Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Why do the mods in here love genocide and putins lovely balls so much?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

How is a post saying that a genocide isn't happening not genocide denial? That is the meaning of those words.

The post you quoted addresses the question you are asking.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

How is a post saying that a genocide isn't happening not genocide denial? That is the meaning of those words.

Because there is no consensus that a genocide is taking place, thus it's an argument. "Russia's actions don't merit the term 'genocide'" is not the same as "The Holocaust didn't happen". Demanding it be treated as such shuts down any discussion not rabidly pro-Ukrainian and we might as well start using terms like "Ruzzians" and "orcs".

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

The problem is that you can't have genocide denialists and people against genocide in the same space. It's impossible to be neutral in such a discussion and any attempts to do so inevitably wind up filled with a bunch of polite nazis.

You show those people the door or they take over.

the rules as practiced have the awkward consequence of (effectively but unintentionally) requiring that those who see the pattern of bad-faith denialists getting breadcrumbed over and playing a fit-inside-the-rules schtick have to actively refuse to comment on either the patterns or the motive, no matter how obvious, or it's "forums drama"

this is made worse by the whole thing that there really is an active community of not just genocide deniers but genocide supporters, the kind who get physically excited by any opportunity to square off about it. lordy it makes poo poo weird. this is not the weirdest it has been by far, poo poo got kinda stabilized by forumbanning or permabanning the absolute worst offenders and more or less ending that time where inaction had fostered this idea that if you wanted to protect your thread you have to stay quiet and fearfully avoid drawing attention, but it still leaves the problem of that it only got rid of those who failed the test of being good enough at reframing the poo poo they do as Just Asking Questions or Challenging The Narrative at least well enough to get their seat at the marketplace of ideas or whatever and then do exactly what happens every time they dont get shown the door

all this is to say that what fatherboxx is doing isn't even really wrong, it's just that he has to operate at a level which doesn't determine whether the right thing can actually happen, he can only do the damage control. its 100% outside the pay grade here, it'll either be fixed some other way at some other level or this'll keep going on

Lum_ posted:

While I disagree vehemently with this post, it isn't "genocide denial" and this pages-long derailing argument demanding it be dealt with as such is utterly tiresome. Part of debating politics maturely involves being able to engage with views you personally disagree with; otherwise you don't want a discussion, you want an echo chamber and there's plenty of that.

Yeeah so people have literally tried this with arguing whether or not its ok to purge my race to create a better, higher-IQ society. Apparently to be 'mature' or not want an echo chamber i have to repeatedly display interest in engaging with Views I PersonallY Disagree With, as opposed to saying we need to get to kicking them right the gently caress out, so i'm gonna go with a major popperian paradox "hell no" on this one

quote:

Because there is no consensus that a genocide is taking place, thus it's an argument.

gently caress this poo poo also, by the way, there's no scientifically measurable "consensus" that mints something as Certified Genocidilicious

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Xiahou Dun posted:

To paraphrase, because we believe in the meaning of words, and they don't. By giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of the subject, and the discussion. They seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate, confuse and disconcert. They are amusing themselves; the thread, its subject, and its participants are a toy. The IK and mods have given them the right to play.

Lemme be clear; the mods, and the IK, could enforce the existing rules against this poo poo. These aren't fresh or falsifiable arguments, and the users are very obviously trolling. They're choosing not to enforce those rules. They're choosing not to moderate, specifically in a manner which favors the trolls promoting genocide denial.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 17, 2023

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

They are saying there is no genocide happening. There is no genocide to deny, only war crimes. It’s the “It’s the just a civilian massacre, not genocide level yet”-argument. Which I imagine they think the thread should engage constructively with, and have a reasonable debate about. If only the thread would calm down and grow up a little.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lum_ posted:

Because there is no consensus that a genocide is taking place, thus it's an argument. "Russia's actions don't merit the term 'genocide'" is not the same as "The Holocaust didn't happen". Demanding it be treated as such shuts down any discussion not rabidly pro-Ukrainian and we might as well start using terms like "Ruzzians" and "orcs".

