Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm anti-sleeve. How many times does a game get played enough that you really wear out a copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

jesus WEP posted:

how many games do you have where the last time you took it out was to sleeve it? i have at least 3 but i know someone will beat that

I have at least 4 but one of them I only got recently. Would be 5 but I played Concordia sleeved for the first time yesterday.

Actually, this post is now about Concordia Solitaria and specifically the co-op mode. It has team play similar to Venus, but I have actually not yet played with the Venus cards yet and now that my number of Concordia players locally is an odd number I might not have a chance for a while. The co-op works just like the solo mode where you take an action and it responds, but between those two actions your teammate takes the same action as you (except in the case of the dual identities) and Contrarius only reacts to what you do. Just as in the solo play, the automa that controls Contrarius is pretty simple. Its actions are intuitive, with the only slow down when trying to figure out where it builds, but since that is almost always limited to one type, the options are few. It mostly acts the same as a player would do, except it doesn't seem to do something like move a colonist to the far side of a city it is building in to get closer to the far off territories. Overall, I think it was wise to make Contrarius not use money or goods or anything and let it remain quite snappy.

The two starting hands are different from each other: one has a Prefect and an Architect, one has a Diplomat and a Prefect With Prefectus Magnus. It might seem unfair, but you get to get the double bonus just the same when they use it. The Legatus card is interesting; it basically tells your teammate to go instead, if you really need to change up the order of operations and have them Mercator first or something. With only one player having a Diplomat, if Contrarius randomly takes it, it does kind of hem in your options. Same as in the solo, for the most part Contrarius' reactions pivot away from your actions: if you buy cards, it builds and if you build, it takes cards, and most of the rest of the time it gains points in proportion to the value of the region you're hitting. We lost: we both built extensively, but it grabbed twice as many cards as we did so despite each of our cards being so much more valuable it wasn't enough.

We had a good time with it, though it's more complicated being able to review the board to make sure you're both in a position to use the Architect or Praetor or whatever. We got a little AP while planning multiple moves ahead in ways we don't in a normal game, for the most part. I don't think it's as good as the solo or normal competitive gameplay, but it's a perfectly nice way to play if you want co-op.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm anti-sleeve. How many times does a game get played enough that you really wear out a copy?
I have a few:

- Gloomhaven (but only the player and modifier decks)
- The Crew
- Scout
- Hanabi
- Space Alert

I guess Dominion, too, but that's so many cards. I looked at the effort/expense of sleeving that, and decided I'd rather just buy a new copy if the cards ever got too worn to play with.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

I like the matte transparent from dragon shields, but I only sleeve for games that require shuffling. Most other sleeves feel too flimsy or slippery to me.

These are the only sleeves I'll use for standard sized cards. With other sleeves, cards tend to go right up to the top or even poke out a millimeter.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I sleeve games that get played a lot. It's not like I'm baselessly paranoid about cards wearing out and tearing. It's actually happened to my games. When my Spirit Island cards started to split (a game with hardly any shuffling) I sleeved it immediately.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I sleeve games that are old oe out of print which is a lot of my collection. It only takes one accident or drink to ruin cards.

I prefer unsleeved feel though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sleeving cards is a relaxing activity so I am pro-sleeve

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I sleeve my cards so I don’t have to come off like a psycho when I ask my friends to wipe the Cheeto dust off their hands before playing a board game.

edit: likewise the amount of self-control I exert when people at the table absentmindedly bend cards is laudatory.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

normalise eating board game snacks with chopsticks, imo

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Frozen Peach posted:

I like sleeveing games. Its a zen-type thing for me. I'm weirdly quick about. But I also do not have so many games that I will never get through them and like to replay games. I also don't get the most expensive sleeves, because I do not like paying a much for sleeves as I do for the game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Frozen Peach posted:

I have covered this already :colbert:

Morpheus posted:

Will I play the games more than a few times? How about shut uuuuup

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sleeving cards is a relaxing activity so I am pro-sleeve

Yeah I do like this part. I've got a box of sleeve containers/bags and whenever I get a game I want to sleeve I sit down with it, go through the sleeves to find the right fit, sleeve the cards while listening to some music or something, it's quite nice.

I stack my games vertically so poo poo gets messed up, I get the same vibe when I sit down to open the box and put everything in the right place, looking through the pieces and cards as I do. Meditative, almost.

