Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vic posted:

I'm pretty sure that seniority thing based on hours is illegal in my country and incredibly dumb worldwide.

I’m pretty sure Linus is incredibly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Subjunctive posted:

That’s how it works in most places that care about seniority, usually with some sort of grace period for which you can “bridge your service”. My wife is about to lose her union seniority because she’s been (voluntarily) seconded into a non-union position (in the same hospital group) for more than 2 years.

Not in a lot of places, including unionized ones. Getting your seniority reset when you got promoted would be pretty unpleasant.

Not sure how Canada works but because of the union agreement at one job the fastest way to get out was to get a promotion so I could quit on the spot because I was no longer senior enough to have to give three months notice. :wave:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Non-unionized companies in my country love doing forced rehiring with salary/benefits adjusted to 'true' seniority to stay competitive, while effectively kneecapping longtime employees severance/retirement packages.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

That’s probably what they want (it always works for Linus to tell people when he’s upset, so it must work for everyone!) but the text you captured does literally say that if someone wants a management “perspective” on an “uncomfortable” situation then they can go talk to a manager.

I’ve seen places (thankfully not as a manager or employee) that had much more explicit policy of requiring a manager to “mediate” between parties to any conflict before taking any other procedural or disciplinary action. They sucked too.

(LOL at forbidding wage discussion in Canada.)
ya i was exaggerating a bit so someone would even look at it tbh, but their ideal starting point is the employees work it out amongst themselves

Vic posted:

I'm pretty sure that seniority thing based on hours is illegal in my country and incredibly dumb worldwide.
the seniority based off of hours worked when people start on the same day was what really stuck out to me. it's another reason to work people extra, but the weirdest part is i don't see where seniority comes into play in the rest of their handbook

there's more weird poo poo in there like you can only schedule 1 week of holiday at a time, and if a national holiday is on both days then they double-dip and burn your vacation time as well rather than giving you the day back or extending the holiday

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yup literally reading the handbook where they insist you talk to whoever is causing a hostile environment rather than bother management:

there's a lot of highlights in that book these are a couple of smaller sections that stood out to me:

full handbook: https://imgur.com/a/yhaxSiQ
the parts that are horrible/funny/legal minimums: https://imgur.com/a/pGd0iqP

i'm not posting the worst ones in here directly because ooof

Wow, is it legal in Canada for employers to prohibit employees from sharing salaries and wage info with their colleagues/peers?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mA posted:

Wow, is it legal in Canada for employers to prohibit employees from discussing salaries and wages with their colleagues/peers?

I was looking this up, and it seems that there's no federal law against it in Canada. BC passed a law back in May that does this though

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mA posted:

Wow, is it legal in Canada for employers to prohibit employees from sharing salaries and wage info with their colleagues/peers?
That would be provincial jurisdiction (along with things like minimum wage, working hours, etc).

BC specifically has the PTA:

https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary-business/legislation-debates-proceedings/42nd-parliament/4th-session/bills/first-reading/gov13-1

quote:

Prohibited reprisals by employers against employees

4 An employer must not dismiss, suspend, demote, discipline, harass or otherwise disadvantage an employee, or threaten to do so, because the employee

(a) made inquiries to the employer about the employee's pay,

(b) disclosed information about the employee's pay to another employee of the employer or to an individual who has applied for employment with the employer,

(c) made inquiries to the employer about a pay transparency report or information contained in a pay transparency report,

(d) asked the employer to comply with the employer's obligations under this Act, or

(e) made a report to the director in relation to the employer's compliance with the employer's obligations under this Act.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

VostokProgram posted:

I was looking this up, and it seems that there's no federal law against it in Canada. BC passed a law back in May that does this though

I'm not sure if you just worded this weird, but it's opposite in BC. There is a law now against employers prohibiting employees from discussing their pay, as well as any sort of punishment for doing so.

And even better, publicly posted jobs now are required to list the expected pay, or pay range, for the position.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if a national holiday is on both days then they double-dip and burn your vacation time as well rather than giving you the day back or extending the holiday

There’s no reason a company would ever specifically write a policy this way unless they fully intended on treating national holidays as a soft holiday. “Happy Canada Day, I want this video done and posted by 3 or you’ll be the one installing Wifi-enabled bidets in my six bathrooms.”

