Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

BisbyWorl posted:

drat who could have seen this coming

Zeratul, obviously.

edit: haha bad snipe, poll results at the end of the previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tech Spotlight: Base Upgrades

Bunker

Requirements: Default.

Projectile Accelerator
  • Cost: 40,000
  • Range of all bunkered units increased by 1.
Wolfe Industries has developed a Bunker port that houses a magnetic rail. This device dramatically accelerates all projectiles coming out of the port, increasing the range of all weapons fired from the Bunker.

Neosteel Bunker
  • Cost: 50,000
  • Bunkers gain an additional two slots.
This Bunker uses a high-density Neosteel frame, leaving more room inside for additional infantry without increasing the overall Bunker footprint.

While ordinary Bunkers can hold a maximum of four infantry, Neosteel Bunkers can house up to six infantry in fortified comfort.

Both Bunker upgrades are no-brainers. There are a lot of defense missions in Wings, and making your main defensive wall better will make things a lot easier.

Missile Turret

• Cost: 100 minerals
  • Requirements: Engineering Bay
  • Health: 250
  • Armor: 0
  • Attack: 12x2
  • Range: 7
  • Attack Speed: 0.86
  • Attributes: Armored, Structure, Mechanical
Requirements: 6 missions completed.

Titanium Housing
  • Cost: 50,000
  • Missile Turrets gain +75 life.
Enlightened Dynamics has developed a new Titanium Housing for the Missile Turret. Early adopters have found this housing to be noticeably tougher than the original, allowing Missile Turrets to absorb more punishment before failing.

Eh. Turrets have 250 life by default, making this just over a 25% increase, but Turrets are cheap enough that if you need more bulk in your air defenses you can just slap two down right next to each other.

Hellstorm Batteries
  • Cost: 80,000
  • Missile Turrets gain an additional attack.
  • The secondary attack deals 1x8 damage with a cooldown of 1.78 in an area.
Hellstorm Batteries are an additional weapon set that can be fitted to your Missile Turrets. Each battery fires several small missiles that accompany the standard missile attack and saturate the target area on impact.

Hellstorm Batteries are a great way to welcome swarms of enemy flyers to your base. Don't disappoint!

8 shots of 1 damage. The damage floor if something has more armor than you have attack is 0.5. So really, this deals 4 damage and fires half as often as a normal attack.

Neither of the Missile Turret upgrades are, like, actively bad compared to something like the Hellion or the Reaper since you'll be making a good number of them no matter what, but they're very much something you get when you have everything else you want and you have a bit of cash left lying around.

SCV

Requirements: 9 missions completed.

Advanced Construction
  • Cost: 60,000
  • Multiple SCVs can work on the same building, speeding up build times.
This revolutionary computer allows multiple SCVs to work on the same structure simultaneously. The onboard assistant is so efficient at coordinating SCV efforts that building costs are unaffected.

This upgrade is vital when trying to get a base up and running quickly, or when trying to rebuild a broken defense.

Useful for getting an expansion online ASAP, but at the same time you can always just build a new CC in your base then float it over when the expansion is clear.

Dual-Fusion Welders
  • SCVs repair speed is doubled. Repair costs are unchanged.
The SCV's ability to get damaged mechanical units back to full life, and even to repair units while they are taking damage, has been a key advantage over the Protoss and the Zerg.

The Dual-Fusion Welder allows SCVs to repair at twice the speed, improving their ability to keep damaged units alive in the heat of battle.

Really, really good. As I keep saying, defense missions abound in Wings, and doubling repair speeds makes it that much harder for a wall to get cracked.

Terran Building

Requirement: 12 missions completed.

Fire-Suppression System
  • Cost: 90,000
  • Terran buildings no longer burn down at critical life.
  • Terran buildings now automatically repair themselves up to half life.
This all-in-one safety system automatically dispatches robotic drones to put out any fires and perform basic repairs on damaged structures.

Although these drones are effective at doing basic repairs. they do not have a strong enough Al to perform the more delicate repairs needed to restore a structure past half life.