Consensus doesn't determine reality.

And in fact I could get a table at any discussion by just having the dumbest, most reality-warpingly wrong take possible.

There isn't an actual debate here.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lum_ posted:

Quiet a few of the international bodies who deal with genocide and quiet a few researchers on the topic have the position that while investigations are needed to confirm its reaaaaaaaaallly looking like genocide.

So yes, there's not a official report that is saying "Yes, this genocide" but that's probably going to come out sooner or later.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lum_ posted:

In my opinion, posts like the above should be engaged and refuted, not banned;
You can't engage with someone dishonest like the holocaust deniers and those who just spout Putin's propaganda regarding Russia's war with Ukraine because 'Murica bad.

They're not interested in honest engagement. They're just trolling and don't give a poo poo.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Lum_ posted:

Show me the consensus that the Holocaust constitutes a genocide, and do so in a way that does not validate the position that the mass deportation of children and rulings from the Hague constitute a consensus for genocide in Ukraine.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

one of the best ways to figure out that the things happening right now are guaranteed to be remembered as genocidal acts committed by russia is that: if you get the people who most frequently dispute this is a real genocide to comment and make clear their opinion on other acts of clear genocide in other places, like the irish potato famine stuff or the native american adoptions/youth abduction stuff, the majority will argue passionately that these were clear and absolutely unquestionable acts of genocide, and list things russia is doing 100% for sure the equivalent of right now (or worse) as for sure superserious genocide acts of a genocide. just ... only in these other times, when we're talking about not countries i like to carry water for

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rugz posted:

Show me the consensus that the Holocaust constitutes a genocide, and do so in a way that does not validate the position that the mass deportation of children and rulings from the Hague constitute a consensus for genocide in Ukraine.

Motive (the Wannsee Declaration), implementation (physical evidence and survivor testimony from death camps), and responsibility (the various Nazi figures in charge of the SS, extermination squads, etc.). Most of this can't be reliably drawn from an active war zone for obvious reasons.

Russia's filtration camps and deportation of Ukrainian children are absolutely a war crime (thus the Hague rulings); whether or not they rise to the level of genocide against Ukraine is a matter of very active debate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
All this genocidal talk is really engaging and I hope that it continues for the rest of the week. Who needs current events in a current events thread?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Probably lock the thread for a few days and sprinkle some probes around in the meantime

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lum_ posted:

Motive (the Wannsee Declaration), implementation (physical evidence and survivor testimony from death camps), and responsibility (the various Nazi figures in charge of the SS, extermination squads, etc.). Most of this can't be reliably drawn from an active war zone for obvious reasons.

Russia's filtration camps and deportation of Ukrainian children are absolutely a war crime (thus the Hague rulings); whether or not they rise to the level of genocide against Ukraine is a matter of very active debate.

So it's impossible to determine if something is a genocide until long after it's completed? Do you have an argument besides "what even is reality, man"?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

For some actual current events from the NY times:

Jens Stoltenberg has to walk back Stain Jennson's suggestion that Ukraine might have to cede land in return for NATO accession.

quote:

Only Ukraine can decide when it might negotiate with Russia to end the war, and what an acceptable solution might be, Jens Stoltenberg, the secretary general of NATO, said on Thursday, clarifying NATO’s stance after his chief of staff, Stian Jenssen, suggested on Tuesday that Ukraine could gain alliance membership in exchange for ceding its Russian-occupied territory.

Mr. Jenssen had created an international stir with the suggestion, which Ukraine considers an unacceptable option. He later apologized for the comments, which were first reported by the Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang, adding that it was a mistake and that it was crucially important that NATO supports Ukraine.

On Thursday, Mr. Stoltenberg said at a conference in Norway that NATO’s stance on Ukraine’s potential alliance membership had not changed.

and the first civilian cargo ship has made it to Turkish waters since Russia made the warning:

quote:

A civilian cargo ship appeared to have safely sailed out of Ukrainian waters in the Black Sea early Thursday after departing the port of Odesa, the first to do so since Russia’s warning last month that it would view vessels traveling to and from Ukrainian ports as a military threat.

