Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skooma512 posted:

2. Negotiate bills like rent

?????

????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

It still makes no sense why Microsoft, Facebook, etc all laid off so many people across the company at the same time.

It's because:

1.) There was a short-term demand to raise cash

2.) An increasingly urgent need to "discipline labor"

3.) A desire to collectively reduce compensation that had been driven up by competition for scarce labor in very profitable sectors

It's shortsighted and probably not working as intended but whatever

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Go put on some gloves, nerds.

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1692238209831379071

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol didn't john deere try this and it was like 5 minutes before an ambulance had to be called

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

last time this happened with John Deere the office workers just injured a bunch of people doing work they weren't certified or trained for

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

e: ^ :argh:

Didn't someone else try this once and it ended up with the white collar workers causing a bunch of accidents and generally being unable to do anything?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hey did you guys hear about the time john deere tried that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if you're a computer toucher and you cross a picket line you deserve to get crushed by a forklift :colbert:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
haha, applied to a data science job there yesterday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cat botherer posted:

haha, applied to a data science job there yesterday.

you should salt the administrative offices and get them to unionize with UAW lol. God speed brother.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

In Training posted:

you should salt the administrative offices and get them to unionize with UAW lol. God speed brother.
Oh, I won't get the job. Like 700 applicants.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

production of rope can not abate. in fact, it must accelerate

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

cat botherer posted:

you might if you're forklift certified

are you?

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

cat botherer posted:

Nobody wants to work anymore :mad:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

More like "John? Oh Deere!

amirite

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

have housing prices actually gone down by 10+% this year

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lc70Mjp-U

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

weird how unemployment is at record low levels and no one can find a job

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

euphronius posted:

weird how unemployment is at record low levels and no one can find a job

There's a lot of jobs if you're forklift certified

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The torment nexus was a paperclip maximizer the entire time.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Shear Modulus posted:

Hey did you guys hear about the time john deere tried that

Pfft, those tractor nerds just damaged a support beam and caused a building evacuation. These Ford boys are go getters, I have faith we could see some Staplerfahrer Klaus fatalities if they actually get to the factory floor.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A friend that works in Amazon HR heard a rumor they're gonna try 5 days back in Feb lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

have housing prices actually gone down by 10+% this year

Lol theres absolutely no loving way. Unless maybe prices in the most overinflated markets dropped enough to affect the national average

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol theres absolutely no loving way. Unless maybe prices in the most overinflated markets dropped enough to affect the national average

thats basically what happened. the upper cost houses stopped selling and more people fight for the "median" house due to limited supply. so the really expensive houses are just sitting on the market which has brought the cost down. also people are buying houses in places that are cheaper rather than buying in a place like california in general.

seattle and SF i believe have shrinking populations atm (not by a lot) and people are moving into the burbs and the southeast.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

these SCABS are gonna get........ SCARS 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this would be quite the spectacle

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Beep beep. I used to program for Ford, but now I'm working on the assembly line covered in oil while I line up engine blocks for cylinder honing. Why no, nothing could possibly go wrong here!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anime was right posted:

thats basically what happened. the upper cost houses stopped selling and more people fight for the "median" house due to limited supply. so the really expensive houses are just sitting on the market which has brought the cost down. also people are buying houses in places that are cheaper rather than buying in a place like california in general.

seattle and SF i believe have shrinking populations atm (not by a lot) and people are moving into the burbs and the southeast.

means are not meaningful at this point.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
we are wall street but it’s MBA’s talkin about putting in that grind at the auto plant.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Needs a column for median paid workers in the household to really drive this home

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zodium posted:

means are not meaningful at this point.

this is affecting median too because the spread of houses is now a smaller concentration under a certain price point

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

anime was right posted:

I can see SF shrinking but just a few months ago I saw between 21-22 Seattle increased by ~2.5%

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anime was right posted:

this is affecting median too because the spread of houses is now a smaller concentration under a certain price point

medians aren't either

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
I for one support making the glasses wearing nerds in the office do physical labor and congratulate Ford on adopting Pol Pot Thought

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Cant stop laughing

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/bored-apes-sothebys-lawsuit/index.html

quote:

‘Bored Apes’ investors sue Sotheby’s, Paris Hilton and others as NFT prices collapse

quote:

CNN

A group of investors is suing Sotheby’s Holdings Inc. and others over a 2021 auction and promotion of Bored Ape Yacht Club non-fungible tokens (NFTs) following a collapse in prices for the celebrity-endorsed collectibles.

The four named plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit allege that the auction house “misleadingly promoted” the NFTs and colluded with creator Yuga Labs to artificially inflate their prices.