On missions with minor enemy aggression, this basically lets you not bother with putting SCVs by your defenses since half HP will be more than enough. On missions with heavy attacks, this is basically an extra source of repairs to go with all your double speed SCVs. This also opens up some niche strats on missions like The Dig, since you can now use floating buildings as spotters and not worry about chip damage.

Orbital Command
  • Cost: 125,000
  • Command Centers are now replaced by Orbital Commands, which have 50/200 energy and the Scanner Sweep and Calldown: MULE abilities.
ATVX now manufactures a satellite comlink that can reveal unexplored areas on the map.

This comlink can also call down a MULE. A MULE gathers much faster than an SUV and can produce a major surge in mineral production. Because it is a prototype, the MULE will come apart after a short period of time, but it is still well worth the cost.

The Orbital Command is far and away the biggest boost to your economy in the entire game. Why?

Abilities

Calldown: MULE
  • Cost: 50 energy.
  • Spawns one MULE at the target location that lasts for 90 seconds.
  • MULES act as workers and are capable of mining minerals and repairing, but not building or harvesting gas.
  • A mining MULE takes twice as long to mine as an SCV, but gathers 30 minerals per trip instead of 5. MULEs still mine 30 minerals even from Rich Mineral Fields.
  • A MULE can mine from nodes that are actively being mined by an SCV.
Because of this. No mineral cost, no supply, doesn't interfere with already saturated mineral lines, you just get 90 seconds of heavily boosted mineral income so long as you remember to cast it a few times every now and again. Every MULE can get around 240 minerals before they die, so an Orbital Command effectively pays for itself after just two casts.

I'm not kidding when I say that on longer missions it can be worth it to make extra Orbitals entirely to get more MULE casts off.

Scanner Sweep
  • Cost: 50 energy.
  • Targeted area is revealed for 12 seconds, showing all cloaked and burrowed units.

This, on the other hand, is nowhere near as good as it was SC1 for a very simple reason: The devs have to design every mission under the assumption you don't have it, as well as one other source of mobile detection we'll be seeing in the protoss research tree. They can't send cloaked units after the player, because there's the slim chance you don't have enough research for one and not enough cash for the other and your only option for dealing with a single Ghost would be to lure them in range of a Missile Turret. So we get no Lurkers to shred Marines, no Dark Templars to sneak around and stab your casters, and no Ghosts to try and nuke your mineral line.

Also, it shares energy with MULEs, so every cast of Scanner Sweep is effectively a 240 mineral loss.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 3, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BisbyWorl posted:

Hellstorm Batteries
  • Missile Turrets gain an additional attack.
  • The secondary attack deals 1x8 damage with a cooldown of 1.78 in an area.
Hellstorm Batteries are an additional weapon set that can be fitted to your Missile Turrets. Each battery fires several small missiles that accompany the standard missile attack and saturate the target area on impact.

Hellstorm Batteries are a great way to welcome swarms of enemy flyers to your base. Don't disappoint!

8 shots of 1 damage. The damage floor if something has more armor than you have attack is 0.5. So really, this deals 4 damage and fires half as often as a normal attack.

Neither of the Missile Turret upgrades are, like, actively bad compared to something like the Hellion or the Reaper since you'll be making a good number of them no matter what, but they're very much something you get when you have everything else you want and you have a bit of cash left lying around.

Fun Fact About Hellstorm Batteries #1: It's actually a lot better than it initially appears. The Hellstorm missile swarm hits in an area, so that 4 damage is multiplied against how many enemies it's hitting at once. Considering that the primary opponent of Wings of Liberty are the Zerg and they just love to send packs of flying units to harass, Hellstorm Batteries do a lot more work than you'd initially think.

Fun Fact About Hellstorm Batteries #2: They are lag-generating machines. The engine chokes when there's more than 4 attacks resolved at once per weapon attack instance, and Hellstorm Batteries have twice as many. On top of that, each individual projectile's corkscrew flight pattern has to be calculated and executed, which is also something that the engine hates. If you get enough Hellstorm Batteries going off at once (which is a guarantee if you do certain missions), your game will turn into a slideshow.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

rastilin posted:

I don't really forgive them for that writing.