As of around 8 p.m. local time, the ship, the Joseph Schulte, had reached the waters off the coast of Turkey, according to the ship-tracking platform MarineTraffic. The container ship flying a Hong Kong flag was the first civilian vessel to leave a Ukrainian seaport through the Black Sea since July 16.

President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine called the ship’s passage “an important step toward restoring the freedom of navigation in the Black Sea,” in a post on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

and Germany gets US approval to buy Arrow 3s from Israel:

quote:

Israel said Thursday that the U.S. government had approved its request to sell Germany its Arrow 3 missile defense system, setting in motion a $3.5 billion agreement that comes as Germany aims to upgrade its military amid the war in Ukraine.

Israeli officials described the sale as the country’s “largest ever” weapons deal. The Arrow 3, designed to intercept ballistic missiles armed with nuclear and other nonconventional warheads outside the earth’s atmosphere, was jointly developed by the government-owned Israel Aerospace Industries and its subsidiaries and Boeing of the United States, in cooperation with the missile defense agencies of the two countries.

The Arrow 3 is considered a crucial element of Israel’s arsenal in its effort to be able to defend itself against enemies like Iran.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

I want to note this is a phenomenon that really only came to the fore in the 2nd half of the 20th centruy, yet we, having cone of age in that time treat it as axiomatic.

In almost every society we know of from the dawn of the civilization to the world wars, society's elite was in the thick of the fighting. As they were the officers, they often suffered heavy casualties and this shared communal sacrifice helped keep society stable.

This was because from the development of agriculture up to the 2nd industrial revolution it was orders of magnitudes more productive to take land than invest in and develop your own.

Joining as an officer is a choice that a handful of wealthy people make. It is not the same as conscription, and is necessarily less dangerous because officers decide who must take what risk. The soldiers can't make that decision, and if they refuse they are arrested.

And that doesn't even touch upon things like the wealthy buying their way out of the draft or acquiring exemptions for their position.

Edit: more importantly, the officer class and the investor class are two very different groups of individuals with little overlap.

Nenonen posted:

All this genocidal talk is really engaging and I hope that it continues for the rest of the week. Who needs current events in a current events thread?
Give me buttons, I will bring order to the force.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 17, 2023

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

more importantly, the officer class and the investor class are two very different groups of individuals with little overlap.

This is not my understanding of the modern military, particularly in the US. The relationship between retired officers and defense contractors, for instance, seems to indicate a pretty large center of that venn diagram.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jon posted:

This is not my understanding of the modern military, particularly in the US. The relationship between retired officers and defense contractors, for instance, seems to indicate a pretty large center of that venn diagram.

This is very true, I should have been more specific:

Rarely do investors become officers, although the reverse can happen.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

WarpedLichen posted:

and the first civilian cargo ship has made it to Turkish waters since Russia made the warning:

god that's got to be a sphincter tightening voyage. was a mine free corridor somehow established or did they just risk that russia hadn't laid more since the grain deal fell apart?

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Lum_ posted:

Motive (the Wannsee Declaration), implementation (physical evidence and survivor testimony from death camps), and responsibility (the various Nazi figures in charge of the SS, extermination squads, etc.).

Why does this constitute a consensus?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

god that's got to be a sphincter tightening voyage. was a mine free corridor somehow established or did they just risk that russia hadn't laid more since the grain deal fell apart?

Has Russia even laid mines in the area at any point? All I am aware of are Ukrainian mines to deter Russian invasion attempts, but those are not on the shipping lanes. And when the grain deal was first made I don't remember there being any clearing operation of Russian mines and I don't think Russian ships have moved that close after the sinking of Moskva and fall of Snake Island made it clear that they should keep a distance. ASM's allow them to close the route from a safe distance if they really wanted, anyway.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is it the same ship they stopped recently for a search?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm not sure if there are dense enough naval mine fields to cordon off Odessa at any point, I would imagine the fear is more about Russian interdiction than mines.

