Aug 31) is The Avengers by way of holiday/mythological mascots, that takes a by the numbers story and gives it a frankly bizarre execution that is enjoyable but hard to swallow. This came out the same year as The Avengers and, to its credit, it has less confusing cinematography even in its biggest action sequences. But as a superhero team film it has some issues, which I'll get into in a moment. And as a film that came out the year after How to Train Your Dragon, it's a far more awkward film to look at in its design.

This is a film with TWO different Tumblr Sexymen, Jack Frost (the protagonist) and Pitch (the villain). And someone had a preference when designing Russian Strong Daddy Santa Claus, that's for sure. Now, maybe the Easter Bunny is for someone, probably someone who finds Crash Bandicoot hot, but him, the Sandman, and the Tooth Fairy round out the cast of mythological heroes that protect children... somehow. It's not exactly clear what their general day-to-day protecting entails, which, again, I'll get to in a moment.

Jack has spent 500 years loving around on his lonesome, as no one believes in him so he is basically a ghost with winter powers, and The Man in the Moon apparently has signaled to the other Guardians that they're going to need his help to defeat the Boogieman, aka Pitch, who has returned from... somewhere, to ruin kids' dreams and make the kids not believe in the Guardians anymore, which will cause them to lose their powers (this is another thing I'll get to). Jack doesn't really want to help the group at first until he discovers that they all have memories of who they were before they were chosen to be Guardians, which he doesn't. Pitch by way of a plot device has Jack's memories and so Jack temporarily joins the group to stop him.

The film's got a breezy summertime action pace to it (despite the wintry theming), and it has the capability of suddenly bursting into a wild action sequence at any time, with blink-and-you'll-miss-it disasters being narrowly dodged and sweeping camera runs that might call to mind Into the Spiderverse... well, that's because this film was directed by Peter Ramsey, one of the directors on Into the Spiderverse, and I think I see where Spidey's big splashy action moments came from. Despite my issues with the story, this is the right directorial fit and the action is highly engaging. I also appreciated how the film treated Cupcake, this larger girl among a group of human kids who is big-boned and could easily have been the butt of a lot of fat and ugly jokes in the average animated movie, but here, outside of the initial introduction shot, she's just... one of the kids. She's treated completely normally.

Alright now to address all those pins I put up. So this is basically a superhero team, and a key part of a superhero team is how their powers work together as well as whether it's a balanced power set... and, I just don't think that's the case here. Jack Frost and Sandman are by far the most powerful heroes of the five, with both Easter Bunny and Santa being gadget/weapon-based, and the Tooth Fairy... honestly I just finished watching the film and I don't remember what the Tooth Fairy even did in battle. I mean, it's the Tooth Fairy... not the Fireball Fairy... but she didn't have any, like, crazy teeth powers, or dropped a giant quarter on anyone. The result of an imbalanced team means that the group doesn't really fight together very much at all, until the final fight of the film.

So the central mechanic of the film is belief. If children stop believing in the Guardians, they'll lose their powers, maybe even cease to exist? Except that's not true, because no one believes in Jack Frost and he has all of his powers. And Pitch does not cease to exist or lose his powers at the end of the film, he is just sort of done in by his own nightmares (but in a way that doesn't really feel like he was killed or anything? Like they just sort of drag him back to... his hideout where he'd been several times in the film??). What power is Santa losing anyway, he wields swords. Like he has snowglobes that summon portals but those seem like pre-built gadgets like Batman. At one point the Easter Bunny becomes a tiny (still talking) bunny because kids don't believe in him... but no one else has a dramatic change like this? Santa doesn't become scrawny, the Tooth Fairy doesn't turn into one of the tiny fairies... there's a lot of inconsistencies.