I will draw a line at sleeving sometimes though. For example, I have a copy of Millenium Blades. Not going to sleeve that one. And when it comes to, like, Arkham Horror LCG, I sleeve the players that are playing, and the current encounter deck, and that's it. When the scenario's over, I take the encounter deck sleeves off and transfer them to the next set.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
then there’s this poo poo

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
For me sleeving is much less about protecting and much more about how much nicer the cards feel and how much easier it is to mash shuffle.

I play a whole lot of mtg though so sleeving is super normalised and I have a ton of spares kicking around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For something like dice throne? gently caress you I sleeve everything.

For Frosthaven? I am a minimalist kinda. Player cards, amds, curses, and blessds.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

!Klams posted:

For me sleeving is much less about protecting and much more about how much nicer the cards feel and how much easier it is to mash shuffle.

Oh yeah this is a big thing for me. I can't ripple shuffle worth poo poo (and I don't like how it bends the cards) so being able to mash shuffle is a huge boon.

Hey I won't begrudge people who want, like, real premium stuff, especially if they're getting a lot of plays out of their games. I see it like people who want metal coins or minis instead of tokens, that sort of thing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Would t want those near-indestructible waterproof cards getting damaged…

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Everything I own is sleeved if sleeves at all exist (and I would be getting coin capsules for stuff like Orleans if I wasn't thinking of getting the geekup set already). Importing games is a pain in the rear end, the only non-local publisher that brings their stock here is Devir. Like, you want a big, meaty euro? Here are your locally available options:

- Lost Ruins of Arnak
- IKI
- Praga Caput Regni
- Messina 1347
- Marco Polo II
- Bitoku
- The Red Cathedral

That's it.
Anything else, I pay between $30 and $50 in shipping + 75% taxes + customs fees. So the cheapest Concordia copy I can get is $160. Smaller stuff like Jaipur or Hanamikoji is around $60 to $80. And these are the cheaper options - very few stores, comparatively, ship to Argentina. To give you an idea, my collection would sell for about $2500 (USD, just to be clear) and I own 60 games, none of which are deluxe editions or kickstarter games lol
Also, you get a limited amount of imports per year before you start paying around 50% more per import. Did I mention the import process can take a month and a half at its quickest?
Now you know why I sleeve everything under the sun.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 17, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My sleeve-a-game diagnosis looks like this:
1. How likely are these cards to show wear during normal gameplay?
2. How important is it that these cards do not show wear?
3. How unpleasant will it be to replace these?

I'll never sleeve Sushi Go or Bohnanza because they are in-print and inexpensive (point 3) and I would need to play them A LOT before they deteriorate (point 1).
I sleeve Coup, because the game is ruined if a card is marked (point 2) and I don't want to buy 15 new cards for $14 (point 3)
I sleeve every deckbuilder because there's so much shuffling (point 1), and the uneven wear of starter cards will spoil the game (point 2).
I sleeve expensive or out of print games, because <$5 of sleeves is a lot better than paying $100+ to replace key components (point 3).
I sleeve most of my games I play with my kids, because the added stiffness helps them not mangle the cards with their grubby paws and helps them shuffle. (I also prefer mash shuffling with sleeves)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah for example I would never sleeve stuff that isn't on the table or is only rarely held in hand e.g Gloomhaven's event cards

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

Once is all it takes when somebody is eating or drinking carelessly, or somebody decides they need to riffle shuffle their deck of ten cards and in doing so creases some.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I sleeve every game I buy because shuffling unsleeved cards feels bad

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

WhiteHowler posted:

I guess Dominion, too, but that's so many cards. I looked at the effort/expense of sleeving that, and decided I'd rather just buy a new copy if the cards ever got too worn to play with.

I have a sleeved copy of Dominion with all expansions and I very much recommend that people do not sleeve Dominion. It'll be your base cards that show wear long before any kingdom cards and they sell a SKU of just base cards. I've got to many sunk costs to stop now, though.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I sleeve anything with a relatively low number of cards where a marked card would impact the game like good face bad face or coup. I’ll also sleeve anything that is out of print. I’ll sometimes sleeve games that requires a large amount of handling and shuffling the cards, but they have to still fit in the original box, which precludes many oinks and many card games I like including photograph and voodoo prince. and then there’s netrunner which has like five actively-used discernibly-different cardbacks for each side (FFG regular, FFG promo, Nisei, NSG, proxies) so that all gets sleeved no matter what.

Frozen Peach posted:

says the lady with vested interest in ensuring perpetual sales of her trick-taker :tinfoil:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I once played with someone that had a copy of a game (I can't remember which one, it was some MWE, but it wasn't bad), and had every single counter in the game preserved within a tiny ziplock bag. And when I mean every single one, I do mean every single one. I don't know if the guy was an extreme germophobe or really didn't want to see any tear-and-wear on his games.

Like tiny ziplocks, I didn't even know they existed. Think stuff like that, but smaller:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if someone owns those they are either a clean freak, or are extremely into drugs

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

homullus posted:

Once is all it takes when somebody is eating or drinking carelessly, or somebody decides they need to riffle shuffle their deck of ten cards and in doing so creases some.

That reminds me, I have a friend that plays a LOT of Netrunner who has a habit of....I don't know how to explain it, they transfer cards from one hand to another, one card at a time, by sliding it across their hand of cards with a snap sound, repeatedly with each card. Doesn't affect the cards or anything, but man, it bugs the hell out of me and generally I throw something at him. Also has a tendency to snap counters and tokens idly on the table. Anyone else know someone like this?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Morpheus posted:

That reminds me, I have a friend that plays a LOT of Netrunner who has a habit of....I don't know how to explain it, they transfer cards from one hand to another, one card at a time, by sliding it across their hand of cards with a snap sound, repeatedly with each card. Doesn't affect the cards or anything, but man, it bugs the hell out of me and generally I throw something at him. Also has a tendency to snap counters and tokens idly on the table. Anyone else know someone like this?

I feel every TCG player does that

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Morpheus posted:

pretty sure we have the same friend (also a goon, name starts with k) and he’s the most aggressive flicker I’ve encountered at the table. played scout with him the other day and it was a small lol seeing him actively working to not compulsively flick

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jewmanji posted:

I sleeve my cards so I don’t have to come off like a psycho when I ask my friends to wipe the Cheeto dust off their hands before playing a board game.

edit: likewise the amount of self-control I exert when people at the table absentmindedly bend cards is laudatory.

Are you me? I sleeve everything because otherwise I spend half the game trying to psychically will everyone else at the table to be nice to my drat cards. Or I can sleeve them and relax.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

panko posted:

pretty sure we have the same friend (also a goon, name starts with k) and he’s the most aggressive flicker I’ve encountered at the table. played scout with him the other day and it was a small lol seeing him actively working to not compulsively flick

...wait, did you also play Brass, Hamsterrolle, and Hansa Teutonica with him the other day, because if so lol.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

To the degree it got a meme card in one of the mtg joke sets:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Morpheus posted:

...wait, did you also play Brass, Hamsterrolle, and Hansa Teutonica with him the other day, because if so lol.

:yeah: it was an uncommon game day where I picked and brought over the entire itinerary (hamsterrolle, mountain goats, hansa teutonica, brass lancashire, scout, hamsterrolle again). I sussed out that you knew him a few months back because he mentioned in the board game channel on our netrunner discord that he was hosting a friend at his place and that he got gingkopolis to the table, and you’d posted in this thread that you were staying over with a friend and had played gink.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

Are you me? I sleeve everything because otherwise I spend half the game trying to psychically will everyone else at the table to be nice to my drat cards. Or I can sleeve them and relax.

My spouse struggles with dry skin and treats her hands with vaseline during the winter. So, yeah. Being accommodating to my them is always going to be more important that keeping my stupid board game in mint condition, but still.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

canyoneer posted:

My sleeve-a-game diagnosis looks like this:
1. How likely are these cards to show wear during normal gameplay?
2. How important is it that these cards do not show wear?
3. How unpleasant will it be to replace these?

I sleeve Coup, because the game is ruined if a card is marked (point 2)
The first game I sleeved for preservation purposes* was Spirit Island. My stage 1 Mountains card got a distinctive mark on the top of the backside, a replacement would cost me $7 including shipping, and this was long before Horizons was heard of. I tried playing with the marked card, but it just ruined the game for me. So the first thing I did was order the replacement. The second was order enough sleeves in both sizes to sleeve the whole game. Now I've become a convert and sleeve most games. When I think about what a pair of greasy mitts could have done to my, e.g., BSG (with all expansions) before I sleeved it, I shudder.

(* I sleeved Pandemic long ago in opaque-backed sleeves of two different colors because I had the first edition base game, which was incompatible in design with at least one of the expansions, so I had to obfuscate the backs of the cards.)

---

On another note: I think I may be done with Viticulture. The game is just too reliant on visitor cards. Whether it's the base set or the Rhine Valley replacements, there's so much variability that it can really turn the game on a dime...or keep you standing still. "Build a cottage," you say, "and get twice as many cards, improving your odds of getting a good card!" Ehh, if I wanted a game with two stacks of random cards that ruled your success in the game, I'd pull out Monopoly.

What burns me is not that they're all super-good, but that some are "earn $2 or plant a vine" and others are "upgrade your cellar (a $6 savings if you go from medium to large)." If they all had roughly equal utility, or if you had to go out of your way to draw them -- or maybe no one gets them after the start unless you have the cottage, in which case you get one of your choice each year -- maybe the game would be more enjoyable.

Also: the wake-up mechanic is clever but the rewards for going early are just too good. When I acquire the rights and reprint the game: going 1st will be -1 VP, 2nd is get nothing, 3rd is $1, 4th is green card, 5th is purple card, 6th is a VP or a visitor card (your choice), and 7th is the extra worker.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I like Viticulture a lot, but for me it goes in the bucket of games that give you a really good Euro feel but aren't going to be exciting competitively. I love a lot of games like this (Lord of Waterdeep is a big one for me) but I go a while between plays and usually with people who don't play a ton of games.

I'm not sure if you could fix Viticulture, I think if you tuned it to be more competitive it would lose more than it gains. But yeah for something I want to play over and over I'd go with something else.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I generally avoid visitor cards entirely in Viticulture mainly because I dislike them but also because I've often heard that visitor cards are crucial and I disagree. It's entirely possible to play competitively without leaning on them, you just gotta always be VP'ing at every chance.

Seriously though if you're the only player NOT leaning on visitor cards I think that might actually translate to a (slight) advantage? Since unlike everyone else you aren't spending actions on it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Eyes Have It posted:

Seriously though if you're the only player NOT leaning on visitor cards I think that might actually translate to a (slight) advantage? Since unlike everyone else you aren't spending actions on it.
A lot of the cards translate into accelerated tempo, either of actions or money: e.g., "choose 2 of: gain $2 (equal to giving a tour), plant a vine, or harvest a field" is two actions for one. Then, if you're high enough in the turn order, you may get to play two of these cards as one action -- four actions for one. You have to have the right cards to pull it off, but if you've built the cottage, which I'm starting to think is necessary for high-level play, people will get a critical turn or two of 3-4 solid, beneficial actions out of one meeple.

Does Tuscany solve any of the problems with the game?

Oddly, I like it in theory, until I think about it or play it. Others like it, I'm going to have to play it, so I'm venting and I suppose grasping for a solution.

I should just quit my complaining and try to convince everyone to play Concordia instead, a much better game, even if the theming is a little drier than Viticulture.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Admiralty Flag posted:

On another note: I think I may be done with Viticulture. The game is just too reliant on visitor cards. Whether it's the base set or the Rhine Valley replacements, there's so much variability that it can really turn the game on a dime...or keep you standing still. "Build a cottage," you say, "and get twice as many cards, improving your odds of getting a good card!" Ehh, if I wanted a game with two stacks of random cards that ruled your success in the game, I'd pull out Monopoly.

What burns me is not that they're all super-good, but that some are "earn $2 or plant a vine" and others are "upgrade your cellar (a $6 savings if you go from medium to large)." If they all had roughly equal utility, or if you had to go out of your way to draw them -- or maybe no one gets them after the start unless you have the cottage, in which case you get one of your choice each year -- maybe the game would be more enjoyable.

This also made Viticulture World largely crap for me - it was fun checking out each of the continents once, but the actual gameplay is just cycling through looking for the visitor cards that are busted in co-op and getting them to the right person while hoping that the ridic sell wine tile comes out.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I sleeved my copy of sekigahara because the cards feel awful to shuffle unsleeved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Games that I know I will want to keep in my collection for a long time and/or will see heavy rotation is the way I decide what to sleeve.

Honestly could stand to sleeve a few more games tbh

Matte backs only.
Slippery sleeves nooooooooo.

Admiralty Flag posted:

On another note: I think I may be done with Viticulture. The game is just too reliant on visitor cards.

My friends really like Viticulture and while I don't mind playing it, you're absolutely right about the Visitor cards.
No matter how good the ground work for your wine making engine is, players can completely swing the game with a lucky or unlucky Visitor draw.

It feels really 'decoupled' from the main loop of the game, having this luck based factor being such a strong potentiality for how your engine progresses, and it would probably be improved dramatically having it as a Market/Visitor row that refreshes every season.
"Oh these are the 4-5 vip tourists that are visiting our vineyards this season" and then deciding to grab/deny them becomes a much bigger factor.