Russia recently halted and interrogated a civilian ship in the Black Sea so I would have been afraid of armed men pulling up and stealing all my cargo:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/stop-machine-russia-releases-video-showing-navy-boarding-cargo-ship-black-sea-2023-08-15/

Considering the US backup plan is shipping grain along the Danube, I'm not sure how many other ships would be as ballsy.
https://archive.is/wIlN2

Paladinus posted:

Is it the same ship they stopped recently for a search?

Looks like a different ship to me unless other ships have been stopped for searches.

Ship searched was: Palau-flagged Sukru Okan
Ship sailing out of Odessa is: Honk Kong-flagged Joseph Schulte

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 17, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nenonen posted:

Has Russia even laid mines in the area at any point? All I am aware of are Ukrainian mines to deter Russian invasion attempts, but those are not on the shipping lanes. And when the grain deal was first made I don't remember there being any clearing operation of Russian mines and I don't think Russian ships have moved that close after the sinking of Moskva and fall of Snake Island made it clear that they should keep a distance. ASM's allow them to close the route from a safe distance if they really wanted, anyway.

probably subjective, but i imagine that taking grain ships out through a minefield in disputed waters is more palatable to neutrals than taking out cargo ships with asm's from stand-off range

can't naval mines be air dropped? i feel like i've seen mines listed as a major concern for shipping

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep they can be

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm not an expert on naval mines but Black Sea is a big place and unless there's some shallows to navigate you would have to throw a lot of mines to seriously disrupt shipping? There are no roads or chokepoints to selectively mine is there? I would imagine the use case for mines is you throw them near ports to block them, not throw mines randomly in sea lanes?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Joining as an officer is a choice that a handful of wealthy people make. It is not the same as conscription, and is necessarily less dangerous because officers decide who must take what risk. The soldiers can't make that decision, and if they refuse they are arrested.

And that doesn't even touch upon things like the wealthy buying their way out of the draft or acquiring exemptions for their position.

Edit: more importantly, the officer class and the investor class are two very different groups of individuals with little overlap.

Give me buttons, I will bring order to the force.

That depends on how high the officer is. Junior officers (lieutenants & captains) tend to have slightly higher casualty rates than the enlisted, even in recent wars. It's only senior officers and higher that are really less dangerous, and even then they still die quite often in peer wars. All these counter-insurgency wars have warped our expectations, because in a peer war, brigadier general moved up to get better command of the unit and then eats a stray artillery shell is not unheard of.
For example, we have all the Russian generals who have been getting blown up, and for another example,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generals_of_the_British_Empire_who_died_during_the_First_World_War

You are definitely right that while officer > investor is a pretty common transition, investor > officer is incredibly rare.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm not an expert on naval mines but Black Sea is a big place and unless there's some shallows to navigate you would have to throw a lot of mines to seriously disrupt shipping? There are no roads or chokepoints to selectively mine is there? I would imagine the use case for mines is you throw them near ports to block them, not throw mines randomly in sea lanes?

You don't actually need that many. Commercial shipping depends on insurance, so you just need to spook the insurers to get everything shut down.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
I imagine mines could also be deployed from subs, which Ukraine has no way to stop.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

WarpedLichen posted:

The only choke point is uh... controlled by Turkey... who would take a lot of offense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

probably subjective, but i imagine that taking grain ships out through a minefield in disputed waters is more palatable to neutrals than taking out cargo ships with asm's from stand-off range

can't naval mines be air dropped? i feel like i've seen mines listed as a major concern for shipping

Not undetected. Russian war planes can't approach Ukrainian waters any more than their ships can.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

golden bubble posted:

That depends on how high the officer is. Junior officers (lieutenants & captains) tend to have slightly higher casualty rates than the enlisted, even in recent wars. It's only senior officers and higher that are really less dangerous, and even then they still die quite often in peer wars. All these counter-insurgency wars have warped our expectations, because in a peer war, brigadier general moved up to get better command of the unit and then eats a stray artillery shell is not unheard of.
For example, we have all the Russian generals who have been getting blown up, and for another example,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generals_of_the_British_Empire_who_died_during_the_First_World_War

You are definitely right that while officer > investor is a pretty common transition, investor > officer is incredibly rare.