The table turning moment in the climax is when the Guardians start rounding up kids in the neighborhood which like.. well yeah, it's easy to keep kids believing in you if you just show up once in a while and do some cool superpowers!!! If there's no rule against doing that, why was that not part of the plan in the first place? How about the Easter Bunny goes on The Today Show or something and does the tunnel trick? The implication from the end of the film is that they were all Sandmanned to sleep so they might think it was all a dream... except one of the kids would definitely share their dream with someone else and then they'd all find out it was a shared dream, so that's not a good enough cover. Jack talks to Jamie (the lead child of the group who believes in the guardians when no one else does) and says that, in a way, he is a Guardian too. Which, like, yeah! He is. Because what are the Guardians guarding? Santa tells Jack early in the film that their role is to protect the children of the world, but what does that even mean? They are entirely reliant on the children of the world, not the other way around. The whole foundation of the Guardians is cracked.

It's something that may have been hashed out with a spin-off series, but unlike a lot of Dreamworks films from this era, Rise did not get a spin-off series with 6 seasons on Netflix, probably because it didn't do well enough at the box office. So instead it's just a weird curio of their catalog, that maintains some popularity because a lot of people saw it when they were twelve, or because they posted a bunch of Jack Frost gifs on Tumblr in the 2010s alongside Dean Winchester or whatever. It's got some action chops, but hasn't aged as well as other films, and even as a kid's film, its concepts really struggle to hold together for the entire 90-some minutes. Interesting, is what I'd call it.

Characterization: 3.5/5
Art Direction: 3/5
Sound Design: 3.5/5
Pacing: 4/5
Story: 2.5/5
Final Score: 3.3/5

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 21, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I used to get Rise of the Guardians and Legend of the Guardians mixed up all the time. Seriously, they are both the most generic names possible.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rise is based on a book series (I haven't read the books) but the deal with belief is that it's specifically only the guardians who belief matters to, every other spirit (and there's more off-screen) just exists belief or not. Pitch at the end is afraid of being forgotten, and his monsters are designed to hunt fear (so when he becomes afraid because nobody is afraid/believes the target him). There's a lot of like, absurd background lore the movie ignores for the most part as I understand it, but Pitch was a general who fought the monsters of fear before he became their leader. I think the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are also tied into that lore in some manner. As is the Man on the Moon (which is his spaceship?).

As far as the losing powers goes, Santa starts to show his actual age and becomes a feeble multi-centennial man, and the Tooth Fairy loses her ability to fly and perform magic. Santa (and later Jack) are the only spirits in the movie who started as humans if I remember the book stuff I found out correct. Sandman is a fallen star.

The day to day stuff is actually meant to be part of the point, only Sandman (Dreams) and Tooth Fairy (Memories) performs day to day protection, Santa Claus (Wonder) and Easter Bunny (Hope) only do stuff on their holidays which is why once Pitch gets the Sandman he becomes pretty near unstoppable as without dreams all that is left is nightmares (Fear). It's easy not to believe in Santa/Easter if their holidays fail, and the Tooth Fairy and her memories is the "Back up" because you can use those memories to remind children of their belief.

You can only see a spirit if you believe in it, so they can't just show themselves on a TV or something basically. If children need them, they protect, if children don't need them, they get forgotten (which is I think something that happened to Pitch in the books, where he was a guardian gone bad).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Rise is an incredibly lovely movie with an incredibly tepid script. Still got the artbook though, 'cause wow!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pitch is one of the villains who had much cooler concept art then what we got in the movie.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Charles Martinet is stepping down from voicing Mario, which is animation related because I assume that means Pratt will be taking over.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe for films but I assume Pratt is too big time for game VO, even one of the biggest gaming franchises. I’d expect a soundalike instead

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Charles Martinet is stepping down from voicing Mario, which is animation related because I assume that means Pratt will be taking over.

Curious why? Age I'm assuming. Will definetely miss his voice.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you want to be cynical there could definitely be a case of "new VA(s?) = cheaper and more malleable"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they stated that he has already been recast for mario wonder, as people had been speculating since the trailer dropped

we don't know who the new VA but it doesn't sound like chris pratt's mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

doomrider7 posted:

Curious why? Age I'm assuming. Will definetely miss his voice.

Could be age. He’s staying with Nintendo as a “Mario Ambassador” whatever that means. They didn’t say if all his voices are being recast or just Mario.
I hope he’s still voice acting elsewhere though. People don’t realize he’s got some range. He’s Paarthurnax from Skyrim!