Sotheby’s is among 30 defendants named in the lawsuit, with celebrities like Justin Bieber and Paris Hilton also accused of promoting the NFT collection without disclosing their financial links to it.

According to cryptocurrency market tracker CoinGecko, the colorful digital illustrations of apes can now be bought for as little as $52,445. As recently as May 2022, the cheapest would have cost collectors over $400,000.

In September 2021, Sotheby’s sold over 100 of the NFTs to a single buyer in an online auction for more than $24 million, beating the pre-sale estimate of $12 million to $18 million.

The amended lawsuit, which was originally filed in December without naming Sotheby’s as a defendant, claims the sale was “deceptive” and that the auction house had been hired by blockchain company Yuga Labs to “generate investors’ interest and hype around the Bored Ape brand.”

“Sotheby’s representations that the undisclosed buyer was a ‘traditional’ collector had misleadingly created the impression that the market for (Bored Ape Yacht Club) NFTs had crossed over to a mainstream audience,” the plaintiffs’ legal team added in a complaint filed in a federal court in California earlier this month.

In a statement emailed to CNN, the auction house said: “The allegations in this suit are baseless, and Sotheby’s is prepared to vigorously defend itself.”

Representatives for Paris Hilton, whom the lawsuit accuses of having “feigned interest” in the NFTs for financial gain, and Justin Bieber did not respond to CNN’s requests for comment.

A spokesperson for Yuga Labs meanwhile said, via email: “We believe that these new allegations, like those in the previous iteration of this opportunistic complaint, are completely without merit or factual basis.

“As a media and technology company, Yuga Labs has empowered strong communities of enthusiasts and entrepreneurs to innovate, connect, and build. Their creativity has fostered community-driven projects that have captured the imagination of people around the world. That’s the story worth telling.”

The investors — a term that Yuga Labs’ spokesperson rejected, instead calling them “alleged purchasers of our products” — are seeking a jury trial and have requested more than $5 million in damages.

NFTs are used to transform works of art and other digital collectibles into one-of-a-kind, verifiable assets that can be traded via blockchains.

Prices soared in 2021, with an NFT of Twitter founder Jack Dorsey’s first ever tweet selling for $2.9 million, a video clip of LeBron James making a slam dunk fetching over $200,000 and a “Nyan Cat” GIF going for $600,000. The first virtual NFT artwork to sell at a major auction house, “Everydays: The First 5000 Days” by a digital artist who goes by “Beeple,” fetched a record $69 million at Sotheby’s rival, Christie’s.

The Bored Ape Yacht Club, a collection of 10,000 NFTs hosted on the Ethereum blockchain, launched in April 2021. The images feature cartoon apes with computer-generated features and accessories, such as gold fur, laser eyes, “hip hop clothes,” a “sushi chef” headband or a sailor hat.

The lawsuit against their creator also names several other companies involved in promoting the NFTs, such as sportswear giant Adidas, claiming they conspired in a “vast scheme” to artificially inflate prices.

Crypto payments company MoonPay is meanwhile also accused of market manipulation. The lawsuit says that Yuga Labs used MoonPay to “discreetly pay their celebrity cohorts” and make interest in the NFTs “appear to be organic” rather than the result of a paid promotion.

The amended court filing also contains testimony from a “confidential witness” — supposedly a former compliance employee at MoonPay — claiming to have sent a memo warning MoonPay that it was “potentially running afoul of securities laws” as celebrities were promoting the NFT products without disclosing their financial interests in them.

Neither Adidas nor MoonPay responded to CNN’s request for comment.

The lawsuit comes as huge swaths of the digital asset space — which includes NFTs and the cryptocurrencies usually used to buy them — are going bust after a pandemic-driven boom. It is one of several cryptocurrency-related cases brought to court in recent months.

Bored Ape Yacht Club was a major beneficiary of the celebrity hype, that helped attract new consumers to crypto — an industry rife with manipulation and fraud, and one that US regulators are now more closely scrutinizing in the wake of the collapse of crypto exchange FTX.

In March this year, the Securities and Exchange Commission charged eight celebrities for not disclosing they were paid to promote cryptocurrencies.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

First the writers brought back TikTok bans, now this:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1692276486525395185?t=3hJLmxjKvqwYOMAFOFaOjg&s=19

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

boat broke? BOAT BROKE!

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

*kicks saloon doors open with one boot* DID YOU GUYS HERE ABOUT JOHN DEERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Imagine going to court and arguing you're so stupid that you spent 8 figures on money jpegs because of Paris Hilton