Oh, neither do I. I don't mean to excuse the writing, or suggest that there weren't/aren't any better alternatives. I think it's horrible, and I think even in the replies in this thread and Cythereal's thread we've seen people offer better solutions. I just meant that I can see what the impetus was. I understand the problem they were trying to solve and why they chose the solution they did, even though I feel that it's the worst possible solution and there were much better ways they could have gone about it, in contrast to SC2 where I just don't even know what they were going for or why. I have no idea what the impetus was other than "Blizzard likes retelling stories."

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Mules are the real reason why planetary fortresses kinda suck... by upgrading to PF, you lose Mules.

Also it is "fun" to go from campaign terran to skirmish terran and find out just how much stuff works completely differently, like having to upgrade to get access to mule, making PF more of an interesting trade-off. :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Xarn posted:

Mules are the real reason why planetary fortresses kinda suck... by upgrading to PF, you lose Mules.

Also it is "fun" to go from campaign terran to skirmish terran and find out just how much stuff works completely differently, like having to upgrade to get access to mule, making PF more of an interesting trade-off. :v:

PFs are still more of a 4th+ base thing, and once you get to 5-6 bases you'll probably want a few extra (not at any bases) orbitals for more mules.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PFs would be worth it if they dealt absolutely absurd damage. Ballpark of 500 damage a shot, minimum.

They don't, so they aren't.

E: To be clear, this is about ladder. In the Campaign you can have your cake and eat it too, if you so choose.

Kith fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 15, 2023

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Also the base upgrades are all so good. The entire category is mostly no-brainers. The Missile Turret ones maybe aren't as essential sub-Brutal, but they're still good. The multi-build one is maybe the weakest pick of the lot but even then it's still very strong and helps a lot to get your base up quickly, especially good for when it's Macro Time and you want to plunk down four Factories.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Worth noting, in campaign orbital commands and planetary fortresses are not mutually exclusive.

It is entirely possible to skip bunkers entirely and just build planetary fortresses and siege tanks for defense - and this can be downright practical in some situations, because PFs have far more HP than bunkers. Example. (Spoilers for Wings of Liberty, should anyone care!)

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 15, 2023

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Worth noting, in campaign orbital commands and planetary fortresses are not mutually exclusive.

It is entirely possible to skip bunkers entirely and just build planetary fortresses and siege tanks for defense - and this can be downright practical in some situations, because PFs have far more HP than bunkers. Example.

Funny you should be the one to post this, I was just thinking about the Warcraft 3 equivalent and how easy the final Undead mission in RoC is if you use Halls of the Dead instead of Spirit Towers. I was thinking about it because I recently played a mission in LotV that also is trivialized through weaponized town halls. It seems Blizzard never really realized just how powerful these structures are on defense missions if you build your walls out of them.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kith posted:

PFs would be worth it if they dealt absolutely absurd damage. Ballpark of 500 damage a shot, minimum.

They don't, so they aren't.

E: To be clear, this is about ladder. In the Campaign you can have your cake and eat it too, if you so choose.

A PF does sieged tank damage, including splash, for 0 supply cost and with 1500 HP. Add in that you can increase the range from 6 to 7 and give this thing a total of 5 armor with engineering bay upgrades, and I have no idea what your concern is. On ladder, defensive structures are to require your opponent to commit more fully to doing damage or to buy time for your army to respond.

For context, standing in a full duration storm is 80 damage. Mines do 125 to the primary unit and have splash zones. A disruptor does 145 damage (with additional to shields). A nuke does 300 damage to units and 500 to structures.

So you think for a PF to be worth it it needs to hit harder than a nuke? :v:

And if you want mules in a late game situation, you just build a lot of orbitals. They don't need to be near the minerals they call the mules down on, after all.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Synastren posted:

A PF does sieged tank damage, including splash, for 0 supply cost and with 1500 HP. Add in that you can increase the range from 6 to 7 and give this thing a total of 5 armor with engineering bay upgrades, and I have no idea what your concern is. On ladder, defensive structures are to require your opponent to commit more fully to doing damage or to buy time for your army to respond.

