Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I know NB used be a hotbed for reaction and religious agitation in the public sphere because of the Orangemen, but that's clearly not what's at play here. What is the source of this energy in NB politics currently?

likely lead in the water, everyone east of the rockies is dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I haven't lived in NB for many, many years but my analysis would be that nothing has changed they've always been low key Canada's Alabama, but I'd place more blame on the crushing influence of being a one-oligarch state then lingering sectarianism.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Arivia posted:

there's a lot of Cons, and a lot of their churches, who want the church to be a big thing in public life again, and are pushing for legislating morality. it doesn't matter to them if anyone else wants it, they do.

It's an interesting problem because they are ideologically predisposed to not understand the historical role of their own churches in society. In Canada, churches had spiritual authority in public life because they looked after people's material conditions and political interests - broadly understood to be communal rather than individual. Obviously, that's anathema to modern free market conservatives. Now, the willingness of the snake handlers to accommodate this, as in the States, I don't doubt. But for the mainline churches, if the Anglican Church doesn't do anything to make your life better, and doesn't work in the interests of a self-understood Anglican Community that has solidarity extending to material conditions, what do they expect the base of support and legitimacy to be?

e: I agree that this has more to do with the Irvings than the Archbishop. Why they'd want to stir this up, I can't say. Was there an emerging working class movement that needed to be redirected towards culture war?

ee: Don't they also control most of the newspapers in the province? I guess that would be an easy way to measure their position.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It's an interesting problem because they are ideologically predisposed to not understand the historical role of their own churches in society. In Canada, churches had spiritual authority in public life because they looked after people's material conditions and political interests - broadly understood to be communal rather than individual. Obviously, that's anathema to modern free market conservatives. Now, the willingness of the snake handlers to accommodate this, as in the States, I don't doubt. But for the mainline churches, if the Anglican Church doesn't do anything to make your life better, and doesn't work in the interests of a self-understood Anglican Community that has solidarity extending to material conditions, what do they expect the base of support and legitimacy to be?

you're way overthinking this. it isn't about material conditions at all. it's just social/political backlash. pure us style "THE GAYS ARE DAMNED" poo poo.

and yeah it's not your mainline anglican churches doing this, but there's tons of evangelical little churches popping up all over the place that aren't Anglican.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The Anglican Church of Canada basically won't exist by 2040, and the Uniteds aren't far behind them.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I think Newfoundland only has one place to go for abortions and PEI zero, as well. Can’t really get with the feeling superior to Americans on this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

angerbot posted:

The Anglican Church of Canada basically won't exist by 2040, and the Uniteds aren't far behind them.

Because they agreed to stop evangelizing after meetings with the federal government wrt the welfare state.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah the clinic in Charlottetown shut down, the only one left is Summerside iirc. Otherwise you gotta go to Moncton or Hali

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

pokeyman posted:

like 30% of people in costco out west do this and only 1% of people out east idgi

... they don't do this out east?

This is truly Western alienation.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

vyelkin posted:

this is very optimistic given just how many federal elections seem to be decided by voters being tired of whoever is in office rather than being excited about whoever is trying to replace them. If voters don't want Trudeau and the Liberals, it's not like Singh and the NDP are going to suddenly form government

I, for one, will be out knocking doors for Jagmeet so we can get those subsidies for struggling landlords

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

you're way overthinking this. it isn't about material conditions at all. it's just social/political backlash. pure us style "THE GAYS ARE DAMNED" poo poo.

and yeah it's not your mainline anglican churches doing this, but there's tons of evangelical little churches popping up all over the place that aren't Anglican.

there is a united front across religious and cultural lines relating to sexuality and such. in all these anti-lgbtq+ rallies you get quite a diverse group of people. probably individually these groups would have limited visibility or influence outside of their immediate circles, but as a coalition they are able to draw more attention.

we can talk here about how canadians tolerances for anti-abortion (or anti-lgbt etc) rhetoric but we have a pretty fragmented cultural landscape and do a poor job of engaging with our neighbours and understanding their values and beliefs. I don’t think we are as united on values we feel are intrinsically “canadian” as we may think.

my morning jackass has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Aug 17, 2023

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I’ve got a family member who used to be a prog conservative, Bay Street kind of guy. Big on Garth Turner, worked on his campaign.

These days he’s a frothing “all gays are pedos” family values lunatic. the party changed, and he changed with it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The NDP is never going to get rid of Jagmeet, so I suggest we become a Khalistan or Punjabi nationalist party, with Social Democratic characteristics, and sweep the Toronto and Richmond suburbs.

my morning jackass posted:

we can talk here about how canadians tolerances for anti-abortion (or anti-lgbt etc) rhetoric but we have a pretty fragmented cultural landscape and do a poor job of engaging with our neighbours and understanding their values and beliefs. I don’t think we are as united on values we feel are intrinsically “canadian” as we may think.

:can:

That was the point of official multiculturalism but it was supposed to depoliticize people in support of a managed Laurentian Consensus welfare state.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Aug 17, 2023

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ndp will NEVER stop chasing the brampton small landlords who gave $1500 so they could have a sikh party leader (they don't even vote for the man, it's purely optics)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

This city is so loving pathetic and it's easily the best city in the country lol

is it montreal? no, then no

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

La Louve Rouge posted:

the ndp will NEVER stop chasing the brampton small landlords who gave $1500 so they could have a sikh party leader (they don't even vote for the man, it's purely optics)

I like being part of a Tammany Hall style ethnic vote machine in contemporary Canada, it's fun.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Best cities in the country, in order:

Kitchener-Waterloo
Guelph
Hamilton
Burlington
Oakville
Mississauga
Brampton
Vaughan
Richmond Hill
Markham
Pickering
Ajax
Whitby
Oshawa

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Frosted Flake posted:

I know NB used be a hotbed for reaction and religious agitation in the public sphere because of the Orangemen, but that's clearly not what's at play here. What is the source of this energy in NB politics currently?

Putting a boomer who lives in Quispam in charge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I like being part of a Tammany Hall style ethnic vote machine in contemporary Canada, it's fun.

After Trump got indicted in Georgia one of his rage truths (knockoff tweets) was something like "NO AMERICAN POLITICAL ORGANIZATION HAS EVER BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING A RACKETEERING ENTERPRISE BEFORE" and i just fuckin laughed my head off

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

eXXon posted:

Kitchener-Waterloo
Guelph
Hamilton
Burlington
Oakville
Mississauga
Brampton
Vaughan
Richmond Hill
Markham
Pickering
Ajax
Whitby
Oshawa

trick answer, all these places are toronto

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Arivia posted:

After Trump got indicted in Georgia one of his rage truths (knockoff tweets) was something like "NO AMERICAN POLITICAL ORGANIZATION HAS EVER BEEN ACCUSED OF BEING A RACKETEERING ENTERPRISE BEFORE" and i just fuckin laughed my head off

It would be nice if the NDP gave literally any spoils to the voters though. A turkey at Christmas, pharma, dental, that sort of thing.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ndp wants to lose. nate rotman blocked me on twitter for suggesting he could have won Notley's election if he used his airbnb job to procure a list of future public housing units

it also does not help that most of their activist base is cranks who purity test to the point that Joel Harden was evil for attending some roundtable a cop also attended

eXXon posted:

Kitchener-Waterloo
Guelph
Hamilton
Burlington
Oakville
Mississauga
Brampton
Vaughan
Richmond Hill
Markham
Pickering
Ajax
Whitby
Oshawa

i'm going to set this post on fire (i'm a developer who did not sell as many prebuilds as i would have liked)

La Louve Rouge has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Aug 17, 2023

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize Berlin as Kitchener

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Harden is the only politician to directly intervene in my life for good, I mean other than giving me a handshake and a medal, and is the only NDP politician I actually like, so of course they hate him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Harden is the only politician to directly intervene in my life for good, I mean other than giving me a handshake and a medal, and is the only NDP politician I actually like, so of course they hate him.

harden is a bit goofy some times but also from all accounts one of the few genuine (winning) politicians out there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AntiDepressor posted:

haha it’s like the worst of both options rolled into one. A fixed payment with none of the protection of a fixed term.

it sucks but lolling at the guy who had an infinity sign by his amortization term

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

i agree with you although i think it is material conditions, the postwar period saw a collapse in church participation and membership, and in the process of liberalising churches lost a lot of individual churches that didn't want to participate in a more socially liberal christianity. the confluence of concentration of wealth means you have both people pummeled by austerity and neoliberalism turning to fundamentalism as a balm, as well as relatively new wealthy families building networks through evangelical church groups that leads to the current climate where they feel they have common political cause.

the politicization of evangelism is important here as a lot of churches stayed out of politics or didn't act in concert with other churches but religion is i mean of organizing politically now as it has been at times in the past.

there's also the fact that the mainline churches were deeply involved in the development of Canada's social welfare programs.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It's still insane to me that our children's aid societies are split by religion.

Can't just call CAS when you see a kid getting slapped around in public, gotta check if they're baptized first

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

eXXon posted:

Kitchener-Waterloo
Guelph
Hamilton
Burlington
Oakville
Mississauga
Brampton
Vaughan
Richmond Hill
Markham
Pickering
Ajax
Whitby
Oshawa

all i know is that london is the worst city in ontario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's the worst city in a lot of other places too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
great if you're a serial killer though. those folks love it there, it's like their graceland

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

all i know is that london is the worst city in ontario

actually it's probably windsor or peterborough

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

yellowcar posted:

actually it's probably windsor or peterborough

Thunder Bay?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat horror queefs posted:

It's still insane to me that our children's aid societies are split by religion.

Can't just call CAS when you see a kid getting slapped around in public, gotta check if they're baptized first

with no orange malice in my heart i can say it's dumb that we have a publicly funded catholic school system

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It's Sarina you clowns

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The Durham region has some of the best food in the GTA sans Toronto if you know where to look and the traffic is less dire then other spots so it leaps ahead based on that. London has some of the worst loving drivers in Canada for some strange reason and there is also the racism. Hate that city.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

eXXon posted:

Kitchener-Waterloo
Guelph
Hamilton
Burlington
Oakville
Mississauga
Brampton
Vaughan
Richmond Hill
Markham
Pickering
Ajax
Whitby
Oshawa

this North York erasure will not stand

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Isentropy posted:

Thunder Bay?

never been there personally and imo northern ontario might as well be its own province

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
canada should be just the st lawrence river valley

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

then where would we put the french?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the river