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Edit: it's just a text post.

I better subscribe to Linus on floatplane to see what this video's about :

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 18, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

👀

So much for that week off lmao

Edit: "Recent" as in "recent harassment" or "recent harassment allegations" cos Madison left almost 2yrs ago?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

EngineerJoe posted:

I better subscribe to Linus on floatplane to see what this video's about :

Also posted here [it's a text post]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw/community?lb=UgkxWAcvD8HRrWdDH7Pa_BQSULaMN-sz2q0B

quote:

We are taking Madison's allegations seriously. We are conducting an internal assessment alongside bringing in a third-party investigator to look into the allegations. We are committed to publishing the findings and implementing any corrective actions that may arise due to this. Thank you for your patience, and please allow us the time necessary to be as thorough as possible in this investigation. In addition to our existing report systems - both anonymous and otherwise - we've proactively reached out internally today to encourage our team members to report any workplace bullying or harassment they might be experiencing so we can take quick and decisive action. These allegations do not align with our company's ethics or the values we preach internally. We aim to provide an inclusive work environment where everyone can feel comfortable and, more importantly, safe.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://linusmediagroup.com/

All the current lmg staff is listed here - I wish there was a bot that scans if anyone is removed as this investigation continues. Weirdly i don't see the CEO (Tennen?) listed,you'd think he'd have taken a photo by now. Maybe he's gotta get thru his probationary period first...

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 18, 2023

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Oh, that's a weird way to show text posts. I guess Floatplane doesn't really support that and they really wanted to put it there.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

Oh, that's a weird way to show text posts. I guess Floatplane doesn't really support that and they really wanted to put it there.
they should complain to whoever made that platform huh

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
This aged like milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq-Ec1L-1W4

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

"dangerous" holy lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

The top comment on that community post earlier today was great.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure if you just worded this weird, but it's opposite in BC. There is a law now against employers prohibiting employees from discussing their pay, as well as any sort of punishment for doing so.

And even better, publicly posted jobs now are required to list the expected pay, or pay range, for the position.

I meant, there was no law against the employer telling the employee to not talk about their pay. That was new with the PTA

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VostokProgram posted:

I meant, there was no law against the employer telling the employee to not talk about their pay. That was new with the PTA

Yeah that’s a good clause and I want it across the country.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Do we know anything about Linus’ upbringing? Specifically, does he come from a Dutch Christian reform background?

I worked at a distributor of high-priced farm-adjacent implements from early 2019 to late 2020 that was staffed exclusively by people who fit both of those descriptors, and the guys at the top with even an ounce of say in the direction of the company were all closet megalomaniacs and/or raging sociopaths, hiding behind the prosperity gospel to justify their absolutely atrocious self-centred and narcissistic behaviour. But question them on their behaviour and suddenly not only do they ostensibly not know what you’re talking about, but you’ve just become a problem for them.

Luckily our store was one of the out-of-province satellite offshoots of their lower BC mainland HQ (proximity to LTT’s location is what has me wondering), so I rarely had to interact with the top bosses, but every time I did I just got the vibe that these guys only loved one thing above the smell of their own farts, and that thing was power tripping.

Specifically, the first time I had any correspondence at all with any of them. This dude, who happened to be one of the company owners, was also the in-house IT guy. He sent an industrial wifi antenna to us so that I could do my job checking orders while in the tele-handler out in the yard, but conspicuously failed to send a CAT-5 cable to route it to the switch. So my supervisor sent me out to Staples, I spent $100 on the cheapest, shortest cable that would still be long enough, and two hours later got called into my supervisor’s office for a phone call, and it’s that loving IT/owner guy in BC absolutely reaming me out and having an absolute aneurism at the price I paid for that cable. I was literally sitting next to my supervisor holding the phone six inches from my ear and we could all hear this dude throw an absolute poo poo-fit of a tantrum. It was nuts.

And for some insane reason they had all of their product price markups internally available to anyone who sat down on any of the terminals and knew how to browse network folders. I’m guessing that most of their employees being prior farm labourers only and who could barely type 10wpm played some role in their lax internal security, but regardless, I knew that rear end in a top hat was making 67-80% markup on everything they sold, and that $100 wasn’t even a drop in the bucket. Dude was screaming at me because he hosed up and I was given permission to rectify his error, which I guess made him look bad and he took monumentally vindictive offense to. It was almost comical in its pathetic textbook narcissistic presentation.