For context, standing in a full duration storm is 80 damage. Mines do 125 to the primary unit and have splash zones. A disruptor does 145 damage (with additional to shields). A nuke does 300 damage to units and 500 to structures.

So you think for a PF to be worth it it needs to hit harder than a nuke? :v:

And if you want mules in a late game situation, you just build a lot of orbitals. They don't need to be near the minerals they call the mules down on, after all.

Everyone I've ever talked to that were Diamond and above felt that PFs were a waste of time because being on the defensive meant that you weren't going on the offensive, and that's what you needed to do to win. Also if you built a PF then that's just an Orbital that you've missed out on, meaning fewer MULEs for mining and/or repair.

Of course the meta has probably shifted since that talk, so maybe I'm just dumb as hell for not thinking about the passage of time and you're totally right. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The pro strat is to float a CC into your opponent's base and turn it into a PF right on top of them :v:

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
There's a guy who is a semi-retired pro who now just spends all his time making gimmick challenge videos, like starting a new account and getting to grandmaster using only all siege tanks or all battlecruisers

He relies very heavily on the loophole that he can build whatever buildings he wants though, and gets like 15 planetary fortresses to defend while he's off doing dumb cheese across the map

They seem to work really well for him, so

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

PFs are good in multiplayer because they force your opponent to commit tech units or a lot of supply if they want to harass your fringe bases, rather than just sending in 100 minerals worth of zerglings and forcing the entire base to evacuate. In a situation where both you and your opponent are turtling at max supply and you're banking a lot of resources, it can be good to poo poo up chokepoints on the map with them too.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kith posted:

Everyone I've ever talked to that were Diamond and above felt that PFs were a waste of time because being on the defensive meant that you weren't going on the offensive, and that's what you needed to do to win.

Well no, it's very possible to be attacked while you are also attacking. A PF will make e.g. ling/zealot runbys much easier to deal with, and that's often more valuable than another orbital (which you probably have like 8 of later on, anyway).

Anyway I just went into channel HarstemCasts and clicked the first game with Terran it I saw, and HeroMarine built a PF at his fourth base against herO. I think that's always been fairly meta, too, but I might be remembering wrong.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
For basically as long as I've been watching SC2 it's been meta to make the 3rd or 4th base into a PF.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Well poo poo, today I learned. :eng101:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I once heard that SC1 walling is why the AoE2 TC, the one combo civilian building and tower before the costly (especially in stone which is not that used) castles, has 3/4 of its surface walkable to all units of all sides.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Warcraft 3 buildings are also walkable around the edges except for farm and tower equivalents, presumably for similar reasons.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
People been walling since Warcraft 1, not sure why they'd have a problem with it now.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
A greenhorn defends their base with bunkers.

A veteran defends their base with bunkers barricaded behind supply depots and supported by siege tanks.

A master immediately lifts off and moves to an island or inaccessible mountain at the start of the game and techs straight to cloaked wraiths on offense while the opponent wastes time on things like scouting or building a ground army.

/S kind of but I tried that more than once back in ye olde dayes and it worked a non-zero number of times.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Reminds me of the guys on here that called themselves clan towah or something in wc3. They'd set up team games and then move on top of an unreachable cliff and barricade it to hell and back with towers. Then they'd sit there and laugh as their opponents threw themselves at their unbreakable wall until either they ran out of resources on the map or ragequit in frustration.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That would be the illustrious Clan Towa and the map in question is known as Highperch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

clan towa are heroes and legends all

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Felinoid posted:

People been walling since Warcraft 1, not sure why they'd have a problem with it now.

Lots of people think that aggression should be easier because aggression is fun and keep the game time down. A good numbers of gamedevs and RTS pros agree.