See also: German General Officer Casualties in World War II

General Officer Commander Casualties (by grade) posted:

pre:
Grade				Number Killed

Generaloberst			1
General der Infanterie, etc.	19
Generalleutnant			55
Generalmajor			61

Total				136

General Officer Commander Casualties (by position) posted:

pre:
Grade			Number Killed

Army Commanders		3
Corps Commanders	23
Division Commanders	110

Total			136

Command Durations for General Officer Commanders Killed in Action posted:

pre:
Duration		Number of Commanders	Percentage of Total

1 Month or Less		28			21
2-5 Months		33			24
6-9 Months		28			21
10-12 Months		16			12
More than 12 Months	31			22

Cause of Death for General Officer Commanders posted:

pre:
Cause of Death		Number		Percentage of Known General Officer Deaths

Artillery		8		14
Minefield		5		9
Anti-Tank Fire		5		9
Small Arms Fire		7		13
Grenade			3		5
Air Attack		18		32
Tank Fire		2		4
Partisans		5		9
Sniper			3		5

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm not sure if there are dense enough naval mine fields to cordon off Odessa at any point, I would imagine the fear is more about Russian interdiction than mines.

Russia recently halted and interrogated a civilian ship in the Black Sea so I would have been afraid of armed men pulling up and stealing all my cargo:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/stop-machine-russia-releases-video-showing-navy-boarding-cargo-ship-black-sea-2023-08-15/

Considering the US backup plan is shipping grain along the Danube, I'm not sure how many other ships would be as ballsy.
https://archive.is/wIlN2

Looks like a different ship to me unless other ships have been stopped for searches.

Ship searched was: Palau-flagged Sukru Okan
Ship sailing out of Odessa is: Honk Kong-flagged Joseph Schulte

Why would Russia seize ships leaving Ukraine? They're searching for weapons being shipped to Ukraine, so they're not going to try it on ships going the other way.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

Why would Russia seize ships leaving Ukraine? They're searching for weapons being shipped to Ukraine, so they're not going to try it on ships going the other way.

It slows down Ukraine's exports, thereby choking their economy and hindering their war efforts.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Not So Fast posted:

They're not searching for poo poo. They're leveling threats at any parties that try to do business in the area without their permission.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

That's a good question, now let me ask you if the same logic applies to Russia blowing up Ukrainian grain terminals.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lum_ posted:

Who determines this "consensus" does Russia have to agree?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

That's a good question, now let me ask you if the same logic applies to Russia blowing up Ukrainian grain terminals.

Russia attacking Ukrainian civilian infrastructure is tragic, but Russia would at least have reason for it, as part of strategic bombing campaigns to pressure the Ukrainian government.

It's much more difficult to do this with the ships travelling in the Black Sea because they're typically not registered to Ukraine but to other countries - for example this one was registered to Hong Kong, China is an ally of Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

Russia attacking Ukrainian civilian infrastructure is tragic, but Russia would at least have reason for it, as part of strategic bombing campaigns to pressure the Ukrainian government.

It's much more difficult to do this with the ships travelling in the Black Sea because they're typically not registered to Ukraine but to other countries - for example this one was registered to Hong Kong, China is an ally of Russia.

You seriously don't think that we can rephrase the sentence as:
Russia interdicting civilian cargo ships is tragic, but Russia would at least have reason for it, as part of a strategic campaign to pressure the Ukrainian government.

Reminder that the Black Sea deal was conducted with Russia inspectors so its not like they have reason to believe Ukrainian grain ships were smuggling weapons.
https://www.un.org/en/black-sea-grain-initiative

Reminder that Russia's decision to pull out of the grain deal wasn't because of Ukraine smuggling weapons but because they couldn't win back access to SWIFT as a concession.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-is-russias-problem-with-black-sea-grain-deal-2023-06-16/

I will concede that interdicting ships flying flags of other nations has more potential for political fallout and Russia hasn't done it yet, but I have no reason to see why Russia wouldn't put more pressure if the chief goal is use blackmail to ease sanctions.