I quit when their pro-life stance didn’t happen to align with wearing masks at the outbreak of a massive and unknown airborne disease, or doing anything at all to protect their workers, or the living, for that matter. That, combined with the psychotic behaviour of the guys up top, was more than enough. I’m drawing a mental line of inquiry between what I experienced at that company to what is alleged at LTT. The toxic prosperity gospel culture, the proximity of the locations, Linus being a decidedly Dutch sounding name. I’m Sherlock loving Holmes’ing this bitch (and am fully prepared to be 100% wrong because dipshit behaviour is neither exclusively Dutch nor Christian reform traits and is inherent to power structures the world over, and would merely answer my nagging suspicion, for what little that’s worth.)

Hansolio posted:

The top comment on that community post earlier today was great.

:five:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I worked with a guy in Burnaby who was extremely religious but never got into what denomination and I think it probably was Dutch reformed or whatever. Super nice guy with a bit of an odd edge all to do with the religiosity. He had an absolute gang of mids, like 7 or 8 last I had been around him who knows maybe more now.

I checked in on him a while back and he was doing technical stuff for arpa canada and looking at their website I was like yiiikes

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

XYZAB posted:

Do we know anything about Linus’ upbringing? Specifically, does he come from a Dutch Christian reform background?

I worked at a distributor of high-priced farm-adjacent implements from early 2019 to late 2020 that was staffed exclusively by people who fit both of those descriptors, and the guys at the top with even an ounce of say in the direction of the company were all closet megalomaniacs and/or raging sociopaths, hiding behind the prosperity gospel to justify their absolutely atrocious self-centred and narcissistic behaviour. But question them on their behaviour and suddenly not only do they ostensibly not know what you’re talking about, but you’ve just become a problem for them.

Luckily our store was one of the out-of-province satellite offshoots of their lower BC mainland HQ (proximity to LTT’s location is what has me wondering), so I rarely had to interact with the top bosses, but every time I did I just got the vibe that these guys only loved one thing above the smell of their own farts, and that thing was power tripping.

Specifically, the first time I had any correspondence at all with any of them. This dude, who happened to be one of the company owners, was also the in-house IT guy. He sent an industrial wifi antenna to us so that I could do my job checking orders while in the tele-handler out in the yard, but conspicuously failed to send a CAT-5 cable to route it to the switch. So my supervisor sent me out to Staples, I spent $100 on the cheapest, shortest cable that would still be long enough, and two hours later got called into my supervisor’s office for a phone call, and it’s that loving IT/owner guy in BC absolutely reaming me out and having an absolute aneurism at the price I paid for that cable. I was literally sitting next to my supervisor holding the phone six inches from my ear and we could all hear this dude throw an absolute poo poo-fit of a tantrum. It was nuts.

And for some insane reason they had all of their product price markups internally available to anyone who sat down on any of the terminals and knew how to browse network folders. I’m guessing that most of their employees being prior farm labourers only and who could barely type 10wpm played some role in their lax internal security, but regardless, I knew that rear end in a top hat was making 67-80% markup on everything they sold, and that $100 wasn’t even a drop in the bucket. Dude was screaming at me because he hosed up and I was given permission to rectify his error, which I guess made him look bad and he took monumentally vindictive offense to. It was almost comical in its pathetic textbook narcissistic presentation.

I quit when their pro-life stance didn’t happen to align with wearing masks at the outbreak of a massive and unknown airborne disease, or doing anything at all to protect their workers, or the living, for that matter. That, combined with the psychotic behaviour of the guys up top, was more than enough. I’m drawing a mental line of inquiry between what I experienced at that company to what is alleged at LTT. The toxic prosperity gospel culture, the proximity of the locations, Linus being a decidedly Dutch sounding name. I’m Sherlock loving Holmes’ing this bitch (and am fully prepared to be 100% wrong because dipshit behaviour is neither exclusively Dutch nor Christian reform traits and is inherent to power structures the world over, and would merely answer my nagging suspicion, for what little that’s worth.)