Which is correct and fair, even if it sometimes gets a little exaggerated, I'm glad some devs go hard on "probe and evaluate and then bypass or commit" because it also makes for some interesting play and keeps some variety in the RTS space.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Static defenses tend to be inherently unfavourable in most RTS games because there's almost always a mobile unit that outranges them, and you can't later commit them to the offense. Mobile units for attacking with, can also be used for defense, so there's never any wasted units there.

Static defenses tend to be good or even great in the singleplayer portion of the game since the AI will almost always smash hordes of goons into them, rather than keeping their artillery out of range(with the units the AI would waste guarding the artillery), shelling your static defenses, and forcing you to commit your own mobile forces to pry them out of a temporary strongpoint, or simply bypassing the static defenses with fast units that can get into the soft core of your base out of range of your static defenses and cause havoc. The latter two being what I'd expect a human player to do.

The imbalance gets even wilder once you get into games that have "superweapons" like the C&C games, which allow an enemy player to wipe out anything static without even committing any forces, so anything other than attacking first and preventing them from getting/using those superweapons tends to be a losing play.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

bladededge posted:

A master immediately lifts off and moves to an island or inaccessible mountain at the start of the game and techs straight to cloaked wraiths on offense while the opponent wastes time on things like scouting or building a ground army.

This sounds like the sort of thing I would do which makes me a bit suspicious about it. I read in a book about military tactics that amateurs are always looking for a superweapon or trick to overwhelmingly beat opponents, and solid (albeit) boring tactics in the hands of a veteran will win every single time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

painedforever posted:

This sounds like the sort of thing I would do which makes me a bit suspicious about it. I read in a book about military tactics that amateurs are always looking for a superweapon or trick to overwhelmingly beat opponents, and solid (albeit) boring tactics in the hands of a veteran will win every single time.

This is pretty much a golden rule in SC2 and most other RTS games. All of the "cheap" strategies are very effective against new and inexperienced players if used by someone who can execute them properly, but they almost always involve sacrificing something that leaves you open for a player who recognizes what you're doing to withstand and then heavily punish you for it. It's certainly still possible to catch a pro off guard, it's just so much less likely because they've generally seen that kind of thing dozens of times before and know what buttons to push to make it collapse.

Like the floating island expansions on certain SC2 maps, first of all you're at an immediate disadvantage because it takes some time to get your CC over there and that's time you're not spending building up your economy. Experienced players will be scouting for your base to see what your start looks like regardless, so if they see you aren't at any valid starting position they'll know what's up and be able to play accordingly.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You see that in every StarCraft tournament, a lucky person can go quite far in single elimination rounds and then get stomped by a pro's pro if they have to get more than 2 wins to move on

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

painedforever posted:

That’s true but also: You know what other tactic leads to an amateur losing to a competently playing veteran?

Literally all of the usual tactics. If you’re completely outclassed, you’re almost never winning by playing it straight because of the raw skill difference. But maybe if you with an oddball high-variance strategy, you can get lucky and catch the opponent off-guard.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

MagusofStars posted:

That’s true but also: You know what other tactic leads to an amateur losing to a competently playing veteran?

Literally all of the usual tactics. If you’re completely outclassed, you’re almost never winning by playing it straight because of the raw skill difference. But maybe if you with an oddball high-variance strategy, you can get lucky and catch the opponent off-guard.

The counterpoint to that is that Starcraft, and SC2, isn't entirely a single battle so much as it is a resource war with a hugely abstracted logistics system attached to it, and one of the biggest advantages that veterans have over new players is a much better grasp of the logistics involved rather than micro advantage (although obviously they often have that as well). Moreover, the entire game is built around when you choose to compromise your economy to threaten your opponent with victory. Floating your command center actually exacerbates this disadvantage, handing both map control and economy time to your much stronger opponent without actually threatening them.

If you're looking for a high-variance oddball strategy, you're actually looking at cheese like the classic six-pool, cannon rushing or proxy barracks since those try to eliminate the economic skill disadvantage by A) limiting the time involved (and thus the advantage gained), B) betting on the lack of available information for their opponent and finally C) pressuring your opponent when they may be unready. The strength of SC2 is that no build is purely capable of answering all possible timing pushes, the veteran must choose which possible pushes they wish to counter, leaving them open to being blindsided.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Yes, but that wasn't the assignment. The post was about how a "master" would defend instead of walling.

I always thought RTS favoured a more Jeet Kune Do approach; you intercept attacks with attacks of your own.

EDIT: Sorry, I was also replying to MagusofStars.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Torchlighter posted:

The counterpoint to that is that Starcraft, and SC2, isn't entirely a single battle so much as it is a resource war with a hugely abstracted logistics system attached to it, and one of the biggest advantages that veterans have over new players is a much better grasp of the logistics involved rather than micro advantage (although obviously they often have that as well). Moreover, the entire game is built around when you choose to compromise your economy to threaten your opponent with victory. Floating your command center actually exacerbates this disadvantage, handing both map control and economy time to your much stronger opponent without actually threatening them.

If you're looking for a high-variance oddball strategy, you're actually looking at cheese like the classic six-pool, cannon rushing or proxy barracks since those try to eliminate the economic skill disadvantage by A) limiting the time involved (and thus the advantage gained), B) betting on the lack of available information for their opponent and finally C) pressuring your opponent when they may be unready. The strength of SC2 is that no build is purely capable of answering all possible timing pushes, the veteran must choose which possible pushes they wish to counter, leaving them open to being blindsided.
That makes sense. I was more thinking about it in general terms of “if you play heads up you’re losing to a better player, so you have to try SOMETHING to win” - and in an SC specific context, I can see where (like you suggest) that something should be a different type of cheese strat rather than delaying your opening by flying elsewhere.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

High level pros will absolutely throw a ridiculous cheese into a best of 5 or 7 if they're playing someone worse than they are, precisely because they know their opponent thinks they don't need to do it

That said, floating your starter CC to an island only really worked as a cheese strat at launch when maps still had gold bases near player spawns.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

As somebody who has played many pro players, I can confirm that the trick is to hit them with a wacky build or cheese if you're genuinely trying to win. I even took a tournament game off a Korean pro named Hush when he was in Code S with a proxy hatchery at the gold base near his main and then using overlords to drop zerglings in early. I got lucky because he was doing a gimmicky fast dark templar build which didn't come online quick enough to adequately defend. When I was a diamond league rookie back in 2012 and first started entering online Australian tournaments, I won lots of early round Bo1 ZvZs against grandmaster players with a real specific and rare variant of a zergling rush.

Of course, given that there is a near certainty that even your cheese won't work, if you're a somewhat serious player they're good to play straight-up against so you can test yourself and identify weaknesses in your game and what they do differently than the people you're playing on ladder, but of course you have to be in the category of 'good but not pro' to really get anything out of that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Sometimes you need to hit someone with a wakeup super so that your opponent knows they need to respect it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

This is pretty much a golden rule in SC2 and most other RTS games. All of the "cheap" strategies are very effective against new and inexperienced players if used by someone who can execute them properly, but they almost always involve sacrificing something that leaves you open for a player who recognizes what you're doing to withstand and then heavily punish you for it. It's certainly still possible to catch a pro off guard, it's just so much less likely because they've generally seen that kind of thing dozens of times before and know what buttons to push to make it collapse.

Like the floating island expansions on certain SC2 maps, first of all you're at an immediate disadvantage because it takes some time to get your CC over there and that's time you're not spending building up your economy. Experienced players will be scouting for your base to see what your start looks like regardless, so if they see you aren't at any valid starting position they'll know what's up and be able to play accordingly.

There's an ancient episode of the Series-that-started-well-but-went-downhill-fast "When cheese fails" of somebody trying to proxy rush Crota (a popular shoutcaster). It didn't end well.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the only episode of that I ever watched was a PF episode and it was superb. The commentators trying too hard was just, par for the course 2011 youtube. If it went downhill fast I'm glad I quit while I was ahead.

101 episode 7, if my quick yt search is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RIP Pylo the Pylon