:five:

I feel like he either had his dad on in a video once, or otherwise discussed his heritage, and I don't think he mentioned anything about having Dutch ancestry.

I think he's just one of those "Vince McMahon of WWE" workaholics where the company has consumed his life so much, that he can't fathom anyone else not viewing LTT the same way, along with some of the other negative traits Vince has like being a micromanager, valuing loyalty over honesty in his subordinates, and blowing up over incredibly unimportant poo poo. Along with what's likely a healthy dose of "the company has my name on it" megalomania (and paranoia about the company failing and what that might say about him). And apparently enabling and facilitating the sexual harassers that work for him, if not potentially being a sex pest himself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

aren't dutch people meant to be tall?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I expect a few tears as he genuinely fails to understand why people are being so mean to him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will interrupt the thread to remind everyone that certified Good Lad Cathode Ray Dude's great series on weird quick boot systems has now gotten up to a laptop that could just function as a TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMwLbIQlOg

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Conspiratiorist posted:

I expect a few tears as he genuinely fails to understand why people are being so mean to him.

very excited to see what tasteless clickbait title he makes out of it

also a hearty lol at 4 hours of your company owner digging himself into holes and providing milquetoast takes on news somehow being sacred in light of serious accusations that halt all other productions

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 18, 2023

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Well it tracks with this.

I genuinely did not think they could be any dumber than putting content behind a paywall that would inevitably be taken out of context and plastered all over every site on the internet, but I can't wait to see them live.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

We are going to stop posting for a week to stop and reflect…. on how many people we can convince to pay for exclusive video content all week long baby!!!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I genuinely did not think they could be any dumber than putting content behind a paywall that would inevitably be taken out of context and plastered all over every site on the internet, but I can't wait to see them live.

LMAO a 60/40 split on a audience that is paying you to be there.

Edit: Or is this on the general forums?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Conviction is a fickle beast if you don’t have any.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Bondematt posted:

LMAO a 60/40 split on a audience that is paying you to be there.

Edit: Or is this on the general forums?

Nope, it's a Floatplane exclusive post.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Nope, it's a Floatplane exclusive post.

Lol

lmao

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Speaking of exclusivity

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15tlao4/rlinustechtips_is_in_community_only_mode/

LTT subreddit mod posted:

I've temporarily switched the subreddit to Community Only mode, meaning only people with 50+ combined /r/LinusTechTips karma can post or comment here, to deal with the influx of traffic we've had in the past few days.

This isn't in an attempt to censor dissenting opinions or cover for LMG, I'm just bored of having to deal with incels and bandwagonners from /r/all that have have just jumped on an opportunity to derail conversations and spread hatred.

Hopefully this should improve the standard of discourse, and again this is only a temporary measure that I’ll remove by Saturday.

All the best

Edit: The top post is now reinstated after being removed initially by Reddit Admins.

Honestly? Yeah I wouldn't want to be dealing with an influx of incel fucks either now that IMC lit a beacon.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

spunkshui posted:

We are going to stop posting for a week to stop and reflect….

…on how to tell you about our sponsor!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Speaking of exclusivity

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15tlao4/rlinustechtips_is_in_community_only_mode/

Honestly? Yeah I wouldn't want to be dealing with an influx of incel fucks either now that IMC lit a beacon.

I was actually just popping in to say I posted a little joke and it was auto modded out because of “community mode”. I guess by ensuring only people with a history on their subreddit can post, they can solidify that echo chamber, I mean a safe space for real fans on Team Linus.

Which tbh is totally fair; I can’t imagine how much this tonedeaf exploitative millionaire’s feelings are hurt in addition to his reputation and friends being dragged through the mud. There is literally no other way to deal with this than to try and silence as many people as possible, after all. We will learn the real truth when they company they paid finish their investigation.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

:stare:

It is times like these you need someone to slap the poo poo out of you and tell you to take a loving stand and show even the smallest shred of god drat integrity. Jesus christ, get off the motherfucking Computer.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He is hopelessly addicted to Posting/uploading content every single day even when currently if you Google "ltt" it is nothing but scandalous headlines atm. Take a loving break you freak and focus on your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

:justpost: